Wilson's agent, "He took less so Seahawks could keep Wagner"

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I did read that nothing was going to happen and then Thursday night Russell asked to meet with the Hawks FO, he currently hadn't had any contract discussion personally. Then after he meets with them the deal got done. So it makes sense and is believable

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
lukerguy":2t3ns78i said:
I tend to agree. If Wilson left money on the table, then why did he wait until the 11th hour to sign?
Because he personally became involved in the negotiations during the 11th hour. Supposedly

Rob12

Reaction score
I think this is BS. Even if he did sign for more, Bobby Wagner wasn't going anywhere. The savings would have just came from elsewhere.

PR damage control, IMO. I love Russ and don't think any differently of him but these talks rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Reasonable or not.

Sealake80

Reaction score
My post was deleted. Apparently, I can't voice my opinion about people, in general, who think Wilson wouldn't take less for the benefit of his team.

It makes me laugh and :roll:

Hope that's OK to say on seahawks.net. Wouldn't want anyones feelings to get hurt. Win Forever.

Hawks46

Reaction score
lukerguy":3qtgwxu8 said:
I tend to agree. If Wilson left money on the table, then why did he wait until the 11th hour to sign?

This. I have a hard time believing that if the Seahawks were that close with Wilson on money, that this would've dragged out as long as it did. Schneider would've signed him and got the distraction over with.

kearly

Reaction score
If Wilson just wanted the most money possible, he would have waited until next offseason, or perhaps the offseason after that. I think Wilson would have gotten $25 million AYP very easily in 2016, and at the minimum, he would have been making $25 million in salary from the franchise tag next year.

For those reasons, coupled with Rodgers' past history of having clients wait, I was very surprised that Wilson signed this past week for only $21.9 million AYP. I know it sounds weird saying that such a deal was a 'discount', but considering what Wilson had on the table next offseason, he deserves credit for taking a team friendly deal when he could have waited for (a lot) more money.

I don't know if Wilson did it for Wagner specifically, but regardless, his decision to sacrifice a chunk of his earnings potential for the betterment of the team is something to appreciate.

ihawk

Reaction score
absolute bull. rodgers just wants to give the impression that he could have made his client even more money so he can attract more lucrative nfl clients. he's simultaneously using AND restoring RW's reputation as a 'team player'. it's a brilliant ploy, if not a transparent one. rodgers comes out looking like a shrewd agent who was hand cuffed by his client's desires to be team friendly. i don't believe it for a second. they held out to the last second trying to extract the most they could, and in the end they had to come part way back to earth to get it done. i love RW, and super relieved he's signed now -- but this is just PR baloney rodgers is spinning.

erik2690

Reaction score
I hope people are listening to the full interview as I did for the context and not just reading that quote back to yourself. I feel like purely reading that quote could give a bit of a slanted view of his words. I'm not saying I 100% believe him and that there isn't spin going on, but the interview here and on 710 (http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore) are pretty level headed and worth getting the context around any pull quotes.

He honestly said nothing but good things about the Seahawks FO.

lobohawk

Reaction score
ihawk":3b69nn2s said:
absolute bull. rodgers just wants to give the impression that he could have made his client even more money so he can attract more lucrative nfl clients. he's simultaneously using AND restoring RW's reputation as a 'team player'. it's a brilliant ploy, if not a transparent one. rodgers comes out looking like a shrewd agent who was hand cuffed by his client's desires to be team friendly. i don't believe it for a second. they held out to the last second trying to extract the most they could, and in the end they had to come part way back to earth to get it done. i love RW, and super relieved he's signed now -- but this is just PR baloney rodgers is spinning.

Rogers became Russell's agent because Russell asked him. Not because he's gunning for NFL contracts. For example, he guided Russell to Bus Cook when Russell first joined the league.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3h4rdunq said:
Russell signed a "fair" contract that was in line with his actual worth.

What Rodgers is saying is he was pushing Russell to play hardball and to make the situation messy, and Russell wasn't willing to do that. It's too bad that the process was not completed two months ago, when Newton's contract was done, as the time in between hurt his reputation and made Russell appear greedy. If he had stuck with Bus Cook, I am betting this contract would have been accomplished more quickly, without all the drama, insurance policies, agent bluster, issue statements, etc.

If he had stuck with Bus Cook it would have been done in less than a week after Newton.

I'm not looking forward to having another dragged out negotiation in 4 years. Damn Rodgers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Don't believe it for a moment. JS had to go 3.5 million over the cap higher than he wanted to, causing him to have to cut McDaniel who is a very good DT.

erik2690

Reaction score
I actually just re-listened and I can't find Rodgers saying this exact quote. He certainly says there was a consideration from Russ that he didn't want to "break up the team" and does mention Wagner. A bit nitpicky and maybe I just somehow missed it, but I can't find that specific quote said.

ihawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":zeda6gp0 said:
ihawk":zeda6gp0 said:

Rogers became Russell's agent because Russell asked him. Not because he's gunning for NFL contracts. For example, he guided Russell to Bus Cook when Russell first joined the league.

do you honestly believe for a second that an agent in rodgers position would not see the opportunity here? he wasn't representing russell just to be nice and enjoy a one-time nfl payday. even if he was, and legitimately doesn't want to tap into the nfl market (insane), this story still represents a brilliant spin to save face for BOTH him and RW following the negative reaction to negotiations from the fan base. it also fits nicely for both types of people: the ones who think RW is getting overpaid, and the ones who think he could've made a lot more.
time will tell, but i'd bet on rodgers having another nfl client or two next year.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ivotuk":2yskpb8x said:
Don't believe it for a moment. JS had to go 3.5 million over the cap higher than he wanted to, causing him to have to cut McDaniel who is a very good DT.

How did he go over this year? Wilson doesn't get new money til next year. Was it the bonus? Also I do think it is relevant that Wilson got just under Aaron Rodgers yearly average. Yeah Wilson could have waited till next year to get more money but it was also important for him to have his contract end at the age of 30. Not only is the contract "fair",, it just makes sense all around.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Reading this thread, I am just a little bit sorry RW didn't push it to next year.

The Seahawks got a very good deal, including RW giving up half of the already shameful '15 salary...but apparently a lot of this bunch would rather see him on the way out of town next year after a year or 2 of cap-destroying tag money.

Latest posts