Why the Seahawks and Russell Wilson finally split. Hint, it’s the drafts.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
^^THIS RIGHT HERE^^
PLUS, the Seahawks supposedly had their KEY players locked in, and were drafting to find players to WORK INTO their system. + Some of Pete's sub-Coaches were poached away, and say what ya want, their input to the Drafting of certain players were huge in the TEAM BUILDING plans back then.
And again PC is the guy in charge so that means he failed to find adequate replacements or refused to listen or both. FYI in 2016 they did not have their key players locked up. LOB was defunct, Lynch was starting to break down.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sorry Scot. I spelled his name wrong.

But yes, Scot filled rosters with stars and top 5 at their position players wherever he went. The 49ers, here, Washington, and even Cleveland likely has stellar players on it based on his work.

Sure it is POSSIBLE that Carroll could rebuild things without Scot. But he hasn't been able to do it 10 years so don't be shocked if it doesn't happen. More telling is that not only has Carroll not accomplished this, he has put together one of the worst draft and FA decision stretches of any team in the past 5 years. So yeah. Unlikely.

Nothing is impossible but expecting anything other than the current trend seems like setting yourself up for disappointment.

PS - The 'we didn't get many good drafts because we drafted too late' was a dumb argument then and is an even dumber argument now. Many of Scot's greatest finds were in the later rounds. The idea that we were prevented from picking good players early because we had to wait until the slot they were projected in - and by then they were snatched up...that is a weird flawed argument.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I know it's tempting to oversimplify things into one easy narrative but that doesn't fit reality which is always very messy.

Drafting is the key to having a strong roster and so it's obviously relevant. Many people would argue that Denver has drafted better than Seattle over the last five seasons, but PFR's wAV ratings do not bear that out. The Hawks actually have a 7.6% edge in players drafted by that metric.

At the same time, it's important to recognize that Denver also spent significantly more draft capital in each of those years than the Hawks did.

So what's going on here? The Broncos may not have not drafted as well as the Hawks have recently but they have drafted a lot more. That sheer quantity of draft capital matters enormously due to the artificially low rookie contracts. Even if you have a lot of busts, filling the bulk of your team with rookies allows you to spend big on the rest of your roster.

In contrast, the Hawks spent just the 29th most draft capital in the league over this period. Partly due to winning and thus getting lower picks, partly due to trading away picks for players, and partly due to not valuing compensatory picks as highly as they had done previously. Thus we had a roster entering this off-season in dire need of draft capital.

Also, given our lack of capital the drafting has been very solid. Over the last five seasons we are 8th in the NFL in terms of 'bang for the buck', comparing draft wAV gained to draft capital spent. The seven teams above us? Rams, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Steelers, Texans!, and Saints.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think what's partially lost on people is that what the team is looking for now and how it's building its roster is not what it's been in the past. I'd also say the last 2 drafts haven't been bad. And the last two years, on defense at least, have also been periods of transition. Messy as it's been, it's transition, nonetheless. And in that time we've added 3 pieces (taylor, brooks and brown - sounds like a law firm) that will in my opinion, without a doubt, be looked at, 3 or 4 years from now in the same way we looked at Bobby, Earl and Kam.

We aren't looking to build around aging vets. We've brought in vets to fill spots, but the nucleus of the defense, its star power, is youthful. 2 years ago, we were marching out Wagner, KJ and Irvin. Our corners were a holdover from the Sherm transition years, and Diggs was the only piece worth really noting... and that was based on one year on the roster. All a result of clinging to an old identity.

The DLine had potential, but Jaran jumping ship scuttled their plans I think.

So I personally don't see the logic in drawing conclusions that the FO CANT draft anymore and that because of that, we're bound to fail. The metrics are different, the nucleus has shifted drastically, and the future cornerstones are up and coming. I think is sincerely where Pete and John want to be and i believe that we're going to be better, faster than many think. You just can't look at it in black and white and say 'since 2013, we've sucked in the draft, so we have no chance'. Well, you actually can if you want. I personally just don't see the logic in it. Too much has changed, and recent history points to a FO that has pulled out some solid players on very little in the way of opportunity.

