Wilson's Speed/Quickness Yesterday

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":d2jl6n2x said:
JimmyG":d2jl6n2x said:
Lots of insecurity and strawman arguments, as expected. Jesus christ. I'm done. This place is absolutely insufferable.

Some of us have answered and discussed this with you, you're seeing what you want to see. Not sure why.

Yes Russell's slower, no he's not less effective. The stats show that out. Smarter, evolution, whatever you want to call it.

I think the problem is he wants him to be slower and less effective and truthfully the OP was very poorly worded, and geared toward a negative stance on Wilson going g so far as to blame him for a lot of the sacks, which is factually untrue

sprhawk73

Reaction score
RW is DangerRuss but his nickname probably should be roll out Russ because that is what he should do with that oline.

I thought those days might be gone but guess not.

If we don't find a run game and RW has lost a step it could turn out to be a really rough season.

I think both Carson and Penny are good backs but the aren't Beast level. They can't turn every 5 yards loss into 5 yard gain especially without any blockers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":3igo89a2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3igo89a2 said:
JimmyG":3igo89a2 said:
Lots of insecurity and strawman arguments, as expected. Jesus christ. I'm done. This place is absolutely insufferable.

Some of us have answered and discussed this with you, you're seeing what you want to see. Not sure why.

Yes Russell's slower, no he's not less effective. The stats show that out. Smarter, evolution, whatever you want to call it.

I think the problem is he wants him to be slower and less effective and truthfully the OP was very poorly worded, and geared toward a negative stance on Wilson going g so far as to blame him for a lot of the sacks, which is factually untrue

I'm hard on Russell, there were a couple time yesterday I thought he had enough room to turn out of the pocket and make something happen instead of getting sacked.

But that's easy for me to say from my couch. I'm not the one looking at guys like Atkins and Dunlop blowing our O-lineman three yards into the pocket while looking downfield.

So yeah, sometimes I wish Russ wasn't so hesitant and took more risks. But I understand Pete's burned it into Wilson's brain to not turn the ball over and make mistakes in our own end of the field.

Slower? yes. Less quick and allusive? Yes. Smarter, more efficient and just as explosive with big play potential as he's always been? Absolutely.

Which btw, is how a QB should evolve as his career moves along.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xioces6n said:
John63":xioces6n said:
Sgt. Largent":xioces6n said:
JimmyG":xioces6n said:

I'm hard on Russell, there were a couple time yesterday I thought he had enough room to turn out of the pocket and make something happen instead of getting sacked.

But that's easy for me to say from my couch. I'm not the one looking at guys like Atkins and Dunlop blowing our O-lineman three yards into the pocket while looking downfield.

So yeah, sometimes I wish Russ wasn't so hesitant and took more risks. But I understand Pete's burned it into Wilson's brain to not turn the ball over and make mistakes in our own end of the field.

Slower? yes. Less quick and allusive? Yes. Smarter, more efficient and just as explosive with big play potential as he's always been? Absolutely.

Which btw, is how a QB should evolve as his career moves along.

According to Jville, you cannot post this without a link.

I will report this to the authorities.

:snack:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26z5w8ge said:
JimmyG":26z5w8ge said:
Sgt. Largent":26z5w8ge said:
Not sure what you want from us, just about everyone on this thread has said yes Wilson has lost a step in both his speed and elusiveness.

That's what happens to 30 year old QB's, they age.
No, I mean, some people are replying legitimately, I just can't stand replies like the one I quoted. It's just frustrating when in the original post I preface it by saying "please do not let this devolve into a tangent that has nothing to do with the point" and then somebody replies almost verbatim to what I asked not to do

Obviously QBs age, it just seemed like a marked difference yesterday. I was just curious if other people noticed it too. This isn't just "he lost a step since his rookie year", this is "wow, this is a completely different player".

Different than what?

Russell's been at the same level of speed and quickness for a good 3-4 seasons. Even his "fat" year when Suh suplexed him and he was injured all year.

If Russell's going to continue to play at a high level he's going to have to be a better decision maker at the line and in the pocket, and the playcalling / schemes have to be better than we saw yesterday. Because Russell will always be accurate and make his timely downfield throws.....but if you're relying on him to scramble around and make the same explosive plays creating? THAT'S what's going to continue to diminish as he ages.

Excellent post with a reality check..
It is time for me to chime in with all due respect.
RW has clearly lost a couple of steps and it's happened faster than
I expected when I did not want him getting that contract because the
ability to change the game with his running was already going south.
However I am encouraged by what I saw in his short passes because
that is going to be what he needs if he is done as a runner.
As Sgt said above:The decisions have to be better and I'm adding
quicker.He needs to audible/change out of any stupid plays that you know
come from PC-He has the power so use it..I agree with all to dump the RO!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wv629dz said:
Sports Hernia":2wv629dz said:
For once I’d like to see them come out with an aggressive game plan and aggressive playcalling.

That'll never happen under Pete, unfortunately.

He even admitted during his presser today that he was stubborn again with wanting to run the ball, even though Cincy obviously gameplanned for it, as will every team we play.

I love Pete, but this is the one part of his coaching style/philosophy that drives me insane. His stubbornness and unwillingness to be more adaptable scheme and playcalling wise with the weaknesses of our opponents.
Probably right about that.

Football coaches are some of the most stubborn creatures walking on the earth.
I’m seeing it at the high school level as well. Drives me up the wall when coaches put leashes on their extremely talented players.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Guess who is slower at 30 than 22?

