Why I am disappointed in Russell Wilson?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Donn2390":w4220vqy said:
AVL":w4220vqy said:
The guy is happily fulfilling his crappy contract and somehow that isn't enough!
It wasn't a crappy contract three years ago when he was a nobody and would have gladly played for minimum wage ($9.75 an hour, not NFL minimum!) just to get the opportunity to be allowed to step foot on the grass.... Had he been a bust, he would be overpaid at a mil and half a year. Both he and the team took a gamble at that time, it's good that both won the gamble.
I read somewhere sometime back that one of his life's goals is to own an NFL team someday. It looks like he is trying to get his down payment saved up in a hurry.
I can completely understand the OP's opinion, his image has been tarnished in my eyes, also. Hopefully when the negotiations are all over with, he will make us all forget and put the shine back on the image.
I will say he is getting to be a little too Tebow for my liking. I would prefer he stuck to talking X&O's, and leave his personal life and beliefs for the pulpit... I'm not interested in his g/f, his sex life, or his religious views. That goes not just for him, it's goes for my friends, family and acquaintances, anyone whom I come into contact with..
I understand that is impossible when someone is constantly sticking a mic in your face, just expressing an opinion...
I see from many of the posts above that people aren't allowed to their own opinion, so I apologize in advance to those of you who only want to read opinions that parallel your own...
I'm so confused...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Minimum wage? Wilson wasn't happy playing for what amounts to 1/10 of what he should be making and yes he made it known in 2012.

I'm amazed at all the entitled attitudes from fans who appear to have devolved in a mere 3 years.
So after patiently playing his first 3 years for peanuts Russell Wilson now OWE you folks something?

This standoff isnt about Wilson vs the 12 man. It may not even be about PA or JS. The longer this plays out the more we may realize Wilson is trying to send a message to the league and owners that the CBA isn't fair and needs change. Guys like Wilson and Alfred Morris have vastly outplayed their contracts with no chance of recovering money had they been able to negotiate last year or even this year's salary.

There is reason Wilson went with Rodgers (a lawyer and father figure) over Cook (a proven NFL agent). Rodgers has a fresher perspective and possibly envisions a bigger future for Wilson.

hoxrox

Reaction score
OP, I don't think it's his loyalty or dedication to the Hawks that you're really disappointed in. You're probably more disappointed in the image of him that you've bought into. But you've also realized that, that's just what it is, an image.

I don't question his intentions or his character, but the image that's he built for himself is a means to an end. It's a job.

It would be like being disappointed at the guy wearing the suit-and-tie to a job interview. But at home, he's really a jeans and t-shirt type of guy. The difference as a public persona is that Wilson has been on a perma-interview his whole career.

Sherman is excellent at it. Wilson is good at it. You could say Baldwin was a little angry that he's not as good at it, but prefers instead to "keep it real"

The ramifications of paying Wilson top dollar is that we probably lose a few players like Okung, Mebane, and Irvin. And maybe Kearse, Baldwin and Hauschka. (Mebane, we could have really used in the SB)

We probably find a way to keep Wagner and Sweezy.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Does it actually matter whether Russell is team first? He isn't holding out, and as such we can expect him to show up and work hard under the teams of his current deal. If anything, a delayed payday puts more emphasis on his performance and effort.

The new CBA rookie terms are very good for fans. There's a huge amount of uncertainty in the draft and limiting rookie wages promotes parity because it reduces the chance that the bad teams will get stuck with huge dead-weight losses on their cap that sinks their franchise for another few seasons. Established players are less uncertain and having them take up the majority of the cap along with shorter guaranteed portions of contracts ensures that even bad teams can be competitive quickly if they start making good decisions.

nanomoz":1gy28ey4 said:
The only angst it's caused those of us with perspective that didn't grow up on the teat of Twitter is the endless stream of drivel its inspired in less-seasoned fans.
To think that today the medical records of a superstar NFL player were posted on Twitter. Social media has majorly changed how (unwilling) we are to let people have any privacy these days.