As to the theory that we jettisoned Russ because of poor drafting. Seems like for some, anything is better than just looking at the only factual, indisputable indicators that exist. Play on the field and the stated desire of Russ himself to leave. It's pretty much known at this point that John had been interested in acquiring new talent at the spot since what, 2018? That's well before what some call the worst trade in franchise history (JAdams), which I suppose in part feeds the theory that necessitated moving Russ to recoup our losses? It's also well known that Russ has had a burr up his butt since.

Truth - Pete loved Russ and bent over backwards for him to maintain the bridge. John, the 'value & big picture guy', saw the need years ago to push Russ. Why? I don't know ... hmmm... why might one feel the need to push their 'star' athlete? Maybe because he isn't performing at a rate commiserate with his pay, and possibly underperforming in ways that might ultimately be problematic in achieving success, whether inside the locker room or on the field.

Russ disagreed, felt like he was probably carried a bit like the 'coaches son', and resented John wanting to bring another guy in. So Russ wants to leave. He complains that the offense needs to be more advanced, and so lobbies for his cooking campaign and begins to channel his frustration with the team not 'valuing ' him, in a personal image campaign that turns the spotlight away from the Hawks and squarely on him. He matches his mvp talk with his cooking campaign and all seems well until he runs up against the VERY THING, John had likely been thinking for years now - that Russ's ceiling is far lower than the negotiating floor of his next contract. Defenses have him figured. The chasm widens after 2020. John is likely fed up with what is now obvious and what led him to explore the idea of drafting a successor years ago. Russ digs in his feet. And what plays out in 2021 is the story of a GM who is tired of the shortcomings of his QB, a HC who in his undying commitment to never giving up on a relationship or a person wants to try to work things out with Russ, but foolishly thinks the last 5 games will sway his QB to see the light. And one, Russel Wilson who was careful to only put on tape last year, the things that could strengthen his position on the trade block (ie - not potentially fumbling through learning a new offense - an offense predicated on cerebral qb play (see Goffs exit from LA)) rather than exposing his defiencies. But... he fumbled that, because his injury, which he couldn't have predicted, opened the door to possibly allowing his backup to, on the heels of completing 14 straight passes in his last start, go head to head with Aaron Rodgers on MNF and God forbid, maybe win. So he rushes back to assure the only tape that exists in 2021 is of Russ being Russ. Not Russ struggling through the playbook of the OC he pushed to bring in. AND certainly NOT , allowing his backup to come in and start running things that he couldnt... after the benefit of having a few more starts under his belt. Maybe more important than his backups play was the possibility that he wouldn't be as good on the field in terms of the spectacle, but that he might win over his teammates and their loyalty... which he ultimately did in 3 starts.

So Russ's 2021 'me' campaign is covered in the mud of play that was again solved by week 3 last year, a backup who won the praises of his teammates, while his most loyal of teammates, DK, was visibly frustrated by his underperforming and expressing his frustrations on the field and the sidelines. And an injury that ironically, likely gave him just enough 'cover' to save a season that likely would have necessitated the shift in strategy we saw midway in 2020, had he gone the season unscathed.

Russ is gone because he had no cards left to play here. He knew it. John knew it. And Pete was just optimistic he could sway him.

Russ's hope now is that he can get the 3+ seconds of protection he's going to need in Denver to become the Brady/Brees/Rodgers God he's always sees himself as.

AINT GONNA HAPPEN, CAP'N.

