Witherspoon

bileever

Reaction score
Pat Kirwan on Sirius XM radio said that the player Witherspoon reminded him of was Darrell Green--fast, tenacious, great against the run.

Green was also 5' 10" and 180 lbs. And he played until he was 42, unheard of for a cornerback. He's in the HOF.

Chevy

Reaction score
Pat Kirwan on Sirius XM radio said that the player Witherspoon reminded him of was Darrell Green--fast, tenacious, great against the run.

Green was also 5' 10" and 180 lbs. And he played until he was 42, unheard of for a cornerback. He's in the HOF.
Witherspoon is his own man, unique! Green was strack star fast and had good ball skills. Green didn't hit dudes like Witherspoon, Spoon takes offensive players souls when he hits them. Witherspoon does not have a comparisons to any former CBs in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Bad comp btw. Sanders hated contact and tackling. Maybe on the savvy, instincts and juice he brought to the defense? Yeah, I'd compare Spoon to that part of Deion's game.

But the violence and physicality? I'd say Pete' still come the closest to comp'ing Witherspoon. A Troy Polamalu in a defensive back's body.
They didn't call him "Bullet Bob"for nothing..The year the Colts won the SB
I'd argue he had the best season on that team.
He loved to hit and paid for it lasting not many seasons..
I think your thinking of Prime because he hated contact ect.

keasley45

Reaction score
Read the words and don't make shit up. The words speak for themselves.

Don't tell me what I intended with what I said. Wtf? I don't care one way or another what was intended with the post. Save your passive aggressive nonsense for someone else, or something that's remotely important in life.

Falls flat on its face? Don't make shit up? Who TF are you? It's a fan site. It's an opinion someone posted.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
FWIW, Pro-football-reference.com has Carter's defensive snaps at 48%... not 25%.

Link... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartJa05.htm

You're correct, of course, and I've gone and edited the original comment and added a note about the edit.

I'm really embarrassed I posted that without checking the numbers first. That's shameful, especially for somebody with as much academic background as I have.

Carter has played about 48% of the Eagles' defensive snaps so far, and consistently so - his snap counts have not been below 45% or above 50% in any of his four NFL games so far.

My point still stands with the correct numbers, though. If they both stay healthy, Witherspoon can be expected to get on the field for a large fraction of the Seahawks' defensive snap counts (it's been 100% through three games, but he did miss a game), while Carter should be expected to participate in about half the Eagle's defensive snap counts. A player who's on the field twice as much has more opportunities to affect the outcome of the game.

This has gotten me thinking a lot about valuations of players in the draft. One factor that I ought to consider more in comparing different potential draft picks is how much a given player will actually be able to get on the field and contribute, and specifically, the part of that that comes from potential percentages of team snap counts. I suspect that if you were to use a statistical model ("machine learning" if you prefer a catchphrase for the same thing) to extract how different teams' front offices have been measuring the value of potential draft picks, there are probably teams that don't properly take into account this detail of positional value (or others), and there are very likely to be arbitrage opportunities (OK, StatArb opportunities) that arise from that. There are good ways to work around that, by using expectation values of metrics that attempt to measure total on-the-field value, like DYAR, AV, or EPA, but I'm wondering if there might be ways to extract more details about exactly how a given team might be expected to undervalue or overvalue certain positions, and if there are teams that might not be giving enough weight to expected snap counts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll say it yet again, it IS OK that we got a great one in Spoon AND the Eagle's might have picked a great one in Carter. The comparisons are ridiculous.
If Spoon hasn't shown how damn good he is, he never will. At least to a select few who may continue to whine about a GREAT pick by the Hawks.
This kid is ridiculous, and he's only 3 games in to his NFL career. He's going to get so much better.

Jac

Reaction score
I'll say it yet again, it IS OK that we got a great one in Spoon AND the Eagle's might have picked a great one in Carter. The comparisons are ridiculous.
If Spoon hasn't shown how damn good he is, he never will. At least to a select few who may continue to whine about a GREAT pick by the Hawks.
This kid is ridiculous, and he's only 3 games in to his NFL career. He's going to get so much better.
It is. And both things can be (and currently are) true. Carter wasn't even a topic in this thread until a poster taunted others with "why are Carter fans so quiet now?", then others started piling on with illogical stats comparisons.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They didn't call him "Bullet Bob"for nothing..The year the Colts won the SB
I'd argue he had the best season on that team.
He loved to hit and paid for it lasting not many seasons..
I think your thinking of Prime because he hated contact ect.

I thought Deion is who they were talking about, Peyton even commented on the same #21.

Rat

Reaction score
Then why are you defending Carter like your very life depends on it.
Yeah, the hostages arent going to let my parents go until they're sure you understand why their sack numbers aren't comparable.

If I was THAT invested in it, I'd be cherry-picking stats like you.

Both are fantastic. We're lucky to have one; we'd also be in great shape with the other. Praise of one is not condemnation of the other.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
We dig our guy, they dig their guy.
Good enough.
It's inconsequential anyway. The Eagles will probably trade him to us for Cobe Bryant to take advantage of his superior tackle numbers. Not sure what else we'll throw in to bridge the gap.

Weadoption

Reaction score
that early game hit on that running back is literally amazing. Watch that running backs forward momentum literally reverse course backwards as if a 250 lb middle linebacker from 1986 hit him. That kind of pop is a skill. I can see why he is up on the LOS.

bileever

Reaction score
As usual, there are a handful of first-round picks that have really stood out, and a bunch that look like they might be busts. Let's just be thankful we got one of the good ones.

JSN has yet to really break out, but it's still early. Who would have thought that 5th rounder Puka Nacua would be the leading receiver (by far) among this year's rookie WRs? He already has 39 catches for 501 yards. Zay Flowers is second, with 24 catches for 244 yards. JSN has 12 for 62.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
JSN"s issue is all Geno as soon as Lock was in he immediately targeted JSN downfield it's not his fault Lock threw a pretty off target ball. As for Spoon he's definitely special I'd feel better if he were a bit heavier but elite special players many times have unique body types that aren't and never will be the norm. Aaron Donald comes to mind.

Geno just needs to develop that relationship and I believe he will if he has any idea what is good for him. Just give it a little time guys if Lock figured it out I'm pretty sure Geno will.

Top quarterbacks spread the targets around like Mahomes etc. or are in the ultimate system with top tier options everywhere like Purdy.. Don't be mad that Purdy isn't stupid be mad Shanahan is here long-term and way after Pete might be alive let alone here or the NFL.

Coaches like Belichick and Pete being with the same team for 15-20 years is unheard of unless you go back 50 years and further not even Andy Reid stayed with a single team as long as Belichick or Pete and his accomplishments are right with both of them.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like Geno's fire, but he needs to chill out and not get 15-yard penalties. If DK did that, people would lose their sh**
I know he was mad, but a QB taunting and/or freaking out isn't helping the team one bit. Huge gain, then he gives them 15 right back.