Wilson's Speed/Quickness Yesterday

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Some of his "slowness" can be attributed to the fact that there is plenty of game film on his 'escape' habits so the league knows which way he likes to turn. It's what the league does. Learn and adjust.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JimmyG":j4vn28i8 said:
Anyone else think Wilson looked really slow yesterday? On a few of those sacks he took he looked really slow and lethargic. Over time his cat-like agility has slowed down a bit, but yesterday was quite jarring for me. He looked like a totally different player.

A lot of sacks Wilson takes are because he holds onto the ball too long; regardless, sometimes that makes for really entertaining football, because he's dancing around and making defenders look silly. I can't remember any instances of his signature "Houdini escapability" yesterday, but maybe I'm just not remembering some.

I know about 70% of the replies in this thread are going to be "well you'd look slow too if you had no offensive line and defenders were in the backfield within .000001 milliseconds of the snap!" Even if you think the offensive line was terrible, the line being terrible and Wilson looking like he's lost some agility are not mutually exclusive. So please, spare me the apologetics, this isn't a discussion about our OL, it's about his quickness.

One hand washes the other...You want we should omit the pertinent facts, and to support your No One Is At Fault For Wilson's Problems, But Wilson Himself.....Sorry, but that's not possible.
You must be thinking that he should have what, intentionally Grounded The Ball, because the Defense was bitch-slapping our Offensive Line, and coming at him in a pincer formation, Time After Time After Time?
Atkins and his fellow attack dogs were under estimated, there should have been a MUCH BETTER Offensive Game Plan, That's NOT on Wilson Slowing Down, there isn't One Single Quarterback in the League that could have done any better.
Credit is due to the Bengals kick-ass Defensive Game plan.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping it was more the Bengals D Line than a crappy o-line. But I'm not exactly confident that is the case.
But come on, everything is Russ' fault. (relax, it's a joke)

OP
OP
JimmyG

JimmyG

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2rycke0r said:
JimmyG":2rycke0r said:
Anyone else think Wilson looked really slow yesterday? On a few of those sacks he took he looked really slow and lethargic. Over time his cat-like agility has slowed down a bit, but yesterday was quite jarring for me. He looked like a totally different player.

A lot of sacks Wilson takes are because he holds onto the ball too long; regardless, sometimes that makes for really entertaining football, because he's dancing around and making defenders look silly. I can't remember any instances of his signature "Houdini escapability" yesterday, but maybe I'm just not remembering some.

I know about 70% of the replies in this thread are going to be "well you'd look slow too if you had no offensive line and defenders were in the backfield within .000001 milliseconds of the snap!" Even if you think the offensive line was terrible, the line being terrible and Wilson looking like he's lost some agility are not mutually exclusive. So please, spare me the apologetics, this isn't a discussion about our OL, it's about his quickness.

One hand washes the other...You want we should omit the pertinent facts, and to support your No One Is At Fault For Wilson's Problems, But Wilson Himself.....Sorry, but that's not possible.
You must be thinking that he should have what, intentionally Grounded The Ball, because the Defense was bitch-slapping our Offensive Line, and coming at him in a pincer formation, Time After Time After Time?
Atkins and his fellow attack dogs were under estimated, there should have been a MUCH BETTER Offensive Game Plan, That's NOT on Wilson Slowing Down, there isn't One Single Quarterback in the League that could have done any better.
Credit is due to the Bengals kick-ass Defensive Game plan.
Thanks for the contributing literally nothing, and coming off as the exact caricature I described in the original post.

Right there, clear as day, in the original post I said "the line being terrible and Wilson looking like he's lost some agility are not mutually exclusive".

Good lord it's hard to have a discussion on this board sometimes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JimmyG":3pe9uju7 said:
Good lord it's hard to have a discussion on this board sometimes.

Not sure what you want from us, just about everyone on this thread has said yes Wilson has lost a step in both his speed and elusiveness.

That's what happens to 30 year old QB's, they age.

OP
OP
JimmyG

JimmyG

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22qote5x said:
Not sure what you want from us, just about everyone on this thread has said yes Wilson has lost a step in both his speed and elusiveness.

No, I mean, some people are replying legitimately, I just can't stand replies like the one I quoted. It's just frustrating when in the original post I preface it by saying "please do not let this devolve into a tangent that has nothing to do with the point" and then somebody replies almost verbatim to what I asked not to do

Obviously QBs age, it just seemed like a marked difference yesterday. I was just curious if other people noticed it too. This isn't just "he lost a step since his rookie year", this is "wow, this is a completely different player".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JimmyG":fd7sgd1r said:
Sgt. Largent":fd7sgd1r said:

No, I mean, some people are replying legitimately, I just can't stand replies like the one I quoted. It's just frustrating when in the original post I preface it by saying "please do not let this devolve into a tangent that has nothing to do with the point" and then somebody replies almost verbatim to what I asked not to do

Obviously QBs age, it just seemed like a marked difference yesterday. I was just curious if other people noticed it too. This isn't just "he lost a step since his rookie year", this is "wow, this is a completely different player".

