"Why I Hate Thursday Night Football" - Richard Sherman

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TNF is stealth parity. It's another obstacle put in front of good teams to help ensure that dynasty teams like the Patriots don't keep winning it all year after year. That's my stance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mx15lho said:
Also, cursory review of the CBA... signed in 2011, makes no mention of Thursday games that I could find. It appears as though Sherman is referencing the desire to address player safety and the contrast to actual concern over those same players.

Thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement, approved by the NFLPA in 2011. Part of the expansion of the Thursday night schedule was to ensure competitive balance, with each team having to play on the short week once, but that was likely a secondary concern to the revenue selling the Thursday package would create.

Also the concern over player safety is bogus, there has been no spike in player injuries since the expanded TNF.

The league found that roughly the same amount of injuries happened in 2012 Thursday games (5.2 per game) as in games played on Saturday, Sunday and Monday (5.3).

I get that the players don't like it, why would they. But they certainly have reaped the benefits of the higher revenue sharing.

So Shermy Sherm can't have it both ways, counting his fat paychecks and complaining about the ONE game per year he might have to play on Thursday nights..................at home.....................against the Rams.............with 10 days off after.

Wah.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/03/thursday- ... ert-klemko

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised that more players don't like it from the aspect of getting the extra days off on the back end.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rst3d91 said:
So Shermy Sherm can't have it both ways, counting his fat paychecks and complaining about the ONE game per year he might have to play on Thursday nights..................at home.....................against the Rams.............with 10 days off after.

Wah.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/03/thursday- ... ert-klemko

really just a whole litany of presumption in what Sherman's quotes were versus what you attribute them to mean. But carry on. I'm sure someone as outspoken as Sherman was only talking about himself...

I'd also suggest that if he and other NFL players feel the 4 days off isn't enough then perhaps they are right... being they are the ones playing?

Hendo66

Reaction score
The Thursday night product is crap, no doubt.

BUT, the players agreed to it in the CBA.

Wish they would have / could have left it out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1pgmcsb2 said:
I'd also suggest that if he and other NFL players feel the 4 days off isn't enough then perhaps they are right... being they are the ones playing?

Cool, so bargain for it next time around. Until then, enjoy the extra salary you reaped from the agreement.

I know guys who go move heavy equipment, work 75 hours a week during the holidays in warehouses and one of my friends has been a roofer for 25+ years schlepping hot tar and roofing material on and off roofs in the freezing cold for 12 hours a day six days a week..........and they make like 50k a year.

You want me to feel sorry for a football player that makes 14M a year cause he has to work a short week.........ONCE A YEAR?

Nah, sorry. Sherman saw this as another opportunity to stick it to Goodell, cause that's his thing now, and unlike some other criticisms, I ain't buying this one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You keep referencing the agreement. Where is it in there?

Also, you keep focusing on a man who speaks to social issues as if he's just talking about himself. the Vikings have played more than one Thursday game. Might be more.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j7nlk7or said:
SoulfishHawk":j7nlk7or said:
I like it. Angry/cocky Sherm is a better player overall.

Grabbing Erin Andrews and screaming into the microphone like a possessed insane person is angry Sherman....................whining about the refs and complaining about playing on TNF like every other team is just crybaby Sherman to me.

I think the difference is that Sherman is right. Yes it was the Players Union that agreed to it, and the players do get some benefits, and yes they all play under the same crappy circumstances and refereeing, but that doesn't mean they should nor should they just shut up and put up with it. The way change starts is by the airing of grievances. Now where did I put that Festivus Pole.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3938bfxv said:
Uncle Si":3938bfxv said:
You keep referencing the agreement. Where is it in there?.

Did you not read what I posted about?

Part of the agreement was the players said yes as long as they only had to play once.........and here's the schedule this year, the Vikings have only played once.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2016- ... s-results/

I did. I actually went and looked in the agreement. I do not see anything in it about Thursday games. So I wonder, considering Sherman's comments, what the agreement actually says.

Can you show us? Because I couldn't see it.

