Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":50isidme said:
This deal was a mistake.

How exactly you expect Russ to forget how to play because short of that an extension was the best move Seattle had. Now they can build there team and plan out how to do it with a top 5 QB instead of a question mark and franchising him twice was a huge hit to the salary cap as well.

erik2690

Reaction score
For any fans stressing the 35 mil per number, the Seahawks view this as a 5 year 157 mil deal, 31.4 per year. I t becomes quite a bit less crazy when you look at it in the way it probably should be logically viewed. I think much like the last contract it jumps out as a big number and by the end of year 1 of 4 it will look completely reasonable if not sooner. SEA can claim victory on keeping their guarantee and contract structure and Wilson gets highest paid and the safety of a long term deal. As far as cap maneuverability this is certainly preferable for the team over 2 franchise tags. Nice to have your best players on the cheap but that was never really an option here. Overall I think pretty fair on both sides.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
erik2690":2h98t1uc said:
For any fans stressing the 35 mil per number, the Seahawks view this as a 5 year 157 mil deal, 31.4 per year. I t becomes quite a bit less crazy when you look at it in the way it probably should be logically viewed. I think much like the last contract it jumps out as a big number and by the end of year 1 of 4 it will look completely reasonable if not sooner. SEA can claim victory on keeping their guarantee and contract structure and Wilson gets highest paid and the safety of a long term deal. As far as cap maneuverability this is certainly preferable for the team over 2 franchise tags. Nice to have your best players on the cheap but that was never really an option here. Overall I think pretty fair on both sides.

Some people had him getting 38-40 mil a year obviously that was an overvalue of the current market for Russ. Also it's fairly obvious now that Wilson did not want to change teams and the NY talk was just negotiating tactics.

erik2690

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1pj15nnp said:
erik2690":1pj15nnp said:

Some people had him getting 38-40 mil a year obviously that was an overvalue of the current market for Russ. Also it's fairly obvious now that Wilson did not want to change teams and the NY talk was just negotiating tactics.

Particularly made clear by adding in a no-trade clause. I think most everything we heard was posturing and spin.

uncle fester

Reaction score
It’s actually a pretty decent deal - rather than the team-strangling one his agent was clearly after.

Mark Rodgers’ claim that Russ didn’t want to leave Seattle is basically an admission that Rodgers ultimately capitulated to his client’s wishes and backed down from whatever figure he had targeted. I get that agents try and get the most they can for each client, but Rodgers has no other stake in the NFL and would care less that he could potentially cripple a team.

Also, for those who worry about numbers, do remember that in recent years the ‘highest paid player in the history of the league’ title has been owned by such luminaries as Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo and Matt Stafford. The salary cap grows and this contract will soon be eclipsed and softened.

getnasty

Reaction score
In 2 years 31 million per yer will be chump change when were talking quarterbacks.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2puswd2f said:
This deal was a mistake.

Oh yeah? You want to go back to Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn I’m guessing....

Steve2222

Reaction score
It really shouldn’t be a controversial opinion anymore but Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL. What other QB continues to produce at such a high rate with so little talent around him? Both with coaching and playmakers?

Broken Aaron Rodgers at this point is not better than Wilson

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do playing in a dome with Alvin Kumara, Mark Ingram, and Michael Thomas

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do playing in dome with Julio and Devonta Freeman

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do in a Sean McVay offense

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do in a Josh McDaniels offense

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do with Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, and Tyreke Hill offense with Andy Reid calling plays.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3jd3mdur said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1118057570172715008[/tweet]

Great, what happened to no time to sleep? He's getting lazy already.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Within the next two years Russell won't even be in the Top 5 of QB contracts. Patrick Mahomes, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Deshaun Watson are all candidates to surpass his deal with three of them being locks in my opinion.

We get Russell through his prime and we have a franchise QB to bridge the end of the Carroll era and whoever we hire next. The one sticking point is the no trade clause (which probably rules out us taking a QB in the next two/three years) but it's not a huge deal.

This was the right move. This idea that not paying Russell will allow us to pay a defense is a little over-hyped in my eyes. The math just doesn't work. If Pete needs All-Pros at every position to have a good defense, then his system had a shelf life because you can never pay everyone and you can't keep replenishing a defense with All-Pros every year. It's never been done and won't ever be done. And even if Carroll was the golden goose of defensive stars, how much longer is he going to coach?

Carroll isn't the future of this franchise. Russell is. I know not everyone wants to hear that, but it's true. And having Russell here after Pete will make that transition easier.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3apwjvuo said:
Within the next two years Russell won't even be in the Top 5 of QB contracts. Patrick Mahomes, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Deshaun Watson are all candidates to surpass his deal with three of them being locks in my opinion.

We get Russell through his prime and we have a franchise QB to bridge the end of the Carroll era and whoever we hire next. The one sticking point is the no trade clause (which probably rules out us taking a QB in the next two/three years) but it's not a huge deal.

This was the right move. This idea that not paying Russell will allow us to pay a defense is a little over-hyped in my eyes. The math just doesn't work. If Pete needs All-Pros at every position to have a good defense, then his system had a shelf life because you can never pay everyone and you can't keep replenishing a defense with All-Pros every year. It's never been done and won't ever be done. And even if Carroll was the golden goose of defensive stars, how much longer is he going to coach?

Carroll isn't the future of this franchise. Russell is. I know not everyone wants to hear that, but it's true. And having Russell here after Pete will make that transition easier.

Jared Goff? Carson Wentz? Really? The other three I can understand, but those two won't sniff Russ' contract.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
AirStrike":26kzu18n said:
Yxes1122":26kzu18n said:

Jared Goff? Carson Wentz? Really? The other three I can understand, but those two won't sniff Russ' contract.

Neither should Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Kirk Cousins... But here we are.

Carson Wentz was on pace for an MVP season before tearing his ACL two years ago. Jared Goff has gone to a Super Bowl.

Not saying it's smart. Just saying it's possible.