Will the Seahawks mis use there RBs this season ?

Chawker

Reaction score
Alot of new faces in our RB room, now when I say misuse, I mean not having a understanding of players capabilitys and not applying them effectively. Pass blocking, receiving and short yardage are some topics that come to mind. This is not saying K9 isn't going to be a great back in 2023, yet this is a inept rotational thing.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this subject.

Cheers

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'll only buy into the misuse theory if I see Nick Bellore anywhere near the backfield formation.

This RB room is now stacked full of really good backs, so the only problem Pete and Waldron have is finding series and spots to play all these guys to maximize their effectiveness.

WAY too early, but if had to guess, Walker gets about 70% of the snaps (20 carries), and the rest is split between Charbonnet, Dallas and hopefully McIntosh.

And IMO Walker better be careful because as good as he is, and he's REALLY good..........Charbonnet is actually a more complete back. Especially out of the backfield/catching. So should be good for our terrible screen game.

sutz

Reaction score
Depends on coaching, of course. One thing I'll be looking for vis a vis this season vs last, is will this help us really open up the playbook for Waldron? He's supposed to come from this really creative offensive coaching tree, I'd like to see a lot more creativity, and it seems to me that P & J have worked pretty hard to stock our team/RB room with a collection of guys who can deliver in multiple ways. Nice addition to the WR crew as well. ;)

Oh, and I kind of like the O-line situation, too. That looks better than it has in years, just looking at things like continuity and quality of players available. Hopefully we're past the "3 new starters every year" phase of team development.

Jville

Reaction score
I'll only buy into the misuse theory if I see Nick Bellore anywhere near the backfield formation.

This RB room is now stacked full of really good backs, so the only problem Pete and Waldron have is finding series and spots to play all these guys to maximize their effectiveness.

WAY too early, but if had to guess, Walker gets about 70% of the snaps (20 carries), and the rest is split between Charbonnet, Dallas and hopefully McIntosh.

And IMO Walker better be careful because as good as he is, and he's REALLY good..........Charbonnet is actually a more complete back. Especially out of the backfield/catching. So should be good for our terrible screen game.

With regard to screens,

Practice time has been freed up from the time reserved for Russell's improvisation segment. So there is now time to work on screens as well as focus on a precision passing game.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
With regard to screens,

Practice time has been freed up from the time reserved for Russell's improvisation segment. So there is now time to work on screens as well as focus on a precision passing game.
Staying with the subject of screens, I'm hoping that we start becoming more effective on WR screens. Seems like those assigned to block whiff way too often, resulting in either no gain or a loss of yards.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I believe Mcintosh will be the best pass blocker, but whos the best short yardage guy ?
Answering this and your OP, if they turn and hand it to K9 with Charbonnet watching from the sidelines I'm going to have an aneurysm.

I would hope it looks more like 65/35 K9 vs ZC, at least to start the season, then go from there. Occasional packages for Kenny and Deejay every now and then. But this should be K9s job with ZC providing valuable reps as spell and short yardage.

Jville

Reaction score
Staying with the subject of screens, I'm hoping that we start becoming more effective on WR screens. Seems like those assigned to block whiff way too often, resulting in either no gain or a loss of yards.

Tyler Lockett mentioned exactly that as a point of emphasis in his most recent press conference ...... available over at seashawks.com

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With regard to screens,

Screen game was really bad last year as well, so not sure the Russell excuse works.

It's probably the biggest concern of this version of the offense in a very long time. But it's not all on Pete, Geno and Waldron........you have to have the dynamic RB's for a good screen game. Lynch, Carson to a mediocre pass catcher in space like Walker isn't ideal.

So having both Charbonnet and McIntosh IMO should help the screen game improve dramatically.

chris98251

Reaction score
Also helps when your QB does not throw floaters and they have to stop and catch the ball setting themselves up to get pancaked or hear footsteps many times, the floater took so long to get there the defense could converge past the blockers.

Jville

Reaction score
Screen game was really bad last year as well, so not sure the Russell excuse works.

It's probably the biggest concern of this version of the offense in a very long time. But it's not all on Pete, Geno and Waldron........you have to have the dynamic RB's for a good screen game. Lynch, Carson to a mediocre pass catcher in space like Walker isn't ideal.

So having both Charbonnet and McIntosh IMO should help the screen game improve dramatically.

It wasn't offered as an excuse. I only pointed out that there have been changes to what the offense now practices and emphasizes. Those practice changes bode well for an improving screen game. Two second year tackles bold well for the screen game. The changes at right guard and center also bode well for the screen game.

Going from improvisation to a precise multifaceted attack offense takes some developmental patience. We're going to see an expanded and more reliable offense this year. It will be welcomed once it's recognition settles into the minds of fans.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Alot of new faces in our RB room, now when I say misuse, I mean not having a understanding of players capabilitys and not applying them effectively. Pass blocking, receiving and short yardage are some topics that come to mind. This is not saying K9 isn't going to be a great back in 2023, yet this is a inept rotational thing.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this subject.

Cheers

If they don't get Ken Walker enough touches then they will misuse. Charb's is a JAG in my opinion but I can see Pete loving his fall forward for 5 yards up the gut approach.

keasley45

Reaction score
If they don't get Ken Walker enough touches then they will misuse. Charb's is a JAG in my opinion but I can see Pete loving his fall forward for 5 yards up the gut approach.
Walker isn't a polished between the tackles runner. His tendency, like Penny, is to try to bounce runs outside unless the hole is obvious. Now with a better blocking interior, there may be more room for him to work, so we will see as the season onfolds.

As for Charbonet, there's been pretty high praise for his 'field' speed and the burst he showed in camp. And, he's big and has good hands. So the pair play well to what Pete and Shane want to do.

I'm personally excited to see a legit screen game implemented. The only guy who could be relied upon out of the backfield consistently was Homer. He had a knack for finding space and then getting Yac. Penny wasn't that guy. Walker hasnt shown the ability either, whether in pass pro or having the savy to get open in the wash of players on a screen play. So Charbonet might be the first one since Carson to be able to catch the ball effectively.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Charbonnet and Walker are easy. Walker is a big play waiting to happen but he's not a grind it out back who can get you first down after first down like Charbonnet. My guess is that Walker and Charbonnet will split carries for most of the game. Charbonnet will get most of the carries when the Hawks want to take time off the clock (i.e., fourth quarter with a lead). Charbonnet will also be the short yardage back.

The more interesting question is how the Seahawks will use Kenny McIntosh and DeeJay Dallas. McIntosh might be the third down RB if he's a better blocker than Charbonnet. If not, Charbonnet becomes the third down back. To be honest, I'm not sure what McIntosh and Dallas's roll will be, other than RB depth and special teams.