Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1118276209719144448[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1118278150352297985[/tweet]

Chapow

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3mqqqqbk said:
MontanaHawk05":3mqqqqbk said:
Spin Doctor":3mqqqqbk said:
I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage.

[youtube]o9ZgnVb5Q7I[/youtube]
And?

I’m quite confident that what I say will come to pass. We’re going to be fringe playoff team during these years. Some we’ll get in others we’ll just miss. More of being one and done, or no playoffs at all unless the CBA is altered drastically. Our boat anchor is named Russell Wilson.

And I'm quite confident that had we kicked Wilson to the curb for a few draft picks we wouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs at all. Our boat anchor would be not having a good enough QB and very likely not being able to find one anywhere near as good as Russ anytime soon.

flv

Reaction score
+1 for @knownone's post. The cost is what's important. How much of the cap hit a team deals with in any given year is almost irrelevant. The team has to deal with all of the cap hit over the length of the deal, (or years +1). Pushing the cap back makes sense from a flexibility standpoint if the cap is increasing, but either way it doesn't cost or save money.

Torc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24ua0y2a said:
More balance, less predictable, more dynamic playcalling? Sure, I'm with you. But that's all fine tuneable within our system now. No reason to take the position of the sky is falling because our QB now is costing us a whopping 1M over his cap hit of last year for 2019.

I'd be happy (or at least happier) if our offense scores on the first drive of the game, preferably TDs most of the time. Starting the game with a lead makes the run-first game plan much more effective.

Jville

Reaction score
As is always the case with new contracts, especially for elite quarterbacks, this deal wasn’t easy to get done, but Carroll credited the work of Schneider and vice president of football administration Matt Thomas for figuring out a way to keep Wilson in Seattle for years to come.

“Obviously this is a grand negotiation, and they had to figure it out,” Carroll said. “They had to figure it out, it has all been a part of the plan—they’ve known it was coming for years. The fact that they were able to make it happen and connect with Russ on his plan to really commit his future to the organization and to the fans and all—he has done that—that all had to be orchestrated, and John and Matt did an extraordinary job.”

Carroll also made a point to praise the role of Jody Allen, Trustee of the Paul G. Allen Trust and Chair of the Seahawks and Vulcan Inc., in the process of making a deal of this magnitude possible.

“The support from Jody Allen was huge,” Carroll said. “She was involved, and her support really allowed the guys to function at the level where they were able to get this done. That shouldn’t be missed, because she was really instrumental. She’s awesome, she really is.”

Terrific write up here >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-sign-russell-wilson-to-contract-extension[/urltargetblank]

Russell Wilson press conference scheduled for 1:30pm on Wednesday.

This team is in really good hands for the foreseeable future.

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
Crow is being served for all the doubters.

Please form a line to the left!

GO HAWKS

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2xo7rd8e said:
Seymour":2xo7rd8e said:
Spin Doctor":2xo7rd8e said:
This deal was a mistake.

That post must be as well. :roll:

Most people disagree and this is exactly why.....

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001025270
Are you ready for some mediocre Seahawks football? I know I am!

I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage. What I do care about is the fact that we have one of the worst offensive schemes in the league. What I do care about is our team seems more concerned with “winning their way” than winning. We passed less than ANY team last year, yet we’re giving our signal caller the largest contract ever. Moreover that money is not front loaded, it’s a huge burden each year.

We won the SuperBowl by having a loaded team with young talent, almost all of them were still in their rookie contracts. That is how we amassed such a great team. Russ is a good QB, but he is also a boat anchor at the moment with that salary, combined with the way Pete runs his offense.

All I can say is we’re not going to even touch the Super Bowl in these five years unless something drastic changes with the next CBA.

It's very easy to say we are not going to touch the SB the next 5 years because the odds are always stacked against that. You have a 7% chance every year to make the SB and a 35% chance to make it once in 5 years. So you are not sticking your neck out at all with your prediction.

That doesn't mean that Seattle football will be mediocre. It hasn't been mediocre the entire time we've had Wilson. It has been mediocre for many years without Russell. Double digit wins isn't mediocre football. That's elite football. I don't expect that to change.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2009r30i said:
Spin Doctor":2009r30i said:
Seymour":2009r30i said:
Spin Doctor":2009r30i said:
This deal was a mistake.

That post must be as well. :roll:

Most people disagree and this is exactly why.....

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001025270
Are you ready for some mediocre Seahawks football? I know I am!

I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage. What I do care about is the fact that we have one of the worst offensive schemes in the league. What I do care about is our team seems more concerned with “winning their way” than winning. We passed less than ANY team last year, yet we’re giving our signal caller the largest contract ever. Moreover that money is not front loaded, it’s a huge burden each year.

