Wilson: $26m this year, 204 total yards.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
John63":3fs6bra0 said:
KiwiHawk":3fs6bra0 said:
John63":3fs6bra0 said:
The way you say it you make it sound like he cant do anything else, which we know he can. The reality is he can do almost anything any QB can do, The problem is PC wants to run and throw deep. This is less about what Wilson does best and more about what PC wants to do, and he has said it. When you have a QB rating over 100 for your career and completion % well over 60 you got to be able to do more than throw long. So don't be fooled this is not about what Wilson does best it is about what PC wants. Let me remind you in 2015 running a quicker hitting offense he set records.
I'm considering what Wilson is best at, and how to make that happen.

Where were you posting this short-passing-game stuff after last year's opener? When we used Wilson like you want, and he threw 33 times for 3 TDs and almost 300 yards (and was sacked 6 times and threw 2 interceptions, and we lost)? Or the following game, where Wilson threw 36 times for 226 yards with 2 TDs (and was sacked another 6 times and was picked again and we lost)?

LOL I am talking 2015 you know like the game where he went 23-32 and 249 and 5 tds, or 21 for 30 and 345 and 5 tds. and so on, You see you seem to think it is an either or. I am not saying either or, I am saying mix it in, that is what they did in 2015 when he went on a tear to the tune of 21 td in 4 game. Why did they do it, because they had no run game and the oline was bad. Now imagine if we mixed in more short passing in the last game. FYI we won both games I just talked about and alot more. I am not saying don't take shots I am saying mix it in more especially when the run game is not working and the oline can't give him the time for the long plays. Oh and FYI he also went 22 for 31 for 339 and 2 tds, and we won last year. They made the mistake in the first 2 games of going to pass heavy with an oline that could not well block and in a new system. You seem to be confusing lots of pass attempts means a short passing game, which is not the case. Also again I never said give up on the long game just mix it in more and b Ther eis nto reason we cannto have an NFL caliber passing game were you have levels of routes and the QB takes what is given adn needed. We dont always have to all or nothing. When we did do it this past game it worked.
Right, so just turn back the clock and get the players we had in 2015? Sounds easy. Where's your time machine? It was Baldwin catching a lot of those passes, wasn't it? Where's he on our roster?

Last season when we went pass-happy, we turned the ball over, had too many sacks, and lost football games. Then we went more run-centric, and we won 10 of the next 14 games, against tougher teams than the Broncos and Bears.

Also, this was Game 1 and Wilson didn't play much in the pre-season, nor did Lockett, nor did Metcalf. Let things work in a bit, let the OL get their feet, etc. before going pass-happy.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1b4b9wh7 said:
Shanegotyou11":1b4b9wh7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1b4b9wh7 said:
Shanegotyou11":1b4b9wh7 said:
Whenever the topic is about Russ, you cant have a real discussion about him. Its always one end of the spectrum. He is either Jesus to some or Satan to others. You cant ever have a civil conversation. Russ topics have become like religion and political conversations.

Not true at all, most of us here are realistic when it comes to evaluating Russell game to game and year to year.

The problem I see here is it's the same parrots starting the same threads year after year, and that engenders the same conversations over and over.

- Russell looks slow
- Russell holds the ball too long
- Why does it take Russell so long to get going
- Russell's contract will prevent us from winning another SB

blah blah blah.........so you want some unique and honestly objective conversations about Russell? Then stop talking about the same dead horse topics.

Ill disagree. The people who can have a civil conversation is in the minority. Its either all wilsons fault or not ever wilsons fault.

I guess you see what you want to see. I'm here pretty regularly, and most posts don't fall under the extremes you're talking about.

I think we've seen enough of Russell to break him down fairly easily. He's a top 5-7 NFL QB in his prime, which means he's good to great 80% of the time, and average to poor the other 20%.

The game to game analysis is what I like to discuss, not the same general criticisms or same general accolades. Not sure why people continue to dwell on that stuff, it's boring and worn out. But yet, here we are.

Im here too a lot and used to lurk way before and most ppl bicker about same stuff. And its always one side of spectrum. But carry on. Go hawks

John63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2fko7tlu said:
John63":2fko7tlu said:
KiwiHawk":2fko7tlu said:
John63":2fko7tlu said:
The way you say it you make it sound like he cant do anything else, which we know he can. The reality is he can do almost anything any QB can do, The problem is PC wants to run and throw deep. This is less about what Wilson does best and more about what PC wants to do, and he has said it. When you have a QB rating over 100 for your career and completion % well over 60 you got to be able to do more than throw long. So don't be fooled this is not about what Wilson does best it is about what PC wants. Let me remind you in 2015 running a quicker hitting offense he set records.