Donn2390":1gy28ey4 said:
I will say he is getting to be a little too Tebow for my liking. I would prefer he stuck to talking X&O's, and leave his personal life and beliefs for the pulpit... I'm not interested in his g/f, his sex life, or his religious views. That goes not just for him, it's goes for my friends, family and acquaintances, anyone whom I come into contact with..
So stop seeking that information out. If you follow him on twitter then you should expect to see him quoting bible verses and if you read media stories about his personal life then you have only yourself to blame if it annoys you.

hoxrox":1gy28ey4 said:
We probably find a way to keep Wagner and Sweezy.
Admittedly Cable loves the hell out of Sweezy, but it's going to be tough to pay an interior lineman real money when we're funneling so much money into the defense and have a budget ZBS scheme focused on run blocking. The only thing better than throwing a bucket of money of Sweezy next year would be if Glowinski can fill the position while playing for peanuts through 2018.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Rocket":148uy05f said:
7: The dude is hearing voices.
Uh, that's not how the whole "God told me" thing works. You get a sense of things... God doesn't appear as a faceless voice from the heavens. I was an Altar Boy... for years.
Duh
No, I'm talking Wilson literally quoting god literally talking to him.

"The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps," Wilson said. "And on the third step God says to me, 'I'm using you ... I want to see how you respond. But most importantly, I want them to see how you respond.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-to-him-and-explained-super-bowl-interception

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3e9qfc5k said:
SeaToTheHawks":3e9qfc5k said:
Literally one of the worst posts I've ever read.
I second that
That's cool that you guys are still in the place where Wilson is an awesome genuine guy who does no wrong. At times I wish I was still there. I'm just not anymore.

AgentDib

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":ko1vssca said:
That's cool that you guys are still in the place where Wilson is an awesome genuine guy who does no wrong. At times I wish I was still there. I'm just not anymore.
I'm all for athletes being good role models for children, but it is easy to overlook that Wilson is just a 26 year old kid himself. He's an outstanding athlete with a carefully maintained public image, but neither of those are good reasons for any adults here to look at him as a role model or hero figure. He doesn't have everything figured out but neither does anybody else.

Rocket

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":19e4p9r8 said:
No, I'm talking Wilson literally quoting god literally talking to him.

"The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps," Wilson said. "And on the third step God says to me, 'I'm using you ... I want to see how you respond. But most importantly, I want them to see how you respond.'"
Yeah... but I believe that was a euphemism. Religions are chock full of euphemisms. Been there, seen that.
As always, YMMV.

EDIT: a MUCH better link, horses mouth and all. 31:45 for god on the third and sixth step. Yes Virginia, there were two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmVgryMK8i8
I'm firmly in the euphemism camp...
YMMV again.

erik2690

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2ldvjzxv said:
Hawkfan77":2ldvjzxv said:
SeaToTheHawks":2ldvjzxv said:
I second that

Why is there not a way better middle ground? You just wrote a post questioning like everything he is on and off the field, but the only alternative is "awesome genuine guy who does no wrong"?

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2oa7ruke said:
Hawkfan77":2oa7ruke said:
SeaToTheHawks":2oa7ruke said:
I second that

It's not that. It's that everything you say is comepletely baseless. You even say it in your first paragraph about media reports that may or may not be true... Then go on to use those--may not be true--media reports to bash his character.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kannankeril":382c2t42 said:
The recent contract talks have caused most of us a good deal of angst and I found myself unconsciously blaming RW. As I listened to the arguments from the "pay-the-guy-whatever-it takes" camp, I found myself questioning my POV. I began to realize that I should not really care about the process/outcome of the contract negotiations so much as feel disappointment at the erosion of the image I had built of a larger than life persona.

The only person to blame here is me since the mental image was my construction, what I hoped it would be. RW did not explicitly claim that self-image. The key here is explicitly.

There was and still is an implication that RW is a team-first guy. From his cultivated demeanor on camera, the organized team practices in Hawaii, to his visits to children's hospitals and more importantly - his signature sign-off post interview line "Go Hawks". They all bespoke what "most of us assumed" to be a team guy. That assumption is contrary to the reported contract demands from his agent. The switch-over to a "me-first", I get sole credit for wins argument eroded the team-first image. Recent statements by both player and agent seem to confirm that this line of argument originates from them.

RW has to know the impact of his contract on the ability of this team to sustain success in future. He also has to know that this is a team (owner, GM & coach) that will spend all it can to ensure continued success - this is not the Cincinnati Bengals or the Pittsburgh Pirates. Assuming these statements, I cannot but feel disappointment that he does not feel the need to share that burden/further that goal.