Different than what?

Russell's been at the same level of speed and quickness for a good 3-4 seasons. Even his "fat" year when Suh suplexed him and he was injured all year.

If Russell's going to continue to play at a high level he's going to have to be a better decision maker at the line and in the pocket, and the playcalling / schemes have to be better than we saw yesterday. Because Russell will always be accurate and make his timely downfield throws.....but if you're relying on him to scramble around and make the same explosive plays creating? THAT'S what's going to continue to diminish as he ages.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
LOL.

Did he look fast on that long run against the Vikings game? No, but fast enough

Did he look fast on that long run in the preseason, before Jennings blind sided that player?

Wilson will never gain back his rookie burst. But he's replaced that athleticism with accuracy and his arm. And he's still mobile enough to make plays with his legs. What exactly is the issue here??

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's Russell Wilson. That must be the issue?
Of course he's not gonna' have the same speed he had his first few years. But he's a better all around QB now than he has been.

OP
OP
JimmyG

JimmyG

Reaction score
Lots of insecurity and strawman arguments, as expected. Jesus christ. I'm done. This place is absolutely insufferable.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
We need to stop running the read option. Wilson never keeps it anymore and the defense doesn't respect it. They are just crashing down on the rb and ignoring Wilson.

They know, we know, everyone knows that our 30 million dollar man is not being the runner on the read option.

Might as well just put Carson in the eye formation with a lead blocker and let him pound the defense. It would be more effective.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JimmyG":1hm15sjr said:
Lots of insecurity and strawman arguments, as expected. Jesus christ. I'm done. This place is absolutely insufferable.

Some of us have answered and discussed this with you, you're seeing what you want to see. Not sure why.

Yes Russell's slower, no he's not less effective. The stats show that out. Smarter, evolution, whatever you want to call it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t think he looked slow speed wise but early on his detecting pocket pressure looked slow.
It got better as the game went on. I’m more concerned with lack of hot routes, passive gameplanning, and timid playcalling/

For once I’d like to see them come out with an aggressive game plan and aggressive playcalling.

John63

Reaction score
JimmyG":3qv0msho said:

So some of what you say is true, some kind of true, some not at all true. Before I get into hat the reality is "Even if you think the offensive line was terrible, the line being terrible and Wilson looking like he's lost some agility are not mutually exclusive." this is untrue if the oline is as bad as they were yesterday, and he has no clue were they will come or when it will make him hesitate which will look like he is being slow to react and there for not allow him to get to full speed.

So true first he was a little slower looking at times, but at times he looked fine. he was able to scramble and make some plays and did a couple of Houdini's yesterday

The kind of true obviously he is not as fast as he was, however he is still as quick, those 2 things are not the same.

The not true, no sorry alot of the sacks are not on Wilson, ESPN did an analysis of last years sacks and only 5 were on Wilson the rest were on other factors. None of the Sacks yesterday were on Wilson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1mtfzeeh said:
For once I’d like to see them come out with an aggressive game plan and aggressive playcalling.

That'll never happen under Pete, unfortunately.

He even admitted during his presser today that he was stubborn again with wanting to run the ball, even though Cincy obviously gameplanned for it, as will every team we play.

I love Pete, but this is the one part of his coaching style/philosophy that drives me insane. His stubbornness and unwillingness to be more adaptable scheme and playcalling wise with the weaknesses of our opponents.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, it's beyond maddening. I picture him folding his arms and says "we are a running team, so there"
At some point you have to adjust.

Seymour

Reaction score
JimmyG":1kfmpj4j said:

You rang??
:lol:

First off. It's not uncommon for people to read a title and post without reading the entire first post. Everyone does it, and zero tolerance for this is "bad on you".

2nd. Trying to "tell people" what they can and can't post is a poor idea as you also found out.

Now that said. Wilson is still quicker than a cat can lick his ass, and even in his rookie season there were LB's and DE's that are faster than his 4.55 40 speed. Wagner and Irvin are 2 that come to mind, and there are others that will make him "appear" slower.

Wilson......4.55
Bobby Wagner.....4.46
Bruce Irvin.....4.50
Jadeveon Clowney 4.53

Those are just recent Seahawks that could outrun Wilson in his prime. There are a few big players on every team that can also.

So just to say he looks slower is plain silly with so many variables, so don't expect everyone to buy into this arguement. :177692:

Yes, he did look indecisive at times when boxed in, which in turn would translate to slower by most observers.

John63

Reaction score
JimmyG":2qhiugao said:

Good bye.