Witherspoon Signed 31.86m

Fade

Reaction score
Excellent news this didn't drag out. The last rookie holdout was Zach Wilson of the Jets.

Now let's hope he wins the starting job.

NoGain

Reaction score
He's on a rookie contract now and under team control for some years now. Over. Done. Fading fast in the rear view mirror already.

knownone

Reaction score
Was
Past tense.
Isn’t any longer.
You missed the point. The person I quoted asked where the people who were worried are now. The implication is that it was a non-story at the time they were worrying; thus, I'm describing the situation in the present tense to show that it is a type of story worth worrying about.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yup no longer have to worry for 4 years.

pmedic920

Reaction score
You missed the point. The person I quoted asked where the people who were worried are now. The implication is that it was a non-story at the time they were worrying; thus, I'm describing the situation in the present tense to show that it is a type of story worth worrying about.
It’s all good.

We got the kid signed, I’m just glad it’s actually not a story anymore.

sutz

Reaction score
Excellent news this didn't drag out. The last rookie holdout was Zach Wilson of the Jets.

Now let's hope he wins the starting job.
Well, barring the dreaded I-word, he will be one of the top 3, which any more is a "starter" anyway. :)

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Paid the man, now everybody get back to work. Time to take care of business (looks like Geno/JSN are off to a nice start).

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate that the business side has become so public.

I wish him the best.

LTH

Reaction score
I got an issue with the hold out. I think it was a selfish act and mark my words we will see selfishness from spoon in the future.

Mick063

Reaction score
I got an issue with the hold out. I think it was a selfish act and mark my words we will see selfishness from spoon in the future.
Agents 101:

a) Agents have to sell themselves to a new rookie class each and every year.

b) Part of their pitch comes from demonstrating that they achieved "wins" from negotiating for the previous rookie class. This is relatively hard to do because the rookie contracts are so rigidly structured that there are only a couple avenues to get that "win."

c) The Agent's rookie clients are typically clueless about the process and basically hand over almost all the decision making over to the agent. The agents tell their rookie clients to concentrate on football and they will take care of the negotiations.

d) The agent, his rookie client, and the team all know ahead of time that the contract will be signed within the first week of camp. There simply aren't that many negotiating points for them to work out.

e) The team is fully aware that the agent is just posturing (resume building) for his sales pitch to the next year's rookie crop.

f) The team plays along with this game by letting the agent do his business posturing, but they also let him know that there is a definite time threshold where they will start to become pissed. The team will do him this favor, give him a couple of days, and know that good faith negotiations will resultantly take place for the agent's more expensive veteran clients. Basically, building a working professional relationship that goes beyond a given single player. You can count on one hand the number of agents that the team will do this for.

g) The rookie client (player) begins to feel anxiety about missing camp, upsetting the fan base, sticking out like a sore thumb to the media, and being incessantly asked about his contract negotiations. The kid is excited about finally living his dream and he hates the distraction. In the end, the team doesn't have to apply pressure to the agent because the player inevitably will. The team knows this. The agent knows this.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Good that they got it done. Considering most of the picks before him got the entire bonus up front, I'd say he had something worth holding out a couple days for. This is 20 mil we're talking about in a league where it's extremely common for your career (and hope of earning any more money) to end instantly due to catastrophic injury.

I don't think there's any animosity, but it is an embarrassing headline for the front office - and usually this is an org that avoids that type of thing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It saddens me that some are so quick to judge Spoon so harshly without having any actual details of the situation. Pete didn’t seem too fussed about it, so why are you? It’s not as if the guy kidnapped someone, killed someone, etc.

He’s in camp now. It’s all good.