Why do so many people expect blow-outs every week?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical21":2igu0wzp said:
This should have been a blowout because of how much better we are than the Redskins. If we had played a good team and made this many mistakes, we probably lose.
Exactly! Also, is it so wrong to simply discuss concerns about how we looked tonight? Some people around here get furious that anything is said that isn't rainbows & unicorns about our beloved team as long as we won the game. God forbid we discuss the ups and downs of our performance each week.

Tical21":2igu0wzp said:
The good thing is that this is another game you learn from. It isn't a game that you lose any confidence from. We're going to be both confident and hungry going into the game with the Cowboys. I can't wait to see the Cowboys fan video after the whooping we are about to put on them.
My expectation for this season hasn't changed based on tonight, and I think there's a good chance we see another video from that Dallas fan, Shango, after the Cowboys come in here and get some o' dat "Patriots vs. Bengals home cookin'"; I think we're going to play a VERY strong game against big D.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
We are every teams Super Bowl. We are going to get the best from every opponent we play. Not worried.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
volsunghawk":snhcgj47 said:
Hawkpower":snhcgj47 said:
M2MG":snhcgj47 said:
drdiags":snhcgj47 said:
The Superbowl put a nice glow of invincibility around this team, so games that were tight last year are forgotten and some think every game is 2012 Bills or Cardinals at home.

It was this way around the first Superbowl when the same type of attitude permeated the board. Took a few horrible years for dome folks to come back to reality.

True. This is the NFL, all teams are filled with NFL players. It's simply hard to win games in this league, no matter the circumstances. Our team, our quarterback, have played within the moment, gotten the plays they needed, and won the game. Just like last year so far.

I'm a long-time Seahawk fan, so I'll always find things to be worried about, but...these guys have know what they are doing. Of all the things I don't know, that's one thing that that I do know. They have proven that to this point.

Can we pin this post for all of the

Spoiled
Drunk

fans to read tonight and after several other games this year so we dont have to wade through these terrible sky falling posts every week??
I guess this is the part where we let you know that tossing around insults about other posters is not the best way to make your point, nor is it usually tolerated for long. Make your argument by all means, but leave the name calling out of it.

I didnt call anyone a name or attack anyone personally.

not sure how my statement is any different than calling out niner fans for being arrogant/ etc which is done all the time.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Tical21":26ufbl68 said:
This should have been a blowout because of how much better we are than the Redskins. If we had played a good team and made this many mistakes, we probably lose. The good thing is that this is another game you learn from. It isn't a game that you lose any confidence from. We're going to be both confident and hungry going into the game with the Cowboys. I can't wait to see the Cowboys fan video after the whooping we are about to put on them.

I think many were a bit deluded by the Giants blowout and the Skins' record. They haven't been that bad.

Defense is ranked 7th vs pass, 12th vs run, 9th overall.

Offense is 5th in passing; only thing they haven't done well is running the ball- 20th I believe.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Barthawk":3onosjtl said:
Hawkpower":3onosjtl said:
Because many of the fans who post here after games are uneducated about NFL football due to the fact that they became fans last year.

Blue Friday at the office baby.
shut up.. you know shit about shit..
No kidding, this guy's really pushing it. Kind of amusing considering what he seems to know about football based on some of his posts tonight, too...While posting on an account registered in 2013 and making fun of bandwagon Johnny-come-lately Seahawks fans...

Barthawk

Reaction score
drdiags":2c4jjlf7 said:
The Superbowl put a nice glow of invincibility around this team, so games that were tight last year are forgotten and some think every game is 2012 Bills or Cardinals at home.

It was this way around the first Superbowl when the same type of attitude permeated the board. Took a few horrible years for dome folks to come back to reality.

No, we were up 17-0 on the road. Dominating a crap team like you are supposed to do. Can't help the fact that outside influences don't want to see a 24-0/27-0 game at the half on primetime. Seriously... some of those calls have to make you wonder what the hell.. Seattle dominated the game but were only up 10 midway through the 3rd... hmmmm

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":27rjs4dm said:

Offense is 5th in passing; only thing they haven't done well is running the ball- 20th I believe.
Congratulations on listing every yardage-based offensive and defensive ranking, literally about the worst criteria to base offensive and defensive rankings on. Shame on the NFL for continuing to do it.

