Votes: 51 50.5%
  • No playoffs for you.

Votes: 50 49.5%

• Total voters

RichNhansom

Reaction score
BASF":i60q7z6x said:
HansGruber":i60q7z6x said:
They won't make the playoffs. This is the year that Arizona or St Louis finally get over the hump and knock them out.

SF's window has closed.

I did find a lot of humor in some of these posts though. Especially reading that Krapperdink is one of the best QBs in the NFL away from Seattle and is fairly error free (uhhhh, what? stats don't support that argument at all) and that Crabtree is above average. That's hilarious. He's hyped above average but has never played above average. In fact, in 5 full seasons, he has never caught a single TD against the Seahawks. He's a Lockette kind of guy, lots of potential that never became anything.

While the giraffe still has the same completion percentage when you eliminate the Seahawks games, his TD/INT skyrockets: 20 TD to 4 INT's. When playing the Seahawks: 1 TD to 4 INT's. Let's not pretend that the giraffe isn't a good QB simply because we own him.

As far as Crabtree his 2012 was well above average.

True but his numbers even outside of playing Seattle are also suspect. He throws under 200 yards in most games and his red zone and 3rd down rate are poor everywhere. The big difference with Seattle is we take away his running game and contain him (mostly) so he is forced to actually perform as a QB against us and when that happens he struggles mightily.

This really is the big question mark for him also. Will teams learn to do what Seattle seems to be able to do by containing him? Frank Gore is 31 years old to start this season, it is highly likely his production will not be what it was and with that if Hyde or Lattimer don't step up immediately their running game may stop itself leaving just containment as the big priority. Without that running game Kaep will be exposed IMO, even with the weapons he has. Add in a new inexperienced center to the mix also and that further complicates things for the Niners.

It's going to be real interesting to see how they do this year. They are taking a leap of faith in several areas like CB, saftey and at center.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
drdiags":20ixvlus said:
Minor correction. Spencer was drafted to eventually replace Tobeck. Darche was the LS. Who eventually got replaced by Stutz, Boone and a cast of dozens by Ruskell. And then there was my boy, the punter Plakenmeier (sp?). And extra kicker Coutu. Ruskell had a hell of a time getting STs in order.

Thankfully Schneider and Pete found Gresham.

Correct, my bad. Memory just isn't what it used to be and especially for names. If you don't believe me you can ask my who goes by what's her name.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The thing about KaeperSpaz is that he can still win with lower numbers. They aren't that great, but he will boost the rushing numbers on his own accord. He does throw to his first read most of the time, but the Niners only play the Hawks twice a year, so a lot of those throws are completed.

Others are going to figure it out, but they have to make those plays when CK forces those passes.

drdiags

Reaction score
RichNhansom":14ffv0g8 said:
Correct, my bad. Memory just isn't what it used to be and especially for names. If you don't believe me you can ask my who goes by what's her name.

Same here. I used to have very good recall, it was how I carved out my career. But the past few years I keep stopping to ask myself what was it I was just about to do. Stinks. :thirishdrinkers:

General Manager

Reaction score
Yes they will Kap is a very talented QB that is still getting better and they added Stevie Johnson . I don't think defensively they will be as dominant as they were but offensively they will probably be even better than last year.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
chris98251":1fnvxufi said:
Fudwamper":1fnvxufi said:
chris98251":1fnvxufi said:
As much as many way want them not to make the playoffs I don't see that happening, they have went the way of the redshirt also and have been developing depth and youth, they will not be going away anytime soon, a dip in performance maybe initially as the replacements get adjusted to real game speed and techniques, but the coaching staff is to good to let things slide much.

If Harbaugh leaves for any reason is when I see a drop in the 49ers ability to be a contender, not until.

Real question. How do we know the 49ers are deep? I have heard this many times, but nothing to prove it. The play their starters 90 to 80% of all plays. They do not rotate people. How does anyone know they are deep?

Know I may be wrong and their back ups play more than that but I remember reading somewhere this offseason and thinking wow they don't have any rotation.

Mostly the same way we look at our depth, they drafted some quality and stashed them, seasoned them and let them work against a very good group of players, I do not suffer Harbaugh a fool, he has proven he can put a team on the feild in the Pros and in college the same as our own coach.

I don't think this is true, we know our depth can play because they do play. SF depth really does not play. So we are going on the assumption that guys that never played are close to their starters in SF just because.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
General Manager":g5te1rrw said:
Yes they will Kap is a very talented QB that is still getting better and they added Stevie Johnson . I don't think defensively they will be as dominant as they were but offensively they will probably be even better than last year.

