Votes: 51 50.5%
  • No playoffs for you.

Votes: 50 49.5%

• Total voters

RedAlice

Reaction score
HansGruber":3l7umi4i said:
NYG are done. No defense. No quarterback. No run game. Over

I keep hearing squawking from both NYG and NYJ that they both suddenly have great D's. Is mystifying, but some of their fans believe it, or at least say it outloud.

From an Eagles' fan:
Eli Manning: New offense has 're-energized me' plans to one up himself and throw 28 INTs this season.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
HansGruber":3a7tkc6p said:
Man I think that the Giants defense did a fair job of holding their own considering the willingness of the QB to give the ball away.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3l4kl215 said:
HansGruber":3l4kl215 said:
Man I think that the Giants defense did a fair job of holding their own considering the willingness of the QB to give the ball away.
This. The Giants still have a pretty good defense. Not sure what Hans is smokin' in that regard. Football Outsiders had them ranked 6th in the league last year, and when you factor in the horrific offense always putting the defense back out on the field, that's really quite impressive. We sure didn't do much against them...

HansGruber

Reaction score
NYG were ranked 18th in the league for points allowed on defense. They were ranked 8th by yards allowed. I watched them primarily in the first half of the season when I had one of their players in my fantasy league and their defense was TERRIBLE. They gave up 30+ points every single game in the first half of the season. Not sure how you call that "pretty good", but meh... I don't care enough to take on that argument. I saw what I saw, and was not impressed.

Eli Manning did throw 27 INTs. Which is horrible. Just another reason that team ain't going anywhere anytime soon. With the Eagles on the upswing, I don't see NYG being a serious contender for a while, not until they get rid of Eli and Coughlin.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HansGruber":1yrmu1wa said:
They gave up 30+ points every single game in the first half of the season. Not sure how you call that "pretty good", but meh... I don't care enough to take on that argument. I saw what I saw, and was not impressed.
Not quoting factually wrong information would be a good start.

SEP 8 LOSS AT GIANTS 31 COWBOYS 36 GAME DAY
2 SEP 15 LOSS BRONCOS 41 GIANTS 23 GAME DAY
3 SEP 22 LOSS AT GIANTS 0 PANTHERS 38 GAME DAY
4 SEP 29 LOSS AT GIANTS 7 CHIEFS 31 GAME DAY
5 OCT 6 LOSS EAGLES 36 GIANTS 21 GAME DAY
6 OCT 10 LOSS AT GIANTS 21 BEARS 27 GAME DAY
7 OCT 21 WIN VIKINGS 7 GIANTS 23 GAME DAY
8 OCT 27 WIN AT GIANTS 15 EAGLES 7 GAME DAY
9 BYE
10 NOV 10 WIN RAIDERS 20 GIANTS 24 GAME DAY
11 NOV 17 WIN PACKERS 13 GIANTS 27 GAME DAY
12 NOV 24 LOSS COWBOYS 24 GIANTS 21 GAME DAY
13 DEC 1 WIN AT GIANTS 24 REDSKINS 17 GAME DAY
14 DEC 8 LOSS AT GIANTS 14 CHARGERS 37 GAME DAY
15 DEC 15 LOSS SEAHAWKS 23 GIANTS 0 GAME DAY
16 DEC 22 WIN AT GIANTS 23 LIONS 20 GAME DAY
17 DEC 29 WIN REDSKINS 6 GIANTS 20

What you said is true for the first five weeks, then they gave up 27, then 7, then 7 again but to the Eagles who actually had a decent offense. The Giants defense improved considerably over the course of the season, overall.

HansGruber

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2rdr6sh0 said:
HansGruber":2rdr6sh0 said:
They gave up 30+ points every single game in the first half of the season. Not sure how you call that "pretty good", but meh... I don't care enough to take on that argument. I saw what I saw, and was not impressed.
Not quoting factually wrong information would be a good start.

