"Why I Hate Thursday Night Football" - Richard Sherman

dutchman063

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pq40vi6 said:
I don't love it, I'm irritated by Sherman.

Has there been a loss yet that he hasn't complained about something? That goes for the entire defense and their nonsense on the field when they're getting their asses handed to them.

They're turning into the Rams, fake tough guys. How bout this Richard, you're getting paid 14M a year, how bout be quiet and go intercept something.

Blame your player's union who agreed to TNF so you all could make more money.

This^^^^... he needs to STFU and play football.. geezuz these crybaby pansies act like they are actually being made to work for minimum wage digging ditches or something

StoneCold

Reaction score
dutchman063":2m2dvv5n said:
Sgt. Largent":2m2dvv5n said:

Has there been a loss yet that he hasn't complained about something? That goes for the entire defense and their nonsense on the field when they're getting their asses handed to them.

They're turning into the Rams, fake tough guys. How bout this Richard, you're getting paid 14M a year, how bout be quiet and go intercept something.

This^^^^... he needs to STFU and play football.. geezuz these crybaby pansies act like they are actually being made to work for minimum wage digging ditches or something

Yeah they're just out their risking concussions and permanent physical damage for our entertainment.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

dutchman063

Reaction score
StoneCold":123q0m9z said:
dutchman063":123q0m9z said:
Sgt. Largent":123q0m9z said:

Yeah they're just out their risking concussions and permanent physical damage for our entertainment.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Boohoo, last i checked he isnt forced to play football....Get the pansy off the field then, put someone out there that doesnt mind making $14million a year playing a game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1py43qm4 said:
Hasselbeck":1py43qm4 said:
MontanaHawk05":1py43qm4 said:
TNF is stealth parity. It's another obstacle put in front of good teams to help ensure that dynasty teams like the Patriots don't keep winning it all year after year. That's my stance.

Maybe it winds up aiding parity, but if you think that's the reason this was put into place by the league.. Ummm.. You're pretty far off.

The NFL has steadily moved into the oversaturation realm the past several years and it's finally starting to do some damage. The league ratings are down for a reason.

Stealth parity?

TNF was created because of why every consumer product is created, $$$$$. It was another opportunity for a prime time game to maximize ad revenue. Simple as that.

You are right as rain, it's always been about the $$$$$$, but it is a bit disingenuous for the NFL to be cranking out the phony concerns about player safety.
Most players are playing hurt, and are on the cusp of playing with injuries, and that's on a normal week.
I think that's why Marshawn Lynch was so obstinate with the NFL, he saw through their feigning of concern for player safety, and just clammed up when the microphones were shoved in his face, you could hear the disdain in his silence....Sherman on the other hand, can't contain himself like ML, when there's incoming, he shoots back.

themunn

Reaction score
If the NFL is determined to keep Thursday night games they should just replace bye weeks with them - whether or not this would be popular is debatable. At the moment a player could play Sunday, have 2 weeks off before playing again, but earlier or later in the season they might have a Sunday followed by Thursday game.

So instead you play Sunday, off 10 days, play Thursday, off 9 days play Sunday.

So for example, this year we played 2nd october followed by a game on 16th and 23rd October

I'd be suggesting we play 2nd, 13th, 23rd October, so we play the same number of games over the same span, but A: the NFL gets a game on Thursday, and the players get a 10 and 9 day rest which is arguably better than 13 and 6 day rest?
Then we'd be play this Sunday instead of Thursday of course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1n9h8qyz said:
You are right as rain, it's always been about the $$$$$$, but it is a bit disingenuous for the NFL to be cranking out the phony concerns about player safety.
Most players are playing hurt, and are on the cusp of playing with injuries, and that's on a normal week.
I think that's why Marshawn Lynch was so obstinate with the NFL, he saw through their feigning of concern for player safety, and just clammed up when the microphones were shoved in his face, you could hear the disdain in his silence....Sherman on the other hand, can't contain himself like ML, when there's incoming, he shoots back.

