Wilson vs. Newton and the perception of greatness

RichNhansom

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3mnp80ah said:
RichNhansom":3mnp80ah said:
Cary Kollins":3mnp80ah said:
lol damn there are some salty people in this thread

Cam is being talked about more than Russell right now because, well it's Super Bowl week and Cam is playing in it. It's called a story line. It helps that he is also the NFL MVP and just had a historic season and dominate NFC Championship game.

The media rides the most recent thing they saw. So, the most recent thing they've seen is a Panthers team led by Cam Newton that dominated Seattle for 30 minutes before taking the 2nd half off, and then completely destroy a Cardinals team that was considered at least the second best team in the NFL.

So there you have it. No need to compare Cam to Kaepernick. Anyone that actually watches football and isn't just a fanboy can see Cam is lightyears ahead of Kaep in reading defenses and playing from the pocket.

This offseason there will be plenty of discussion of top QBs and Russell Wilson's name will be near the top of the list. There is still one more game to promote, so that's why you aren't hearing it now.

Your definitely not wrong. Espeacially about the Kaep comparison but really no one here is comparing Cam to Kaep, just the hype he got for good year. Jaws proclaimed he would be the greatest QB of all time.

I'm sure to those who are just checking in we probably appear over sensitive but if you had been along for the entire ride you would understand.

Wilson just threw 3 TD's in the probowl and was named offensive MVP but he did it in less time his rookie year (threw 3 td's in a quarter of play) and still didn't win it. Back then the NFL world was busy selling Luck and RG3, either of which given the same performance would have won MVP hands down.

It's been a very long road for Wilson to get the accolades he is getting now which are the same acolades Luck got before he entered the NFL and miltiple QB's have gotten from a single season's performance.

It probably comes off as slamming Cam but really it is looking at the whole body of work instead of just one year.

I have no idea how Wilson didnt get probowl MVP his rookie year...He was 8/10 with 98 yards and 3TD in about a quarter of play. Kyle Rudolph won the MVP with 5 catches 122 yards and a TD ...please..GTFO with that :roll:

How much time was Rudolph on the field?

If that was one quarter of play I could see a possible comparison but if it was like this year, the receivers played throughout the game and then you are comparing what a good but relatively normal, receiver would get in an above average game performance and that in no way compares to 3 TDs in 1 quarter of play.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Pantherxtreme":3tcr7qug said:
WindCityHawk":3tcr7qug said:
I'm not usually one to bang the East Coast Bias drum, but reading all the hype leading up to the big game next week, it's hard not to feel slighted as a Seahawks fan. I'm seeing article after article about how Cam Newton is the best dual threat QB ever, or how he's the next Brady or Manning, particularly since he's going against Manning and it sets up this "passing the mantle" narrative.

Maybe it's only because Newton is playing next weekend and Wilson isn't, but isn't Wilson the one racking up records left and right for passer rating, passing efficiency, quantifiable dual threat numbers (first to combine 4k passing and 500 rushing)? Wins? And hasn't he already beat Manning on the biggest stage? Newton is good at his job, don't get me wrong, but how has he somehow leap-frogged Wilson in the public eye when all he's done is less?

FYI....Cam passed for over 4051 yards as a rookie which was a record and rushed for 741 yards and scored 14 rushing Tds which is an all-time Qb record. So no Russell was not the first to reach that plateau.

Basically when Cam was coming out of college it was so much garbage spewed by the media oh why this guy shouldn't be the #1 player taken, You had "experts" actually saying Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker were better prospects at the position. And then Cam explodes onto the scene his rookie season, breaking passing records back to back in his first 2 games and resurrecting a Panthers offense that was dead last a season prior to him being drafted. Players like RG3 owe Cam a debt of gratitude, because after the Vince Young debacle teams had started to steer away from the mobile athletic Qb and or drafting them high, but after Cam's explosive rookie year he made that trend relevant again. As a matter of fact personally I think the Redskins organization sought a Qb in the draft with a RG3 skill set, solely how Cam Newton destroyed that team his rookie season.

And then comes the sophomore slump and our ex offensive coordinator season long resume for a head coaching job, Cam slumped and the team slumped, and now you have this new wave of young Qbs, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, RG3, and Cam becomes the forgotten one and all the rage was for the aforementioned guys and who would be the best among that crop. All the while Ron Rivera is cutting his teeth as a head coach shedding his conservative approach and becoming Riverboat Ron, Panthers fire their old Gm who had the team in Cap-hell and stripped of talent down the roster, Cam is slowly learning how to play the the game from the pocket, while the rest of the league still thinks he's just some 1 read, zone option Qb. And then it finally comes the together the talent of the collective 53 man roster improvement, matched with a uber-talented superstar who had quietly had matured in a small market was ready to take the league by storm.

It's similar to when Jordan entered the NBA, you had this guy who obviously was all world in talent, but his team didn't win at first, there were more complete teams in the way such as the Celtics, Pistons... But then Jordan finally figured it out, not just break records and scoring titles, but how to win. How to elevate the team around you.

And I think Cam figured it all out this year, how to win by elevating the players around him, and now the sky is the limit. Not saying that the Seahawks were the Panther's "Pistons" and Russell was Isaiah Thomas to Newton's Jordan. But I think you have two young teams with gifted Qbs who should be in the running for NFC supremacy for the next few years.

The wholle 4k yards 500 rushing was from this tweet

From @ESPNStatsInfo: Russell Wilson first player in NFL history to record 4,000 pass yds., 30 pass TDs & 500 rush yds. in a single season.

They threw in the 30 passing TD part

francois.nc

Reaction score
Aah okay...

Cam Rookie Year
4051 Passing
706 Rushing
35 Total TD's

Russ This Year
4024 Passing
553 Rushing
35 Total TD's

So they just working the numbers the way they like, sort of like this....

Cam This Year
3837 Passing
636 Rushing
45 Total TD's

Clayfighter

Reaction score
meh, before this season lots of folks were knocking Carolina for not surrounding Cam with enough talent. Now there are all these probowlers, which Cam deserves some credit for making those around him better.

Of course, the Panthers GM has also done a phenomenal job building the roster. I'm not going to apologize for the Panthers having the best GM in the league. Sounds like the Seahawks might want to start building in Gettleman's mold if they want Wilson to reach Cam's level.[/quote]

Are you saying Schneider is a bad GM and needs tips? Where have you been the last 4 years? Russ reach Cam's level? I know what QB has accomplished more in less time. Thanks. :th2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":m53nsugi said:
Cam is playing a HOFer in the SB. Gotta hype the game as much as possible so they can get their ratings.
That's all.
This is it. Sure it feels wrong that people aren't talking about us in February but that's because we're not playing in the Super Bowl this year. The Panthers and the Broncos have earned their time in the spotlight and it has to do with how the season finished and and not some east coast media bias thing.

OP
OP
WindCityHawk

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
And now they're asking if the Denver D is the best since the '85 Bears. :roll:

Rodney