Why the Seahawks and Russell Wilson finally split. Hint, it’s the drafts.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is almost unreadable with how cringily angry the guys writing is. His section about 2017 calling the mild trade-downs "mind-boggling" is almost theatrically bad.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
"After one year of abysmal play by Germain Ifedi, the entire fan base was ready to move Ifedi inside at right guard and try a new option at right tackle."

Germain Ifedi wasn't moved inside. He started his career at right guard, and was moved outside to right tackle afterwards.

This guy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about. I doubt he even watches the team with how terrible this piece is.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
This is almost unreadable with how cringily angry the guys writing is. His section about 2017 calling the mild trade-downs "mind-boggling" is almost theatrically bad.

LOl of course it is, heaven forbid he has a point.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
"After one year of abysmal play by Germain Ifedi, the entire fan base was ready to move Ifedi inside at right guard and try a new option at right tackle."

Germain Ifedi wasn't moved inside. He started his career at right guard, and was moved outside to right tackle afterwards.

This guy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about. I doubt he even watches the team with how terrible this piece is.
Of course, this is the forum MO don't like what they say come up with excuses to ignore it. FYI a lot of fans in other forums and in calls on sports radio were done with Ifedi after the 1 season. Some on this forum too.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Of course, this is the forum MO don't like what they say come up with excuses to ignore it. FYI a lot of fans in other forums and in calls on sports radio were done with Ifedi after the 1 season. Some on this forum too.
That's not what I'm saying or doing. Try reading my posts before you respond.

I'm pointing out that the dude is retelling a false history to make a wholly unoriginal point.

toffee

Reaction score
In the end, it's Russell Wilson that demanded to leave by telling the team he won't sign any extensions. He has every right to do so, doesn't need any justifications. Only thing we the 12s need to know is how he stood on podium telling us he wants to be a Hawk for his entire career AFTER he told the team he won't be signing any extensions. Hey, we learned the hard way, but his teammates knew his true color, lol, NONE had anything to say after he leaves. OK, DK did thank him for swim lessons. The silence was golden.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Help u out, if I don't reply its because I have u on ignore.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is the funny part.

Supposedly the reason we were having problems on offense was because 'Wilson couldn't or wouldn't do X'. But weirdly HC is only one of Carrol's jobs that he is failing at (blame or no blame). He is also abysmally failing as a GM. Making some of the worst decisions and worst trades in the literal history of the franchise.

Go back through the history of this franchise, you would be hard-pressed to find a worse trade than the Adams trade. But wait, because if you go through the history of the franchise, you will also find that the drafts the last 8 years are as bad or worse than some of the worst FO moves in this history of this team.

Now, admittedly, some of the best FO moves came in the first years under Carroll. But man, he is rapidly making up for it. I think he is just old and lost his ability to process the complex sets of tradeoffs you need to in order to properly evaluate drafts and FAs. Or maybe someone he had on his team that did that left - but Carroll is almost inept at it now.

So given his abject failure as a GM in the past 5 years, it is hard to believe he is doing a great job at HC and was just hamstrung by our HOF QB. We will see now that our QB beating post is gone, if Carroll improves with a worse QB, or just comes up with more excuses.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That is the funny part.

Supposedly the reason we were having problems on offense was because 'Wilson couldn't or wouldn't do X'. But weirdly HC is only one of Carrol's jobs that he is failing at (blame or no blame). He is also abysmally failing as a GM. Making some of the worst decisions and worst trades in the literal history of the franchise.

Go back through the history of this franchise, you would be hard-pressed to find a worse trade than the Adams trade. But wait, because if you go through the history of the franchise, you will also find that the drafts the last 8 years are as bad or worse than some of the worst FO moves in this history of this team.

Now, admittedly, some of the best FO moves came in the first years under Carroll. But man, he is rapidly making up for it. I think he is just old and lost his ability to process the complex sets of tradeoffs you need to in order to properly evaluate drafts and FAs. Or maybe someone he had on his team that did that left - but Carroll is almost inept at it now.

