"Why I Hate Thursday Night Football" - Richard Sherman

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Maybe he only spoke about it because he was asked about it.

Either way, it says ~absolutely~nothing~ about how hard he will prepare, or about hard he will run and hit tomorrow night.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
classicaaron":8dewxre7 said:
Uncle Si":8dewxre7 said:
Sgt. Largent":8dewxre7 said:
Uncle Si":8dewxre7 said:
Can you show us? Because I couldn't see it.

I I took a direct quote from the author on SI discussing the topic, if you don't want to believe him, then that's your prerogative. I don't have time to read through a 316 page collective bargaining agreement.

Yep, you're right, the Vikings played on two Thursdays, yet a quick Google search didn't come up with one player complaining.

I doubt you have to read all 316 pages. They have a nice table of contents. Also, I like to use the "Find" feature. Pretty slick.

I heard a couple of Vikings complaining about on KFAN. But whatever. Perhaps they feel more comfortable letting someone like Sherman take the pulpit for them.

But... apparently we don't want our football players talking. They just sound like whiners and there is no conceivable way they could hold a press conference AND get ready for the next game.

This place sometimes....

Id rather he not talk on the subject at all but if he does how about talking about it AFTER the game on Thursday. taking this as a post game speech after they win would fall on a lot more ears. before hand it just seems like hes not focused on the task at hand and comes across as a baby. when you have 3 extra days and some down time talk all you want. when you have a short week and need to get ultra focused don't sit around crying, he shouldn't even have time to think about it. or how about talk about it when the schedules are released and nothing is going on. timing is everything. he comes across as just fitting his agenda when he only talks about it now.

Ahhh so he can talk about it, but it has to be on someone else's acceptable terms. I'm assuming you haven't been following his Player's Tribune pieces, because you would know he's been commenting and writing on things generally when they're relevant. Considering that, this is the perfect time to be talking about why he hates TNF... cause ya know... he's about to play on TNF... If we go out and lose tomorrow and he waited till Friday to drop this piece (which he writes earlier in the week anyway) then people would be saying "oh he's just complaining because he lost blah blah blah."

He can have whatever agenda he would like, and you don't have to agree with it. But it's hilarious that you would try to tell another man what he can or can't do, can or can't say. The only people who are coming off as whiny babies are the angry walls that are yelling that he's a crybaby.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ctlh3bj said:
Uncle Si":2ctlh3bj said:
I'd also suggest that if he and other NFL players feel the 4 days off isn't enough then perhaps they are right... being they are the ones playing?

Cool, so bargain for it next time around. Until then, enjoy the extra salary you reaped from the agreement.

I know guys who go move heavy equipment, work 75 hours a week during the holidays in warehouses and one of my friends has been a roofer for 25+ years schlepping hot tar and roofing material on and off roofs in the freezing cold for 12 hours a day six days a week..........and they make like 50k a year.

You want me to feel sorry for a football player that makes 14M a year cause he has to work a short week.........ONCE A YEAR?

Nah, sorry. Sherman saw this as another opportunity to stick it to Goodell, cause that's his thing now, and unlike some other criticisms, I ain't buying this one.

Lol and if your buddies were world class athletes they would not be on roofs... How are they making more money ? They get paid per game... Is it more on Thursdays then Sundays ? And I get where he's coming from... Those guys take a huge beating physically... Playing a few days later isn't smart .

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2p4bs9jm said:
Sgt. Largent":2p4bs9jm said:
Uncle Si":2p4bs9jm said:
I'd also suggest that if he and other NFL players feel the 4 days off isn't enough then perhaps they are right... being they are the ones playing?

Cool, so bargain for it next time around. Until then, enjoy the extra salary you reaped from the agreement.

I know guys who go move heavy equipment, work 75 hours a week during the holidays in warehouses and one of my friends has been a roofer for 25+ years schlepping hot tar and roofing material on and off roofs in the freezing cold for 12 hours a day six days a week..........and they make like 50k a year.

You want me to feel sorry for a football player that makes 14M a year cause he has to work a short week.........ONCE A YEAR?

Nah, sorry. Sherman saw this as another opportunity to stick it to Goodell, cause that's his thing now, and unlike some other criticisms, I ain't buying this one.