Vikings played on Thanksgiving as well...so two thursdays in reality. back to back actually. So they go short week, full week, long week. and look at the injuries sustained by that team just over that period.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If this were Bruce Arians or Big Ben talking, we would all be saying how whiney they are.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":14q5nbaq said:
If this were Bruce Arians or Big Ben talking, we would all be saying how whiney they are.

Would we?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":cnk6y2xr said:

Eh, you can go to the NFL subreddit pretty much every week and see that Sherman's Player Tribune pieces are almost always universally praised. That's coming from fans of every team in the NFL, including fans from fan bases that hate us (San Fran, Green Bay, Carolina, Washington, etc.). A lot of people will preface their comments with the fact that they don't like Sherm, but they almost always agree with what he's saying.

If Arians or Big Ben wrote well articulated opinion pieces, who knows what we'd think of them.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I normally agree with Sherm but this is just stupid. just shut your mouth and get ready for the game. if the whole team has this mentality they already lost on Thursday. just gather yourself and start game planning and getting hyped for the game. sitting around complaining about something that isn't going to change is just being a cry baby. he better show up on Thursday is all im saying

Uncle Si

Reaction score
classicaaron":138kdaq5 said:
I normally agree with Sherm but this is just stupid. just shut your mouth and get ready for the game. if the whole team has this mentality they already lost on Thursday. just gather yourself and start game planning and getting hyped for the game. sitting around complaining about something that isn't going to change is just being a cry baby. he better show up on Thursday is all im saying

Jesus....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":297u63ai said:

I I took a direct quote from the author on SI discussing the topic, if you don't want to believe him, then that's your prerogative. I don't have time to read through a 316 page collective bargaining agreement.

Yep, you're right, the Vikings played on two Thursdays, yet a quick Google search didn't come up with one player complaining.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gwdsnorm said:
Uncle Si":gwdsnorm said:

I I took a direct quote from the author on SI discussing the topic, if you don't want to believe him, then that's your prerogative. I don't have time to read through a 316 page collective bargaining agreement.

Yep, you're right, the Vikings played on two Thursdays, yet a quick Google search didn't come up with one player complaining.

I doubt you have to read all 316 pages. They have a nice table of contents. Also, I like to use the "Find" feature. Pretty slick.

I heard a couple of Vikings complaining about on KFAN. But whatever. Perhaps they feel more comfortable letting someone like Sherman take the pulpit for them.

But... apparently we don't want our football players talking. They just sound like whiners and there is no conceivable way they could hold a press conference AND get ready for the next game.

This place sometimes....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Talking yes, whining no.................So there is no middle ground, we have to be totally in with literally everything our player's say, or be quiet?

I got Doug's back big time when he's talking to our bodies of government and law enforcement. I got Russell's back once a week when he's talking to dying kids at Seattle Children Hospital. I got Cliff's back when he's building homes in Haiti.

Sherman complaining about refs and having to play tomorrow night? No.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sherm is a very bright guy, his take on things is worth considering even if you don't fully share his perspectives.

What I wonder is how much extra revenue TNF actually brings. If it's not that big a deal in the greater scheme then perhaps the NFL won't be as hard-assed about it when arguing against the players for the next CBA.

classicaaron

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39hzvt0d said:
Sgt. Largent":39hzvt0d said:
Uncle Si":39hzvt0d said:

I doubt you have to read all 316 pages. They have a nice table of contents. Also, I like to use the "Find" feature. Pretty slick.

I heard a couple of Vikings complaining about on KFAN. But whatever. Perhaps they feel more comfortable letting someone like Sherman take the pulpit for them.

But... apparently we don't want our football players talking. They just sound like whiners and there is no conceivable way they could hold a press conference AND get ready for the next game.

This place sometimes....

Id rather he not talk on the subject at all but if he does how about talking about it AFTER the game on Thursday. taking this as a post game speech after they win would fall on a lot more ears. before hand it just seems like hes not focused on the task at hand and comes across as a baby. when you have 3 extra days and some down time talk all you want. when you have a short week and need to get ultra focused don't sit around crying, he shouldn't even have time to think about it. or how about talk about it when the schedules are released and nothing is going on. timing is everything. he comes across as just fitting his agenda when he only talks about it now.

Latest posts