Why I am disappointed in Russell Wilson?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1wxvz0rs said:
PlinytheCenter":1wxvz0rs said:
His schtick is getting a little old. God "spoke" to him after the SB INT? I love the kid; he's been, well, a godsend to Seahawk football. But let's keep it real here. Did God tell him he wanted him to be the highest paid QB in history too?
His agent told him that.

God and Jesus love greed and wealth

Smellyman

Reaction score
StoneCold":m2axgag9 said:
What I find disappointing about some Seahawk fans is, despite the fact that these guys risk their bodies for our entertainment, when they try to get paid as much as they can, we call them greedy, selfish phonies that are trying to ruin our team. Look in the mirror.

SC

There isn't one player who says, I may break my neck, but I must entertain the fans.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
How about this for a conspiracy theory. Russell and the Hawks are pretending to negotiate a large contract knowing they will not do anything till next year so B Wags and others will maybe sign for less due to cap implications. Or maybe not......

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24ag12pl said:
Exactly. Putting down others has become a popular thing these days. We love you Russ!!!! Until you try to get a contract, you greedy punk......
This.

For some reason it's become the cool thing to bash Wilson this off-season. Kind of odd, but then again it is Seattle

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawkpower":31y8dkf0 said:
StoneCold":31y8dkf0 said:
What I find disappointing about some Seahawk fans is, despite the fact that these guys risk their bodies for our entertainment, when they try to get paid as much as they can, we call them greedy, selfish phonies that are trying to ruin our team. Look in the mirror.

SC

Greedy selfish phony ruining the team? Again with the dramatic.

And this is proving my point. A couple people in this thread have expressed mild potential disappointment and the reactions in turn are so extreme they are laughable.

I guess I view the situation differently. I am a fan of the team first, individual players second. I want whats best for the team. That means RW as our QB of course, he is so special for our team.

The discussion at hand is if there is a certain point in which his potential contract could hurt the team. Sounds like that is the crux of this issue......and where RW and his desires fits in with that. Is that not discussion worthy?

Team first, individual players second. Maybe I'm just old school :)

BTW: your first line made me laugh.....you don't really believe that NFL players put on a uniform for the sole purpose of being philanthropic and pleasing the public do you? I would image, fame and fortune rank slightly higher on the motivating meter than pleasing Chris from Renton each Sunday afternoon lol.

My words are taken from posts of others. A few people? The thread is titled, "Why I'm disappointed in RW?" I'm not for or against Russell. If, when the details come out, it shows that Russell is getting more than I think he should or is good for the team, I would say so. What I'm against is using an IF to attack him. People are disappointed in him before he's even signed a contract.

I'm not sure how you and SmellyMan so misunderstood my first line. They play for the money. They play at great risk to themselves and we are being entertained. Then we moan about them trying to get paid as much as they can. No where do I say they are only playing only to entertain us. In fact the ENTIRE point was the opposite.

SC

Hawkpower

Reaction score
StoneCold":joq0cup3 said:
Hawkpower":joq0cup3 said:
StoneCold":joq0cup3 said:

SC

Greedy selfish phony ruining the team? Again with the dramatic.

And this is proving my point. A couple people in this thread have expressed mild potential disappointment and the reactions in turn are so extreme they are laughable.

I guess I view the situation differently. I am a fan of the team first, individual players second. I want whats best for the team. That means RW as our QB of course, he is so special for our team.

The discussion at hand is if there is a certain point in which his potential contract could hurt the team. Sounds like that is the crux of this issue......and where RW and his desires fits in with that. Is that not discussion worthy?

Team first, individual players second. Maybe I'm just old school :)

BTW: your first line made me laugh.....you don't really believe that NFL players put on a uniform for the sole purpose of being philanthropic and pleasing the public do you? I would image, fame and fortune rank slightly higher on the motivating meter than pleasing Chris from Renton each Sunday afternoon lol.

My words are taken from posts of others. A few people? The thread is titled, "Why I'm disappointed in RW?" I'm not for or against Russell. If, when the details come out, it shows that Russell is getting more than I think he should or is good for the team, I would say so. What I'm against is using an IF to attack him. People are disappointed in him before he's even signed a contract.