We won the SuperBowl by having a loaded team with young talent, almost all of them were still in their rookie contracts. That is how we amassed such a great team. Russ is a good QB, but he is also a boat anchor at the moment with that salary, combined with the way Pete runs his offense.

All I can say is we’re not going to even touch the Super Bowl in these five years unless something drastic changes with the next CBA.

It's very easy to say we are not going to touch the SB the next 5 years because the odds are always stacked against that. You have a 7% chance every year to make the SB and a 35% chance to make it once in 5 years. So you are not sticking your neck out at all with your prediction.

That doesn't mean that Seattle football will be mediocre. It hasn't been mediocre the entire time we've had Wilson. It has been mediocre for many years without Russell. Double digit wins isn't mediocre football. That's elite football. I don't expect that to change.

2017 was fairly mediocre.

But regardless, I do expect Seattle to be on the fringe of playoff contention as well, but the margin for error is razor thin regarding the building of the remaining of the roster and the draft. Can't have costly mistakes here if you want to stay in playoff contention.

And to me, that's the thing. I don't fault anyone for being happy that he resigned. It was probably the right choice.

I just hope we fans understand that teams forced into these situations can face consequences. It's not a black and white situation, and I certainly hope it works out.

Lets hope the FO drafts like theyve never drafted before. :D

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3seryq76 said:
MontanaHawk05":3seryq76 said:
Spin Doctor":3seryq76 said:

And?

I’m quite confident that what I say will come to pass. We’re going to be fringe playoff team during these years. Some we’ll get in others we’ll just miss. More of being one and done, or no playoffs at all unless the CBA is altered drastically. Our boat anchor is named Russell Wilson.

And I'm quite confident that waiting for another franchise QB is probably just as long a wait as re-signing Wilson (except without the playoff appearances to provide even the possibility), rather than the immediate slam dunk you seem to be assuming.

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2an7t424 said:
MontanaHawk05":2an7t424 said:
Spin Doctor":2an7t424 said:

And?

That too short game manager Russell Wilson, right?

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
He’s such a dope lol. That video he posted was like watching Michael Scott in The Office. I’m glad he’s staying and I’ve got mixed emotions about the terms but my god that guy can be so dorky it hurts.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Even though the number is pretty eye-popping, not a surprise (quarterback deals seem to inflate every year ) and the alternative of losing Wilson would have been ugly. I'm in the camp who believes Wilson is an elite top-5 qb, so this is the price we had to pay and will need to work around the contract.

Also, it would be one thing if it was just Wilson being overpaid, but as long as every team is forced into overpaying for QBs, it doesn't really change the competitive balance much. With a fixed cap, basically what it means is other players across the league will need to accept less - I understand if they're pissed, but doesn't really impact fans. Sure, some teams might get lucky with an underpaid rookie or breakout star QB, but even that will only last for a couple seasons. And I'd much rather have an elite (IMO) QB at 30+ million than a mediocre one at 20+ million.

chris98251

Reaction score
For Christs sake, first we were gonna suck if we don't sign Wilson now were going to suck because we signed Wilson, if we have a good season and win a playoff game or more half these posters won't be around, most won't be around 3 weeks after the draft after they chime in on how bad we sucked drafting.

We have a high turnover of players almost every year, we offer deals based on performance and value performers higher then other places and keep them unless that team is dumb enough to sell the farm for a guy which Pete and John say thanks and good luck many come back after that contract or are cut wanting to come back home. I am not worried about Cap shit, we handle that pretty well.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Like a beard and nasty underwear, I think many seahawk fans (especially the old ones) tend to lean towards the doom and gloom. After living thru the 80's it's just safer that way.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":30dl6fjy said:
If they change an extremely successful and efficient offense because they paid their quarterback more money, it would be like shooting yourself through the mouth, not doing the job, and picking up the gun again.

Constantly having Russell Wilson in 3rd and long all game is not efficient. On the contrary.

RW was the #2 QB in the NFL with % of his passes coming on 3rd in long last season. That is what you call setting up your QB to fail. Wilson is such a beast though, you probably never realized it.

There were also the #1 team in the league in R, R, P. play sequence by a large margin. Which is the #1 play sequence that leads to punts. Both for Seattle and the NFL as a whole. Punting is not efficient, on the contrary.

That being said they just need to tweak what they are doing by a little bit.

Move to being a 50/50 team on 1st down. They would become far harder to defend. Dallas watched film on the Seahawks for the playoffs. Their conclusion. Sell out to stop the run on 1st & 2nd down. Pin your earsback on 3rd down. You cannot be that hard headed, and predictable, or you will lose.

The Seahawks need to blend in the pass more on 1st down going with playaction, and short passes to RBs & TEs to help get to 2nd and manageable more often, and avoid getting into so many 3rd and longs.

