Wide reciever help?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
nash72":1ib019lz said:
Hasselbeck":1ib019lz said:
nash72":1ib019lz said:
I'll never figure out why Matthews was ever let go, especially after his SB performance.

Probably because he wasn't any good after the Patriots took a 5-11 corner off him. He's done absolutely nothing in Baltimore and didn't do anything in Seattle after that first half.

He wasnt given the chance in Seattle to be honest. They rarely used him. You would think a competent OC would try to look for match ups where a large receiver could excel. Oh never mind. Now I know why he failed in Seattle.

Had nothing to do with Bevell. He just wasn't very good. Logan Ryan stinks and was giving up 6 inches of height to him. That's why Matthews had a killer first half.

Super Bowl XLIX stats: 4 rec, 109 yards, TD
Post Super Bowl XLIX stats: 13 rec, 151 yards, TD

By comparison .. C.J. Prosise had 17 receptions for 208 yards in 6 games.

nash72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2owhklij said:
nash72":2owhklij said:
Hasselbeck":2owhklij said:
nash72":2owhklij said:
I'll never figure out why Matthews was ever let go, especially after his SB performance.

Probably because he wasn't any good after the Patriots took a 5-11 corner off him. He's done absolutely nothing in Baltimore and didn't do anything in Seattle after that first half.

He wasnt given the chance in Seattle to be honest. They rarely used him. You would think a competent OC would try to look for match ups where a large receiver could excel. Oh never mind. Now I know why he failed in Seattle.

Had nothing to do with Bevell. He just wasn't very good. Logan Ryan stinks and was giving up 6 inches of height to him. That's why Matthews had a killer first half.

By comparison .. C.J. Prosise had 17 receptions for 208 yards in 6 games.

Yeah Ryan gave up some inches, but isn't that the main reason for wanting a tall receiver? To exploit those type of matchups? I don't think Prosise is a fair comparison either as he was catching passes out of the backfield.

Hey, you might be right about Matthews not being very good, but I just wonder if we gave him the best chance to succeed. That's all. Still would be nice to have that tall receiver though.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Probably because he wasn't any good after the Patriots took a 5-11 corner off him. He's done absolutely nothing in Baltimore and didn't do anything in Seattle after that first half.[/quote]

He wasnt given the chance in Seattle to be honest. They rarely used him. You would think a competent OC would try to look for match ups where a large receiver could excel. Oh never mind. Now I know why he failed in Seattle.[/quote]

By comparison .. C.J. Prosise had 17 receptions for 208 yards in 6 games.[/quote]

Yeah Ryan gave up some inches, but isn't that the main reason for wanting a tall receiver? To exploit those type of matchups? I don't think Prosise is a fair comparison either as he was catching passes out of the backfield.

Hey, you might be right about Matthews not being very good, but I just wonder if we gave him the best chance to succeed. That's all. Still would be nice to have that tall receiver though.[/quote]
---------------------------

If Ryan had six inches to give that's pretty darn impressive.

Hes but i tell everyone eight john barnes 39 18 82

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":2c2cij6r said:
MontanaHawk05":2c2cij6r said:
nash72":2c2cij6r said:
Hasselbeck":2c2cij6r said:

Did you even read what Hasselbeck wrote? Matthews has been on another team since then and still done nothing. That's evidence that he might just not be all that much. There's a hell of a lot more to being a receiver than just being big.

I never watch Baltimore and dont know how they use him. Is it Matthews, is it Flacco? I dont seem to remember anybody getting off last year for the Ravens, but again, I dont pay attention to them. I do know that a large receiver is a glaring chink in our armor and we had one that would have probably gotten the MVP in the SB if knucklehead would have called a running play. SB MVP's usually sign contracts, not get cut.

Malcolm Smith isn't that good, either. Unlike most NFL awards, the Super Bowl MVP award goes to someone for a single game performance, which means any flash in the pan can get it if he's lucky enough.

You seem awfully determined to prove a point that isn't even worth proving. I fully agree that we need a tall receiver. I don't think it needs to be Chris Matthews.

Megatron

Reaction score
.[/quote] He wasnt given the chance in Seattle to be honest. They rarely used him. You would think a competent OC would try to look for match ups where a large receiver could excel. Oh never mind. Now I know why he failed in Seattle.[/quote]

Did you even read what Hasselbeck wrote? Matthews has been on another team since then and still done nothing. That's evidence that he might just not be all that much. There's a hell of a lot more to being a receiver than just being big.[/quote]

I never watch Baltimore and dont know how they use him. Is it Matthews, is it Flacco? I dont seem to remember anybody getting off last year for the Ravens, but again, I dont pay attention to them. I do know that a large receiver is a glaring chink in our armor and we had one that would have probably gotten the MVP in the SB if knucklehead would have called a running play. SB MVP's usually sign contracts, not get cut.[/quote]

They didn't use him because he was on IR for Baltimore for all of 2016. That's why he has no stats for 2016.

SB MVP means nothing, remember Larry Brown, named SB MVP for Dallas and then signed a 5 year, 12.5 million dollar with 3.5 million guaranteed contract with Oakland. Did not do anything for them, played in 12 games, started one, and got 1 interception in two years before being cut.

We also traded a first round pick for Deion Branch another SB MVP, he never had a 1000 YD season before and after he was traded to Seattle and never had more than 6 TDs in a season in his career. Compare that to Randy Moss getting traded from the Raiders to the Patriots for a fourth round pick. The Seahawks basically wasted a first round pick for a mediocre receiver while the Patriots got a steal. We also traded Joey Galloway, a non SB MVP, who actually produced a three 1000 YD seasons and had two double digit TD seasons while he was here for to two first round picks from Dallas, that was a steal for the Seahawks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Take a look at Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Procise and Richardson. Five guys with tons of play making potential but only one matched expectations. What's the common factor here?

Player health is the largest factor for most position groups and it's been a big deal for us at the skill positions the last few seasons. Injuries set back players even when they can suit up on Sundays because being limited in practice curtails their ability to develop and perform at the highest level. It dictates that the staff will be using them cautiously and the disruption in continuity affects their teammates.

Whether or not we need receiver help should mostly depend on whether you think we can stay healthy this season. Personally, I am optimistic. Procise can provide a bit of what we get from Lockett and both Graham and Baldwin have been very durable over their careers.