SEP 8 LOSS AT GIANTS 31 COWBOYS 36 GAME DAY
2 SEP 15 LOSS BRONCOS 41 GIANTS 23 GAME DAY
3 SEP 22 LOSS AT GIANTS 0 PANTHERS 38 GAME DAY
4 SEP 29 LOSS AT GIANTS 7 CHIEFS 31 GAME DAY
5 OCT 6 LOSS EAGLES 36 GIANTS 21 GAME DAY
6 OCT 10 LOSS AT GIANTS 21 BEARS 27 GAME DAY
7 OCT 21 WIN VIKINGS 7 GIANTS 23 GAME DAY
8 OCT 27 WIN AT GIANTS 15 EAGLES 7 GAME DAY
9 BYE
10 NOV 10 WIN RAIDERS 20 GIANTS 24 GAME DAY
11 NOV 17 WIN PACKERS 13 GIANTS 27 GAME DAY
12 NOV 24 LOSS COWBOYS 24 GIANTS 21 GAME DAY
13 DEC 1 WIN AT GIANTS 24 REDSKINS 17 GAME DAY
14 DEC 8 LOSS AT GIANTS 14 CHARGERS 37 GAME DAY
15 DEC 15 LOSS SEAHAWKS 23 GIANTS 0 GAME DAY
16 DEC 22 WIN AT GIANTS 23 LIONS 20 GAME DAY
17 DEC 29 WIN REDSKINS 6 GIANTS 20

What you said is true for the first five weeks, then they gave up 27, then 7, then 7 again but to the Eagles who actually had a decent offense. The Giants defense improved considerably over the course of the season, overall.

Textbook example of not seeing the forest for the trees. My statement was a general statement, not intended to be an actual statistical fact. I should have been more clear in saying, "Their defense got absolutely mercilessly pounded for MOST OF the first half of the season." Better?

Of course, it doesn't change the point. The NYG defense was crap when I watched them last season, really horrible crap. No pass rush, questionable secondary, and teams were just destroying them. Yes, Eli gave up a ton of picks (which was also part of my point) but that defense was truly bad on its own as well. Maybe they turned it around late, but I still wouldn't rank them as a "very good" defense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What kind of horse crap is this? You said, flat-out, with no room for any other interpretation that they gave up 30 points in every single game in the first half of the season.

You can't just admit you were wrong? Holy Christ, dude.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ciov51l said:
What kind of horse crap is this? You said, flat-out, with no room for any other interpretation that they gave up 30 points in every single game in the first half of the season.

You can't just admit you were wrong? Holy Christ, dude.

Have to side with Hans here Ro. If you had a statistical bet you would be right but your breakdown did more to prove Hans point than debunk it. That actual numbers are not the point.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
*rolls eyes*

Fine, then if the Giants defense sucked so bad, how the hell did we only get 23 points when we got FIVE interceptions?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I could have sworn that when I saw the statistical rankings at the end of 2013 for total defense that the Giants were like 7 or close to it. I was trying to capture some info when many were bagging on the very vanilla offense that the Hawks employed after the Saints game. It was like the Hawks finished the season playing top 7 defenses except for STL.

Brahn

Reaction score
Brahn":1srzmny0 said:
Niners are a top 2-5 team in the NFL. If they miss the playoffs it is time for front office changes.

I think this is as good as a no, if not better.

rlkats

Reaction score
Hahahaha holy crap no they wont. Lol the best question of the night .

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
rlkats":2an7sixq said:

Check the date on the OP. It was asked five months ago, LOL.

They probably have a less than 5% chance of making it as a wild card team. I will need to check on that.

The 49ers are officially eliminated from winning the division. Even if the 49ers win their next three and Arizona loses their next three, Seattle would need to win one over Arizona to bring them into a three way tie. And then the tie breaker would go to Seattle due to having the best winning percentage in games among the clubs.

NINEster

Reaction score
hawknation2014":fhrzsowe said:
rlkats":fhrzsowe said:

They probably have a less than 5% chance of making it as a wild card team. I will need to check on that.

The 49ers are officially eliminated from winning the division. Even if the 49ers win their next three and Arizona loses their next three, Seattle would need to win one over Arizona to bring them into a three way tie. And then the tie breaker would go to Seattle due to having the best winning percentage in games among the clubs.

Not that it's gonna happen at all, but I still think you have to count in TIES as a possible factor in division rankings with respect to mathematically eliminated. I know they never happen with any regularity, but still.

If SEA/AZ tie, I guess it gets interesting.

The Niners clinched the NFC West by half a game two years ago, and also in 1986. :mrgreen:

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NINEster":35cyfcnv said:
hawknation2014":35cyfcnv said:
rlkats":35cyfcnv said:

Not that it's gonna happen at all, but I still think you have to count in TIES as a possible factor in division rankings with respect to mathematically eliminated. I know they never happen with any regularity, but still.

The Niners clinched the NFC West by half a game two years ago, and also in 1986. :mrgreen:

If Arizona tied any of their three remaining games (instead of losing them) then they would still be ahead of the 49ers. 10-5-1 beats 10-6. Sorry, there's no hope remaining for you guys.

Covers2BRedux 4

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NINEster":17dchxs5 said:

Grasping-at-Straws.jpg