Why Jarran Reed is the Steal of the 2016 NFL Draft (article)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Krieg's list":2l2346mt said:
I'm sorry, but this was a very poor article. In fact, it actually managed to dampen my enthusiasm over this pick.

The first half of the article can be summarized as "Jarran Reed is a steal because lots of people not actually drafting for NFL teams thought he was really good and he was mocked much higher than SEA selected him and I think he's a total stud." Which is obviously ridiculous reasoning... except, apparently, when it's what you want to hear. :roll:

It goes on to show a few clips of Reed doing nothing particularly impressive, holding his position against single blocks (with no push) and making a tackle when the play comes right at him. This in itself isn't as worrisome as the fact the author handpicked these clips, implying they are at the very least typical-- or even worse, exceptional-- plays for Reed.

The second half of the article suddenly tries to bolster the "steal of the draft" claim by asserting that DT is a critical, underrated part of the Seattle defense, and clips are provided from a game that Mebane missed against KC where Charles tore up the SEA defense. Of course, both clips are clearly Malcolm Smith's responsibility (Wagner was also out), and in fact the DTs got good playside push in the first clip.

By far the best part of the post were the 2 comments by "jacobstevens", who offers better analysis and much more realistic expectations for Reed's performance in the NFL.

I understand people wanting to get excited about anything Seahawks, but praising a deeply flawed article because it tells you what you want to hear is lazy and irresponsible. And then these same people freak out all over these boards when SEA struggles, because in their minds they had overhyped the level of talent on the Hawks and fail to understand how razor-thin the talent discrepancy between NFL teams actually is.

While you make a fair point about Smith, I didn't see what you did in those plays. I saw at least one double-team in there, a lot of hustle, a lot of strength, and a lot of mental presence. He's a superior player on this DL without having played a down, and with his untapped potential in pass rushing, he could end up being a steal.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm so frustrated with hyperbole...... :lol:

Gawd, this place is becoming ridiculous. Reed is a dynamic player, proved it in college and all you doubters that are actually Hawk fans are gonna be stuffing 20 pound crows down your crow holes.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Krieg's list":1za7m0eo said:
kobebryant":1za7m0eo said:
Steal is an entirely subjective term as well, hard to quantify.

While this is true, would it be fair to require that "the steal of the 2016 draft" be more valuable than any player selected after him? Under this reasonable criterion, it's quite likely that Reed doesn't even end up being the steal of the Seahawks 2016 draft, let alone of the entire NFL draft.

To be clear, I'm frustrated with the hyperbole, not the actual player.

I'd agree with that.

And I was more saying that I was on board with Reed, in 3-5 years, being seen as a steal of some measure (given his low floor, and 1st round bust rate) rather than the entirely debatable and impossible to quantify (outside of obvious Russell Wilson anomolie) label of "steal of the draft".

I too hate hyperbole - "so and so hasn't done anything", "Sherman holds every play" etc

kearly

Reaction score
Krieg's list":2d1eho0b said:
I'm sorry, but this was a very poor article. In fact, it actually managed to dampen my enthusiasm over this pick.

The first half of the article can be summarized as "Jarran Reed is a steal because lots of people not actually drafting for NFL teams thought he was really good and he was mocked much higher than SEA selected him and I think he's a total stud." Which is obviously ridiculous reasoning... except, apparently, when it's what you want to hear. :roll:

It goes on to show a few clips of Reed doing nothing particularly impressive, holding his position against single blocks (with no push) and making a tackle when the play comes right at him. This in itself isn't as worrisome as the fact the author handpicked these clips, implying they are at the very least typical-- or even worse, exceptional-- plays for Reed.

The second half of the article suddenly tries to bolster the "steal of the draft" claim by asserting that DT is a critical, underrated part of the Seattle defense, and clips are provided from a game that Mebane missed against KC where Charles tore up the SEA defense. Of course, both clips are clearly Malcolm Smith's responsibility (Wagner was also out), and in fact the DTs got good playside push in the first clip.

By far the best part of the post were the 2 comments by "jacobstevens", who offers better analysis and much more realistic expectations for Reed's performance in the NFL.

I understand people wanting to get excited about anything Seahawks, but praising a deeply flawed article because it tells you what you want to hear is lazy and irresponsible. And then these same people freak out all over these boards when SEA struggles, because in their minds they had overhyped the level of talent on the Hawks and fail to understand how razor-thin the talent discrepancy between NFL teams actually is.

You can expect to take some arrows posting anything negative at .net, but still, this was a great post and I hope to see more of your thoughts in the future.

Reed is a good player and will do his job perfectly well. I'm fine with the pick, but calling it the steal of the draft is problematic for me when there are proven, superior run defenders (Ahtyba Rubin, Terrance Knighton, etc.) who sign dirt cheap deals in FA every year. He's a solid and needed addition, and I do really like his personality, but the hype is getting a little ridiculous and frankly, it's creating unfair expectations for the player.

I also liked your point that the steals of the draft are rarely the guys that media types over-valued. In most cases, actual draft steals are players who fell through the cracks for silly reasons, and one team was brave enough to take advantage of the market inefficiencies created by the scouting community's hive-mind. And then, some steals are just random luck. Cases of the media getting it right and the scouts getting it wrong (Dez Bryant, Randy Moss, Aaron Rodgers) do happen, but they are very rare.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kf3339":19155kby said:
Krieg's list":19155kby said:

Let me guess. You're a Ram, Cardinal or 49er fan trying to masquerade as a Hawk fan right now. Correct?

That must be the case since they are the only type of fans to make a post such as the one you came up with on this thread. So good job since that was indeed your goal! :sarcasm_off: :34853_doh:

Please delete this post man. Shame on you for posting this :177692: He posted something negative about an article praising a good decision by the seahawks therefore he must be an enemy fan? Good god what happened to this place?

Latest posts