Look at the SI quote I posted above though, there hasn't been a rise in player injuries due to TNF.

I don't normally side with Goodell or the league, he's a lying tool..........but on this subject? I see an agreement that was made in 2011 that both sides agreed to in order to generate more revenue, of which BOTH sides have reaped the benefits of.

Including one Richard Kevin Sherman, to the tune of 14M a year. So for one week a year Sherm, suck it up and play.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Maybe they could make things both 'safer' and more interesting by limiting the max number of snaps any player can play in a TNF game, perhaps inversely tied to the number of snaps they played in the game 4 days back. That 'interest' would be strategic and could thusly span both games.

exhilo

Reaction score
Sherman has become spoiled. Try going on deployment or work construction for 15-20 years or other jobs millions of Americans do every day. It's just one damn day of hardship if you can call it that. For 1.25 million a game I'd play every damned day!

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
You want spoiled, look at the NBA.

Those guys have it so much better than either the NFL or MLB.

Posh layovers, back home, not nearly as much pressure to play hurt (vs NFL) lot more games to "get it back", potential for longer career, summers off, etc.

Oh, and the much better endorsement $$$$ of course.

Good example is recently retired local boy/ NBA journeyman Luke Ridnour. Nice long 12 season career or so, picking up almost 4 million per season (avg). He retires a multi-millionaire in good health, with a long life ahead of him. (Which is great - happy for him/ any NBA player - but I can see why the NFL guys envy that kind of life.)

I've seen former NFL players who had just a few seasons with the pros, who are walking like they're in their sixties when they are in their mid-30's. Played a summer golf tournament/fundraiser a few yrs back that had a few former NFL guys there. One of them a defensive lineman, who was early 40's, already had a knee replacement, two back/neck surgeries, and said he was contemplating surgery on a shoulder that he had been shooting cortisone into for the last decade. And hate to say it, but given how he was huffing and puffing his way into and out of the golf cart, he looked like a heart-attack was just around the corner, too.

He repeated something I've heard NFL guys say about the game they play a few times before:

"Every Sunday, every play is a car crash. Normal person gets in a car crash, they're happy to walk away. We line up and do it again and again and again."

It's a tough game, and nobody who plays it walks away unscathed.

Go Hawks.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b726l2zu said:
scutterhawk":b726l2zu said:

Look at the SI quote I posted above though, there hasn't been a rise in player injuries due to TNF.

I don't normally side with Goodell or the league, he's a lying tool..........but on this subject? I see an agreement that was made in 2011 that both sides agreed to in order to generate more revenue, of which BOTH sides have reaped the benefits of.

Including one Richard Kevin Sherman, to the tune of 14M a year. So for one week a year Sherm, suck it up and play.

Christ on a bike...

Just one time find the quote in the Agreement. Come on.. Seriously. You assume so much with so much confidence yet you say you can't be bothered to go find the evidence.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I thought that the comparison to Kaepernick in the OP was unnecessary and incorrect as well as a reminder of how little I think of the typical football fan's opinion on many things, but as pertains to the article, I do agree with Sherman here.

I think that you can be a member of a union and disagree with the agreements that it forges. People are members of unions all the time, but disagree with their leadership's ideas. I don't think that it's necessarily fair to criticize Sherman for that.

Furthermore, I have gone from "uneasy with" to "totally against" these ideas football players with complaints about their job are "whining." I'm not sure if it comes from a "you get paid a lot of money, so deal with it" place, a "football players should just 'man up' and silently deal with whatever treatment they get" place, or what. For me, as someone from a union household as a kid, I stand with every union worker out there with almost no exceptions because I feel that no matter how much you make as a worker, you are still at the ultimate vulnerability of the owner of your workplace. I think that it's fair to call out the leader of the owners, Roger Goodell, for what amounts to an unsafe working practice (and yes, I know that playing tackle football is inherently unsafe, but that doesn't give Goodell moral carte blanche to make it even more unsafe by having teams play games on Thursday nights after coming off games from the previous Sunday).

Latest posts