Wilson is not Elite

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":35wjelv2 said:
Tical21":35wjelv2 said:
I'm really not sure any other starting qb in the league will throw as bad of an interception all year as that pick-6.

All that pick came down to was mistaking zone for man. It's a poorly designed play. QB's get fooled on man vs zone not infrequently. If that mistake leads to a pick six its a bad play design. Given it has no motion to identify zone vs man, it really makes it doubly bad.

The zone beaters were run on the other side of the field and should have been Wilson's go to if he's interpreted the coverage correctly. As soon as the CB realizes that Wilson thinks its man coverage, he knows he can freely buzz under to the out route and get a pick six.

Schotty needs to work on his man beaters to have them not lead to a pick six if the read is wrong. Rub routes are much better man beaters that rarely get picked even if its zone. 6 yd outs get destroyed if its zone.

Anyway, it was a bad interception but Dak's pick in the end zone throwing into double bracket coverage is just as bad. And I'm sure there's been an interception thrown into triple coverage at least once this year. Those are worse than Russ'.

FOOTBALL Post of The Week.
Thank you for the analysis. I also read your post somewhere on this board where you mentioned that OMG moment where you could tell that Russ was thinking it was Man when the Chargers were actually in Zone.

That pick-6 vs Chargers looked nearly identical to the one Russ threw in the 4th quarter against Chicago.
Was it the same scenario then, Wilson misreading the coverage?

It looks like Russell and Schotty have to put their heads together and figure this out. The pick is as much on our OC.
Schotty has to understand how Wilson's mind works and design his plays to give Russell the information he needs to make correct reads, or at least avoid disastrous mis-reads like those two highly similar game-killing pick-6's.

I'd like think that by now Russell and Schotty have gone over film of those 2 pick-6's a couple hundred times, Russell knows clearly his mistakes on those, Schotty has burned the pages of the playbook with that play and replaced them with ones that give Russell a "tell", e.g. motion to that side, or something... and that we won't ever see THAT same mistake. IIRC someone said Russell now has 3 pick-6's in his *career*. Well then, 2 of them are this year on highly similar plays, in the Schottenheimer offense. Also, apparently Bevell knew about *this* blind spot in Wilson's game, but Schotty is just now learning. And of course, a younger, faster Wilson was a big reason for fewer pick-6's, as Russell numerous times chased down the intercepting player and made the tackle.

Jville

Reaction score
Phillip Rivers is not elite ...... without a running game and credible defense.

Most quarterbacks need a running game to get into a rhythm that keeps defenses off balance and unable to restrict it to a one dimensional effort. We see that in quarterbacks that experience high variance seasons. Our own PopeyeJones described Russell Wilson as one of the most high variance quarterbacks in the league. I think that is a useful description. In prior years, I thought of Phillip Rivers play as highly variable. In the past, the Chargers relied far to much on Rivers and his preferred shot gun preference to carry the day. The Chargers proved that doesn't work. As emotional as Rivers is, he sure looked solid and confident on Sunday.

Phillip Rivers clearly thrives with a complementary running game and the support of a credible defense to get him back on the field. The height of Rivers plane of vision opens up opportunities for quick passes as well as an emphasis on all those crossing routes. Those crossing routes and an effective running game pulls the coverage in and opens up the back end for explosive receptions ..... which in turn opens up explosive runs thru the interior and outside via jet sweeps. Chargers fans should really be happy now that they have a more balanced offense and a supportive defense. Although, they do need to fix special teams prior to the playoffs.

P.S. Although all quarterbacks have particularly poor games from time to time. The silver lining is those bad outings provide plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. Russell Wilson isn't going to grow another five or six inches in height. But his game is going to evolve around his unique assets and become more formidable as he matures.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1bwm69vz said:
RCATES":1bwm69vz said:
I love how those on here who share the opinion of most outside this fan base are considered ignorant on the game of football.

Who are you referring to?

Ever think that your blind optimism is based off your fandom of this team?

Who are you referring to?

Pay him that way.

Wilson won't accept significantly lower than market value, and I don't blame him. That's not a thing.

If this team gives him Elite money forget about ever sniffing another SB let alone the playoffs.

This team may never make it to the Super Bowl in my lifetime, much less win one, no matter how good the rosters are. The All-Universe, "do everything right" Patriots have won two whole Super Bowls in the last 13 seasons. That is the best any team has done over that span. Saying a team won't get to/win a a Super Bowl is an easy sell. 93.75% of the teams in the NFL manage to not do that. Every single year.

Do you really think they won't ever make the playoffs with Wilson under a big contract? That's a pretty tough sell, given that about a third of the teams get in every year. I'd imagine Wilson has at least five years in him as a starter when he goes under his new contract, and only four NFL teams haven't been the the playoffs in over four years (Browns, Bucs, Jets, Bears).