But its going to be fun watching him try...

hawks85

Reaction score
The drafts? No. I've said this a million times over. Wilson is extremely overrated. No O-line will/can protect Wilson because 1. He's to short and 2. He runs around to much and hangs on to the ball for way to long. Wilson has it in his head that Denver will be a better fit, nope. Wilson is a backyard QB with a nice deep pass that's it. I'll bet the house that Denver never wins or goes to the SB even with Wilson, Why, because in 1-3 years Wilson will be bitching about the same stuff he bitched about Seattle.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
The drafts? No. I've said this a million times over. Wilson is extremely overrated. No O-line will/can protect Wilson because 1. He's to short and 2. He runs around to much and hangs on to the ball for way to long. Wilson has it in his head that Denver will be a better fit, nope. Wilson is a backyard QB with a nice deep pass that's it. I'll bet the house that Denver never wins or goes to the SB even with Wilson, Why, because in 1-3 years Wilson will be bitching about the same stuff he bitched about Seattle.
we will see won't we.

hawks85

Reaction score
I think what's partially lost on people is that what the team is looking for now and how it's building its roster is not what it's been in the past. I'd also say the last 2 drafts haven't been bad. And the last two years, on defense at least, have also been periods of transition. Messy as it's been, it's transition, nonetheless. And in that time we've added 3 pieces (taylor, brooks and brown - sounds like a law firm) that will in my opinion, without a doubt, be looked at, 3 or 4 years from now in the same way we looked at Bobby, Earl and Kam.

We aren't looking to build around aging vets. We've brought in vets to fill spots, but the nucleus of the defense, its star power, is youthful. 2 years ago, we were marching out Wagner, KJ and Irvin. Our corners were a holdover from the Sherm transition years, and Diggs was the only piece worth really noting... and that was based on one year on the roster. All a result of clinging to an old identity.

The DLine had potential, but Jaran jumping ship scuttled their plans I think.

So I personally don't see the logic in drawing conclusions that the FO CANT draft anymore and that because of that, we're bound to fail. The metrics are different, the nucleus has shifted drastically, and the future cornerstones are up and coming. I think is sincerely where Pete and John want to be and i believe that we're going to be better, faster than many think. You just can't look at it in black and white and say 'since 2013, we've sucked in the draft, so we have no chance'. Well, you actually can if you want. I personally just don't see the logic in it. Too much has changed, and recent history points to a FO that has pulled out some solid players on very little in the way of opportunity.

As to the theory that we jettisoned Russ because of poor drafting. Seems like for some, anything is better than just looking at the only factual, indisputable indicators that exist. Play on the field and the stated desire of Russ himself to leave. It's pretty much known at this point that John had been interested in acquiring new talent at the spot since what, 2018? That's well before what some call the worst trade in franchise history (JAdams), which I suppose in part feeds the theory that necessitated moving Russ to recoup our losses? It's also well known that Russ has had a burr up his butt since.

Truth - Pete loved Russ and bent over backwards for him to maintain the bridge. John, the 'value & big picture guy', saw the need years ago to push Russ. Why? I don't know ... hmmm... why might one feel the need to push their 'star' athlete? Maybe because he isn't performing at a rate commiserate with his pay, and possibly underperforming in ways that might ultimately be problematic in achieving success, whether inside the locker room or on the field.

Russ disagreed, felt like he was probably carried a bit like the 'coaches son', and resented John wanting to bring another guy in. So Russ wants to leave. He complains that the offense needs to be more advanced, and so lobbies for his cooking campaign and begins to channel his frustration with the team not 'valuing ' him, in a personal image campaign that turns the spotlight away from the Hawks and squarely on him. He matches his mvp talk with his cooking campaign and all seems well until he runs up against the VERY THING, John had likely been thinking for years now - that Russ's ceiling is far lower than the negotiating floor of his next contract. Defenses have him figured. The chasm widens after 2020. John is likely fed up with what is now obvious and what led him to explore the idea of drafting a successor years ago. Russ digs in his feet. And what plays out in 2021 is the story of a GM who is tired of the shortcomings of his QB, a HC who in his undying commitment to never giving up on a relationship or a person wants to try to work things out with Russ, but foolishly thinks the last 5 games will sway his QB to see the light. And one, Russel Wilson who was careful to only put on tape last year, the things that could strengthen his position on the trade block (ie - not potentially fumbling through learning a new offense - an offense predicated on cerebral qb play (see Goffs exit from LA)) rather than exposing his defiencies. But... he fumbled that, because his injury, which he couldn't have predicted, opened the door to possibly allowing his backup to, on the heels of completing 14 straight passes in his last start, go head to head with Aaron Rodgers on MNF and God forbid, maybe win. So he rushes back to assure the only tape that exists in 2021 is of Russ being Russ. Not Russ struggling through the playbook of the OC he pushed to bring in. AND certainly NOT , allowing his backup to come in and start running things that he couldnt... after the benefit of having a few more starts under his belt. Maybe more important than his backups play was the possibility that he wouldn't be as good on the field in terms of the spectacle, but that he might win over his teammates and their loyalty... which he ultimately did in 3 starts.