The Seahawks were a 53/47 team last season. They can keep their same mentality on 2nd down for all I care, just be smarter on 1st down. That would move them to being around a 51/49 team. Which I think is just right for this offense. The sweet spot if you will. Duane Brown has come out and said they need to throw more. An Offensive LIneman said this, I never thought I would see the day.

================

On to Wilson's contract.

I have to see how it lays out in cap form to properly comment on it, but right now it seems like a damn good deal for the Seahawks. Wilson could of easily been more selfish and gone the franchise tag route, and went for the mega payout next year. After the next wave of QBs would've signed.

I was rooting for a 5-6 yr $35M APY extension. Instead Seattle is sticking to these ridiculous 4 yr extensions for their stars, which put more strain on their cap. And gives less "at a bargain" years. Who wouldn't want to have Wilson for another year, or two, at $22.9M APY? Or Wagner for 1-2 more years at $10M APY? These short deals for stars are maddening.

Anyways back to the Wilson contract.

You have to deal with double proration for this season (2019), with a shorter contract to spread out, or back load the base salary from this year.

Wilson still has proration remaining from his last contract $8M worth. And now will have 65M /5 = $13M in proration a year for the next 5 years, including this one.

So that is $21M in salary cap proration alone for 2019. I have to think they dropped his base salary down for this season to $3M and change. Which would keep his cap hit roughly the same. Which is cool, but they now will have to spread the remaining base salary around from this season to future years, and they have 1 less year to play with due to these asinine shorter deals with superstars. Which is going to lead to a bigger cap hit in 2020, & 2021 then would be needed otherwise.

The Seahawks should try to keep his cap hit in the high 20's in 2020. Low 30s in 2021. Then 2022 will be the big year, and 2023 will be even bigger, which will lead to another negotiation anyway. That would be the ideal structure. The mega signing bonus does help, and will lead to lower base salaries...

But enough speculating. We will just have to wait and see what it is.

Fade

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":34oaw258 said:
Even though the number is pretty eye-popping, not a surprise (quarterback deals seem to inflate every year ) and the alternative of losing Wilson would have been ugly. I'm in the camp who believes Wilson is an elite top-5 qb, so this is the price we had to pay and will need to work around the contract.

Also, it would be one thing if it was just Wilson being overpaid, but as long as every team is forced into overpaying for QBs, it doesn't really change the competitive balance much. With a fixed cap, basically what it means is other players across the league will need to accept less - I understand if they're pissed, but doesn't really impact fans. Sure, some teams might get lucky with an underpaid rookie or breakout star QB, but even that will only last for a couple seasons. And I'd much rather have an elite (IMO) QB at 30+ million than a mediocre one at 20+ million.

Yup. $10M-15M in additional cap space to play with and an avg QB at best isn't going to make you better, but worse.

Ask the Broncos with Case Keenum.

The only situation better than having a franchise QB on a big money deal.

Is having a franchise QB on his rookie deal, but as you said it only lasts 3 years. Then they get paid.

And they don't grow on trees either. They are hard to find.

Top 10 QBs roughly

2000 Draft: Tom Brady
2001 Draft: Drew Brees
2004 Draft: Philip Rivers
2005 Draft: Aaron Rodgers
2008 Draft: Matt Ryan
2012 Draft: Russell Wilson
2012 Draft: Andrew Luck
2017 Draft: Patrick Mahomes
2017 Draft DeShaun Watson
2018 Draft Baker Mayfield

Look at all of those years where there are no franchise guys in the draft. Or guys that are considered franchise quality but don't sustain. Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, or Cam Newton, guys like that. DeShaun or Baker may fall off. I would've had Wentz on this list last year.

When you have a guy as consistent as Russell Wilson. Season in, season out, it is very rare. You're talking about a HoF level type of player. At the most important position, who plays his best football when the game is on the line.

Only an idiot would let that walk out the door, to save some cap space.

JGreen79

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":2e69cuov said:
He’s such a dope lol. That video he posted was like watching Michael Scott in The Office. I’m glad he’s staying and I’ve got mixed emotions about the terms but my god that guy can be so dorky it hurts.

Lockett and Fluker agree.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1118342295592398848[/tweet]

Ruminator

Reaction score
JGreen79":2r75wfp2 said:
HAWKAMANIA":2r75wfp2 said:

Lockett and Fluker agree.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1118342295592398848[/tweet]

WHAT THE?! Someone stop burning Fluker's retinas with that camera, we need him to be able to see tackles and linebackers this season!

gabel

Reaction score
I am not a "hater" but I do not think signing Wilson to the richest deal in NFL history is not a wise move. It is my opinion that with only 14 career 300 yard games that Wilson is not a top terr QB. I don't think he plays well in big games and I think he is a streaky player.

Latest posts