Most fans in the NFL that aren't Seahawk fans believe Wilson was carried by Lynch and a generational defense when Seattle was considered a contender. Since the departure of Lynch that has clearly been the case. Even now with a formidable defense this team is still sitting at 4-4. 9-7 last year. So that assumption that Wilson needs a lot of help has merit. Watching Wilson with a open mind ignoring the fact of being a Seattle fan would likely make most of us fans see it as well. Wilson looked absolutely lost out there on Sunday before Chargers went into Prevent late in the 4th. Is this acceptable for a guy getting paid top 5 QB money and in his 7th year? Being a real fan and acting like you've been there before requires holding Wilson accountable for his regression as a QB. Sadly most Seahawk fans are new and think Wilson is everything that he is clearly not. We'll revisit this in a few weeks when we're sitting at 4-6.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
Jville":2z0j9nvy said:

Most quarterbacks need a running game to get into a rhythm that keeps defenses off balance and unable to restrict it to a one dimensional effort. We see that in quarterbacks that experience high variance seasons. Our own PopeyeJones described Russell Wilson as one of the most high variance quarterbacks in the league. I think that is a useful description. In prior years, I thought of Phillip Rivers play as highly variable. In the past, the Chargers relied far to much on Rivers and his preferred shot gun preference to carry the day. The Chargers proved that doesn't work. As emotional as Rivers is, he sure looked solid and confident on Sunday.

Phillip Rivers clearly thrives with a complementary running game and the support of a credible defense to get him back on the field. The height of Rivers plane of vision opens up opportunities for quick passes as well as an emphasis on all those crossing routes. Those crossing routes and an effective running game pulls the coverage in and opens up the back end for explosive receptions ..... which in turn opens up explosive runs thru the interior and outside via jet sweeps. Chargers fans should really be happy now that they have a more balanced offense and a supportive defense. Although, they do need to fix special teams prior to the playoffs.

P.S. Although all quarterbacks have particularly poor games from time to time. The silver lining is those bad outings provide plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. Russell Wilson isn't going to grow another five or six inches in height. But his game is going to evolve around his unique assets and become more formidable as he matures.

We would have 4 Lombardi's if Rivers was leading this team from 2012-15. No doubt about it.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":28ktw8bh said:
Jville":28ktw8bh said:

We would have 4 Lombardi's if Rivers was leading this team from 2012-15. No doubt about it

Oh ya...Rivers would have at least 4, likely more! We could dominate the entire galaxy with Philip throwing picks at the same rate as TD's. :177692: :pukeface:

#4 in All Time WORST playoff QB's LMAO!!!

https://www.sportsbreak.com/nfl/the-10-worst-playoff-quarterbacks-in-nfl-history/
Rivers was in his second season in 2007, when the Chargers went 11-5 and then beat Tennessee in the wild card, followed by a victory over Peyton Manning and the Colts in the AFC divisional game. But, in the AFC conference final against Tom Brady and the Patriots, Rivers didn’t click at all. He completed 19-of-37 for just 211 yards and threw two interceptions for a terrible rating of 46.1.

Jville

Reaction score
RCATES":29kz2hbj said:
Jville":29kz2hbj said:

We would have 4 Lombardi's if Rivers was leading this team from 2012-15. No doubt about it.

But then again ....... Rivers likely would have realized a very similar career and results in Seattle because of the same trap of dependence. The down side of investing in exceptional talent is that teams can become far too dependent on "Jim Dandy to the rescue". That is a sentiment that is held by many Charger fans during Rivers career.

P.S. When thinking about the most important position on the field in today's style of football, it is too easy to lose sight of the other 21 men on the field. As accommodating as today's style is by rule for quarterbacks, it remains a team game at it's heart.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
Seymour":17wjk160 said:
RCATES":17wjk160 said:
Jville":17wjk160 said:

We would have 4 Lombardi's if Rivers was leading this team from 2012-15. No doubt about it

Oh ya...Rivers would have at least 4, likely more! We could dominate the entire galaxy with Philip throwing picks at the same rate as TD's. :177692: :pukeface:

https://www.sportsbreak.com/nfl/the-10-worst-playoff-quarterbacks-in-nfl-history/
Rivers was in his second season in 2007, when the Chargers went 11-5 and then beat Tennessee in the wild card, followed by a victory over Peyton Manning and the Colts in the AFC divisional game. But, in the AFC conference final against Tom Brady and the Patriots, Rivers didn’t click at all. He completed 19-of-37 for just 211 yards and threw two interceptions for a terrible rating of 46.1.

You missed the entire point as usual. Here I'll draw it out for you. Give Rivers that Defense and Lynch with his abilities I 100% think we would have a few more SB'S. There's a reason a lot of ex players say the downfall of this team started when they catered to and paid Wilson. He's simply not that good.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If Rivers was the QB of the Seahawks, they would have had to tear down that same running game and defense just to pay him.

