Why I think Brandon Coleman should be a priority for Seattle

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":28r1juci said:
Attyla the Hawk":28r1juci said:
It's very possible he'd be there at 64. Maybe 50/50. He's kind of a 55 to 75 overall kind of prospect. He'd go before that only to a team that really sees something in him and has the stones to reach on him. Something that Seattle has proven they could do. As it is, there are going to be a LOT of good WRs that teams would have to pass on to take him before #64 that were far more productive. And he does have an awkward inconsistency at the position that is going to turn some WR needy teams off. At times, he looks like a typical 7 foot center trying to dribble up the court. He doesn't appear to track the ball coming at him well and he isn't smooth or terribly good with his hands. Balls just look like they eat him up at times.

He could go at 32, or we could move down 10 spots or so and pick up a day 3 pick and still feel good about getting him. I wouldn't be surprised if any of those three scenarios came to pass.

Coleman has what you cannot teach, raw physical ability which Seattle obviously loves. Coleman just needs coaching and a better QB to get him to the next level of his game. which Seattle has shown it is not scared to invest in ability,coach up players and play to the strengths of their games. So I think the Seahawks should'nt get cute and just take him in the first round if he's available.
Unless he somehow blows up at the combine it would be silly to pick him in round one. He has had knee problems and has the same issues that KB has had as far as rout running and hands. I don't believe he has had near the production either(I could be wrong) and KB is a late first round prospect.
I don't think we would have any issues picking him in the second round at all especially with the amount of good receiving prospects this year.

Edit: and KB has all the physical tools without any injury history plus he is built like a tank. I imagine he would be an outstanding run blocker.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3873ts1y said:
Lynch Mob":3873ts1y said:
Attyla the Hawk":3873ts1y said:
It's very possible he'd be there at 64. Maybe 50/50. He's kind of a 55 to 75 overall kind of prospect. He'd go before that only to a team that really sees something in him and has the stones to reach on him. Something that Seattle has proven they could do. As it is, there are going to be a LOT of good WRs that teams would have to pass on to take him before #64 that were far more productive. And he does have an awkward inconsistency at the position that is going to turn some WR needy teams off. At times, he looks like a typical 7 foot center trying to dribble up the court. He doesn't appear to track the ball coming at him well and he isn't smooth or terribly good with his hands. Balls just look like they eat him up at times.

He could go at 32, or we could move down 10 spots or so and pick up a day 3 pick and still feel good about getting him. I wouldn't be surprised if any of those three scenarios came to pass.

Coleman has what you cannot teach, raw physical ability which Seattle obviously loves. Coleman just needs coaching and a better QB to get him to the next level of his game. which Seattle has shown it is not scared to invest in ability,coach up players and play to the strengths of their games. So I think the Seahawks should'nt get cute and just take him in the first round if he's available.
Unless he somehow blows up at the combine it would be silly to pick him in round one. He has had knee problems and has the same issues that KB has had as far as rout running and hands. I don't believe he has had near the production either(I could be wrong) and KB is a late first round prospect.
I don't think we would have any issues picking him in the second round at all especially with the amount of good receiving prospects this year.

Edit: and KB has all the physical tools without any injury history plus he is built like a tank. I imagine he would be an outstanding run blocker.

Kelvin Benjamin had a great QB that made him look better than he is. Coleman had a subpar QB. Benjamin looks like a plodder and Coleman looks like a burner. On the run blocking, he was mediocre at best and with his size he should've dominated in college.

I see Coleman as a better WR prospect. Benjamin looks incredibly slow on tape. I'd take Coleman for the speed and size and hands anyday. I can forgive his mental lapses when he played for a streaky, inconsistent offense.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
And so the prophet has spoken. .

I've been banging on the door all season for this. I'm almost surprised we haven't got more wrs like this knowing petes history, I can only assume rice was a stop gap till we built up the rest of the roster. Harvin will be the offenses best friend, but it's time to give rw a big target that can be his go to guy for years to come.

There's a number of different big athletic TEs coming out too, could we possibly go Coleman, then the giant out of Notre Dame in the second? Not sold on getting another te, just curious what you Draft buffs thoughts are..

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2hgmflav said:

He also doesn't have what you cannot teach. He doesn't track the ball well, or make good adjustments to the ball. His frequently turns his hands the wrong way and balls hit the ground. He doesn't fight for balls well and that could be due in part to his tracking. But he also plays very erect and doesn't play with any discernable attitude in other aspects of his game. He plays much shorter than his 6'6" frame. Balls that are high, he jumps for to cradle in his chest instead of extending his arms -- and I think that's a lack of coordination thing with him. In that regard, I see Benjamin being much better than Coleman.

