Wilson: $26m this year, 204 total yards.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":1j0x74r5 said:
I think -1 total yards of offense after 3 possessions and 11 min to go in the second quarter tends to freak people out. We battled and came back. First games have a tendency to be really weird. Let's hope that's what it was.
Sadly it won’t be. Pete, as a lot of us have stated has zero problems pissing away first and or second quarters of games.
I used to love defensive minded coaches, but when they sacrifice their offense for quarters at a time it’s getting real hard to watch, as it’s boring half assed football IMHO.

I love Pete, but the league has adjusted to his stubborn ways.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
John63":424e1m4n said:
sutz":424e1m4n said:
Smellyman":424e1m4n said:
John63":424e1m4n said:
Whats funny to me is the guy had a 134 QB rating and 70% completion and people are complaining, and he did it behind what based on the play of the first game was the worse oline in the league, and with no run game and his top WR was a Rookie, in a system not built around him I think we should stop complaining about fictitious stuff and appreciate what we have. A QB that is the ultimate eraser of mistakes adn as clutch as there is. There are maybe only 1 or 2 QBs in the league that could succeed on this team, in this system.

And once again It's funny to me that the entire point of the OP is going right over people's heads.
I don't think so. The OP's point seems to be that we overpayed for our QB (I know, I know, it said we're underutilizing him based on his paycheck-potayto, potahto) based largely on fantasy football statistical analysis. Most of the thread is a discussion about just why they "overpayed" him and how many people seem to think they didn't.

Wilson "produces" wins, even when stats don't necessarily go his way.

I am guessing he would prefer we loose, but he throws for over 500 it helps his fantasy team. Fantasy Football has made it newear impossbile to have a good conversation about Football.

With bad hot takes like that I’m guessing you post on a lot of political boards. I’d prefer we win. Guess what? We can throw for 509 AND win. I have never done fantasy football before. So, on this post you are completely wrong on every point. LOL

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
John63":1its8z8k said:
sutz":1its8z8k said:
Smellyman":1its8z8k said:
John63":1its8z8k said:
Whats funny to me is the guy had a 134 QB rating and 70% completion and people are complaining, and he did it behind what based on the play of the first game was the worse oline in the league, and with no run game and his top WR was a Rookie, in a system not built around him I think we should stop complaining about fictitious stuff and appreciate what we have. A QB that is the ultimate eraser of mistakes adn as clutch as there is. There are maybe only 1 or 2 QBs in the league that could succeed on this team, in this system.

And once again It's funny to me that the entire point of the OP is going right over people's heads.
I don't think so. The OP's point seems to be that we overpayed for our QB (I know, I know, it said we're underutilizing him based on his paycheck-potayto, potahto) based largely on fantasy football statistical analysis. Most of the thread is a discussion about just why they "overpayed" him and how many people seem to think they didn't.

I am guessing he would prefer we loose, but he throws for over 500 it helps his fantasy team. Fantasy Football has made it newear impossbile to have a good conversation about Football.
Exactly, that and Madden.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3c5l96rh said:
John63":3c5l96rh said:
Mad Dog":3c5l96rh said:
Any QB that can win games behind the crappiest pass blocking in the league is worth 26 million.

This is the kind of blocking that ruined David Carr.

Wilson has never had a pas blocking oline ranked higher than 22nd and has had the worse ranked 2 times and has avg 26th over his time here. Yet he has the 2nd best QB rating in league history, with one more td will be amongst top 5 in fastest to 200 tds. Also the only player in NFL history to account for over 80% of total yards and over 95% of total tds in a season. These and other facts are why he is top 5.

Someone gets it!!!

I've been bitching about this since 2014!! :pukeface:

I hoped Solari would bring this back to average, but not yet. Pete has to have something largely to do with this at this point given the time he's had to fix this ridiculous support of his QB.

I even went so far as to suggest that Wilson's agent should advise him to leave if he knows what is best for the player.

dilly-1_767x767_crop_center.jpg

SEYMOUR. Nice pic!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rjdriver":upjhmj8z said:
SoulfishHawk":upjhmj8z said:
He's not lucky. He's one of the best QB's in football.

Agreed!

Which is exactly why the coaching staff should be burning the midnight oil trying to find more effective ways to use him, especially earlier in games.
This!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
rjdriver":1axrq82e said:
SoulfishHawk":1axrq82e said:

Agreed!

Which is exactly why the coaching staff should be burning the midnight oil trying to find more effective ways to use him, especially earlier in games.
What exactly is Wilson the best at? Throwing deep passes. How do you do that effectively? Run the ball until the safety moves into the box, and then throw over the top of the defense.

