Witherspoon

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My argument is that Carter has been excellent, so yes, I'm using stats applicable to his position to defend his play at that position. Similarly, if I were examining whether Jarran Reed has been a good FA signing, I wouldn't rip on him for his lack of INTs, but I would look at advanced run-stopping numbers.

I'm not ripping Carter for his lack of INT's, I'm ripping him for his lack of sacks and solo tackles.

He's been great for a rookie btw, probably will be a great pick in the end. Especially on that line with those teammates. Me thinks he'd probably have even less stats on our line not playing next to 2-3 All Pro's.

As I said above, I'm not an either/or fan like you and others. Both picks can be, and so far have looked great.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Why can't we? Some people are using sacks as the primary value factor while ignoring pressures and other more essential pass rush stats. And following that logic, the Jamal Adams trade was a fantastic deal for the Seahawks. He had more sacks than Chris Jones, Jeffery Simmons, and almost as many as Aaron Donald in 2020.
Because the thread is about Witherspoon.....

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Are DTs supposed to rack up tackles? There are literally only two DTs in the top 100 in tackles right now: Harrison Phillips is tied for 58th while Derrick Brown is tied for 80th. Yet, somehow Carter having low tackle numbers is a "checkmate" argument?

The Carter fans around here wanted the Seahawks to use the #5 overall pick on a player who's participating in around 25% half (see edit note below) of his team's defensive snaps. The Seahawks instead used it on a guy who can play the whole game and contribute much more to the defense.

EDIT NOTE: I have no excuse for not checking the numbers before posting this comment. I apologize. I was wrong when I said 25% and I'm really embarrassed I didn't go check it before posting. However, the point still stands with the corrected numbers. Witherspoon can play about double the fraction of his team's defensive snaps that Carter can play. This is actually an interesting point about which I've been thinking more lately - the valuation of a player in the draft ought to take into account what fraction of his team's snaps a given player should be expected to play.

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score

Sims giving Seattle and the Lions some huge props. Saying they're dangerous and can be very dangerous in the playoffs. Out of all the NFC to upset everyone (Eagles, 49ers, Dall-ass) its Seattle and then the Lions.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score

keasley45

Reaction score

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I think the 25% is accurate in terms of overall time on the field. So it's true,
but considering no defensive player is ever on the field more 50% overall +/_ , it's a little misleading.

50 % of defensive snaps = 25% overall.
FWIW, go back and re-read post #203... and I quote... "The Carter fans around here wanted the Seahawks to use the #5 overall pick on a player who's participating in around 25% of his team's defensive snaps." (emphasis added)

You rationalization of the 25% falls flat on its face. That isn't what he said.

keasley45

Reaction score
FWIW, go back and re-read post #203... and I quote... "The Carter fans around here wanted the Seahawks to use the #5 overall pick on a player who's participating in around 25% of his team's defensive snaps." (emphasis added)

You rationalization of the 25% falls flat on its face. That isn't what he said.

Easy bud. I wasn't trying to defend anything. Was just guessing and what he meant. No need to get all huffy.

Latest posts