Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartire

Reaction score
There was a long conversation on Sirius NFL with pat Kirwin talking about these toxic QB contracts.

A lot of people here are in the boat that if QB A gets so much, then QB B should/will get that much or more. It's ruining teams. Sooner or later, a team is just going to say no to it.

This year, 6 of the 12 playoff teams were with QB's on post 2011 contracts. It's becoming more apparent that the standard logic just doesn't cut it anymore.

No, I don't expect RW or his agent to ask for less then normal. But I also wouldn't be surprised if JS made RW play out his last year before the pay day.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Russell wants to win another Super Bowl. He knows this is a team game and Russell can do the math.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":o1arvbih said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.
Russ wants to own a team someday. That ain't happening on a small check.

@ the OP. Was it totally necessary to start this same topic in two different forums?

TXHawk

Reaction score
Wilson will ask for and receive fair market value. Schneider and Carroll will lock up 8 - 10 core players and will have to churn about 25% of the roster each year, which means they will need to continue to draft and develop well. It also means they have to be smart in choosing who they consider to be a core player worthy of a long-term deal and who to let walk. That's the way it is in the modern NFL and those who think the Seahawks will somehow be different are fooling themselves.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MVP53":3vlmx9of said:
Bigpumpkin":3vlmx9of said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Alot will be determined by Kaep's increase, as they are similar QBs

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If it helps the Niners in losing some of their key players, I hope he gets it. Dude chokes in the clutch, and I expect that to continue. They have a hell of a lot of good players on that team, hopefully his signing makes a few leave.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fqy5m0pr said:
MVP53":fqy5m0pr said:
Bigpumpkin":fqy5m0pr said:

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

This ain't baseball

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Uncle Si":j1ktnzl1 said:
MVP53":j1ktnzl1 said:
Bigpumpkin":j1ktnzl1 said:

Pretty sure they look at a lot more than their statistics

Subzero717

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dabwplx said:
MVP53":1dabwplx said:
Bigpumpkin":1dabwplx said:

No

No

No

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

I'm sure our FO will figure it out.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2qbhksmf said:
MVP53":2qbhksmf said:
Bigpumpkin":2qbhksmf said:

Those statistics are important to fantasy football owners and will have virtually nothing to do with determining Russell Wilson's value in the real world.

Quality QBs like Wilson have a lot of leverage because of how difficult they are to replace. He's going to ask for and receive fair market value which will most likely be in the $16 - 20 million range.

Brahn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2l6iwpwx said:
Uncle Si":2l6iwpwx said:
MVP53":2l6iwpwx said:
Bigpumpkin":2l6iwpwx said:

Tell that to Dilfer, guy won a SB with a team like ours and had to settle for the QB job in Seattle at a low cost. His numbers dictated his contract.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Brahn":3j5f3foe said:
-The Glove-":3j5f3foe said:
Uncle Si":3j5f3foe said:
MVP53":3j5f3foe said:
Bigpumpkin said:

Tell that to Dilfer, guy won a SB with a team like ours and had to settle for the QB job in Seattle at a low cost. His numbers dictated his contract.

Cmon man... It was Trent freakin Dilfer

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ux5qc82j said:
MVP53":ux5qc82j said:
Bigpumpkin":ux5qc82j said:

Not quite true Wilson finished in the top 7 in QB rating each of the last 2 years, that means something.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
So, the only stats that matters to you are yards per game?
Remember, Pete isn't asking Russell to throw as many times as Stafford. Russell's yard per attempt is actually pretty high. Look at Russell's TDs in first 2 years. Only Marino was better. So he is better than Brady, Brees in their first 2 years. Look at his QB Rating. One of the best in the league.
I actually have another question. Lots of people see Russell as a game manager (I do NOT). If Russell decides to take less money than Bradford or Stafford, does that signal to other people that Russell sees himself as a game manager?
Perception is not everything, but it matters ...
Uncle Si":u6qjdyt0 said:
MVP53":u6qjdyt0 said:
Bigpumpkin":u6qjdyt0 said:

Subzero717

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3rvw5utg said:
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

I'm sure our FO will figure it out.

And PA would loee the team.

razor150

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2t5bzhkf said:

You are assuming a lot that most likely isn't even close to true. There are a lot of players with great character like Wilson who aren't willing to give the discount you think Wilson will.

Just my opinion but neither Kaep or Wilson at this point in there careers are worth 18 million a season. Renegotiating a contract isn't about as of yet unrealized potential. There records as starting QBs are as much to do with the teams they inherited as there own ability. Kaep can't even claim to have elevated the team like Wilson since the 49ers were just as good with Alex Smith. On any any other team I doubt there would be talk about them getting 18 million a year since there win records wouldn't be inflated by the team they are surrounded by and likely no Super Bowl appearances.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald is probably the epitome of "class act" in the NFL and look how much he's making. If you think Wilson is going to take less than he's worth simply because he's a nice guy, you're going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.