Wisniewski visiting Seattle

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2whv00ta said:
Hawkscanner":2whv00ta said:
Just for some perspective, I decided to do some research on rankings of centers throughout the NFL.

Not all C, but people's opinions on top 5. Unger got a few shout outs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... p?t=562875

A few shout outs for sure. Still, all things being equal I'd rather go with the younger Wisniewski. And he's going to be here in Seattle for his visit with the Seahawks tomorrow ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/575888858182590464[/tweet]

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":hh8qj2mj said:
kobebryant":hh8qj2mj said:
25 years old and a great fit. A long-term investment, so you don't care as much about it hurting the comp pick equation.
No bigz on the comp pick. Wiz would be a long-term solution. Very much worth it.
No "bigz" on a probable 3rd rounder? I'm not sure I agree with that

firebee

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ia9ne6s8 said:
theincrediblesok":ia9ne6s8 said:
Crazy what I'm seeing from Raiders fan's comment. Most are saying that Wiz (this is the nickname they gave him) isn't worth the average $3 million a year that 14 other starting centers are making. He was ranked 22nd last year due to some snap and fumble issues but was ranked 11th in 2013 and 17th in 2014.

They mention that Wiz should be taking less to stay and thinking about winning a Championship and not chasing the money.....well if that's their thought then Wiz can actually get both with us.

Yes, yes, Wiz should stay in Oakland where he could win a championship rather than to follow the money and have no shot at one in Seattle. Makes sense to me! Well, if I suspend belief for a second.

Also as odd, fans here are rejoicing because we got rid of Max Unger because he had snap issues, but are clamoring to bring in a guy who had "some snap and fumble issues" last year. I realize, yes, different rankings, different pay structures, etc., etc., but the logic disconnect is still apparent.

Oh... I'm sorry... issues with fumbling snaps you say??? I just wanted him brought in to provide some depth at Center. I'm completely comfortable with Lemuel Pierre playing Center. What I really want Wisniewski here for is LEFT GUARD!!! Poof... snap and fumble issues not an issue.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":145j7pvt said:
theincrediblesok":145j7pvt said:
Crazy what I'm seeing from Raiders fan's comment. Most are saying that Wiz (this is the nickname they gave him) isn't worth the average $3 million a year that 14 other starting centers are making. He was ranked 22nd last year due to some snap and fumble issues but was ranked 11th in 2013 and 17th in 2014.

They mention that Wiz should be taking less to stay and thinking about winning a Championship and not chasing the money.....well if that's their thought then Wiz can actually get both with us.

Yes, yes, Wiz should stay in Oakland where he could win a championship rather than to follow the money and have no shot at one in Seattle. Makes sense to me! Well, if I suspend belief for a second.

Also as odd, fans here are rejoicing because we got rid of Max Unger because he had snap issues, but are clamoring to bring in a guy who had "some snap and fumble issues" last year. I realize, yes, different rankings, different pay structures, etc., etc., but the logic disconnect is still apparent.
Who was rejoicing the fact that we got rid of Unger?

Being happy we got Jimmy Graham in return does not equal being happy Unger is gone...

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":26470ov2 said:
dontbelikethat":26470ov2 said:
Hawkscanner":26470ov2 said:
Just for some perspective, I decided to do some research on rankings of centers throughout the NFL.

Not all C, but people's opinions on top 5. Unger got a few shout outs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... p?t=562875

A few shout outs for sure. Still, all things being equal I'd rather go with the younger Wisniewski. And he's going to be here in Seattle for his visit with the Seahawks tomorrow ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/575888858182590464[/tweet]

I'm happy with either, and definitely don't mind going younger at the position. Plus also got Graham now. Was just adding more perspective.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3f6du9of said:
If the Hawks get a deal done with Wiz then in instantly makes the Graham trade friggen amazing.

And give them a lot more freedom in the draft.

seachickenfan1

Reaction score
Wow. . . . I'm not sure what else we could ask for, if we get Wiz signed? The Hawks get Graham one of the best 3rd down/Red Zone threats in the game! Period! And yes losing Unger hurts a true Hawks fans heart, but at the end of the day this is a business, and now we are hot on the heels of a younger Olineman that can be a versatile C/G (you know P&J love that), he has proven to be durable ++++++! Get tbis deal done! And granted we don't have our 1sr rd pick (jimmy well worth our 1st @31, with a weak TE class imo) with 10-11 picks in pete&john I trust to score 1-3 studs + 1-3 sold depth prospects. Just sit back and enjoy the ride hawk fans, I mean hell we are one horrible call from being repeat champs. :141847_bnono: Don't stress your brain on what move p&j have up their sleeves or who they are drafting where, you'll be wrong 99% of the time. Dynasty in the making fellas, Go Hawks!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3r3rabwy said:
Just for some perspective, I decided to do some research on rankings of centers throughout the NFL. Here was Athlon Sports' list from this past year (FWIW) ...