RW has the right to extract every dollar that he can sell this or any other team on. That said, would I feel cynical the next time he says "Go Hawks", you betcha!

Good first post. Welcome to the board!

:2:

ctrcat

Reaction score
hoxrox":1tzqbvl1 said:
The ramifications of paying Wilson top dollar is that we probably lose a few players like Okung, Mebane, and Irvin. And maybe Kearse, Baldwin and Hauschka.

Great post. This would be stamped on my forehead if I were JS and should be Exhibit A in RW deciding how much better than Cam he really is. RW has been a thorn for the Panthers and is undefeated vs Cam but it was Hauschka with a 58 yard bomb when the Panthers had controlled the game to that point, Kearse saving the day in 2013 and a one handed TD in the playoffs (the only TD Benwikere gave up all year against some great WRs), Irvin with multiple sacks and pestering Cam with his unique skillset, McDaniel with a huge fumble recovery downfield in 2013 and in the playoffs, et al. What if Okung changed teams next year? Not too far fetched.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Terrific first post. I like you used a little different angle and put some of the blame on yourself.

RW is not a stupid man; he knows a good percentage of his income will come from endorsements. If he played on a crappy team, with crappy coaches, front office, etc., (See: Cleveland) he will make less money in the long run. How much more in endorsements would he have made if it wasn't for that last play? Millions, for sure.

He'll sign.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1vw1uefi said:
KiwiHawk":1vw1uefi said:
Hawkfan77":1vw1uefi said:
SeaToTheHawks":1vw1uefi said:
I second that

It's not that. It's that everything you say is comepletely baseless. You even say it in your first paragraph about media reports that may or may not be true... Then go on to use those--may not be true--media reports to bash his character.

Baseless?

Pretty sure RW holding the ball too long, struggling with his reads and having troubles with slow starts are documented facts.

He also claims to converse with God during the SuperBowl. His words, not anyone elses.

You don't like what Kiwi said because it doesn't jive with your image of RW but that doesn't make all his arguments baseless.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I think all this criticism would not be as piqued if Russell would just sign the damn extension.

Hopefully, he does take into consideration -- as every franchise QB has before him -- that allowing the team to have that stability and better cap flexibility will make it more likely for him to win going forward. More wins equals more endorsements equals more money in his pocket in the long run.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
StoneCold":2blq7q2t said:
Uncle Si":2blq7q2t said:
kannankeril":2blq7q2t said:
RW has the right to extract every dollar that he can sell this or any other team on. That said, would I feel cynical the next time he says "Go Hawks", you betcha!

can't he both extract every dollar he can AND represent his team with the utmost of his heart, dedication and ability?

This to infinity. I don't understand why people can't get both concepts. When he's working for the Hawks, he all about the team. When he's working for Russell, he's all about Russell. And rightfully so. The idea or fear that his contract will gut the franchise for his benefit is more of a fairy tale then Russell good two shoes image. Russell actually goes to see sick children. His contract hasn't cost us one single game.

SC

The problem is that they aren't mutually exclusive. And the fear is certainly not a fairy tale at all.

By Russell " working for Russell" as you say, there will be a point where his gain is the teams loss. The fans loss. etc. The Seahawks absolutely can not continue to compete for Super Bowls if his contract reaches certain levels.

Not his problem of course. Especially if recognition and wealth is more important than playing on a winning team.

He could of course have his cake and eat it too. There are win win scenarios abound where he becomes filthy rich AND the team gets to keep its stuff together.

Sounds like he has no interest in that. Which is his right, but it just demonstrates that IMAGE russ was just that. Hes a human like everyone else. The stupid pedestal should be gone, like the OP said.

Hes just a normal dude, and increasingly, clearly a weird one too.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm disappointed to learn 5'10" isn't only short but "too short"...what's that make me? Some midget that should be ignored?

Leave the man alone already or isn't winning 3 out 4 games enough for you? Or actually winning at a better percentage when it's one done alter your mindset?

No? Meh. Enjoy having an elite quarterback. It's a rare thing and to many fans that can't break out of the loser mindset purely alien. They literally can't deal or understand what is going on or him. It's sad but not something new to myself.

If he actually makes that next step with Graham’s help it will really get stupid. Just prepare yourself and sit back. Not everyone is admitted to this ride.

Tical21

Reaction score
Haven't we at least given Kerry Collins a courtesy call?