Wilson was the best player on the field.

Ozzy

Reaction score
To be fair Wilson did much more than Cam did in the game and you can make a strong argument he was better than Cam. The second pick he got blasted on as he threw it. The first pick I still put on Wilson even though some in here haven't. Wilson finished 31-48 360+ yards and made some dime throws to lead his team back into it, he was unbelievable after the initial 10 minutes of the game. Not sure why Panther fans would have a hard time admitting that. He outplayed Cam in my opinion but even that's not all that fair to Cam because he wasn't in a position to have to do much. Never getting past the 50 yard line for almost 3/4's of the game is a knock on him though, how can it not be? Both are great quarterbacks and will probably be the rivalry for a lot of years to come. It's ok to admit it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of 9ers fans after their game in week 2 when Kaepernick completed 72% of his passes for 335 yards, 2 TDs, 0 ints and another 50 yards rushing to go with it.

9ers fans talked their heads off about how great Kaepernick was as evidenced by his final stat line.

The part they left out is that the 9ers were down 29-3 at halftime, and Kaepernick compiled practically all of his numbers in the second half after the Steelers were just trying to minimize turnovers and protect the lead.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3f131wzj said:
TorontoHawk":3f131wzj said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3f131wzj said:
Northwest Seahawk":3f131wzj said:
He outplayed Cam , the defense didn't show up the first half but Wilson had a great season and is an Elite QB.

Wilson is awesome. He gave Carolina 14 points today.

O-line was the reason for the rushed pass that caused the TD, Wilson played a great game in the second half and almost got us the win. Hopefully the team will fix the O-line. Just think Wilson, Rawls, Graham next year with our D.

Yeah in the fist half Wilson was hit, hurried or sacked on 77% of his drop backs. 2nd half under 30%. Should have stuck with what had been working instead of reverting to what was not. Ie first half of the season offense versus 2nd half. That said there is blame to pass around to me the Coaches get the biggest

I especially like the play in the 3rd Q where Wilson walked on water before scrambling for a first down..

Ozzy

Reaction score
Strange, you mean the game they still lost by 25 or so points? Almost leading a comeback in the playoffs against the #1 team is a little different than a week 2 game where you never threatened to come remotely close to a win against a terrible defense who never felt threatened. I have a hard time following here.

Wilson played fantastic after the initial flurry. Again, its ok to admit that.

Barthawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":10u2muv1 said:
To be fair Wilson did much more than Cam did in the game and you can make a strong argument he was better than Cam. The second pick he got blasted on as he threw it. The first pick I still put on Wilson even though some in here haven't. Wilson finished 31-48 360+ yards and made some dime throws to lead his team back into it, he was unbelievable after the initial 10 minutes of the game. Not sure why Panther fans would have a hard time admitting that. He outplayed Cam in my opinion but even that's not all that fair to Cam because he wasn't in a position to have to do much. Never getting past the 50 yard line for almost 3/4's of the game is a knock on him though, how can it not be? Both are great quarterbacks and will probably be the rivalry for a lot of years to come. It's ok to admit it.

Cam outplayed Russ in the first half, Russ outplayed Cam in the 2nd. Cam's team was up 31-0 and he had ZERO turnovers. He made clutch play after clutch play on 3rd downs in the first half..

Ozzy

Reaction score
I didn't disagree with that. I even said Cam made some fantastic throws early in the game. The TD to Olsen was incredible. But he didn't do anything after the initial 10 minutes or so. If we are going to say WIlson sucked because of the start then its fair to be critical of Kam after the initial 10 minutes or so too. Seahawks were making an epic comeback and you never once got past the 50 for the majority of the game while that was happening? I think its fair to say there is a valid debate on who played better because of it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Barthawk":omend2qj said:
austinslater25":omend2qj said:

Cam outplayed Russ in the first half, Russ outplayed Cam in the 2nd. Cam's team was up 31-0 and he had ZERO turnovers. He made clutch play after clutch play on 3rd downs in the first half..

Not sure how hard it can be to make a "clutch play" when you have no pressure at all on you and your receiving options are wide open haha

Popeyejones

Reaction score
austinslater25":sy2ynroq said:
Strange, you mean the game they still lost by 25 or so points? Almost leading a comeback in the playoffs against the #1 team is a little different than a week 2 game where you never threatened to come remotely close to a win against a terrible defense who never felt threatened. I have a hard time following here.

Wilson played fantastic after the initial flurry. Again, its ok to admit that.

I think you've missed my point, which was that when looking at final stat lines in games that are blowouts at halftime context really, really matters.

And yeah, after spotting the Panthers 10 points on the Hawks first two offensive possessions and going into halftime still without scoring (at halftime he was on pace for 160 yards 0 tds and 4 ints), after the half, Wilson had a great, great day.

