Why we shouldn't echo national experts' opinions on our QB

toffee

Reaction score
I may sound like a Geno apologist, but I was dismissive on signing him as our backup. When he enter the Rams game, I switched channel, didn't want to waste time watching Geno WHO. National experts are understandably making Geno the village jester, and all pointed at Pete/John for not drafting a QB this year. I was disappointed by his off season DUI and was even more disappointed when Pete signed a DUI Geno for this season.

That was before I rewatched last year's 3.5 games, and read up a bit more on his last 6.5 games. He was graded 73.9 by PFF for his 3.5 games in 2021, and 90.4 for this preseason. Please allow me to put some perspective on those grades. Here are the QBs that played in conference championship games for the last 16 years.

Some QBs suffered worse PFF season grade or matched Geno's of last 6.5 games, Among them: Mark Sanchez ('09, '10), Russell Wilson ('14), Rex Grossman ('06), Eli Manning ('07), Jay Cutler ('10), Kaep ('12 & '13), JimmyG ('21), Big Ben ('08), Flacco ('08, '12), Peyton ('15), Bortles ('17), McNabb ('08), Favre ('07), Warner ('08) That was 14 QBs and 17 seasons. Folks, Geno's 73.9 wasn't shabby, Wilson was graded exactly the same for 2021.

Not sure if Geno can keep playing at the level of his last 6.5 games, if he could, he certainly wasn't the worst QB to start a season. And we mustn't allow the national experts making a joker out of our starting QB.QB

Last edited:
W

Welshers

Sorry Toffe,, I hope you're right and he proves me wrong, but I'm not feeling it! Geno sucks and won't score points! Pete is tanking!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sorry Toffe,, I hope you're right and he proves me wrong, but I'm not feeling it! Geno sucks and won't score points! Pete is tanking!
You could be right, but this homer is determine to be happy and supportive before the reality or season starts.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Additional thoughts on this chart:
  1. Harbaugh made the wrong decision to dump Alex Smith for Kaep?
  2. Jets of '09 and '10 had great defense? Sanchez wasn't very good.
  3. Same for Raven of '11 and '12? Flacco's grade was worse than Sanchez's
  4. Same for Giants of '07 and Bronco of '15?
  5. Shanahan may be right to dump JimmyG.1662169891352

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pete isn't tanking and you are always proven wrong.

I would be worried if you predicted the opposite.

W

Welshers

Well whats he doing then? Trying to win the super bowl with geno Smith? I have a immaculate record of predictions. Ask anyone here people say I'm borderline clairvoyant

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

I am of the opinion that Pete didn't see any franchise or savior class QB in this draft or FA. Pete and John's worst nightmare would be to sign or draft a QB who just show enough potential in some sort of fool's gold kinda way. Two consequences:

1. It may affect our draft position,
2. What to do with his guy that show some potential but will not lead you deep into playoffs year after year.

We may end up wasting three four years just to find out.

chrispy

Reaction score
Everyone understands why the national pundits are predicting doom. However, it's absolutely a justifiable perspective to wait and see. Pete has made the right call at QB consistently. He did so at USC. He cut Hass loose at the right time. He found a bridge with TJack that no one else wanted. He had Flynn and Russ push each other. Not to mention drafting shorty at all. Hindsight is 20/20 but 90% of people here disagreed with some/most of those decisions. He may blow this one and be wrong about Geno and Lock. Time will tell. Just think back to the draft pundits after picking RW3 before you write off Pete's current choice. Wonder why Daniel Jeremiah is the only talking head giving Seahawks a chance in Game 1... he's also about the only guy who liked the RW draft pick at the time.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
What QB was available that's better than Geno? No One.
I'm not sure if Blaine Gabbert was available, but his 1 year Buc's contract reads $1.75 million.
Gabbert physically reminds me of Geno...same size, same age, both with excellentl 40 yard times. Gabbert's 10 inch hand span seems special.
Gabbert's Wunderlic score was 48, which indicates 'genius', so maybe the Bucs vs Hawks rosters would have made his decision very simple for him.
If Gabbert gets a TV job(or youtube channel) after his retirement, maybe he could be a more credible 'expert'.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Gabbert was not available.
Seahawks didn't have the cap space for an injury prone Jimmy G, and they weren't going to pay 49ers asking price. If SF didn't want him, why should we?
I don't see a significant upgrade at QB anywhere. It would have been a waste of draft capitol and cap space, for what? A 2nd string QB?
And who would you draft over Charles Cross? Would you sacrifice the chance at an elite level OLine for a mediocre QB?

Build the team, then get your QB. That strategy brought Seattle it's first SuperB Owl victory.

Or you could pay a butt load of money to another Matt Flynn, who did what in the NFL? Oh, that's right, nothing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Matt Flynn 8 year career, 17 TDs, 11 INTs. 0 TDs for Seattle. 13 TDs were in 2 games for the Packers.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I may sound like a Geno apologist, but I was dismissive on signing him as our backup. When he enter the Rams game, I switched channel, didn't want to waste time watching Geno WHO. National experts are understandably making Geno the village jester, and all pointed at Pete/John for not drafting a QB this year. I was disappointed by his off season DUI and was even more disappointed when Pete signed a DUI Geno for this season.

That was before I rewatched last year's 3.5 games, and read up a bit more on his last 6.5 games. He was graded 73.9 by PFF for his 3.5 games in 2021, and 90.4 for this preseason. Please allow me to put some perspective on those grades. Here are the QBs that played in conference championship games for the last 16 years.

Some QBs suffered worse PFF season grade or matched Geno's of last 6.5 games, Among them: Mark Sanchez ('09, '10), Russell Wilson ('14), Rex Grossman ('06), Eli Manning ('07), Jay Cutler ('10), Kaep ('12 & '13), JimmyG ('21), Big Ben ('08), Flacco ('08, '12), Peyton ('15), Bortles ('17), McNabb ('08), Favre ('07), Warner ('08) That was 14 QBs and 17 seasons. Folks, Geno's 73.9 wasn't shabby, Wilson was graded exactly the same for 2021.

Not sure if Geno can keep playing at the level of his last 6.5 games, if he could, he certainly wasn't the worst QB to start a season. And we mustn't allow the national experts making a joker out of our starting QB.

View attachment 54294
Not saying you're right or wrong, but that is a solid presentation Toffee.