So Russ's 2021 'me' campaign is covered in the mud of play that was again solved by week 3 last year, a backup who won the praises of his teammates, while his most loyal of teammates, DK, was visibly frustrated by his underperforming and expressing his frustrations on the field and the sidelines. And an injury that ironically, likely gave him just enough 'cover' to save a season that likely would have necessitated the shift in strategy we saw midway in 2020, had he gone the season unscathed.

Russ is gone because he had no cards left to play here. He knew it. John knew it. And Pete was just optimistic he could sway him.

Russ's hope now is that he can get the 3+ seconds of protection he's going to need in Denver to become the Brady/Brees/Rodgers God he's always sees himself as.

AINT GONNA HAPPEN, CAP'N.

But its going to be fun watching him try...
I've never liked Wilson. That dude thinks he's better than he actually is and thinks Denver will be a better fit. I'm glad Wilson is gone. No O-line in the world can protect Wilson because he's a backyard QB with a nice deep pass that runs around to much because he's to short and hangs onto the ball for way to long.

xray

Reaction score
Check your messages . Wilson doesn't live here anymore . Questions ?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Wilson wants to win. He named his first born son, "Win."

That's how bad he wants to win. He could not do that here. Pete ran the team into the ground. Wilson was wasting his time, and the Seahawks time for that matter by staying.

He went to a team that has a top 5 defense, a top 5 run game, a top 10 O-Line. 3 quality targets at WR, a quality Offensive Head Coach. They are young, and ready to win now. A team that is fully invested in him, and willing to do whatever it takes to give him what he needs to win and be successful. Pete wasn't willing to that.

Pete wasted years building a failed defense, and a run game, with Wilson having to come in and save the day time after time.

Wilson had to practically beg just to get Gabe freakin' Jackson and was treated like an ingrate.

Pete can now fully invest in his philosophy. And see how that goes for him. It won't go well, but at least he can say he did it his way.
huh??? He won a Lombardi and went to a couple of super bowls and won a ton of games. Would've won another one if he didn't throw the Butler pick. We let Wilson cook and he served up some bottom round. With Lock we get top sirloin and now finally have a guy that is tall and can see over the linemen. Can't wait to see lock exploit defenses with 2 freaky good tight ends in Fant and Dissly

Attachments

• fant.jpg
    fant.jpg
    932 KB · Views: 1

Fade

Reaction score
huh??? He won a Lombardi and went to a couple of super bowls and won a ton of games. Would've won another one if he didn't throw the Butler pick. We let Wilson cook and he served up some bottom round. With Lock we get top sirloin and now finally have a guy that is tall and can see over the linemen. Can't wait to see lock exploit defenses with 2 freaky good tight ends in Fant and Dissly
Going forward. The roster is ranging from mediocre to bad. Clinging to the past from 10+ years ago is why the Seahawks are in the situation they are in now. It is absolutely irrelevant to point to things from that long ago.

Fade

Reaction score
I know it's tempting to oversimplify things into one easy narrative but that doesn't fit reality which is always very messy.

Drafting is the key to having a strong roster and so it's obviously relevant. Many people would argue that Denver has drafted better than Seattle over the last five seasons, but PFR's wAV ratings do not bear that out. The Hawks actually have a 7.6% edge in players drafted by that metric.

View attachment 11265

At the same time, it's important to recognize that Denver also spent significantly more draft capital in each of those years than the Hawks did.