Athlon Sports Ranking of NFL's Best Centers (2014) ...
1] Alex Mack -- Cleveland Browns
2] Jason Kelce -- Philadelphia Eagles
3] John Sullivan -- Minnesota Vikings
4] Dominic Raoila -- Detroit Lions
5] Manny Ramirez -- Denver Broncos
6] Evan Dietrich-Smith -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7] Chris Myers -- Houston Texans
8] Travis Frederick -- Dallas Cowboys
9] Ryan Kalil -- Carolina Panthers
10] Stefen Wisniewski -- Oakland Raiders
11] Mike Pouncey -- Miami Dolphins
12] Robert Garza -- Chicago Bears
13] Nick Hardwick -- San Diego Chargers
14] Nick Mangold -- New York Jets
15] Jonathan Goodwin -- New Orleans Saints
16] Will Montgomery -- Denver Broncos
17] Brian de la Puente -- Chicago Bears
18] Rodney Hudson -- Kansas City Chiefs
19] Max Unger -- Seattle Seahawks
20] Jeremy Zuttah16- Baltimore Ravens
Source:
http://athlonsports.com/nfl/2014-nfl-player-rankings-offensive-linemen

Matt Miller of NFLDraftScout.com, who also writes for Bleacher Report (still slight blech because it's still Bleacher Report, though BR is getting a bit better with guys like Miller and Jason Cole) also has his own rankings list that pretty much dovetails with that of Athlon Sports. Here is how Miller sees it ...

1] Alex Mack -- Cleveland Browns
2] Jason Kelce -- Philadelphia Eagles
3] Dominic Raoila -- Detroit Lions
4] John Sullivan -- Minnesota Vikings
5] Evan Dietrich-Smith -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6] Mike Pouncey -- Miami Dolphins
7] Manny Ramirez -- Denver Broncos
8] Robert Garza -- Chicago Bears
9] Stefen Wisniewski -- Oakland Raiders
10] Chris Myers -- Houston Texans
11] Ryan Kalil -- Carolina Panthers
12] Travis Frederick -- Dallas Cowboys
13] Jonathan Goodwin -- New Orleans Saints
14] Nick Hardwick -- San Diego Chargers
15] Will Montgomery -- Denver Broncos
16] Nick Mangold -- New York Jets
17] Max Unger -- Seattle Seahawks
18] Rodney Hudson -- Kansas City Chiefs
19] Brian de la Puente -- Chicago Bears
20] Eric Wood -- Buffalo Bills
Source:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949460-br-nfl-1000-top-34-centers

However you slice it, Wisniewski for Unger would be a fairly significant upgrade at the center position if the Hawks can get that deal done.

I rather have Chris Myers on a 2 year deal, who ranks 7 and 10 on these lists, to stop-gap and mentor a center of Cable's choosing, Lewis or not.

But what Wiz does have is experience and upside, not a lot of linemen come to you at 25 with 4 Years of starting experience. Moffitt came into the league at 24 years old.

You really can't teach that experience, he's a vet and yet he's still highly coachable, and capable of being molded into something better.

If he's only looking for 3 per year, and the Seahawks want him enough, I would do a 5 yr, 17m deal + 5 m SB. 4.4 apy.

Cap Hits
'15: 2
'16: 4
'17: 5
'18: 5
'19: 6

You likely cancel out the Carp comp.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
If Jonathan Goodwin is rated #13 and #15, both ahead of Unger, why did they need a center?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Jonathan Goodwin was on a one year deal and 36 years old, plus the running game wasn't oing well, think that's why they wanted Unger.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This guy was basically drafted by the Raiders because his uncle played for them and the family name is well respected within that org... and they've decided to let him walk to spend $8m on a replacement.

That bothers me a bit.

original poster

Reaction score
I hope we get him.

I think if we sign him it would put this free agency period down as the most successful (and not to mention exciting!) in a long time.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
25 years old, clearly more athletic than Unger, will continue to improve with guidance from Cable. Bonus: Short enough for Wilson to see over. What's not to like?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1tw1apfp said:
HawKnPeppa":1tw1apfp said:
kobebryant":1tw1apfp said:
25 years old and a great fit. A long-term investment, so you don't care as much about it hurting the comp pick equation.
No bigz on the comp pick. Wiz would be a long-term solution. Very much worth it.
Lose a 3rd round comp pick for a proven-starting Center. Yes no big deal. Chew, chew, step... chew, chew, step.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawk scanner - that helps with perspective - thanks. Also wow Browns have the top rated center and the top rated LT?

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3bkak53g said:
HawKnPeppa":3bkak53g said:
kobebryant":3bkak53g said:

If it means getting a starting center for the next 5 years?

Ozzy

Reaction score
On paper this would be an upgrade from Unger when factoring in the injuries and age. If they get this done the draft should be a lot of fun and I think/hope they throw a couple of darts hoping to land 1-2 difference makers in the WR room as well as their usual draft capitol on the lines, CB etc. Love what they are trying to do this off season after making two straight SB's. No finish line.