Where were you posting this short-passing-game stuff after last year's opener? When we used Wilson like you want, and he threw 33 times for 3 TDs and almost 300 yards (and was sacked 6 times and threw 2 interceptions, and we lost)? Or the following game, where Wilson threw 36 times for 226 yards with 2 TDs (and was sacked another 6 times and was picked again and we lost)?

LOL I am talking 2015 you know like the game where he went 23-32 and 249 and 5 tds, or 21 for 30 and 345 and 5 tds. and so on, You see you seem to think it is an either or. I am not saying either or, I am saying mix it in, that is what they did in 2015 when he went on a tear to the tune of 21 td in 4 game. Why did they do it, because they had no run game and the oline was bad. Now imagine if we mixed in more short passing in the last game. FYI we won both games I just talked about and alot more. I am not saying don't take shots I am saying mix it in more especially when the run game is not working and the oline can't give him the time for the long plays. Oh and FYI he also went 22 for 31 for 339 and 2 tds, and we won last year. They made the mistake in the first 2 games of going to pass heavy with an oline that could not well block and in a new system. You seem to be confusing lots of pass attempts means a short passing game, which is not the case. Also again I never said give up on the long game just mix it in more and b Ther eis nto reason we cannto have an NFL caliber passing game were you have levels of routes and the QB takes what is given adn needed. We dont always have to all or nothing. When we did do it this past game it worked.
Right, so just turn back the clock and get the players we had in 2015? Sounds easy. Where's your time machine? It was Baldwin catching a lot of those passes, wasn't it? Where's he on our roster?

Last season when we went pass-happy, we turned the ball over, had too many sacks, and lost football games. Then we went more run-centric, and we won 10 of the next 14 games, against tougher teams than the Broncos and Bears.

Also, this was Game 1 and Wilson didn't play much in the pre-season, nor did Lockett, nor did Metcalf. Let things work in a bit, let the OL get their feet, etc. before going pass-happy.

OR try running it now, and see if you can, the fact is at times they do, ie under 2 minutes and when they go uptempo, so they can do it now as well. And if you want to play the turn the clock back, we dont have the same players we had last year so just because you say it did not work then does not mean it cant work now, Also again I am not saying ignore the long ball I am saying mix the short passing in more. Bring those Safeties up forcing them with short passes and the go over the top. If they dont come up no problem move the ball 5-10 yards at a time. FYI We did not go pass happy in a league where people throw 50 times a game 33 attempts is not pass happy.

Again I am not saying going pass happy you seem to focus in on that. I am saying pass more than 25 times a game and throw in more short passes.

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":5e1eh2m2 said:
KiwiHawk":5e1eh2m2 said:
John63":5e1eh2m2 said:
KiwiHawk":5e1eh2m2 said:

OR try running it now, adn see if you can, the fat it at times they do, ie under 2 minutes and when they go uptempo, so they can do it now as well. And if you want to play the turn the clock back, we dont have the same players we had last year so just because you say it did not work then does not mean it cant work now, Also again I am not saying ignore the long ball I am saying mix the short passing in more. Bring those Safeties up forcing them with short passes and the go over the stop. If they dont come up no problem move the ball 5-10 yards at a time. FYI We did not go pass happy in a league were people throw 50 times a game 33 attempts is not pass happy.

Again I am not saying going pass happy you seem to focus in on that. I am saying pass more than 25 times a game and through in more short passes.
You're aware the more we throw, the lower Russ' efficiency gets. Literally. I think we've pretty well established that the strength of Russ' game is not short passing.

The more we run, the more dangerous Russ becomes, and the more we win. It's that simple.

rjdriver

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":rctfk3rk said:
rjdriver":rctfk3rk said:
SoulfishHawk":rctfk3rk said:
He's not lucky. He's one of the best QB's in football.

Agreed!

Which is exactly why the coaching staff should be burning the midnight oil trying to find more effective ways to use him, especially earlier in games.
What exactly is Wilson the best at? Throwing deep passes. How do you do that effectively? Run the ball until the safety moves into the box, and then throw over the top of the defense.

So what do we do? We run the ball early and often until the safety moves up and then we hit Lockett for money. Now we have DK for that as well.

And based on this way of using Wilson, who is the best QB in the NFL on deep throws? Wilson.

Guess we're using him correctly after all.

Seriously, have a look at the Lockett TD. The defense first bites on the play action pass, and when the safety sees it's not a run, he looks to Metcalf, who was doing the most damage. Lockett was wide open because we started by running, and because we were featuring Metcalf.

There is more to athleticism in the NFL - you need strategy as well.

Kiwi,

Please don’t blur my emotional after loss post with a cogent, well thought out, and factually accurate post.

That being said, I guess my issue is with your last sentence. I agree you need strategy, but it needs to be more fluid and less constant. I also think that RW is more than just a great deep passer, he’s top tier across the board.

