Wide reciever help?

rcaido

Reaction score
Just bench Kearse, put in Jimmy instead & have Willson/Vannett do TE problem solve.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
rcaido":ipjqsp2g said:
Just bench Kearse, put in Jimmy instead & have Willson/Vannett do TE problem solve.

Makes sense but apparently not to a certain OC who shall remain nameless...

E through during chinese new year world of buzz 10

Seafan

Reaction score
Deepest position on the team. For how they use them the team has enough. Spending drafts picks on another WR would be a waste.

original poster

Reaction score
I've been saying for a while that our WR depth is a concern.

When you actually look at it there are an uncomfortable amount of question marks at the position.

If Kearse gets back on track somewhat or someone else steps up it'll help but ultimately I wouldn't be annoyed at spending a second round pick on one.

naholmes

Reaction score
Depth behind Baldwin is a huge concern. If Lockett is healthy for the start of the season, if Richardson carries his playoff run into next season and is able to stay healthy, if Kearse is able to get his game back on track and start making big plays again, if somebody else is able to establish themselves in the league. Like the last poster said there are way too many question marks and I expect them to draft a WR in the mid rounds. This draft doesn't appear particularly strong at WR but it looks like there may be some value picks with good size around in round 3 depending on how things shake out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":goss8a5h said:
Jimmy can't be covered one on one, but hey, let's not use him in the red zone :?
Nope, Cable needs him in there to help the anemic O-Line. :lol:

Jville

Reaction score
scutterhawk":21zn8l66 said:
SoulfishHawk":21zn8l66 said:
Jimmy can't be covered one on one, but hey, let's not use him in the red zone :?
Nope, Cable needs him in there to help the anemic O-Line. :lol:

You guys lack both the discipline and courtesy to stay on topic.

Jville

Reaction score
Such lack of respect trivializes topics and diminishes the forum.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
nash72":1gw8ar25 said:
I'll never figure out why Matthews was ever let go, especially after his SB performance.

Probably because he wasn't any good after the Patriots took a 5-11 corner off him. He's done absolutely nothing in Baltimore and didn't do anything in Seattle after that first half.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seafan":34h8ram4 said:
Deepest position on the team. For how they use them the team has enough. Spending drafts picks on another WR would be a waste.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What Seahawks roster are you looking at?

Jville

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2x1rgk4h said:
nash72":2x1rgk4h said:
I'll never figure out why Matthews was ever let go, especially after his SB performance.

Probably because he wasn't any good after the Patriots took a 5-11 corner off him. He's done absolutely nothing in Baltimore and didn't do anything in Seattle after that first half.

Matthew enjoyed a mismatch advantage for a brief period of fame ....... until defenses adjusted. I remember that the local hype over him was significant but I thought unwarranted.

nash72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3h3kiphv said:
nash72":3h3kiphv said:

He wasnt given the chance in Seattle to be honest. They rarely used him. You would think a competent OC would try to look for match ups where a large receiver could excel. Oh never mind. Now I know why he failed in Seattle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":1tvi7f5t said:
Hasselbeck":1tvi7f5t said:
nash72":1tvi7f5t said:

He wasnt given the chance in Seattle to be honest. They rarely used him. You would think a competent OC would try to look for match ups where a large receiver could excel. Oh never mind. Now I know why he failed in Seattle.

Did you even read what Hasselbeck wrote? Matthews has been on another team since then and still done nothing. That's evidence that he might just not be all that much. There's a hell of a lot more to being a receiver than just being big.

nash72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":27e0znxw said:
nash72":27e0znxw said:
Hasselbeck":27e0znxw said:
nash72":27e0znxw said:

Did you even read what Hasselbeck wrote? Matthews has been on another team since then and still done nothing. That's evidence that he might just not be all that much. There's a hell of a lot more to being a receiver than just being big.