So what do we do? We run the ball early and often until the safety moves up and then we hit Lockett for money. Now we have DK for that as well.

And based on this way of using Wilson, who is the best QB in the NFL on deep throws? Wilson.

Guess we're using him correctly after all.

Seriously, have a look at the Lockett TD. The defense first bites on the play action pass, and when the safety sees it's not a run, he looks to Metcalf, who was doing the most damage. Lockett was wide open because we started by running, and because we were featuring Metcalf.

There is more to athleticism in the NFL - you need strategy as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
nwHawk":ool7pomp said:
Seymour":ool7pomp said:
John63":ool7pomp said:
Mad Dog":ool7pomp said:
Any QB that can win games behind the crappiest pass blocking in the league is worth 26 million.

This is the kind of blocking that ruined David Carr.

Wilson has never had a pas blocking oline ranked higher than 22nd and has had the worse ranked 2 times and has avg 26th over his time here. Yet he has the 2nd best QB rating in league history, with one more td will be amongst top 5 in fastest to 200 tds. Also the only player in NFL history to account for over 80% of total yards and over 95% of total tds in a season. These and other facts are why he is top 5.

Someone gets it!!!

I've been bitching about this since 2014!! :pukeface:

I hoped Solari would bring this back to average, but not yet. Pete has to have something largely to do with this at this point given the time he's had to fix this ridiculous support of his QB.

I even went so far as to suggest that Wilson's agent should advise him to leave if he knows what is best for the player.

SEYMOUR. Nice pic!

Well if we are going to keep pounding into "stacked boxes", I thought it best to make it worth while! :twisted:

John63

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ky23ebn said:
John63":3ky23ebn said:
sutz":3ky23ebn said:
Smellyman":3ky23ebn said:

With bad hot takes like that I’m guessing you post on a lot of political boards. I’d prefer we win. Guess what? We can throw for 509 AND win. I have never done fantasy football before. So, on this post you are completely wrong on every point. LOL

If you prefer we win stop complaining when we do. As to the rest, good for you that you supposedly don't play fantasy football, that does not change the point that it has impacted our ability to have a football discussion. so I am far from completely wrong. People on this very board have admitted that fantasy football impacts their conversation. So sorry

John63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3fbvjh3n said:
rjdriver":3fbvjh3n said:
SoulfishHawk":3fbvjh3n said:

Agreed!

What exactly is Wilson the best at? Throwing deep passes. How do you do that effectively? Run the ball until the safety moves into the box, and then throw over the top of the defense.

So what do we do? We run the ball early and often until the safety moves up and then we hit Lockett for money. Now we have DK for that as well.

And based on this way of using Wilson, who is the best QB in the NFL on deep throws? Wilson.

Guess we're using him correctly after all.

Seriously, have a look at the Lockett TD. The defense first bites on the play action pass, and when the safety sees it's not a run, he looks to Metcalf, who was doing the most damage. Lockett was wide open because we started by running, and because we were featuring Metcalf.

There is more to athleticism in the NFL - you need strategy as well.

The way you say it you make it sound like he cant do anything else, which we know he can. The reality is he can do almost anything any QB can do, The problem is PC wants to run and throw deep. This is less about what Wilson does best and more about what PC wants to do, and he has said it. When you have a QB rating over 100 for your career and completion % well over 60 you got to be able to do more than throw long. So don't be fooled this is not about what Wilson does best it is about what PC wants. Let me remind you in 2015 running a quicker hitting offense he set records.

chris98251

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3r84gbt0 said:
Whenever the topic is about Russ, you cant have a real discussion about him. Its always one end of the spectrum. He is either Jesus to some or Satan to others. You cant ever have a civil conversation. Russ topics have become like religion and political conversations.

Nah, never as bad as the Old Hasselbeck threads.

Smellyman

Reaction score
No, the point is USE WILSON. I don't care about stats. But use the tools given to you. He is the most dynamic QB I have seen play. Inside the pocket, outside the pocket, running, broken plays, deep passer...

If running works one week than maul them. If it doesn't work the next week wreck them with Wilson. Or do both. Pete even said we 'we were arrogant' and kept trying to pound it at them. Sometimes be smart and not arrogant.

You can actually win games in the first half.

Can't believe this is so hard to understand.

John63

Reaction score
Smellyman":2lc9vt61 said:
No, the point is USE WILSON. I don't care about stats. But use the tools given to you. He is the most dynamic QB I have seen play. Inside the pocket, outside the pocket, running, broken plays, deep passer...

If running works one week than maul them. If it doesn't work the next week wreck them with Wilson. Or do both. Pete even said we 'we were arrogant' and kept trying to pound it at them. Sometimes be smart and not arrogant.