He was making 20 plus in those years the team was giving its cap to the defense. You can't have one without picking apart the other.

lukerguy

Reaction score
chris98251":1yjok2i0 said:
Belichek is known for his defenses, he had a hell of a defensive front for years with Wilfolk and great Linebackers in McGinest (OLB)Vrabel (OLB)Bruschi (ILB)Phifer (ILB) there for years as well. He had several RB's that he was able to use Dillon for a few years, Blount, Antowain Smith and then the WR's, he has always embraced the TE's and used them. with McDaniel's and Weiss.

Bradys fame is more his demeanor and fighter mentality, when his line sucked he took beatings and his team respected it, they quickly made sure they shored it up and fired a Oline coach or two also.

But go ahead and say he has not had a good team around him when he has been able to get to the dance.

Yeah Belichick is a defensive guru, and they won one superbowl when they had those guys you mentioned; they also appeared in 6 others with scubs that he coached up to be respectable defenses...They've never been considered a top defense in the last 10 years...

If you feel Russ is better than Brady, I can't continue this conversation as it's going to be useless.

My point of the entire conversation was that I feel Russ is excellent..not as good as Rodgers and Brady who can overcome average D and average running games, but in that next tier.. Almost no QB can overcome poor or average running game/defenses to be great every year.

Right now the Seahawks have decent defense and average running game (which looked to be great for a time). They are very close to being a playoff team IMO.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":18zsy8sk said:
Seymour":18zsy8sk said:
RCATES":18zsy8sk said:
Jville":18zsy8sk said:

You missed the entire point as usual. Here I'll draw it out for you. Give Rivers that Defense and Lynch with his abilities I 100% think we would have a few more SB'S. There's a reason a lot of ex players say the downfall of this team started when they catered to and paid Wilson. He's simply not that good.

I missed nothing. You are clueless about how well Rivers plays in the playoffs...PERIOD.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":w7f4ua4s said:
If Rivers was the QB of the Seahawks, they would have had to tear down that same running game and defense just to pay him.

He was making 20 plus in those years the team was giving its cap to the defense. You can't have one without picking apart the other.

I wasn't going to get technical with the OP because of his confusion....but ya...small detail of who you take from that team to pay Rivers comes up like Si pointed out here. :roll:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
lukerguy":3v1g0xtf said:
chris98251":3v1g0xtf said:
Belichek is known for his defenses, he had a hell of a defensive front for years with Wilfolk and great Linebackers in McGinest (OLB)Vrabel (OLB)Bruschi (ILB)Phifer (ILB) there for years as well. He had several RB's that he was able to use Dillon for a few years, Blount, Antowain Smith and then the WR's, he has always embraced the TE's and used them. with McDaniel's and Weiss.

Bradys fame is more his demeanor and fighter mentality, when his line sucked he took beatings and his team respected it, they quickly made sure they shored it up and fired a Oline coach or two also.

But go ahead and say he has not had a good team around him when he has been able to get to the dance.

Yeah Belichick is a defensive guru, and they won one superbowl when they had those guys you mentioned; they also appeared in 6 others with scubs that he coached up to be respectable defenses...They've never been considered a top defense in the last 10 years...

If you feel Russ is better than Brady, I can't continue this conversation as it's going to be useless.

It's probably not about who is better, Russ or Brady, but more about the idea that Brady has been willing his team to win through his sheer ability while Russ was gifted success by those around him.

Brady is the GOAT. That's not debatable in my mind. Rodgers is the best ball thrower in the league. But their successes in the position are based on those around them as much as their ability.

Russ deserves the same credit, or atleast to be afforded the same logic applied when assessing his value. Rodgers and Russ are very similar, stat wise, for example.

The biggest debate, for me, is whether to pay Wilson his next contract (maybe 30 mill/year) or try and go back to the formula that got the team this era of success. Both are risky

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
RCATES":3tt47cb9 said:
He peaked in 2013.

Now you are just throwing random things out there. Peaked in 2013? Seriously?? He's had at least 3 better years statistically than he did in 2013. Last year he led the league in TDs and was only 17 yards short of a third straight 4000 yards passing.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1f26cyg1 said:
lukerguy":1f26cyg1 said:
chris98251":1f26cyg1 said:

It's probably not about who is better, Russ or Brady, but more about the idea that Brady has been willing his team to win through his sheer ability while Russ was gifted success by those around him.

Brady is the GOAT. That's not debatable in my mind. Rodgers is the best ball thrower in the league. But their successes in the position are based on those around them as much as their ability.

Russ deserves the same credit, or atleast to be afforded the same logic applied when assessing his value. Rodgers and Russ are very similar, stat wise, for example.

