Colin Kaepernick wants $18M-plus annually from 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Haha. I like how now Russell goes through bouts of inconsistent accuracy and decision making. Because he had a rough four game stretch. Against a bunch of good to great defenses.

Every QB misses receivers, throws inaccurate balls and makes poor decisions. The missing point from this ridiculous rant is that he does this just about as infrequently as anyone in the entire league.

That post is awful, but this is a Niners thread, so I am certainly not surprised

Popeyejones

Reaction score
There's no way your reading comprehension is as poor as you're pretending it to be, man. :)

Not gonna work, don't even bother. ;)

rigelian

Reaction score
ivotuk":2qy51dqm said:
Just my humble opinion, but Kaepernick deserves every penny, and in a year or two 18 million for a starting QB will be worth every penny.

Despite his turnovers in the NFCCG, he was within a hairs width of completing a TD to Michael Crabtree and getting to hoist the Lombardi. That takes a lot for a QB to make mistakes but then come back and drive his team down the field for an opportunity at a game winning touchdown. If Malcolm Smith isn't there and that ball falls to the ground, who's to say he doesn't throw a TD on the next play or two? And that was AT Centurylink! Not even Drew Brees came that close to winning there.

On this point I completely disagree. People think that pass was close to being completed and it was no where close to being completed. If the ball had been thrown a bit further Sherman would not have had to spin back to tip it and would have been in perfect position to catch it. Go look at the play again and project that the ball would have been further up the line toward the back of the endzone. Sherman would have been in positon.

About the only way that that pass could have been completed would have been if there was more arc on the ball...a ball that Kaepernick seemingly can't throw or if the ball had been thrown quite a bit more to the back shoulder, in which case Crabtree would have had to make a spectacular catch.

Now keep in mind if what Harbaugh said was correct, the decison to throw to Sherman's side was not a bad decision by Kaepernick...it was a decision basically made by the formation. IOW Kaepernick was doing precisely what he was told to do by his coaching staff.

As for Kaepernick being worth $20 million. I think Kaepernick has to show that he is capable of processing a defense quickly enough make good decisions. Unless he develops that capability in the next year---the 49ers are going to have to pay Kaepernick a lot of money before they can determine whether he has this critical ability.

In the case of Russell Wilson---I'm not sure if there is any ability that is in doubt.

rigelian

Reaction score
ivotuk":1fyjhkru said:
I disagree on that point. Kaep has much more potential, especially if they can get him to progress through his reads. Having said that, I doubt he ever will progress through his reads because if he can't do it by now, he probably never will.

But if he's in an offense like SF's and has a running game, the man is extremely dangerous. His running ability and "frozen ropes" down the field are downright scary. He's lit up defenses the past couple of years, and that's with a struggling Frank Gore.

If they get Lattimore on the field this year, look out!

What makes you think that Kaepernick will ever learn how to progress through his reads? A lot of QB's fail because they can never develop this ability ("Rick Mirer"). The other problem is that those frozen ropes seem paired with an inability to throw with touch.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The only reason Flacco got that ridiculous contract is the fact that his team got hot for 3 games and drew San Francisco in the Superbowl. Keapernick has a big problem going forward and he plays quarterback for the Seahawks. Just sayin'.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Mike 4G":yvf4ctzg said:
To me the biggest difference is that Kap needs better players to elevate his game. Wilson is the opposite. His game elevates the players and makes them better.

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that Wilson was never bailed out by good players on your team? Please! Yes Wilson is very good at scrambling and getting away but if it weren't for good players making plays down field by going up or to the balls he threw up he would either have had to take a sack or throw it away. I think it's just the opposite, I think your cast of players elevates Wilson's play.

I don't care how good a QB is, having play makers down the field is what makes the difference.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":j1107m20 said:
Mike 4G":j1107m20 said:
To me the biggest difference is that Kap needs better players to elevate his game. Wilson is the opposite. His game elevates the players and makes them better.

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that Wilson was never bailed out by good players on your team? Please! Yes Wilson is very good at scrambling and getting away but if it weren't for good players making plays down field by going up or to the balls he threw up he would either have had to take a sack or throw it away. I think it's just the opposite, I think your cast of players elevates Wilson's play.

I don't care how good a QB is, having play makers down the field is what makes the difference.

He was without his center, LT, RT for long periods of the same time. The starting guard shifted over to LT so 4 of the 5 starters were either hurt or out of position. The only starter was a converted DE at RG that we are developing. His #1 receiver barely played and Percy Harvin was unavailable most of the season. I would say Wilson elevated the play of our offense quite a bit. We still finished with a top 7 offense even dealing with all that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":360lz034 said:
Mike 4G":360lz034 said:

Okay, wasn't it interesting that he has the better OL, a comparable RB and defense and until the Superbowl better WR'S? Hmm...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Heh. Only when arguing for the infallibility of Russell Wilson does a single Hawks fan believe that the 9ers' defense is equivalent to the Hawks', that Gore is equivalent to Lynch, and that Rice/Tate/Kearse/Baldwin was equivalent to Boldin/Kyle Williams/Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin.