Maybe but I think it will depend on Hyde and Lattimere (SP) because Gore will very likely take a sharp decline. We already seen it towards the end of last year and he is now another year older at 31 to start the season and make no mistake, Gore is the catalyst for that offense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1lxv8vk1 said:
chris98251":1lxv8vk1 said:
Fudwamper":1lxv8vk1 said:
chris98251":1lxv8vk1 said:
As much as many way want them not to make the playoffs I don't see that happening, they have went the way of the redshirt also and have been developing depth and youth, they will not be going away anytime soon, a dip in performance maybe initially as the replacements get adjusted to real game speed and techniques, but the coaching staff is to good to let things slide much.

If Harbaugh leaves for any reason is when I see a drop in the 49ers ability to be a contender, not until.

Real question. How do we know the 49ers are deep? I have heard this many times, but nothing to prove it. The play their starters 90 to 80% of all plays. They do not rotate people. How does anyone know they are deep?

Know I may be wrong and their back ups play more than that but I remember reading somewhere this offseason and thinking wow they don't have any rotation.

Mostly the same way we look at our depth, they drafted some quality and stashed them, seasoned them and let them work against a very good group of players, I do not suffer Harbaugh a fool, he has proven he can put a team on the feild in the Pros and in college the same as our own coach.

I don't think this is true, we know our depth can play because they do play. SF depth really does not play. So we are going on the assumption that guys that never played are close to their starters in SF just because.

With a lot of advance notice you have time to focus on the positions, pre season and all practices, also the year hold over and the time to get a NFL body type etc. They will be a lot closer to ready then a mid season acquisition, they will be much more ready than a typical drafted rookie. I am not so over confident that our biggest threat isn't going to push harder to make up those 6 inches from the NFCCG.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
General Manager":1crqoavx said:

I think that is fine and all, but I didn't really think they were actually all that good at #24 in total offense. To say they might even be better isn't much of an expectation. The Hawks were only 6 spots up from that, but also better on defense. I do think the Niners will compensate offensively because they will be forced to, but I don't see Johnson making additional contributions as much as I see him making more out of the opportunities that would be for Crabs or Quan. In the case of the Hawks, one only has to realize that Harvin is one of the most talented and explosive offensive players in the league. The Rams, Cards, Panthers, Bears and the like can't surpass that.

The Niners will still be the quality team overall and any growth that Palmer or Bradford get in their respective systems will be countered by the growth of RW and CK as they have a much higher ceiling in their 3rd years as starters. This is why I do not think anything the Rams or Cards do will matter to SF/SEA. The Niners do have guys on the back end of their careers, but they won't noticeably drop in performance and they have some young guys on the roster that can grow like the Hawks will.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1aizms8z said:
General Manager":1aizms8z said:

Maybe but I think it will depend on Hyde and Lattimere (SP) because Gore will very likely take a sharp decline. We already seen it towards the end of last year and he is now another year older at 31 to start the season and make no mistake, Gore is the catalyst for that offense.

I have to think that Gore will see less carries, but I think he has another strong year in him. Hyde and Lattimore will get some opportunities. Lynch is younger, but I see him remaining very strong for at least one more year before really giving up carries to Michael or Turbin. Lynch is one of the few backs that can run on SF and that means a lot.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
They have a helluva team. It would be a huge shock if they didn't make the Playoffs. Can the Rams or Cards uproot them? That's a very tough question. All I can say is I think the Cards finish last after losing Washington and Dansby. Those are two huge blows for that defense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I still have hopes to see the NFC West send three teams to the playoffs one of these years.

Especially if the odd team out is the 49ers. :devil:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Because of making it to 3 straight NFC Championship games, it's understandable to assume they're going to continue to make the tournament. But, (apparent) strange things happen. To say that the Niners will automatically make the playoffs is also saying that certain improving teams have no chance... and I don't buy that. It's the NFL.

That NFC South is going to be tough. The Saints are a better team. (If I had to guess now, I would expect to see a Saints @ Seahawks NFC Championship.) I think Carolina (as long as Cam Newton is ok after that surgery) will be tougher. Heck, Tampa (don't laugh) could be a surprise team. The Falcons? Who knows. 2012 isn't that long ago. The NFC Central has some tough teams as well. I honestly think the Lions (with the new coach) have a good shot to break through and make the playoffs this year. They just tanked late last year after about having the division wrapped up. Chicago and Green Bay seem to be in the hunt in each of the recent years. I don't think any of the NFC east 2nd through 4th teams will finish higher in the Conference over the 49ers. But, you never know.