Redskins are 16th in DVOA on defense right now, I'll take that ranking all day every day, and not because it supports my opinion.

Barthawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":33b4k7v4 said:
Grahamhawker":33b4k7v4 said:

Congratulations on listing every yardage-based offensive and defensive ranking, literally about the worst criteria to base offensive and defensive rankings on. Shame on the NFL for continuing to do it.

Redskins are 16th in DVOA on defense right now, I'll take that ranking all day every day, and not because it supports my opinion.

Stats guys are even bigger morons.. The Eagles just gave up almost 300yds and 3tds to Austin Davis.. the 3rd String Rams QB.. Kirk Cousins threw for over 400 against them.. are you scared of Philly now and the 1.7 ypc for McCoy?

Enjoy it.. the Seahawks are by far and way the best team in the NFL.. I love it and they will dominate.. I have never been so confident in my team in my life..

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2us5sr77 said:
Grahamhawker":2us5sr77 said:

Agreed

Throw out the Giants' debacle and I bet that DVOA ranking moves up a few notches. Like to 3rd on defense/8th on offense. They're not exactly Raiders/Jacksonville level. FWIW, Pats were below Skins in overall...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Barthawk":2pqiyktb said:
Stats guys are even bigger morons..
Don't bash DVOA unless you're prepared to explain why in detail to justify your opinion of it. There are stats, then there is DVOA.

Grahamhawker":2pqiyktb said:
Throw out the Giants' debacle and I bet that DVOA ranking moves up a few notches.
You don't have to throw out anomalies when it comes to DVOA, that's part of the real beauty of it. They are compensated quite well for it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":hikk7rr3 said:
Barthawk":hikk7rr3 said:
Hawkpower":hikk7rr3 said:
Because many of the fans who post here after games are uneducated about NFL football due to the fact that they became fans last year.

No kidding, this guy's really pushing it. Kind of amusing considering what he seems to know about football based on some of his posts tonight, too...While posting on an account registered in 2013 and making fun of bandwagon Johnny-come-lately Seahawks fans...

Clearly the fact that I registered here in 2013 is an indicator that THAT is the day I became a fan lol

Im not allowed to debate with you....that's pushing it??

Maybe I should just personally attack posters like your buddy here since that seems to be perfectly fine with you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
FargoHawk":3ievvxso said:
We are every teams Super Bowl. We are going to get the best from every opponent we play. Not worried.
Team Zebra sure played us tough tonight...... 8)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Barthawk":v14224jj said:
Hawkpower":v14224jj said:

Well that seems like an appropriate response. Which part am I wrong about? And why did you clearly take that personally?

Interesting that I get a stern warning for my vague comment, but this is allowed free and clear.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2cdz3syx said:
But, you know, at the same time I think it's fair to voice some concerns. We had GREAT field position all night and still had 9 three-and-outs. In the 3rd quarter, we started at our 44, the 50, and our 40 and had absolutely nothing to show for it other than giving Washington terrible field position. And yes, I know that field position is important, but don't you think that starting with that field position with the guys we have at the skill positions should result in something other than a zero on the scoreboard over those three drives? I think one can be grateful for the win while at the same time being a bit concerned over a stretch like that happening again against a higher caliber opponent.

I'm not concerned, personally.

The officiating was pretty bad and it definitely had a huge impact on Seattle's offense. When that wasn't hurting Seattle, the drops were. It's very unlikely we'll see another game this season with so many drops or such poor officiating. With the more "hands off" officiating Seattle enjoyed vs. Green Bay and Denver, they probably end this game with 37 points.

Even with the refs calling the game like they had money on it, Seattle still averaged 6.4 yards per play, and they did beat the Vegas spread by 3 points despite allowing the late TD.

The kind of game that would concern me is one where Seattle looks anemic on offense. Seattle looked pretty much unstoppable on offense when they weren't being screwed our screwing themselves. The cold streak with the five straight three and outs is just momentum at work, but outside of that mini-cold streak Seattle's offense looked terrific. There are mini-cold spells by most offenses in most games. That's all this was, IMO.