90% of people in the world and 100% of football players.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
rcaido":i56812uh said:
Maybe blame Ciara...Women weaken legs
Lol. Wilson hasn’t been fast since his junior year. His speed diminished in his fourth year due to injuries, getting old and overweight and you said it, Ciara.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is going to look slow if he is trying to find a player to throw too, I did not really see a decision to just take the ball and really go other then that play in the fourth and that wasn't a great indicator since they were trying to burn clock.

He is not going with the run at all cost mentality.

Fade

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":m74qjqv2 said:
I don’t think he looked slow speed wise but early on his detecting pocket pressure looked slow.
It got better as the game went on. I’m more concerned with lack of hot routes, passive gameplanning, and timid playcalling/

For once I’d like to see them come out with an aggressive game plan and aggressive playcalling.

Here is the thing, they do this when they play high powered offensive teams like KC last year. That is what is maddening, PC puts a tight leash on his offense when they play lesser opponents, then removes it against better ones.

Crazy Pete should just let his offense off the leash all of the time.

---On to Wilson's Speed---

Wilson doesn't have his rookie speed & agility. He was Barry Sanders playing QB back then, the most elusive QB I have ever seen, it was awesome.

He is still crafty, and can throw on the run better than anyone ever.

He will still have 400 yards rushing this year, which is better than most, and do Russell Wilson things, while being lights out in the 4th qtr. He is better reading the field, and playing from the pocket than he has ever been, and will only continue to get better.

The problem I am seeing is the offensive structure is archaic at times, and the O-Lines in front of him consistently grade poorly. Justin Britt with a 0.0 pass blocking grade against the Bengals? LOL. Fix those things and Wilson is winning MVPs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Would love to see them roll him out a lot more. It's maddening to have him sit in the pocket behind that pathetic pass "protection"

Washington49er

Reaction score
It's possible, I mean he's human, we age. So maybe he can't scramble as fast as before. When he starts looking like CJ Beathard then I'd start worrying.

John63

Reaction score
Whats funny to me is the guy had a 134 QB rating and 70% completion and people are complaining, and he did it behind what based on the play of the first game was the worse oline in the league, and with no run game and his top WR was a Rookie, in a system not built around him I think we should stop complaining about fictitious stuff and appreciate what we have. A QB that is the ultimate eraser of mistakes adn as clutch as there is. There are maybe only 1 or 2 QBs in the league that could succeed on this team, in this system.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Typical slow start and then gets it rolling. It's annoying but that's kind of the norm, especially early in the season.
He will need to have his head on a swivel on Sunday. The Steelers lead the league in sacks the last 2 seasons.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":2njkqvj8 said:
The problem I am seeing is the offensive structure is archaic at times, and the O-Lines in front of him consistently grade poorly. Justin Britt with a 0.0 pass blocking grade against the Bengals? LOL. Fix those things and Wilson is winning MVPs.

For all that John and Pete do well with evaluating, drafting and FA acquisitions, O-line is their one glaring deficiency.

Not sure why, cause they sure as hell try hard. But I don't have much faith after 8-9 years that we're ever going to figure the O-line out...........and I know we're not alone, it's by far the hardest position group to draft, acquire and keep talented players.

I mean, we were told all off season and through camp that our O-line is one of the strengths of the team, and it's probably in the bottom 10 in the league. That's a really bad indictment on how terrible it's been.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I would say Wilson looks about as fast as he has over the last 2-3 years. I noticed a speed/quickness fall off around year 5 but he's seemed pretty consistent since then. I would say he looked less decisive than he did compared to the end of last year, but at the same time looks about as unsettled as usual for the start of a new season. He normally starts fairly slow.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
John63":21sa49zi said:
Whats funny to me is the guy had a 134 QB rating and 70% completion and people are complaining, and he did it behind what based on the play of the first game was the worse oline in the league, and with no run game and his top WR was a Rookie, in a system not built around him I think we should stop complaining about fictitious stuff and appreciate what we have. A QB that is the ultimate eraser of mistakes adn as clutch as there is. There are maybe only 1 or 2 QBs in the league that could succeed on this team, in this system.
I’ve been insisting that Russ needs more say and control over play calling duties.
I would like to seek them take the leash off their playmaker.

Not a fan of Pete and Schotty’s play calling and offensive “philosophy” anymore.
They are not getting the full potential out of their offensive stars because of it IMHO.

D

DomeHawk

Sports Hernia":29peo5p9 said:
John63":29peo5p9 said:
I’ve been insisting that Russ needs more say and control over play calling duties.
I would like to seek them take the leash off their playmaker.

Not a fan of Pete and Schotty’s play calling and offensive “philosophy” anymore.
They are not getting the full potential out of their offensive stars because of it IMHO.

^^^^ I absolutely agree with this and have been saying for a while that Russ should have the ability to call plays.

It certainly can't be any worse.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
He did look a lot slower than before to me. As he always looked so elusive before, that "a lot" should in reality be "a little," but that was the appearance this last game. As he's aged, he's definitely lost a bit of his step. He also has lots of tape to study, as his little whirl-around escapes are fairly predictable. He was also operating from a very tight pocket in some of those instances, and it's hard to perform the same magic in a tight area.

I was surprised to see him run down as much as he was, and that's probably an indication of his overall speed and elusiveness, more study of his behavior by opposing players, and a line that looked like someone had turned all their Madden stats as low as they could go.

He makes up for it with knowledge and experience, but as he ages, like all NFL players, he's gonna slow down. They need to recognize this early, and do some things to mitigate that and help him stay on his feet. There were a couple of plays where I thought he should have kept the ball and run it himself instead of handing it to the running back. He's done it so infrequently the last couple of years, opposing teams seem to be simply focusing on the running back and assuming he'll get the ball. And they're right 99% of the time.