My point was that even a benched QB like Kaepernick can put up huge numbers in the second half of a game like that, because, well, context matters.

When a game is a blowout at halftime the QB on the losing side SHOULD end the day with the best stat line, but that doesn't mean he was the best player on the field. There's just not a scenario in which a QB up 31-0 at halftime is going to put up numbers ANYWHERE close to a QB down 31-0 at halftime.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fair enough, I still think a strong argument can be made that Wilson was the best player on the field and had a better day in some regards. I don't think it can all be chalked up to "garbage time" either. He was moving at will when Carolina was clamped down and playing hard. I guess we can agree to disagree. An argument can be made for both guys, that was my point.

Michael Nano Buble

Reaction score
austinslater25":3qgugi0z said:
Fair enough, I still think a strong argument can be made that Wilson was the best player on the field and had a better day in some regards. I don't think it can all be chalked up to "garbage time" either. He was moving at will when Carolina was clamped down and playing hard. I guess we can agree to disagree. An argument can be made for both guys, that was my point.

No, it really can't.

Wilson threw two interceptions, one of which was a pick-six.

In the second half, Carolina's defense played conservative, off the line of scrimmage content to let Wilson dink and dunk down the field.

If you honestly think Wilson was the best player on the field then you are delusional.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seattle fans talking up a Seattle quarterback. Opposing fans rush to douse the flames. Silly Seattle fans, you should be talking about Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
austinslater25":1lk3pirr said:

Yeah, I think just "agree to disagree" is probably the best way to go on this one.

Just to be clear though, because you used the term, I don't think any portion of this game was just "garbage time." Rather than that, I just think when a game gets out of hand (like 31-0 at halftime) the optimal strategies for both teams in the second half just DRAMATICALLY change on both sides of the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, at least the people who can't stand Wilson, and never will like him are happy now. Feel better? :roll:
They wouldn't have even been in that game w/out his 2nd half. The way that pathetic O Line was playing in the 1st half, no wonder he looked off.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If some of you hadn't gotten caught up in who is better, Cam or Russ, the week before the game, you wouldn't be arguing this now.
History is written by the victors.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":3m10gdcq said:
Seattle fans talking up a Seattle quarterback. Opposing fans rush to douse the flames. Silly Seattle fans, you should be talking about Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton.

:lol:

Yeah, my presence in this thread definitely isn't that useful, which is why I'm leaving it.

TBF though, if this were instead a "Wilson is a great QB and showed it more than ever this year!" thread I'd be posting about how I agree and why.

Despite fandom there are still reasonable claims and unreasonable claims, IMO (e.g. "Did we witness Cam's ceiling this year or can he still improve?", or, "Is it still possible for Gabbert's ceiling to be a middle-of-the-pack starter?")

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cam had a great half. He clearly is not the same player he used to be. I give him credit for that. I hate the guy, but he played a hell of a half. And didn't do anything stupid in the 2nd half. Even though I was waiting for it :lol:

SeaChase

Reaction score
Michael Nano Buble":1kyf7gpg said:
Russell Wilson QBR: 91.1

Cam Newton QBR: 108.3

QB rating means everything around here so this stat ends this threads conversation.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Michael Nano Buble":cvqw7cv3 said:
SeaChase":cvqw7cv3 said:
Michael Nano Buble":cvqw7cv3 said:

QB rating means everything around here so this stat ends this threads conversation.

:mrgreen:

The year that Wilson's QBR is higher ranked than his QB Rating will be the year that Hawks fans come around on QBR. ;)

He was 4th in QBR this year though, so I'd guess the tightness in the shoulders is already starting to loosen up.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3pk8rnea said:
Michael Nano Buble":3pk8rnea said:
SeaChase":3pk8rnea said:
Michael Nano Buble":3pk8rnea said:

:mrgreen:

The year that Wilson's QBR is higher ranked than his QB Rating will be the year that Hawks fans come around on QBR. ;)

He was 4th in QBR this year though, so I'd guess the tightness in the shoulders is already starting to loosen up.

The above listed numbers are the actual QB ratings

QBR is Wilson 56.4 and Newtons is 74.1

If you want to judge them by just one game go ahead....(and yes I know what the thread is about and also you cant draw any meaningful conclusions because of how the game played out right from the start for BOTH players)

For their Careers this is Cams FIRST year above a 90 QB rating...yes you read that right..in 5 years this is his first year above 90, in an era when passing is the easiest it has ever been against a division that outside the panthers has had average AT BEST defenses. Wilsons worst season was a 95 QB rating and he has had 3 seasons above 100. He is second all time only below Rodgers.