Will Bevell effectively incorporate Graham

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mmwjt4g said:
other thn having Graham pass block, today was a good start for Bevell.

I especially loved the two fades, one to Graham, one to Mathews. They didn't work, but they were both the right call.

I thought Bevell called a good game too. He kept bubble screens to a minimum, and the first of his first two 4th down calls (Lynch at FB) was genuinely clever. Something about playing John Fox brings the best out of our coaching staff. Seattle badly outcoached the Bears in all three phases.

I don't know if you caught it, but after the game Pete mentioned that he was happy with how they used Graham in weeks 1 and 3, and was still sore about only getting Graham one catch in Green Bay. Pete isn't even trying to hide the fact that getting Graham 6+ catches a game is an organizational priority. You'll notice that he never emphasizes touches for any other player, save Lynch.

On that note, I think it's only a matter of time before Pete accepts the fact that he'll need to change the structure of Graham's role to hit that goal consistently.

And is it just me, or does it feel like Seattle has become a pass to set up the run team this season?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":s8uxkmgk said:
Scottemojo":s8uxkmgk said:

I especially loved the two fades, one to Graham, one to Mathews. They didn't work, but they were both the right call.

I thought Bevell called a good game too. He kept bubble screens to a minimum, and the first of his first two 4th down calls (Lynch at FB) was genuinely clever. Something about playing John Fox brings the best out of our coaching staff. Seattle badly outcoached the Bears in all three phases.

I don't know if you caught it, but after the game Pete mentioned that he was happy with how they used Graham in weeks 1 and 3, and was still sore about only getting Graham one catch in Green Bay. Pete isn't even trying to hide the fact that getting Graham 6+ catches a game is an organizational priority. You'll notice that he never emphasizes touches for any other player, save Lynch.

On that note, I think it's only a matter of time before Pete accepts the fact that he'll need to change the structure of Graham's role to hit that goal consistently.

And is it just me, or does it feel like Seattle has become a pass to set up the run team this season?
I dunno, maybe it is admitting they can't run block is short yardage.
Though I think Rawls might have converted a couple of those short yard plays. He lacks patience, which is an asset with the line right now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2lzgqgp8 said:
kearly":2lzgqgp8 said:
Scottemojo":2lzgqgp8 said:

Though I think Rawls might have converted a couple of those short yard plays. He lacks patience, which is an asset with the line right now.
If the Hawks aren't a pass to set up the run team now, I think they're going to be what with Marshawn's injuries and having Jimmy as a priority.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kearly":1s2o780x said:
Scottemojo":1s2o780x said:

I think Sims said it. Through the first quarter and a half Wilson got to throw six passes and completed 4 and we could not run the ball a lick. Of course we were trying to run the ball behind our run lock struggling center a lot. Sims said we just don't have the o line to have success run first. Once Bevel opened up the passing game a little Rawls was able to get rolling.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":20dllax1 said:
kearly":20dllax1 said:
Scottemojo":20dllax1 said:

Does this mean you're over Sweezy?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2cdhe36c said:
Scottemojo":2cdhe36c said:
kearly":2cdhe36c said:
Scottemojo":2cdhe36c said:

Does this mean you're over Sweezy?
Don't be silly.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kearly":r86pb27o said:
Scottemojo":r86pb27o said:

These are both good posts.

At least Bevell tried to involve Graham and Matthews strengths in goal line situations. The execution of both those passes revealed they need to practice those fade routes b/c they could become very effective. Maybe there is hope? My thinking was that RW looked a tad off in his ball placement yesterday, there were several plays that could have been huge plays had the ball been placed better or caught.

Agree on the need to structure the O more around the intermediate use of Graham or in using Graham in that short delayed jump pass that picked up a 1st down. That seemed however to be a RW improv move to me rather than anything planned by Bevell. As soon a s opposing Ds know they need to respect those short intermediate routes the run will flourish until the box is loaded again and then Graham may burn the D for failing to respect his role.

Pass to set up the run, run to set up the pass. Isn't this the idea behind adding Graham to the O, forcing teams to back off from the standard 8 in the box? In the game yesterday the Bears were sitting on the run early, more passes allowed the run to have a better chance after the LBs backed off to consider the threat of an intermediate pass.

Thought Bevell's GP was moribund early though.

hawker84

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1i8wygaw said:
As much as I get on Bevell, he did make some good adjustments in the 2nd half.

Seems like he always does, but why does it take him so long to make the adjustments? is it fair to say he's great at making in-game adjustments, but horrible at coming up with a game plan to start the game? I don't know, but the slow starts and lack of adjustments in the first half is very frustrating when I know as a fan, our offense is so much better than what they show in the first half......

I think the time to establish the pass to set up the run is now, and adjust accordingly to that. I don't know, just frustrated with the first half offensive production, or lack there of... We will not be beating the likes of Arizona playing like this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":2o1qj2kk said:
SoulfishHawk":2o1qj2kk said:
As much as I get on Bevell, he did make some good adjustments in the 2nd half.

Seems like he always does, but why does it take him so long to make the adjustments? is it fair to say he's great at making in-game adjustments, but horrible at coming up with a game plan to start the game? I don't know, but the slow starts and lack of adjustments in the first half is very frustrating when I know as a fan, our offense is so much better than what they show in the first half......

I think the time to establish the pass to set up the run is now, and adjust accordingly to that. I don't know, just frustrated with the first half offensive production, or lack there of... We will not be beating the likes of Arizona playing like this.

We passed 8 of our 9 offensive snaps to open the game........it's not Bevell's fault there was a bunch of sacks, penalties and drops that stalled first half drives.

Everyone's frustrated with the slow starts, but it seems like an execution thing more than Bevell to me. You could tell we were TRYING to get Russell and the passing game going in the first half.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, those 2 drops were brutal. LockettE had a sure first down, and it would be first and goal. Rawls just did that thing where you turn your head before catching it. Looks like he had a LOT of room in front of him. That looked like it could have been a 30+ yarder the way it was set up. He came back strong after that, good stuff there.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel like if/when the OL can finally gel the offense will look much better. Marshawn finally gets more than 1-2 yards a carry. perhaps RW can make a pass without having to run for his life after 2 seconds (because I've faced reality that he needs more time to pass), and of course Graham will also be used more often. It really seems like it's going to be and all or nothing type deal. The two halfs really is a good example, and I'm sure like everyone here just hoping that second half (or more importantly third quarter) of the Bears game shows up in all 4 quarters in the future games.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thing is if he can use Graham or others on short routes that pull coverage away from the box it will be easier to establish the run and vica versa.