The biggest debate, for me, is whether to pay Wilson his next contract (maybe 30 mill/year) or try and go back to the formula that got the team this era of success. Both are risky

I agree with this mostly. I think Rodgers is a small step ahead of Wilson because he has better pocket mechanics and doesn't take so many drive killing sacks that Russ takes. You never see him retreat backwards, and for that reason, I think he can get away with a team with less running and defense and still be a perennial playoff team. I don't think the hawks are a perennial playoff team with the defense and running game GB has had over the years.

chris98251

Reaction score
lukerguy":kdy9gd7k said:
chris98251":kdy9gd7k said:

My point of the entire conversation was that I feel Russ is excellent..not as good as Rodgers and Brady who can overcome average D and average running games, but in that next tier.. Almost no QB can overcome poor or average running game/defenses to be great every year.

Right now the Seahawks have decent defense and average running game (which looked to be great for a time). They are very close to being a playoff team IMO.

What I am saying is that no QB can do it on his own, you need a run threat and a defense that is top ten or close or a offense that can explode. The thing about the Patriots is that for over a decade they have had no real challenge in their own division to get in their way as well. That's a big help in making your team play off eligible.

Lets take a look at Trent Dilfer, had a elite running game and defense when he won, all he had to do was make enough throws and not turn the ball over to keep a defense honest. That's the extreme opposite and it worked that year.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":14i86r6v said:
RCATES":14i86r6v said:
He peaked in 2013.

Now you are just throwing random things out there. Peaked in 2013? Seriously?? He's had at least 3 better years statistically than he did in 2013. Last year he led the league in TDs and was only 17 yards short of a third straight 4000 yards passing.

Again these stats are misleading because Seattle has been playing behind in most of these games. Russ stat padding in garbage time when the other team went Prevent. Have you already forgot about our biggest complaint of Russ the last two years? That he didn't get it going until the 4th quarter in most cases. That's because the other team had a lead and went Prevent. Its not rocket science people. Wilson was garbage for the other 3 quarters. Anyways like I said lets revisit this after a few more games. I think Wilson's struggles are going to be super obvious in the coming weeks as we continue to play good teams.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Reality is Wilson is putting up elite numbers, and has done so since arriving in the NFL. Has he got some issues that he could improve? Absolutely!

Wilson has a will to win and an almost bulletproof sense of his ability to make something out of nothing which he has done successfully for years. The consequence of this attitude is that he can't or doesn't throw the ball away soon enough when the world is collapsing around him. This limitation separates him from being considered special by all as he takes play killing sacks which hurt or end drives. if he could improve this single aspect of his game while keeping his gunslinger mentality he would be universally considered exceptional.

If i had one wish it would be that he accepts reality better at times.

rcaido

Reaction score
What's the point of throwing the ball away when you can make things happen. Until the days he can no longer evade defenders is the day he needs to change his game. Right now he still able too, maybe not like he was a few years ago but probably still the best in the NFL in improvising and making plays.

My beef is that he doesn't hold the ball w/ read option. It seems like so many times he has it but elects to just give it to the RB. He needs to do this more just to keep the defense in check. We thrive so much when Wilson did this w/ Lynch.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
rcaido":36k6qsn9 said:
What's the point of throwing the ball away when you can make things happen. Until the days he can no longer evade defenders is the day he needs to change his game. Right now he still able too, maybe not like he was a few years ago but probably still the best in the NFL in improvising and making plays.

My beef is that he doesn't hold the ball w/ read option. It seems like so many times he has it but elects to just give it to the RB. He needs to do this more just to keep the defense in check. We thrive so much when Wilson did this w/ Lynch.

I'd much rather him throw it away then take a 15 yard loss on a Sack. 3 and 8 is much better then 3rd and 23. In other words a drive killing sack. Wilson is the king of these. Its something you rarely see from Elite Qb's. He's regressed as a player. Blame it on loss of speed, lack of vision (being short) or just simply trying to do too much. Fact is he is going the wrong direction on player development. Its worrisome going forward to say the least. This is why I standby that he peaked in 2013.

rcaido

Reaction score
RCATES":238wbp82 said:
rcaido":238wbp82 said:

I'd much rather him throw it away then take a 15 yard loss on a Sack. 3 and 8 is much better then 3rd and 23. In other words a drive killing sack. Wilson is the king of these. Its something you rarely see from Elite Qb's. He's regressed as a player. Blame it on loss of speed, lack of vision (being short) or just simply trying to do too much. Fact is he is going the wrong direction on player development. Its worrisome going forward to say the least. This is why I standby that he peaked in 2013.

You got to take the bad with the good. There is way more good then bad...

You wouldn't have gottent his play if he just lay on it or throw the ball away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGao-AGwMI

Latest posts