Lol and if your buddies were world class athletes they would not be on roofs... How are they making more money ? They get paid per game... Is it more on Thursdays then Sundays ? And I get where he's coming from... Those guys take a huge beating physically... Playing a few days later isn't smart .

Yeah it sucks his buddies aren't Stanford educated, top 1% athletic freaks and therefore can't have more desirable, higher paying jobs.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Why can't they do Saturday Night Football? There is nothing but stupid college games on all day. I for one would love to have something decent to watch on Saturday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":2kjkzu2d said:
Why can't they do Saturday Night Football? There is nothing but stupid college games on all day. I for one would love to have something decent to watch on Saturday.

That's the agreement with the NCAA, not to disrupt their Saturday revenue cash cow...............I don't see that ever changing.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qxreoj9f said:
StoneCold":qxreoj9f said:

That's the agreement with the NCAA, not to disrupt their Saturday revenue cash cow...............I don't see that ever changing.

What about Friday Night Football? I personally don't give a rip about high school football, but I know that's a lot different of a case in the South lol.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bss39tc said:
I don't love it, I'm irritated by Sherman.

Has there been a loss yet that he hasn't complained about something? That goes for the entire defense and their nonsense on the field when they're getting their asses handed to them.

They're turning into the Rams, fake tough guys. How bout this Richard, you're getting paid 14M a year, how bout be quiet and go intercept something.

Blame your player's union who agreed to TNF so you all could make more money.

+1.
Be careful what you ask for Sherm. Drop the Thursday night games, fine and I see the point. But do that, drop the revenues, then drop the salary cap, then cut YOUR PAY ALSO. :2thumbs:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
classicaaron":90wp2uf8 said:
Uncle Si":90wp2uf8 said:
Sgt. Largent":90wp2uf8 said:
Uncle Si":90wp2uf8 said:
Can you show us? Because I couldn't see it.

I I took a direct quote from the author on SI discussing the topic, if you don't want to believe him, then that's your prerogative. I don't have time to read through a 316 page collective bargaining agreement.

Yep, you're right, the Vikings played on two Thursdays, yet a quick Google search didn't come up with one player complaining.

I doubt you have to read all 316 pages. They have a nice table of contents. Also, I like to use the "Find" feature. Pretty slick.

I heard a couple of Vikings complaining about on KFAN. But whatever. Perhaps they feel more comfortable letting someone like Sherman take the pulpit for them.

But... apparently we don't want our football players talking. They just sound like whiners and there is no conceivable way they could hold a press conference AND get ready for the next game.

This place sometimes....

Id rather he not talk on the subject at all but if he does how about talking about it AFTER the game on Thursday. taking this as a post game speech after they win would fall on a lot more ears. before hand it just seems like hes not focused on the task at hand and comes across as a baby. when you have 3 extra days and some down time talk all you want. when you have a short week and need to get ultra focused don't sit around crying, he shouldn't even have time to think about it. or how about talk about it when the schedules are released and nothing is going on. timing is everything. he comes across as just fitting his agenda when he only talks about it now.

The only problem with this that I have seen is the players are still pumped up from the adrenalin of the game and some cant speak very clearly. All you hear then is rant and rave and no substance. And then all the fans do is bitch about the rant rave of the idiot player that has no point. Point in reference is the Erin Andrews RANT that SHerman did after the tip about Crabtree. SHe did that on purpose to get the STORY first. And it comes back to haunt Sherman a lot. Condition of the situation is more important than the message if you are hyped up on Adrenalin. Also remember that the only thing them anal idiots want is a story so they get paid. One more thing....Sherman is a representative of the team for the players association....so he has a right and responsibility to get the message out for the players that what is happening is not consistent with the intent of the safety of players.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":20y3ayvv said:
Hawk-Lock":20y3ayvv said:
If this were Bruce Arians or Big Ben talking, we would all be saying how whiney they are.

Eh, you can go to the NFL subreddit pretty much every week and see that Sherman's Player Tribune pieces are almost always universally praised. That's coming from fans of every team in the NFL, including fans from fan bases that hate us (San Fran, Green Bay, Carolina, Washington, etc.). A lot of people will preface their comments with the fact that they don't like Sherm, but they almost always agree with what he's saying.

If Arians or Big Ben wrote well articulated opinion pieces, who knows what we'd think of them.

Sherm is a smart-smart guy. His word gets noticed - justifiably so.

I'm with him on this. Thursday games need to go. I also think they've contributed to the feeling of perhaps overexposure for the league? That would be just one piece of many that has fewer fans watching, ad revenues down, etc.

(Though I read that perhaps fan interest has improved some post-election?)

justafan

Reaction score
I agree with him that the NFL is wrong with thurs night games.The body needs time to recover and it is a safety concern.
They could at least let the teams play at home the week before or even come off a bye.

But with a huge game coming up i would rather a leader on the team not come out and say that he doesnt want to play. Raise hell in the offseason when you have the time to worry about it and vocalizing the problem may not be the distraction it could be now.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1ltot5yw said:
Sgt. Largent":1ltot5yw said:
StoneCold":1ltot5yw said:

What about Friday Night Football? I personally don't give a rip about high school football, but I know that's a lot different of a case in the South lol.

That is actually a cool idea once HS football wraps up. Not sure if they would work schedule-wise, but it would be a big hit @ the bars on a Friday night for sure.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3f1015zg said:
StoneCold":3f1015zg said:

Hmmm, kinda makes ya wonder what the hell they did BEFORE TNF, eh?
IF the NFL HONESTLY gave a crap about player safety, seems to me that they would give all consideration to circumventing the extraordinary DANGERS that they are subjecting the player to going through for their own selfish interest'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....It needed to be aired out, If not Sherman to point out the façade, the fake concern that the NFL has for player safety , then who?....Maybe Marshawn?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2v4onwh5 said:
JGfromtheNW":2v4onwh5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2v4onwh5 said:
StoneCold":2v4onwh5 said:

That is actually a cool idea once HS football wraps up. Not sure if they would work schedule-wise, but it would be a big hit @ the bars on a Friday night for sure.

That's actually kinda what I was thinking. Friday nights going to bars, viewing parties, restaurants would be a blast. It all comes down to money though and unless the NFL would expect Friday Night Football to generate the same revenue or more than TNF would be the only way it would ever happen. The NFL is a bottom line business, just like Sherm has touched on multiple times.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1udaqx8k said:
TNF is stealth parity. It's another obstacle put in front of good teams to help ensure that dynasty teams like the Patriots don't keep winning it all year after year. That's my stance.

Maybe it winds up aiding parity, but if you think that's the reason this was put into place by the league.. Ummm.. You're pretty far off.

The NFL has steadily moved into the oversaturation realm the past several years and it's finally starting to do some damage. The league ratings are down for a reason.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3me10uda said:
If this were Bruce Arians or Big Ben talking, we would all be saying how whiney they are.

Not about this subject. TNF is garbage. How many good games has there been this season on TNF? Maybe 2?

Not only is the game watered down by playing on a short week, many of these matchups just aren't compelling because of the league forcing every single team in the league to play these games.

Sherman as per the usual, is absolutely correct on this.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Uncle Si":164cckn5 said:
Sgt. Largent":164cckn5 said:
They're turning into the Rams, fake tough guys. How bout this Richard, you're getting paid 14M a year, how bout be quiet and go intercept something.

So you'd prefer pro athletes just go about entertaining us quietly without voicing publicly their opinions on things, including their jobs?

He has an entire off season to complain or voice his complaints to the league.

Being vocal like this right after getting trucked in green bay just sets the stage for excuse making should we actually lose again.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3f4faul1 said:
MontanaHawk05":3f4faul1 said:
TNF is stealth parity. It's another obstacle put in front of good teams to help ensure that dynasty teams like the Patriots don't keep winning it all year after year. That's my stance.

Maybe it winds up aiding parity, but if you think that's the reason this was put into place by the league.. Ummm.. You're pretty far off.

The NFL has steadily moved into the oversaturation realm the past several years and it's finally starting to do some damage. The league ratings are down for a reason.

TRUE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3hkayx25 said:
MontanaHawk05":3hkayx25 said:

Stealth parity?

TNF was created because of why every consumer product is created, $$$$$. It was another opportunity for a prime time game to maximize ad revenue. Simple as that.

Latest posts