As Tical said, it's probably a good thing to win this game a bit closer than we might have liked. It helps keep Seattle focused for a huge game next week against Dallas who's riding a 4 game win streak.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Sherman's right. This game should was very close to being a blowout. A few (very suspicious imo) calls, plus some dropped passes, and some near interceptions shifted things toward the Redskins.

Then again ... enough bounces the other way last season and we're not XLVIII champs, I guess...

minormillikin

Reaction score
kearly":17zykudf said:
Even with the refs calling the game like they had money on it, ...

I know I sound like a psychopath here... but I find it incredibly hard to believe that all the refs would be legit. They work for a multi-BILLION dollar industry, yet they get paid like substitute teachers. I don't think people are normally competent enough for full-on "conspiracies," but point-shaving and dishonest officiating has been going on since pro sports have existed.

I am far from thinking the NFL is rigged for who wins and loses... but it would be incredibly naive to assume all the refs are totally honest with so much on the line. What's fudging the final score a bit going to hurt? Or, If they can make a few (hundred thousand) bucks** by preventing an early Seahawks blowout... giving betters a last-second chance to bet against the line, or even bet that the Redskins make a comeback --- so easy to provide these opportunities.

All I'm really saying, refs, is... I want a piece.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
minormillikin":4gnfwbsj said:
kearly":4gnfwbsj said:

I know I sound like a psychopath here... but I find it incredibly hard to believe that all the refs would be legit. They work for a multi-BILLION dollar industry, yet they get paid like substitute teachers. I don't think people are normally competent enough for full-on "conspiracies," but point-shaving and dishonest officiating has been going on since pro sports have existed.

I am far from thinking the NFL is rigged for who wins and loses... but it would be incredibly naive to assume all the refs are totally honest with so much on the line. What's fudging the final score a bit going to hurt? Or, If they can make a few (hundred thousand) bucks** by preventing an early Seahawks blowout... giving betters a last-second chance to bet against the line, or even bet that the Redskins make a comeback --- so easy to provide these opportunities.

Paid like substitute teachers? Where are subs getting paid 6 figures and let me know where I can apply

minormillikin

Reaction score
-The Glove-":732yicoj said:
minormillikin":732yicoj said:
kearly":732yicoj said:

Paid like substitute teachers? Where are subs getting paid 6 figures and let me know where I can apply

Yeah, they get up to 149K a season. "Substitute teacher" is an obvious exaggeration, but they're still (dangerously) underpaid, in my opinion. They can make 100x that per season with just a handful of calls (good calls, or ignored calls).

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kearly":jpbnc5ix said:
volsunghawk":jpbnc5ix said:
But, you know, at the same time I think it's fair to voice some concerns. We had GREAT field position all night and still had 9 three-and-outs. In the 3rd quarter, we started at our 44, the 50, and our 40 and had absolutely nothing to show for it other than giving Washington terrible field position. And yes, I know that field position is important, but don't you think that starting with that field position with the guys we have at the skill positions should result in something other than a zero on the scoreboard over those three drives? I think one can be grateful for the win while at the same time being a bit concerned over a stretch like that happening again against a higher caliber opponent.

I'm not concerned, personally.

The officiating was pretty bad and it definitely had a huge impact on Seattle's offense. When that wasn't hurting Seattle, the drops were. It's very unlikely we'll see another game this season with so many drops or such poor officiating. With the more "hands off" officiating Seattle enjoyed vs. Green Bay and Denver, they probably end this game with 37 points.

Even with the refs calling the game like they had money on it, Seattle still averaged 6.4 yards per play, and they did beat the Vegas spread by 3 points despite allowing the late TD.

The kind of game that would concern me is one where Seattle looks anemic on offense. Seattle looked pretty much unstoppable on offense when they weren't being screwed our screwing themselves. The cold streak with the five straight three and outs is just momentum at work, but outside of that mini-cold streak Seattle's offense looked terrific. There are mini-cold spells by most offenses in most games. That's all this was, IMO.

As Tical said, it's probably a good thing to win this game a bit closer than we might have liked. It helps keep Seattle focused for a huge game next week against Dallas who's riding a 4 game win streak.

I understand that view, Kip. I've often held that view. It's just that in the moment of watching the game and the aftermath, that cold streak and the continued screwing themselves via penalty and poor O-line play had me frustrated.