He is an absolutely wonderful young quarterback, that is undeniable, but you doth protest too much, Gal.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2q74z095 said:
lvnginhwktwn":2q74z095 said:
Mike 4G":2q74z095 said:

Okay, wasn't it interesting that he has the better OL, a comparable RB and defense and until the Superbowl better WR'S? Hmm...

Even Im confused by this and Im a Hawk fan that hates the Niners.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1redrxfw said:
Mike 4G":1redrxfw said:

Wilson extends plays and allows his receivers to get open. He bails them out by allowing them to get separation. Sure they help him as well, but it isn't like it is all on them. If our receives were considered so good they wouldn't have been drafted where they were. Kearse, Tate, Baldwin, Lockette, not really house hold names. Yet Wilson finds a way to make them open and play better. He didn't need to wait months for a particular player to come back so he could start playing better. Not to mention how bad out OL was this year.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":geehu0eq said:
Mike 4G":geehu0eq said:

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that Wilson was never bailed out by good players on your team? Please!

Also I would like you to show me where I said the above in the 3 lines I wrote...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
What's confusing the team's are fairly comparable each stronger and weaker in different areas. I never said San Francisco was better except in the OL.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Kaepernick should be looking at Henne's contract as a comp. Dudes crazy, ego for days.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think Kaepernick has shown enough in a season and a half to merit a long term deal at this point. He has potential and he is clearly a superb athlete, but if I was a GM there are too many red flags to hand him $18 million+ right now. Maybe he will continue to develop; maybe he will plateau where he is at right now. Better to risk paying him a bigger contract in a year or so when he has PROVEN he is worth it then be stuck paying him like a franchise quarterback when he has proven he isn't one.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":kafjxm3z said:
Kaepernick should be looking at Henne's contract as a comp. Dudes crazy, ego for days.

???? How can you seriously justify that statement????

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1pavslti said:
Heh. Only when arguing for the infallibility of Russell Wilson does a single Hawks fan believe that the 9ers' defense is equivalent to the Hawks', that Gore is equivalent to Lynch, and that Rice/Tate/Kearse/Baldwin was equivalent to Boldin/Kyle Williams/Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin.

He is an absolutely wonderful young quarterback, that is undeniable, but you doth protest too much, Gal.
You still don't get it! <to steal a line from your little buddy Marvin>

"Sigh".............

Yeah... Color us crazy...... Seattle Seahawks fans on a Seattle Seahawks message board liking our team that just won the Super Bowl. Oh the insanity of it all! :177692:

Let's review, Seattle beat the 49'ers 2 out of 3 times this year, and won the Super Bowl, so yeah, a majority of us think Seattle is the better team, and if that makes us homers for expressing that viewpoint on a Seattle Seahawks forum then so be it I guess!

As for the "thou protest too much" remark aimed at Mgal, don't you think that is more than a tad ironic coming from you?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I truly believe in the Bill Walsh formula.

In his formula, it takes 32 starts before you form your final opinion of his real talent level.

Counting playoffs, Kaepernick has 29. I think I have a pretty good idea of what he will be, but no way do I give him top 5 money after 29 starts. So, if I am Baalke, he plays year 4 and then franchise tag if needed. If there is cap space, we even talk deal mid season if things are looking good. But not now.

kearly

Reaction score
I think even at $18 million per, Kaepernick would have trade value, or at the very least you could find a team would take that contract off your hands with a waiver claim. He's not yet even a good QB, and yet look at how he punishes non-athletic defenses. He even rushed for 130 on Seattle's defense, by halftime. For all the talk about teams looking for the next Wilson, there are a lot of teams looking for the next Kaepernick too. In 2013 only one QB went 1st round- the guy who drew Kaep comparisons from everybody. Blake Bortles has a lot in common with Kaep, and he will probably go top 15, possibly #1.

If I was SF, I would look to deal Kaepernick to a team drafting high for their 1st rounder straight up, then use that pick on Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles* or sign a vet (McCown, Vick, etc) and grab a QB somewhere else. He's "worth" $18 million but is he helping the 49ers at that price? Not a ton.

*(I think Bortles is probably fools gold, but I think Harbaugh could make him look good).

Of course, none of this will happen, because SF is one 8-8 season away from a nuclear meltdown.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":6gd1hudz said:
I truly believe in the Bill Walsh formula.

In his formula, it takes 32 starts before you form your final opinion of his real talent level.

Counting playoffs, Kaepernick has 29. I think I have a pretty good idea of what he will be, but no way do I give him top 5 money after 29 starts. So, if I am Baalke, he plays year 4 and then franchise tag if needed. If there is cap space, we even talk deal mid season if things are looking good. But not now.
That probably is the safe way to play it. .....but IF you think the guy is the REAL DEAL, you risk alienating him by not signing a long term deal, and playing the yearly tag game might do more harm than good. It boils down to what you think you have in the player, and SF has to be honest in their assessment or it might come back and bite them in the ass if they are wrong either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts