Wilson's agent, "He took less so Seahawks could keep Wagner"

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like damage control to Russells image, spin control to give props to the agent for doing what his client wanted but also saying we could have got more, selling himself for other opportunities.

erik2690

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2zq2bpxi said:
He signed the deal, why does any of this matter?

I don't think it does really. The deal seems fair, Russ seems happy, they got Wagner done. I don't think it matters if he says there was some 'team' motivation at play or if we believe that.

I tend to believe he probably did say to his agent that he didn't want this to hurt the team too bad. The problem becomes he might not have quite as realistic a view as the FO on what the line there is between 'just fine' and 'break up the team'. That's where it becomes subjective and can vary, but I could easily believe he wanted that to be a consideration.....? Again I think the full interview is pretty level headed and is complimentary of Seahawks FO.

jdblack

Reaction score
kearly":1yyogc87 said:
If Wilson just wanted the most money possible, he would have waited until next offseason, or perhaps the offseason after that. I think Wilson would have gotten $25 million AYP very easily in 2016, and at the minimum, he would have been making $25 million in salary from the franchise tag next year.

For those reasons, coupled with Rodgers' past history of having clients wait, I was very surprised that Wilson signed this past week for only $21.9 million AYP. I know it sounds weird saying that such a deal was a 'discount', but considering what Wilson had on the table next offseason, he deserves credit for taking a team friendly deal when he could have waited for (a lot) more money.

I don't know if Wilson did it for Wagner specifically, but regardless, his decision to sacrifice a chunk of his earnings potential for the betterment of the team is something to appreciate.

100% agree, good logic. To the nay-sayers, just because this is a common refrain does not make it any less true.

Contract talks sometimes go on for days/weeks/months. There just isn't that much for them to be debating if they don't cover detailed salary cap implications. They probably go about as in-depth in negotiations as the GM & salary cap number crunchers do in regular planning.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
netskier":37it5i54 said:
It is a calculus problem, with as yet insufficient data to solve it. Trading off local maxima against the global maximum.

And I thought it was a difference in macro economics and Microeconomics. Calculus is easy....economics is hard.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
How much is Russ going to make with endorsements and shirt sales? MUCHO Bucks!! He will have more money than he can spend!

endzorn

Reaction score
My sources tell me Seattle demanded Wilson sign for $50m/yr and it took his agent until the last minute to talk Schneider into lowering it so the team could remain competitive. Wilson desperately tried to avoid media and public appearances so he could concentrate his efforts into talking our front office out of this madness. Russell is so super special. I wish I could have his little angel baby.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Who knew that the new fad would be getting on Russell Wilson. Whatever gets you thru the day :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I am not thrilled how Mark Rodgers handled the whole contract issue with Seattle, but....... it was lower than I expected, less of a cap hit than I expected, and it got done. I just think it was horribly handed, BUT in the end Rodgers is probably telling the truth, as I believe that RW did leave some $$$ on the table to sign Bwags. Just my .02 worth of course.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Somebody (would have had to be a team source) leaked that Russ came down 10 mil, or something like that, in his G'teed demands in the last 24 hours.

So the Agent, trying to get more football players to his agency, releases a counter statement to let everyone know why they came down.

Who really cares? It isn't like Russ has to use coupons now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of you have confirmation bias so bad.

Look, I get it. I thought that Wilson was sitting in the catbird seat and was going to REAM the Hawks. I was annoyed with him because I was sure he would. He could have. He didn't.

I was wrong about Wilson. And with all the gloom and darkness about his agent? Well, little of that transpired. His agent got him a good deal and he didn't burn everything down to get it.

Look at the contract. Just how many of those years are guaranteed? Most are team options from what is being reported. And the #s are absolutely friendly vs what Luck is going to get. Seahawk fans want everyone to realize Wilson's greatness except for when it comes time to negotiate the contract - then it is all just Pete and the defense?

We could go down a rabbit hole on that one so I will just point out one thing:

Wilson won us our SuperBowl. And without Wilson, we are not there - that last TD to Kearse does not happen and with another QB we probably don't even recover from that strip of the QB at the start of the game. Wilson was key in that SF game and without that we don't make the SB.

Wilson contributed to one of the greatest, if not the greatest games in Seattle sports history - including 2 playoff games and one SB. He should have a statue even if he left tomorrow. Same with Lynch.

Give Wilson credit because I think he could have gotten more, but left something on the table so we could keep some other guys. Was it amazingly team friendly? Maybe not amazingly but it made a difference and he could have gotten more.