Only 2 non-division winners make the playoffs. So, it's certainly possible 2 of several other teams in the thick of the race knock them out. Not saying they're not good enough. But, sometimes good enough teams miss the playoffs. Everyone here is being very respectful to grant they are a contender for the playoffs. I don't mean to take anything away from that... only to point out that other NFC teams are going to try to have something to say about the playoff race. I expect it to be a tough battle and it's too early to say.

Weadoption

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3243tvcn said:
Weadoption":3243tvcn said:
I think one of the defining aspects of the Hawks season last year was the success of your backups filling in and playing like 1st rounders. Guys like Maxwell and Smith. O line too, that held together reasonably all year through the injuries.
I see the Niners depth getting tested considerably this year.
If Tank Carradine pans out, the pass rush could be filthy.
And it better be, cuz I think there is alot of wishful thinking going on with our DB's.
Cris Cook? come on now.

Goof post and I am curious which you think is more likely. Will Tank become elite or will Cowboy and Gore drop off production wise this year? You could put Bolding in that conversation also.

Also do you think Kilgore will be an adequate replacement for Goodwin? Or will the rookie beat out Kilgore?

I am extra curious about the center position because we went through a phase of putrid play from Chris Spencer a few years back. He was a guy Ruskell drafted in the 1st round to replace JP Darche. We obviously had high hopes for Spencer but he just never got it. He is now a back up Guard in Chicago.

Seems many take the center position for granted but it really is the QB of the O-line and a good one makes a huge difference just as much as a bad one or inexperienced one can hurt you.

Hard to say with Tank really, he hasnt really tested that knee yet and he is coming from a 4-3 system to playing a 3-4 end. Basically yet another "huge upside" guy but a totally yet unproven asset.
If Martin overtakes Kilgore at center, I would be shocked, just given the required knowledge base and technical aspects of that postion. Kilgore would really have to struggle badly or get injured for that to happen, and even then I would guess that the Niners/Kap would be more comfortable with Snyder snapping the ball than a rookie.
This really is a pivotal year for the Niners on so many fronts. Center, multiple db postions, d-line rotation players, backup LB's, and most of all.... QUARTERBACK.
It is year 3 for him, he just got paid, his receiving options are ridiculously good, his ball carriers are good to great, he has the O-line. He has a wealth of riches all around him really, but if he cant do a better job of dropping back, reading the D, and making the correct quick decision - then none of it will matter for diddly squat.

raisethe3

Reaction score
They will make the playoff, but more likely as a wild card team again.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't see any of the other divisions grabbing both WC spots. My scenario is Philly, NOLA, GB, SEA or SF and the remaining spot possibly Dallas or NYG.

There is a potential for Chicago to disrupt that entire picture and by doing so I mean taking out GB. But the way things are, I just can't see either SEA/SF missing the playoffs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":16e5vsym said:
I don't see any of the other divisions grabbing both WC spots. My scenario is Philly, NOLA, GB, SEA or SF and the remaining spot possibly Dallas or NYG.

There is a potential for Chicago to disrupt that entire picture and by doing so I mean taking out GB. But the way things are, I just can't see either SEA/SF missing the playoffs.
I was with you until you said Dallas, they are a 5 or 6 win team with the world worst most craptastic defense and they play our division this year. Romo and his bad back will be like Pey Pey, lucky to be upright after running the NFCW gauntlet.

Though I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Whiners missed the playoffs, that house of cards is ready to crumble as their foundation gets older and head coach is ready to implode any second.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vxvbqb5 said:
I was with you until you said Dallas, they are a 5 or 6 win team with the world worst most craptastic defense and they play our division this year. Romo and his bad back will be like Pey Pey, lucky to be upright after running the NFCW gauntlet.

Though I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Whiners missed the playoffs, that house of cards is ready to crumble as their foundation gets older and head coach is ready to implode any second.

I did say possibly. Dallas always has some kind of shot with Romobobble, Murray and Bryant. Craptastic defense yes, but they can score.

RedAlice

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3750c1ts said:

I can see an end where only one of SF/SEA makes the play-offs - mainly because the teams seem to forget it's not a two team division.

I don't think Dallas has a chance at all for a WC, it's more likely to be Detroit or Tampa. Not sure about NYG, need to look at them more.