View attachment 11264

So what's going on here? The Broncos may not have not drafted as well as the Hawks have recently but they have drafted a lot more. That sheer quantity of draft capital matters enormously due to the artificially low rookie contracts. Even if you have a lot of busts, filling the bulk of your team with rookies allows you to spend big on the rest of your roster.

In contrast, the Hawks spent just the 29th most draft capital in the league over this period. Partly due to winning and thus getting lower picks, partly due to trading away picks for players, and partly due to not valuing compensatory picks as highly as they had done previously. Thus we had a roster entering this off-season in dire need of draft capital.

Also, given our lack of capital the drafting has been very solid. Over the last five seasons we are 8th in the NFL in terms of 'bang for the buck', comparing draft wAV gained to draft capital spent. The seven teams above us? Rams, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Steelers, Texans!, and Saints.

View attachment 11267

w.AV? You realize Seattle has rolled out absolute bums on the field like Tedric Thompson, Germain Ifedi, David Moore, Tre Flowers, etc.

Side Note: Tre Flowers is statistically one of the worst corners in NFL history. Currently has 14 career wAV tied for #1 for the Seahawks 2018 draft class. Puke.
wAV is horrible metric to use. Getting PT on defense = wAV.
The Seahawks giving bad players they drafted playing time doesn't = they are good at drafting or even okay at drafting.

What you're looking for is impact. Game changers. Like DK Metcalf, Michael Dickson, the only 2 guys of note, in the last 4 drafts. Maybe Brooks and Taylor if they can put it together this year.

And are you counting guys like Malik McDowell who never played a snap for the Seahawks, but has compiled 6 wAV with the Browns?

No, the Seahawks have low capitol over the years because they trade it away to cover all their holes from Bad drafts and Free Agency signings.

The Donkey's new GM has only been there a year, and has done more for the Donks in one year than PC/JS have done in the last seven years.

George Paton
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-awarded-fifth-annual-best-draft-award
As voted on by his peers around the league said he drafted better than anyone last year.

The 9 of the 10 players he drafted last year contributed and looked great doing it.

They were a team that was just a QB away.

Meanwhile the Seahawks are anything but a QB away.

Seahawks
2013 - Horrible draft, one of the worst in NFL history.
2014 - Bad draft.
2015 - Good, not great draft at best.
2016 - Bad draft.
2017 - Horrible draft. Carson saved it from being a total disaster.

Side Note: Since 2016 the Seahawks have drafted over 50 players only 3 have made the probowl - DK & a punter. Shaq Griffin made it once.

2018 - Mediocre to bad. Dickson draft.
2019 - The DK draft. Thank god he fell, or another horrible draft.
2020 - Good draft could be Great too early to tell.
2021 - Sold the farm for Adams draft.
2022 - Traded Wilson to get picks back draft.

keasley45

Reaction score
w.AV? You realize Seattle has rolled out absolute bums on the field like Tedric Thompson, Germain Ifedi, David Moore, Tre Flowers, etc.

Side Note: Tre Flowers is statistically one of the worst corners in NFL history. Currently has 14 career wAV tied for #1 for the Seahawks 2018 draft class. Puke.
The Seahawks giving bad players they drafted playing time doesn't = they are good at drafting or even okay at drafting.

What you're looking for is impact. Game changers. Like DK Metcalf, Michael Dickson, the only 2 guys of note, in the last 4 drafts. Maybe Brooks and Taylor if they can put it together this year.

And are you counting guys like Malik McDowell who never played a snap for the Seahawks, but has compiled 6 wAV with the Browns?

No, the Seahawks have low capitol over the years because they trade it away to cover all their holes from Bad drafts and Free Agency signings.

The Donkey's new GM has only been there a year, and has done more for the Donks in one year than PC/JS have done in the last seven years.

George Paton
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-awarded-fifth-annual-best-draft-award
As voted on by his peers around the league said he drafted better than anyone last year.

The 9 of the 10 players he drafted last year contributed and looked great doing it.

Seahawks
2014 - Bad draft.
2016 - Bad draft.

Side Note: Since 2016 the Seahawks have drafted over 50 players only 3 have made the probowl - DK & a punter. Shaq Griffin made it once.