His agent is right.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
erik2690":2vup0p44 said:
I hope people are listening to the full interview as I did for the context and not just reading that quote back to yourself. I feel like purely reading that quote could give a bit of a slanted view of his words. I'm not saying I 100% believe him and that there isn't spin going on, but the interview here and on 710 (http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore) are pretty level headed and worth getting the context around any pull quotes.

He honestly said nothing but good things about the Seahawks FO.
I'd wager that almost everyone calling 'BS' on this haven't listened to the call.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't give a damn if he took less or not. The Seahawks have a franchise QB for the next 5 seasons and paid the going rate, Russell is a millionaire many times over and I get to watch the Seahawks win a lot of games this year and many more. :thirishdrinkers:

Fade

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3kav1ae3 said:
I am not thrilled how Mark Rodgers handled the whole contract issue with Seattle, but....... it was lower than I expected, less of a cap hit than I expected, and it got done. I just think it was horribly handed, BUT in the end Rodgers is probably telling the truth, as I believe that RW did leave some $$$ on the table to sign Bwags. Just my .02 worth of course.

This is my view on it.

Mark Rodgers handled it the MLB way, where you wait until this last minute to sign the deal.

Bus Cook got Cam's deal done in a timely fashion, and quickly would have done Russell's as well.

In 4 years it will play out the same way again, where it will drag out until the 11th hour.

Sealake80

Reaction score
The negative reaction from the fan base is really silly and if I wanted to waste too much time it would really rub me the wrong way. I truly hope that the players completely ignore the noise. Life is more productive when you can.

Wilson signed a very fair deal without missing a single day of camp... or testing the free agent market. This is after playing for very little his first three years.

3 is our lucky number. We will win 3 with wilson.

No one should judge him for getting a great agent and negotiating a deal. What is the deal with that? I don't get it.

Start high when you are negotiating and ask for what you want - or more than what you want - or you will never get it.

Don't our players deserve the right to negotiate their business contracts without a bunch of negative energy directed at them? Are the players supposed to shut up, act stupid and throw their bodies away for our enjoyment?

Wilson may be the most team first guy the Seahawks have ever had. We have the chance to be champions for several more years with this deal. Like I said, we will win 3. We should be thanking our lucky stars with this deal. Football is a business and deals happen. Some more friendly to the team than others. Wilson's deal is team friendly. Just wait till you see the deals coming out next year and the year after.

Our guy is going down in history as a football god after winning a few more championships because of this deal. If Wilson's good friend and agent says he took less to keep Wagner on the team then I would bank on it. It's tell the truth Tuesday and I'm going easy with my opinion so I don't get banned!

Win Forever.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":1y0yjb0s said:
Don't believe it for a moment. JS had to go 3.5 million over the cap higher than he wanted to, causing him to have to cut McDaniel who is a very good DT.
McDaniel was very underwhelming last season. The decision tree was probably to cut McDaniel if a deal with RW was completed or keep him as part of the competition pile if Russ opted to play this season out at 1.5 mil. I doubt the situation was 'OMG, he's asking for way more than we anticipated so we're forced to cut McDaniel!' See how silly that sounds?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
endzorn":3upn14gi said:
My sources tell me Seattle demanded Wilson sign for $50m/yr and it took his agent until the last minute to talk Schneider into lowering it so the team could remain competitive. Wilson desperately tried to avoid media and public appearances so he could concentrate his efforts into talking our front office out of this madness. Russell is so super special. I wish I could have his little angel baby.
Are you any relation to Art Thiel?

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":m2197tp2 said:
Somebody (would have had to be a team source) leaked that Russ came down 10 mil, or something like that, in his G'teed demands in the last 24 hours.

So the Agent, trying to get more football players to his agency, releases a counter statement to let everyone know why they came down.

Back in February, it was a common belief among GMs that Luck and Wilson would get $25 mil per. So for Wilson to end up with $3.1 mil less than that mark, and only $1.2 mil higher than the somewhat mediocre Cam Newton, it doesn't make Mark Rodgers look all that great does it?

I agree that there was definitely some spin on his message. There probably is some truth to it, but it's hard not to be cynical. Rodgers needed to excuse away what ended up being a lackluster negotiation on his part.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":202zzlle said:
Who knew that the new fad would be getting on Russell Wilson. Whatever gets you thru the day :th2thumbs:

There's a red under my bed,
there's a little yellow man in my head..................................The Kinks

Latest posts