Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":n97hhdwq said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

Dream on, Rw is going to get whatever the going rate is give or take 10% and rightfully so. By the way by the time Rw gets his new deal 18 Mil will seem low, considering there are 4-5 guys already over 20 mil, and the cap is supposed to go up to over 150 mil by then.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol now we're downplaying the best QB in the league because his of his yards? I'm done

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":1yf5569s said:
drdiags":1yf5569s said:
I don't see how Kaep or Wilson gets less than $18M, but we had that argument last week so I should go cut and paste my responses from that thread. Brady is getting $15M but the huge guaranteed money made it easier for him to take that deal, plus it being his 3rd (or 4th?) contract.

This is a second contract for both of these guys. Now is the time to get as much equity built up in case your health starts taking a beating (see Bulger for how quickly a rising QB can succumb to the rigors of the game).

I don't know, I think QB salaries might start declining at the top end, if teams decide that giving 1/5th of their salary to one guy is a disadvantage to their chances to win a SB. If SF decides to let Kaep walk rather than give him 18 mil, I don't see any other team giving him that much, meaning he'll have to take less from SF or someone else, which will mark the beginning of the decline of top end QB salaries. Elite QBs will still make huge money, but I have a feeling the era of 18-20 million per year is coming to an end. But that's just speculation. :p

yes and it is great speculation, but I doubt it comes to pass.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Penman96":18gzkzep said:
They will probably let him play for peanuts this year and franchise him next year, if they are still assessing he's a franchise QB.

Franchise is about $16 million this year, maybe a million higher next year but not $18.2 million.

After 2 seasons of that (averaging about $8.5 million annually) he will probably wish he signed a sensible $15 million / 5 year deal. especially if he regresses and ends up getting cut.

NFL QB's and their agents eh?

You are right about this year it is 16.1 mil, however next year is when all the 20+ mil contract will be counted and it will go up to about 19 mil. That said they are not going to play that game, sends a bad message to the team and any possible Fa, that we are not willing to even take care of our Franchise QB. Rw being a franchise Qb has already been established.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qhr9sbwz said:
MVP53":qhr9sbwz said:
Bigpumpkin":qhr9sbwz said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

yeah no, you r forgetting all the records, the BS, and a lot more, stats alone are not what makes up what they offer, remember Rw has proven he can through for 300+ a game and bring teams back and more. He is top 5 and top 10 in every category but yards and attempts, so he is a top QB.

Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Alot will be determined by Kaep's increase, as they are similar QBs

Anthony!

Reaction score
Brahn":2u78hgvw said:
Tell that to Dilfer, guy won a SB with a team like ours and had to settle for the QB job in Seattle at a low cost. His numbers dictated his contract.

remind me how many years in the league before that happened? Remind me the records he set or tied? I can go on, not apples to apples at all. Not to mention he was not the starter the whole year, and under Half what Rw did in yards. and way less than Rw is every other category. Difler was s true game manager, Rw is a play maker.

Trent Dilfer stats at Baltimore their SB year
Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2000 Baltimore Ravens 11 226 134 59.3 20.5 1,502 6.6 136.5 12 5.3 11 4.9 59T 18 6 23 135 76.6

Now lets look at RWs the SB year
Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2013 Seattle Seahawks 16 407 257 63.1 25.4 3,357 8.2 209.8 26 6.4 9 2.2 80T 49 10 44 272 101.2

Hmm you would have to be blind to not see how Rw makes Dilfer look really bad.

Dilfer is a career 70 qb rating and 55% completion %, Rw is career 100.6 qb rating and 63.6 completion %, and I Can go on.

Not even close

Anthony!

Reaction score
razor150":109dnj79 said:
Bigpumpkin":109dnj79 said:

You are assuming a lot that most likely isn't even close to true. There are a lot of players with great character like Wilson who aren't willing to give the discount you think Wilson will.

Just my opinion but neither Kaep or Wilson at this point in there careers are worth 18 million a season. Renegotiating a contract isn't about as of yet unrealized potential. There records as starting QBs are as much to do with the teams they inherited as there own ability. Kaep can't even claim to have elevated the team like Wilson since the 49ers were just as good with Alex Smith. On any any other team I doubt there would be talk about them getting 18 million a year since there win records wouldn't be inflated by the team they are surrounded by and likely no Super Bowl appearances.

OR Rw numbers would be even higher as he would get to throw more, and since out o-line was last in pass protection, he would have a better o-line. Which is what scares me most, in our offense he will never realize his true potential, that may cost us Rw as well.

dutchman063

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1p9bhvnv said:

You're set up for a big dissapointment if you think Wilson is going to roll over and take less than any other top tier superbowl winning quarterback

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":hv2054zd said:
Bigpumpkin":hv2054zd said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him.

Some folks are delusional. I don't look forward to them turning on RW in another year.

Shoot...there was a lot that did towards the end of the season

Anthony!

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1rsqztfj said:
Smelly McUgly":1rsqztfj said:
Bigpumpkin":1rsqztfj said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him.

Some folks are delusional. I don't look forward to them turning on RW in another year.

Shoot...there was a lot that did towards the end of the season

Yes there was, and there will be more when he signs as their are a lot of fair weather fans in Seattle.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Wilson is going to get $20m. He wants to own a pro sports team. How is he going to do that when he's giving us a discount for $12m?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Penman96":1ouugpjf said:
They will probably let him play for peanuts this year and franchise him next year, if they are still assessing he's a franchise QB.

Franchise is about $16 million this year, maybe a million higher next year but not $18.2 million.

After 2 seasons of that (averaging about $8.5 million annually) he will probably wish he signed a sensible $15 million / 5 year deal. especially if he regresses and ends up getting cut.

NFL QB's and their agents eh?

Not true. If you franchise tag a player for a second time that price tag gets bumped by about another 20%. Meaning if you tag RW at $16 mil one year it will be close to $20 mil the second year. And if you do it a third time the cost is another 44% above that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
-The Glove-":233f5nl6 said:
Uncle Si":233f5nl6 said:
MVP53":233f5nl6 said:
Bigpumpkin":233f5nl6 said:

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Pretty sure they look at a lot more than their statistics

Like they did with all of Cutler and Romo's "intangibles"?

The samples are there.

I'm not suggesting in the slightest RW doesnt deserve it (and am in no way comparing this to Dilfer). But you dont have to look far to see big QB contracts handed out to big numbered QBs who have failed to secure any championships (or in Romo's case even a playoff game).

just saying numbers will play a part. But I still see Kaep's contract being the benchmark for Griffin and Wilson

Cartire

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":22txk4g1 said:
Wilson is going to get $20m. He wants to own a pro sports team. How is he going to do that when he's giving us a discount for $12m?

He's not gonna do it with $20 either. If he wants to own a sports team, he'll have to start investments now. Which I'm sure he already has. His salary in football will only be a small percentage of his overall. His endorsements and long term investments will be his actual money maker.

He'll still gonna get at least $15 a year, maximum of $18.

I stick by my thought that JS will not give him an early extension and instead let him play out his final year of his rookie contract. The new CBA is changing everything and were just now getting to the years where everything is actually going to change. The idea of QB contracts following this unheard of inflation to always be the "highest paid" isn't going to remain.

Strap yourselves in. There is gonna be a lot of changes to the common practice in the next few years.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
RW is smart. RW dreams big. RW will get the biggest deal a QB has seen. Likely half of it won't even be in immediate monetary value. RW wants to own a franchise.

If RW and Chuck Norris squared off, Chuck Norris would back down. Not because Chuck Norris couldn't give RW an immediate beat down, but because RW has plans
for Chuck Norris waaay beyond the beat down.

RW is playing the long game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2bymxsim said:

Keep dreaming.

Wilson is going to want more than Kaep, Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, Cutler, and Romo.

And he deserves it. This is the market for QB's. Forget the fact we'll have been paying this guy the vet minimum for 3 years.

When his extension is announced it will include the most bonus money in NFL history.. until Luck gets his extension.

This is the NFL now.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":pitbxu2g said:
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

I'm sure our FO will figure it out.

Heck...
I love this idea. How about Paul Allen giving RW
18 million a year MS endorsement deal and give
Him 2 million a year Seahawks contract

MVP53

Reaction score
Uncle Si":141yco64 said:
MVP53":141yco64 said:
Bigpumpkin":141yco64 said:

Agents & GMs aren't the simpletons that play in our fantasy football leagues who only care about yards & TDs. I'd be surprised if total yards & TD passes get more than a brief glance when it comes to Wilson's contract negotiation.

But, if we want to go the stats route, let's look at the stats that matter...

QB Rating: 101.2 (6th among full time starters)
YPA: 8.25 (4th among full time starters)
Comp %: 63.1 (10th among full time starters)
TD/Int ratio: 2.9 (7th among full time starters)

That all in his second year in the league.

Can't even imagine what Wilson's actual value is to the franchise, but the NFL salary cap does not allow for players to actually be paid that figure.

If NFL QBs were actually paid based on yards & TDs, then Wilson would be well served to play out his rookie contract in Seattle, then get the heck out of dodge, and sign a one year "I can throw for 4,000 yards & 35 TDs" prove it deal somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts