Wisniewski visiting Seattle

getnasty

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3cd3pa4f said:
^ This could be a case of a "report" just being dead wrong. I'm reading other people guessing it'll be closer to $6M APY.

This sounds about right.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kobebryant":2mf9rvwr said:
25 years old and a great fit. A long-term investment, so you don't care as much about it hurting the comp pick equation.
No bigz on the comp pick. Wiz would be a long-term solution. Very much worth it.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
getnasty":3u1qd1y7 said:
Why would one of the best centers in the league only be looking for 3 million a year? Something tells me this is not the case.

Ranked 22 out of 41.. Not exactly "one of the best" territory but I do believe he is a very solid player. Would love the addition. Especially at 3mil annually.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Cable might be able to turn him into a great Center. Raiders still uses the Zone Blocking Scheme so already he's familiar with it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1zbkjccn said:
He is a very average player.
The question is how much upside does he have left? I think he's young enough to improve and he will have Cable to coach him up, after all. If we can sign him to a deal comparable to his performance, that's fine by me, especially if there's still competition. I just like that he at least has some experience.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Unger was aging and injury prone. Seahawks continue to try and get younger.

PFF graded out as #4 C in 2013, don't know about last year.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Just for some perspective, I decided to do some research on rankings of centers throughout the NFL. Here was Athlon Sports' list from this past year (FWIW) ...

Athlon Sports Ranking of NFL's Best Centers (2014) ...
1] Alex Mack -- Cleveland Browns
2] Jason Kelce -- Philadelphia Eagles
3] John Sullivan -- Minnesota Vikings
4] Dominic Raoila -- Detroit Lions
5] Manny Ramirez -- Denver Broncos
6] Evan Dietrich-Smith -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7] Chris Myers -- Houston Texans
8] Travis Frederick -- Dallas Cowboys
9] Ryan Kalil -- Carolina Panthers
10] Stefen Wisniewski -- Oakland Raiders
11] Mike Pouncey -- Miami Dolphins
12] Robert Garza -- Chicago Bears
13] Nick Hardwick -- San Diego Chargers
14] Nick Mangold -- New York Jets
15] Jonathan Goodwin -- New Orleans Saints
16] Will Montgomery -- Denver Broncos
17] Brian de la Puente -- Chicago Bears
18] Rodney Hudson -- Kansas City Chiefs
19] Max Unger -- Seattle Seahawks
20] Jeremy Zuttah -- Baltimore Ravens
Source:
http://athlonsports.com/nfl/2014-nfl-player-rankings-offensive-linemen

Matt Miller of NFLDraftScout.com, who also writes for Bleacher Report (still slight blech because it's still Bleacher Report, though BR is getting a bit better with guys like Miller and Jason Cole) also has his own rankings list that pretty much dovetails with that of Athlon Sports. Here is how Miller sees it ...

1] Alex Mack -- Cleveland Browns
2] Jason Kelce -- Philadelphia Eagles
3] Dominic Raoila -- Detroit Lions
4] John Sullivan -- Minnesota Vikings
5] Evan Dietrich-Smith -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6] Mike Pouncey -- Miami Dolphins
7] Manny Ramirez -- Denver Broncos
8] Robert Garza -- Chicago Bears
9] Stefen Wisniewski -- Oakland Raiders
10] Chris Myers -- Houston Texans
11] Ryan Kalil -- Carolina Panthers
12] Travis Frederick -- Dallas Cowboys
13] Jonathan Goodwin -- New Orleans Saints
14] Nick Hardwick -- San Diego Chargers
15] Will Montgomery -- Denver Broncos
16] Nick Mangold -- New York Jets
17] Max Unger -- Seattle Seahawks
18] Rodney Hudson -- Kansas City Chiefs
19] Brian de la Puente -- Chicago Bears
20] Eric Wood -- Buffalo Bills
Source:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949460-br-nfl-1000-top-34-centers

However you slice it, Wisniewski for Unger would be a fairly significant upgrade at the center position if the Hawks can get that deal done.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
PFF gives him a grade of 3.5, but he took a dip in the pass protection given a -5.6 grade for 2014

Hawks46

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2ri6vwxo said:
Crazy what I'm seeing from Raiders fan's comment. Most are saying that Wiz (this is the nickname they gave him) isn't worth the average $3 million a year that 14 other starting centers are making. He was ranked 22nd last year due to some snap and fumble issues but was ranked 11th in 2013 and 17th in 2014.

They mention that Wiz should be taking less to stay and thinking about winning a Championship and not chasing the money.....well if that's their thought then Wiz can actually get both with us.

Gotta love Raiders fans. They actually said Championship and Raiders in the same sentence ?

Maybe I can see the sentence "The Raiders will never win a Championship while in Oakland"

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
theincrediblesok":3tl5rsjf said:
Crazy what I'm seeing from Raiders fan's comment. Most are saying that Wiz (this is the nickname they gave him) isn't worth the average $3 million a year that 14 other starting centers are making. He was ranked 22nd last year due to some snap and fumble issues but was ranked 11th in 2013 and 17th in 2014.

They mention that Wiz should be taking less to stay and thinking about winning a Championship and not chasing the money.....well if that's their thought then Wiz can actually get both with us.

Yes, yes, Wiz should stay in Oakland where he could win a championship rather than to follow the money and have no shot at one in Seattle. Makes sense to me! Well, if I suspend belief for a second.

Also as odd, fans here are rejoicing because we got rid of Max Unger because he had snap issues, but are clamoring to bring in a guy who had "some snap and fumble issues" last year. I realize, yes, different rankings, different pay structures, etc., etc., but the logic disconnect is still apparent.

Sac

Reaction score
I don't think anyone was rejoicing that Unger is gone, just not overly heartbroken about it considering what we got in return.