I would agree though, you watch him on tape and he gets open A LOT. So many bad balls or no throws where he is there for chunk plays. And for every drop or bad play on the ball you see, there are at least 2 instances where he's open 15+ yards down the field. He has a very clean release and his long stride allows him to just eat up a corner cushion in massive chunks. Honestly, he's the kind of guy a good QB can throw open before he's even reached an NFL CB because he has the ability to make corners look like they are stuck in molasses. He makes everyone else look slow.

Ultimately I see Coleman as a nearly identical fit for this offense. He is a prospect unlike really any in this class, where he can take the lid off of an offense. To pair his unique ability to stretch coverage vertically, with Harvin's literally unfair advantage in space underneath -- and you have 2 players who complement each other perfectly lining up on one side.

To me, he's worth taking at 32 and not looking back. He is flawed. And I don't harbor a lot of hope that he'll effectively correct those flaws like we've seen done with Tate and Kearse. I expect he will drop/misplay a lot of would be touchdowns. Enough to summon visions of Darrell Jackson in his dropsies heyday. But he has innate ability that neither of those three will or ever did possess. And God help the league if he does develop and we can force teams to defend a 30 x 53.3 yard box. Our rushing attack and our good YAC receivers would tear that type of open space up.

Like Harvin, he is a player who makes opportunity for everyone else because of his gifts. Players like that -- especially when they complement each other -- have a multiplicative effect. He doesn't have to be wildly productive to have a real impact for us.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":46i9nxkv said:
Sidenote, are you going to do any writing for SDB this year?

Maybe a teeny tiny bit. It won't be like previous years though. I'm already working full time for two other sites (don't ask- neither of them sports related) and I have two other jobs on top of that.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
getnasty":7c4iks5x said:
I'm on board with this. Kearly were do you see Coleman going in the draft? I would think we'd have to take him in the first if we can't trade back, i don't see him there when we come around in the second.

Probably 30-60 range, but nobody knows anything until the draft gets very close. There are some awesome WRs this year which will push the flawed but interesting types down a round most likely.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":18t24aap said:
Lynch Mob":18t24aap said:

He also doesn't have what you cannot teach. He doesn't track the ball well, or make good adjustments to the ball. His frequently turns his hands the wrong way and balls hit the ground. He doesn't fight for balls well and that could be due in part to his tracking. But he also plays very erect and doesn't play with any discernable attitude in other aspects of his game. He plays much shorter than his 6'6" frame. Balls that are high, he jumps for to cradle in his chest instead of extending his arms -- and I think that's a lack of coordination thing with him. In that regard, I see Benjamin being much better than Coleman.

not trying to nit pick your assessment and maybe i misread that, but why would you think you cant teach ball skills? If anything thats one of the main things that can improve the most in the pros, developing chemistry with one qb and having elite level coaching. Not to mention from what i read his qbs in college were very erratic, not knowing where to turn could have more to do with expecting a ball somewhere and his qb being incapable of getting it to the right spot. I have a hard time believing anyone being put on the seahawks isnt going to learn how to fight for the ball better than before they got there. And not saying this is necessarily a good thing, but its also possible hes just flat out frustrated with what he has to deal with in college and his qbs, and didnt bring out his competitive side as much as it would here. learning how to extend his arms and improve his coordination is something he can do, teaching a guy to grow a half foot is not.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I fell in love with Brandon Coleman when I was first exposed to him, 2 years ago while reading http://seahawksdraftblog.com/ Rob had a great write up on him at the time and he would have been a first round pick back then.

Since then, QB carousel, a knee injury, and other inconsistencies have dropped his draft value. I think Kearly's comparison to Kaep's running style is spot on. Long legs that don't look like they translate to foot speed, but he gets up to speed in a hurry. Not sure how he will fare against NFL DBs, but would probably kill them in the end zone, a place where we desperately need a big target.

In Russell's rookie year he excelled at throwing up jump balls to guys like Braylon Edwards and Sidney Rice. We saw a little bit of that with Stephen Williams and it would be nice to see it again.

Fortunately for us, Brandon had to suffer through poor QB play, and I'm not familiar with their running game or other wide receivers, but I don't think there was much to take the pressure off of Coleman. Mark Harrison opted for the draft last year but he never had much production while he was there.

So I think that Brandon Coleman will be available in the 3rd round, and considering that there is some risk attached with him, I would think that trading up in the 4th would be the best way to go if he is still there. If that happened, it would be an absolute steal.

Since we don't have a 3rd round pick, I don't think John Schneider would see the value in it any other way. I see him signing a free agent wide receiver on a decent contract (if Sidney doesn't stick) and giving himself that comfort level when it comes to filling the big WR slot.

