Will Pete Carroll pull off the trade for Sam Darnold

Mizak

Reaction score
With the Panthers trading for Mayfield, that leaves Darnold possibly out of the starting QB job for Panthers. Will he look to be traded, specifically to the Seahawks. Pete Carroll has nothing but praise for Darnold with the following:

“I think he’s really talented, without question.”

Pete Carroll talking about Sam Darnold, December 2020

https://nypost.com/2020/12/12/pete-carroll-gushes-over-jets-sam-darnold-matter-of-time/

Pete Carroll holds “high opinion” of Sam Darnold, March 2021

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/seahawks-pete-carroll-holds-high-opinion-of-sam-darnold

Pete talks positively of Sam Darnold, February 2018:

5:37-7:10

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I frankly doubt PC/JS will trade for Darnold as the FO will likely wait to see if Darnold is now cut, unless the Panthers assume most of his salary and then things will likely be similar contract wise to what Cleveland got for Mayfield which wasn't much more than a conditional late draft pick.

Carolina is in the same situation with Darnold as Cleveland was with Mayfield having exercised his 5th year option resulting in them being on the hook for $18.585 mil guaranteed.

Rat

Reaction score
Pete learned his lesson from the Mark Sanchez incident, and isnt going to say anything negative in the media about prospects. I wouldnt read too much into these comments.

Sounds like the Panthers are planning on Baker and Darnold to compete in camp for the starting job. Whoever wins, it guarantees that a highly-paid top 3 pick from just four years ago will be sitting.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Pete learned his lesson from the Mark Sanchez incident, and isnt going to say anything negative in the media about prospects. I wouldnt read too much into these comments.

Sounds like the Panthers are planning on Baker and Darnold to compete in camp for the starting job. Whoever wins, it guarantees that a highly-paid top 3 pick from just four years ago will be sitting.
What did Pete said about Sanchez?

W

Welshers

We now need to put all our resources into getting Darnold. He has more upside then Lock. It's a bummer the Panthers outbid us for Baker but we still need a QB and Darnold hasn't really gotten a fair shake in this league.

toffee

Reaction score
We now need to put all our resources into getting Darnold. He has more upside then Lock. It's a bummer the Panthers outbid us for Baker but we still need a QB and Darnold hasn't really gotten a fair shake in this league.
Darnold didn't get a fair shake? how did you come to that conclusion?

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Please expound upon your theory that Darnold has more upside than Lock.

toffee

Reaction score
He played for the absolute dumpster fire that was Gase and the Jets and then got hurt last year
But Gase was billed as an offense guru and QB whisperer? He might be a lousy HC, but he did have a long and successful career as OC, QB coach, wtc.???

Scout

Reaction score
In fairness to Darnold that OL the Panthers had last year was bad. But with that said Darnold made a lot of bad decisions from the pocket and has bad feet.

Geno and Lock are more "composed" under pressure than Darnold.....

Honestly there are not many QBs that are composed under pressure that are current NFL starters. But Darnold's mechanics are bad even when not under pressure.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's pretty safe to say that Darnold won't be in Carolina after the preseason. They just drafted Matt Corral.

Someone will give up something for Darnold. He's still only 25 and very talented. And the Panthers have some cap room to eat part of that salary.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
In fairness to Darnold that OL the Panthers had last year was bad. But with that said Darnold made a lot of bad decisions from the pocket and has bad feet.

Geno and Lock are more "composed" under pressure than Darnold.....

Honestly there are not many QBs that are composed under pressure that are current NFL starters. But Darnold's mechanics are bad even when not under pressure.
I don't think so. Geno Smith and Lock are notoriously bad under pressure. I'd put Darnold at around their same level

Scout

Reaction score
I don't think so. Geno Smith and Lock are notoriously bad under pressure. I'd put Darnold at around their same level
They are around the same level when under pressure but Darnold tanked his stock with his play last year. I definitely would give Geno or Lock the edge over Darnold when playing in a clean pocket. Darnold simply played bad even with a clean pocket and what Rhule wanted was Darnold to just be a game manager. Darnold couldn't even do that and it reached a point where the team was going with old man Cam Newton....