I never watch Baltimore and dont know how they use him. Is it Matthews, is it Flacco? I dont seem to remember anybody getting off last year for the Ravens, but again, I dont pay attention to them. I do know that a large receiver is a glaring chink in our armor and we had one that would have probably gotten the MVP in the SB if knucklehead would have called a running play. SB MVP's usually sign contracts, not get cut.

Jville

Reaction score
nash72":2frd5z14 said:
Hasselbeck":2frd5z14 said:
nash72":2frd5z14 said:

:177692: That is incorrect ........ as in false.

Seattle went out of it's way to jump start Mike Williams (born in Tampa, Florida) career. After eating his way out of the league, it was Seattle that gave him an opportunity to resurrect his career after his 2 year absence from the league. It was, in fact, Pete Carroll that went out of his way to restart the career of his former USC Trojan. Williams had one good year in 2010 and was rewarded with a three year extension. William's game relapsed and went south the following year. He was finally cut on July 13, 2012. In 2013 Williams was last signed by the Toronto Argonauts. His stay lasted only 7 days.

P.S. There are multiple Mike Williams born in different places. The Mike Williams that Pete Carroll brought in was born in Tampa, FL and played at USC.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
WR's Davis & Zay Jones would be great picks but, IMO it's unlikely the Seahawks spend a 1-st or 2-nd round pick with priority needs at other positions. A couple of guys I like......

--WR-Taywan Taylor, W. Kentucky, 5-11/198. 32-3/8“ arms.
20016: #5 in FBS 98/1730, 17.65-ypc, 17-TD’s, Has consistent #'s for his career, Likely a 3-rd round pick, I see him as a direct replacement of Kearse at the get go.

--WR-Shelton Gibson, W. Virginia, 5-11/195; A + Kick Returner & 22-yds+ YPC guy. Also, he set the modern combine record for the long shuttle (10.71), beating out Brandon Cooks for that record. The 60 yard shuttle is indicative of being super shifty while running at top speed, which is a good thing for WR's & KR's. This guy is a sleeper WR candidate.
2016: 43/951, 22.12-ypc, 8-TD s + 29-KR/633, A 21.83-avg. Likely a Rd-5 pick as a -slot- WR & KR.

--Chesson, Reynolds, Gentry, the Kid from Grambling and a few others could also fit as later round WR picks and I'm sure they can add a couple WR's as UDFA's to add to the competition as well.

nash72

Reaction score
Jville":2cj98tw8 said:
nash72":2cj98tw8 said:
Hasselbeck":2cj98tw8 said:
nash72":2cj98tw8 said:

:177692: That is incorrect ........ as in false.

Seattle went out of it's way to jump start Mike Williams (born in Tampa, Florida) career. After eating his way out of the league, it was Seattle that gave him an opportunity to resurrect his career after his 2 year absence from the league. It was, in fact, Pete Carroll that went out of his way to restart the career of his former USC Trojan. Williams had one good year in 2010 and was rewarded with a three year extension. William's game relapsed and went south the following year. He was finally cut on July 13, 2012. In 2013 Williams was last signed by the Toronto Argonauts. His stay lasted only 7 days.

P.S. There are multiple Mike Williams born in different places. The Mike Williams that Pete Carroll brought in was born in Tampa, FL and played at USC.

What does Mike Williams have to do with Chris Matthews? Bates was the OC in 2010 anyways so its no wonder he failed shortly after. If this was a contest to see who could compete with Eddie Lacy in a pie eating contest then you might have something though.

Jville

Reaction score
Sorry :oops: the confusion lies with me.

Chris Matthews has done so little I some how linked him with Mike Williams.

Still, I think these big receivers are receiving plenty of opportunity. These players success and disappointments are all on them.

Perhaps someday soon Russell Wilson will come across the right sort of big receiver that he can hook up and excel with. Pete Carroll keeps looking at big receivers. There are certainly many already on the current roster including a couple at 6'-5" or taller.

nash72

Reaction score
Its all good. It was just weird that Matthews did so well in the SB and obviously had the height a team would like in a receiver, but he somehow couldn't be worked into the scheme. Keep searching I reckon.