Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But wait.....he wants to be in New York. He wants 40 mil a year. He's "selfish" blah blah blah.
Less than 32 mil a year over 5 years and a no trade clause. After months of Russ bashing, and people believing what the idiot media types say, here we are. He was at practice yesterday, never said he wanted to leave and he's staying. In a couple years, this will look like a massive bargain. If you can't see that this is a great deal for both sides, you never will. Glad it's over, it's just too bad so many people assumed the worst with ZERO proof to back it up.
Guys like RCATES and Tical must hate this. :snack:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Frank Clark: After this year, bye Seattle!
Jarran Reed: After next year, bye Seattle!
Bobby Wagner: My turn to get paid!

classicaaron

Reaction score
glad this is all behind us now. was tired of hearing about it already so can only imagine it dragging on for the next year or more.

I think they needed to sign him no matter the cost. it definitely hurts the cap and resigning of players but what other option do they have. the chance of drafting the next franchise QB is so slim. and for those that say its easily possible to draft the next Russ then that logic should be applied to any other position. so they will just need to draft well at the other positions in order to form a good team around him. but his impact of helping to get wins is so much greater than any other players they would bring in so that's why hes worth the money. sign 3 other players at the top of their position and they still wouldn't be able to overcome what Russ would and the same percentage of the cap would be used up.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Well hopefully the coaching staff doesnt continue to handcuff his play. At the rate he was paid it needs to be Wilson leading the offense and not hand the ball off 90x a game. A run first team with a 140 mill qb makes zero sense and I hope the bosses realize that and let Wilson do his thing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, couldn't agree more. Let him take over, and not just in the 2nd half of games. I have never understood that mentality of just feeling out the other team etc. Screw that mess, go for it for 4 quarters. Let him be who he is.

massari

Reaction score
̶S̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶W̶i̶l̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶$̶3̶5̶M̶
Sign Wagner $17M
Sign Reed $13M
Trade Clark to Colts for #34+#90

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Glad the Hawks got this done w/o the 18% salary cap speculation/bs.

But, it’s the details/structure of the contract I’m really interested in.

I have a feeling this contract is heavily backloaded. Why? Because his base salary in year 3 or 4 would be so high, it would force the team to renegotiate, ensuring Wilson will be the highest paid QB, again, in 2022.

This gives the Hawks a small window to draft well and make a very difficult decision of signing him, tagging him, or signing others, because by this time Poona Ford, Chris Carson, Trey Flowers, Rashaad Penny and whoever emerges will need to get paid.

Carroll doesn’t need Pro Bowl players for his defense to be great. He just needs to resign them to their second contract. Having a mega deal hampers/limits that from happening.

Get ready for the same drama in 2 years.

devilhawk88

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1qvysf0l said:
KitsapGuy":1qvysf0l said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1118057570172715008[/tweet]

Great, what happened to no time to sleep? He's getting lazy already.

He's not sleeping bro, he's... never mind, if you don't know watch animal planet :mrgreen:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He CLEARLY wanted to stay here. All the stuff we heard was going to happen...…...NONE of it happened. Great deal for both sides. In fact, the Front Office knocked it out of the park imo.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Worth every penny. One of the few elite players in this league that can carry his team to victory on any given day. Schneider and Pete have a much better chance of drafting talented plug and play defensive guys than finding the next franchise QB if Russ ever leaves. Give Russ a decent supporting cast and O-line and the Hawks will keep winning a lot of games.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Totally happy about this. Never really doubted it would get done. For the haters who wanted more draft picks via a trade of Russ-just sit back and watch JS/PC work their magic as they turn 4 picks into 7.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1i5rybme said:
Yep, couldn't agree more. Let him take over, and not just in the 2nd half of games. I have never understood that mentality of just feeling out the other team etc. Screw that mess, go for it for 4 quarters. Let him be who he is.

Who he is? He's the best play action QB ever. You need to establish the run for that to work to its best. Keep running the ball Pete and let Wilson pull out his wizardry when it matters.

If you lean too much on a QB then they can get too beat up. Nothing keeps the pass rush off like a scary run game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not my point at all. They don't need to be conservative in the 1st half of games. The play calling often looks like they are scared to let one of the best QB's in the league carve up a defense. He is capable of doing it against any team in the league. Why wait til the 2nd half to let loose with the offense. I love the running game, big time. However, you can't just run the ball all day long and then decide to finally throw it down field in the 2nd half.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Random thoughts the deal has sunk in a bit and the figures have more context.

1 - I'm really pleased for RW as an individual, there arent many that deserve this more. He's a great QB.

2 - I do feel like the Seahawks have overpaid for the type of football they play and they have limited themselves to strengthen with vet talent. We now very much are reliant on the draft. We will need to have some amazing drafts to get a sniff of the SB again.

3 - My immediate gut feeling is this makes us weaker longer term. Personally I'd have been happy to run with Paxton Lynch (or whomever) and looked for a QB next year. This draft has excellent defensive depth and some high picks could have made a real difference. I get that its about birds in the hand rather than the bush but I feel like we are defensive team first and this investment takes us more away from that. I'm not sure that this forced change of identity benefits us long term.

4 - It's hard to quantify how much was is fault for the various rumours but man alive Mark Rodgers is a douche. I'm not sure he is doing Wilson any favours as regards his image.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Now that we know russ is locked up who's next? The draft is fast approaching and we still have holes to fill.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Would be nice to be able to afford tickets with decent seats to see a game. Oh well, at least some guy invented television.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Announcing it on twitter with his new wife in bed is exactly how I would have expected it to come out.