Honest question .....The Dallas playoff loss? You think it was a great strategy to continue to pound the ball against a top tier run defense that stacked the box , all so we could have a deep throw or two ? Not being rhetorical, maybe we get our butts kicked that game instead of barely losing if we didn’t run all day for 2 yards, just didn’t feel that way to me.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":2at0lt1i said:
John63":2at0lt1i said:
KiwiHawk":2at0lt1i said:
John63":2at0lt1i said:

OR try running it now, adn see if you can, the fat it at times they do, ie under 2 minutes and when they go uptempo, so they can do it now as well. And if you want to play the turn the clock back, we dont have the same players we had last year so just because you say it did not work then does not mean it cant work now, Also again I am not saying ignore the long ball I am saying mix the short passing in more. Bring those Safeties up forcing them with short passes and the go over the stop. If they dont come up no problem move the ball 5-10 yards at a time. FYI We did not go pass happy in a league were people throw 50 times a game 33 attempts is not pass happy.

Again I am not saying going pass happy you seem to focus in on that. I am saying pass more than 25 times a game and through in more short passes.
You're aware the more we throw, the lower Russ' efficiency gets. Literally. I think we've pretty well established that the strength of Russ' game is not short passing.

The more we run, the more dangerous Russ becomes, and the more we win. It's that simple.

ahh no we have not, that is far from a hard fact. Example last year Wilson threw 31 times against Carolina 71% complt 128 QB rating. We threw more than we passed. I am not saying dont run, I am saying pass more and add in shorter passing. Agasint GB last year again 31 pass attempts, 68% complt, 110 Qb rating, The SF game we lost but Wilson threw 31 times, complt 74% of his passes and 117 Qb rating. KC 29 pass attempts, 62 Complt% 127 qb rating. We can throw more and be successful, we just need to do it smart.

Best example 2015 we had no run game at all. Wilson threw over 25 times 14 of 16 games, and he ended up with a 110 QB rating, 68 Complt%, 34 tds only 8 ints. Why we mixed in short passing.

So this is not about Wilson needing a run game or not being able to throw more, it is about PC allowing them to and allowing them to run an offense that lets them.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Responding to post 1 (didn't have the patience or desire to read all those posts):

So we're cycling back to the 'game manager' cliche? C'mon man!

McGruff

Reaction score
John63":2c43n1b6 said:
Tical21":2c43n1b6 said:
John63":2c43n1b6 said:
KiwiHawk":2c43n1b6 said:

ahh no we have not, that is far from a hard fact. Example last year Wilson threw 31 times against Carolina 71% complt 128 QB rating. We threw more than we passed. I am not saying dont run, I am saying pass more and add in shorter passing. Agasint GB last year again 31 pass attempts, 68% complt, 110 Qb rating, The SF game we lost but Wilson threw 31 times, complt 74% of his passes and 117 Qb rating. KC 29 pass attempts, 62 Complt% 127 qb rating. We can throw more and be successful, we just need to do it smart.

Best example 2015 we had no run game at all. Wilson threw over 25 times 14 of 16 games, and he ended up with a 110 QB rating, 68 Complt%, 34 tds only 8 ints. Why we mixed in short passing.

So this is not about Wilson needing a run game or not being able to throw more, it is about PC allowing them to and allowing them to run an offense that lets them.

Ugh. 2015 when Russ and Baldy were tearing the league a new one, so was Rawls. Rawls had a historic 5 games stretch that was as good as anyone in league history.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1171908866491211785[/tweet]

Here is another huge reason the Seahawks pay him.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
chris98251":29qam8za said:
Shanegotyou11":29qam8za said:
Whenever the topic is about Russ, you cant have a real discussion about him. Its always one end of the spectrum. He is either Jesus to some or Satan to others. You cant ever have a civil conversation. Russ topics have become like religion and political conversations.

Nah, never as bad as the Old Hasselbeck threads.

Close. Wait till russ is old. Lol

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":2xrbmsfs said:
John63":2xrbmsfs said:
Tical21":2xrbmsfs said:
John63":2xrbmsfs said:

Ugh. 2015 when Russ and Baldy were tearing the league a new one, so was Rawls. Rawls had a historic 5 games stretch that was as good as anyone in league history.

Nope that was 2016

Chapow

Reaction score
300 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int, 83% completion percentage, 10am win in Pittsburgh.

Is this good enough, or still nah? :D

quadsas

Reaction score
OP made a thread about trading for Melvin Gordon or any other receiver. Safe to say you should ignore his posts

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ht74w6ux said:
Chapow":ht74w6ux said:
300 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int, 83% completion percentage, 10am win in Pittsburgh.

Is this good enough, or still nah? :D
Good question. Awaiting a response from the OP...................

No he could complete 100 percent of his passes for 5 TD's and no INT's a game and a perfect QB rating and there would be the question asked, but can he do it week to week and be consistent and why isn't he getting a 100 yards rushing also.