To summarize, we need a big, red zone wide receiver. Brandon Coleman would be nice if Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is not available at 32. But, sign a bargain basement big man in free agency so that there isn't a lot of pressure to fill that spot.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Interesting communication I had on draftcountdownforum with a guy I respect on that forum. He had this to say:

Nova and Dodd were/are HORRENDOUS. Andrew Parsons was watching film on the ND interior DL and just tweeted at me about how horrendous some of the throws Dodd had to Coleman were. And sadly Dodd was better than Nova. The offense was a mess and teams knew it. All our QB's could do were launch bombs and hope Coleman could get them. Now, while 75% of those were out of bounds or overthrown by 20 yards, there were some Coleman could've hauled in, but didn't.

I think that is because of his issue of struggling tracking the ball and his injury. His knee injury worsened his separation ability, sadly, as well as his explosiveness. He wasn't getting as high on the point of attack as he had in previous years.

The ability to track the ball and haul it in is something he needs to improve on, but I think with the joke that was the Rutgers coaching staff, he never had the opportunity. I think NFL coaches can help him with that and turn him more into a Brandon Marshall than a Sidney Rice. He just has so much potential when healthy. His size and speed combo is unreal. He's also literally the exact opposite of a diva WR. He doesn't go out, ever. Rarely talks to the media. Loves to block, extremely quiet (which could be a negative, not much of a leader, but leads by example) and a super hard worker. Incredible person, too. High character and upside.

He's all 'bout that action ... boss!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Unless he's still on the board when we pick in the 4th, which is possible, I don't see Coleman as likely. He is the epitome of project. That 6'6" frame is impressive, except he plays no taller than 6'3" and seems to not have a good understanding of his own size. He lets smaller DBs get inside on him and also lacks the characteristics needed to be a Hawk WR...as in, he seldom bails out his QB when scrambling and instead gives up on the play. Unsure if that's laziness or a lack of sense.

It would be great to have a guy that could terrify DBs deep, but I don't see that as absolutely necessary in this offense. I'd sooner take ASJ, who offers many options and then ask Luke Willson to drop 10 lbs. Willson is much faster than people realize (4.5) and he'd add quickness by getting down to 240. He could be lined up wide and be a more dangerous version of Joe Jurevicius, while still having the ability to fill in at TE. ASJ and Willson would be nearly impossible to defend in the red zone...and both difficult to over throw.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Incredible upside, the kind of player PC has talked about having.

This is very possible at #32, IMO more so than people think. Attyla's post regarding the Draft Countdown thread is extremely relevant.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Someone earlier compared him to Alshon Jeffery and I actually think thats a great comparison. Like Jeffery, Coleman's stock was probably higher last year.. and poor QB play + injuries is the reason why he's sliding.

I think taking him at 32 would be unnecessary because I can see Coleman being there at 64 too. I think teams will be more enamored with the 2nd tier of WR's above him.. and I don't expect him to run a blistering 40 in the combine/pro day to change that.

I myself prefer an Allen Robinson or Davante Adams to Coleman.. but I would be very happy with Coleman in R2 if they went another direction at 32

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3cj8v1gt said:

This is very possible at #32, IMO more so than people think. Attyla's post regarding the Draft Countdown thread is extremely relevant.

I agree.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":25zp47gg said:

Do you think if this is their genuine goal, they will try and trade back? I haven't seen anyone outside of the Hawks sites talking about him and I imagine if we traded back he'd still be there.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
nfldraftscout.com has him listed as a 4-5th round prospect. Presumably that's due to the knee injury but it does seem to jar somewhat with the suggestion we take him in the 1st.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
A London Hawk":34z1q6h7 said:
nfldraftscout.com has him listed as a 4-5th round prospect. Presumably that's due to the knee injury but it does seem to jar somewhat with the suggestion we take him in the 1st.

That won't happen. They also had Cody Hoffman in the 7th when I looked. I think they're two players whose position in the draft will be heavily weighted on Combine performance, but they'd both have to run 4.6 40s for those predictions to be close, and even with a 4.6 Coleman's going before the fifth.

I think he'll be there start of the second so if we could trade down a few and accrue a 5th then I'd be happier about it than at 32. Not to say I wouldn't be excited about it at 32, I'm just not sure we spend our last two 1sts on WRs.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Draftscout is pretty notorious for getting grades horribly wrong. They are a decent resource early in the process, but really by the time the regular season ends their grades don't change to match.

And they tend to really be stat driven/preseason ranking driven. I wouldn't take their grade at face value.