So given his abject failure as a GM in the past 5 years, it is hard to believe he is doing a great job at HC and was just hamstrung by our HOF QB. We will see now that our QB beating post is gone, if Carroll improves with a worse QB, or just comes up with more excuses.

"Last 8 drafts" is a bit of an exaggeration. There have been some real humdingers as far as bad drafts go in that period, but there have also been pretty serviceable ones as of late.

They just need to hit on more cornerstones. They overperform in the middle and late rounds, as it is.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The drafts / trades haven't been excellent, but to say this is the reason for the split, is a reach.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
The drafts / trades haven't been excellent, but to say this is the reason for the split, is a reach.
Not really. Think about it, you need good drafts and FAs to compete. If you are bad at both you can't compete.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't think it is the reason for the split.

The reason for the split is because Wilson knows he can do better, that Carroll is barely pulling his own weight, and that Carroll's focus hurts the team's chances in the playoffs...since Wilson wants to improve his playoff record for his legacy.

And he is right. Carroll, for the most part, keeps this a team that won't do well in the playoffs. And Carroll has little to no value as an effective HC or GM (as the comments about his drafts and trades illustrate). So why bother? He can do better and he knows this.

If average fans, with a cursory understanding of some of the tactical and strategic issues with Carroll can see the problem - what do you think someone who has steeped themselves in football for 20+ years and focuses on it as his profession would see?

Wilson left the Seahawks because the roster was terrible and because the coaching was not up to his standards. Why bother with a flawed roster and even more flawed coach if you can join a better roster with a better coach & GM?

The draft is not the primary issue but failures in the draft and bad trades led to this substandard roster we have now. So the drafts contributed but not the primary driver of the split.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Not really. Think about it, you need good drafts and FAs to compete. If you are bad at both you can't compete.
Wow, I find myself agreeing with John63 on a Russell-Wilson-related topic!

Russell had a myriad of reasons for leaving, but I have no doubt the poor roster construction, poor overall talent level, was a factor. Pete has not shown he can build a playoff-quality roster while paying a top-10 QB franchise QB money. This team is perhaps 8-10 talented players short of the SB years. Russell knows that. He would be looking at another 8-9 or 9-8 type of year, especially in the NFC West.

The linked article was a decent recap of the Hawks' choices, and certainly points to issues in talent evaluation. Paul Richardson simply didn't have an NFL-level frame and was always going to be injury prone. LJ Collier was simply a head-scratcher all the way around. I can give the Hawks a bit of a pass on Malik McDowell because at least the talent was there. Rashaad Penny has finally shown his talent. Will it continue or fizzle out? Now, trades and free agency, lots to criticize there, just keep in mind that paying your QB limits the free agent budget. Jamal Adams, well that's about like the Percy Harvin trade, except Adams isn't a headcase and there's still a decent shot to get some great seasons out of him and make the trade closer to a draw. Duane Brown was actually a pretty good acquisition. The rentals of Clowney and Sheldon Richardson didn't really turn out so well, and cost draft capital and talent capital. Jacob Martin has done well for Houston.

It seems the only hope for improvement is for Carroll to delegate a bit more of the personnel evaluation and acquisition to others. We'll have to get very lucky at the QB position to have any shot at being a playoff team. The current upcoming situation has the feel of "The TJack years".

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
You think their drafts are bad, look at their Free Agent signings since 2014. Yeesh.
Their drafts have produced highly productive players. John Schneider has built a couple of SB teams through the draft. Seattle is lucky to have him. Also they've had success in trades. The free agent market anymore is nothing but overpriced vets looking for a payday. Building through the draft is the current plan and a damn good one. Drew Lock vs Jimmy G next year twice. Can't wait., Mark the dates down

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I don't know if it led to the split. Maybe. If we kept loading up the roster and won more in the playoffs maybe things would have been all rainbows and unicorns.

But one thing is for sure - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that all those extra picks have not helped the roster any. Can't fully evaluate the last couple drafts yet but between 2013 and 2019 they have been abysmal after the 2nd round. We got Lockett in the 3rd. After that we got Dissly, Carson and Luke Wilson from all those picks. 7 drafts. and by my count, equaling 56 picks. That's abysmal.