I'm not sure how you and SmellyMan so misunderstood my first line. They play for the money. They play at great risk to themselves and we are being entertained. Then we moan about them trying to get paid as much as they can. No where do I say they are only playing only to entertain us. In fact the ENTIRE point was the opposite.

SC

Fair enough. That makes sense and is understandable. My contention however is that the word disappointed hardly constitutes an attack. There are posters in this thread tossing around terms like slandering character which points to a lack of objectivity. I haven't seen any posts that are over the top disrespectful of RW at all, and yet the reactions to any mild negativity are exaggerated and blown out of proportion.

Additionally, I would contend that fans have a right to feel disappointed in RW right now if they want to honestly. The sooner this deal gets done, the better for the team. If fans want to feel disappointed that he has turned down the FO offer thus far I don't see anything wrong with that. Disappointed isn't really all that slanderous of a word. Hey if turns out that the FO unprecedentedly isn't offering something fair, they can all go back later and recant their feelings, right? :)

Apologies about misinterpreting your angle on the players risking it. Had it read: players risk their bodies every day and want to get paid top dollar for it- we probably aren't as confused. The "doing it all to entertain us" part made it seem like your point was that we as fans should be so grateful for the sacrifice players make for us lol.

My bad.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3kn6v7j4 said:
Apologies about misinterpreting your angle on the players risking it. Had it read: players risk their bodies every day and want to get paid top dollar for it- we probably aren't as confused. The "doing it all to entertain us" part made it seem like your point was that we as fans should be so grateful for the sacrifice players make for us lol.

My bad.

Not sure where you get that quote from, but it wasn't my post.

Carry on.

SC

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":39gs6jti said:
SoulfishHawk":39gs6jti said:
Exactly. Putting down others has become a popular thing these days. We love you Russ!!!! Until you try to get a contract, you greedy punk......
This.

For some reason it's become the cool thing to bash Wilson this off-season. Kind of odd, but then again it is Seattle

Define "bashing"

Seattle is the safest, cushiest place for an athlete to play in this regard.

RW would be facing far more scrutiny if he played in other parts of the country, especially in the midst of a huge contract negotiation and in some of his odd comments lately.

Russ is a god here. I think we have a long way to go before we start to consider Russ being treated unfairly by the media and fans in Seattle.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
StoneCold":2kf7xw31 said:
Hawkpower":2kf7xw31 said:

My bad.

Not sure where you get that quote from, but it wasn't my post.

Carry on.

SC

Didn't mean to quote that exactly.....lazy paraphrase sorry :)

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
About 2 weeks to go, does he get a contract? Or does he not show up for camp. This is a lot more interesting than the Seahawks.net is letting on. Not much discussion here. He's under contract , but it's getting close to him playing it out. Can't believe this has gone in like this.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":15r3ehd2 said:
About 2 weeks to go, does he get a contract? Or does he not show up for camp. This is a lot more interesting than the Seahawks.net is letting on. Not much discussion here. He's under contract , but it's getting close to him playing it out. Can't believe this has gone in like this.

Yes, he signs a contract. He has to show up for camp at least 30 days prior to the first regular season game or he loses his accrued season and becomes a restricted free agent next year instead of a free agent, so YES, he will show up for camp.

Cool heads will prevail. It makes no sense for him to play this year without an extension and a lot of guaranteed money in his pocket. If he does play out this season, he probably won't be able to make up the money he lost buying that ridiculous insurance policy over what the Seahawks have already offered. ( Yes, I know I don't know exactly what the Seahawks have offered, I am going off reports from very credible media sources, so don't get your panties in a bunch.) I think he gets $22 million per season. Halfway through his contract, he will be considered under paid.

If he doesn't sign a contract, it will be a major distraction to the team and I don't think Russell will want that. Every player will be asked about Russell's contract every time a camera is shoved into their face.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":qi00puvh said:

He is under contract now and will most certainly show up. He wants a new deal obviously, but he has shown no indication he might reneg on a signed contract. If it were a matter of signing a franchise tender or not, I think there would be some question...but not a large one.

Whether he signs a new deal before that is the question and I'd call that about 7-5 against (without knowing what the offer on the table might be or what may be offered in the next few weeks).

JMO/YMMV