I agree, believe me I am not a proponent of this style of offense. But let's be clear the issue, if you want to call it an issue, is PCs not Wilson's. YOu could see in the game there were a few times he was not happy with the calls.

Smellyman

Reaction score
John63":15dtp5ei said:
Smellyman":15dtp5ei said:

I agree, believe me I am not a proponent of this style of offense. But let's be clear the issue, if you want to call it an issue, is PCs not Wilson's. YOu could see in the game there were a few times he was not happy with the calls.

Of course it's Pete.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Jville":3mg3mu1o said:
Scorpion05":3mg3mu1o said:
Some of you are way too obsessed with stats. It's kind of pitiful. I'll take Russ' 200 over Dalton's empty 400 any day

Speaking of which ............. [tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1170869007206862849[/tweet] ....... lets see them stat lovers spin that.

I am not a stat lover, but I do know in the Pit and Houston games, RW was unleashed and kept the Hawks in that game and is the reason for the win. Not sure about the others.

I heard Mike Salk parroting this all morning. Stats in a vacum don't mean much

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Throwdown":1n5fsfog said:
Original post is trash

I’d bet about anything that you didn’t even read the original post. Prove me wrong. Didn’t think so LOL

John63

Reaction score
Smellyman":1n6jnf5j said:
Jville":1n6jnf5j said:
Scorpion05":1n6jnf5j said:
Some of you are way too obsessed with stats. It's kind of pitiful. I'll take Russ' 200 over Dalton's empty 400 any day

Speaking of which ............. [tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1170869007206862849[/tweet] ....... lets see them stat lovers spin that.

I am not a stat lover, but I do know in the Pit and Houston games, RW was unleashed and kept the Hawks in that game and is the reason for the win. Not sure about the others.

I heard Mike Salk parroting this all morning. Stats in a vacum don't mean much

And that is why he is worth the money he is paid, he can thrive given limited attempts or when he gets to let it go. He has shown time and time again he an excel in any system, and most importantly win when it counts most. Remember 2015 we were running the same run first system. Lynch gets hurt we can't run they move to a quick hitting pass first and he excels. Wilson gives PC the ultimate Weapon. I only wish he would let him loose sooner.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
John63":2ltxeokq said:
The way you say it you make it sound like he cant do anything else, which we know he can. The reality is he can do almost anything any QB can do, The problem is PC wants to run and throw deep. This is less about what Wilson does best and more about what PC wants to do, and he has said it. When you have a QB rating over 100 for your career and completion % well over 60 you got to be able to do more than throw long. So don't be fooled this is not about what Wilson does best it is about what PC wants. Let me remind you in 2015 running a quicker hitting offense he set records.
I'm considering what Wilson is best at, and how to make that happen.

Where were you posting this short-passing-game stuff after last year's opener? When we used Wilson like you want, and he threw 33 times for 3 TDs and almost 300 yards (and was sacked 6 times and threw 2 interceptions, and we lost)? Or the following game, where Wilson threw 36 times for 226 yards with 2 TDs (and was sacked another 6 times and was picked again - his first pick-6 in over 2000 attempts - and lost a fumble, and we lost)?

John63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1k80k6kx said:
John63":1k80k6kx said:
I'm considering what Wilson is best at, and how to make that happen.

Where were you posting this short-passing-game stuff after last year's opener? When we used Wilson like you want, and he threw 33 times for 3 TDs and almost 300 yards (and was sacked 6 times and threw 2 interceptions, and we lost)? Or the following game, where Wilson threw 36 times for 226 yards with 2 TDs (and was sacked another 6 times and was picked again and we lost)?

LOL I am talking 2015 you know like the game where he went 23-32 and 249 and 5 tds, or 21 for 30 and 345 and 5 tds. and so on, You see you seem to think it is an either or. I am not saying either or, I am saying mix it in, that is what they did in 2015 when he went on a tear to the tune of 21 td in 4 game. Why did they do it, because they had no run game and the oline was bad. Now imagine if we mixed in more short passing in the last game. FYI we won both games I just talked about and alot more. I am not saying don't take shots I am saying mix it in more especially when the run game is not working and the oline can't give him the time for the long plays. Oh and FYI he also went 22 for 31 for 339 and 2 tds, and we won last year. They made the mistake in the first 2 games of going to pass heavy with an oline that could not well block and in a new system. You seem to be confusing lots of pass attempts means a short passing game, which is not the case. Also again I never said give up on the long game just mix it in more and b Ther eis nto reason we cannto have an NFL caliber passing game were you have levels of routes and the QB takes what is given adn needed. We dont always have to all or nothing. When we did do it this past game it worked.