Can't disagree with the synopsis, but I think you're a bit dismissive of the last 2 years. And neglect to acknowledge that finding 3 pro bowlers over that period puts them 13th best in the leaguein terms of that metric. And if they're constantly trading back, willingly taking the chance that the further back you go, the lower the likelihood you'll hit on a guy, then you can look at that ratio as a case of churning the lower talent ranks and still getting a return.
You also can't simply look at the draft in isolation. If a FO thinks the team is 'good' in certain positions and trading back for depth, OR looking for a specific, prototypical player to fit a specific need, you're inherently going to churn through more fringe players.
And by your analysis, this team should have been garbage by 2020, yet that year we sent the 2nd most players in the league to the probowl. And that was with some notable snubs.
So the draft has been a tool they've wielded in a specific way. For a specific purpose. They've willingly swung and missed at times, knowing that if they missed, they'd reload via FA or trades. They've had the benefit of having a perennial contender and intentionally NOT relied on the draft to finish the roster, but instead a 3 pronged approach that leveraged draft, trades, and FA to meet their needs.
This year (a year late IMO) they flipped the switch to build again through youth. In truth, it started last year, when they also committed to transitioning the D.
I'm not forgiving the performance of the FO over the years. They've stubbornly clung to a profile and formula despite signs that the their methods had hit a ceiling. But, they were in fact fielding a team every year that was talented enough to make a run( why they failed will be clearer when we see what Russ does in Denver). And like I said, through 2020, they were perceived across the league to have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.
What they've done since has marked and obvious shift in outlook and strategy. If you want to fault the strategy they used for the 6 years prior i think thats totally fair because as Pete admitted, they were stubborn. But to focus on drafts alone as the measure of what they've done in maintaining one of the top 2 or 3 winningest feanchises since they've been together is ... not seeing the whole picture.
And I honestly think that a big part of the reason the FO gets the criti ism it does is because of the perception that the team was as good as it was BECAUSE Wilson saved it.
Folks in the FO have apparently felt for a while that Russel wasn't the savior many believe him to be and if you read John's body language and his words on the subject of Russ, he's been a piece the team has had to work around.
The next few years will shed a ton of light on what was really going on during the Russ years. Any evaluation of the JS/PC era (draft, FA, trades) hinges on a clear understanding of that dynamic and the truth behind who and what Russ is as a QB. If they were succeeding in some instances despite him, or if he was the only thing they had and worthy of constructing the team around him.

keasley45

Reaction score
Going forward. The roster is ranging from mediocre to bad. Clinging to the past from 10+ years ago is why the Seahawks are in the situation they are in now. It is absolutely irrelevant to point to things from that long ago.
This, i just don't understand. If a team fields arguably one of the best safety tandems in the league, one of the best wr duos in the league, in the backfield, one running back who's been regarded as the most underrated in the league, and another who was the best in the league to close out the season...
At LB the names Taylor and Brooks - two talents noted league wide as players to watch, AND Nwoso
At Cb, the return of Tre Brown who did nothing but absolutely impress in his limited snaps and at minimum the return of Coleman who was without a doubt the best slot corner we've had in a very long time

On DL- a fortified front, post DEN trade

Gonna stop there, because that doesn't even take into account guys like Blair and the good depth we showed on defense to close the year last year.

But how does any of that translate to 'mediocre to bad'?

And... we have a boatload of draft capital for the next two years...

Glass half full vs glass half empty.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
At least we've had more than 6 winning seasons this century

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

George Paton

Seahawks
2014 - Bad draft.
2016 - Bad draft.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Traded Wilson’s cap hit for a chance at a complete team again. Something we haven’t had since 15’

When you’re hamstrung by quarterbacks like Wilson and Jimmy G due to cap hit, it renders your ability to maintain quality. Look at DJ Jones and Tomlinson for the Niners. I’m sure they would’ve loved to have them back but with Jimmy’s cap hit you had like a 20 second window lol

It’ll feel good once again to be able to build without the constraints of a 25% cap hit