Within reason which fa's do you want the Hawks to get?

Largent80

Reaction score
If were talking OL I would snag Zeitler. I'm not sold on Glowinski at this moment. He is developing however.

penihawk

Reaction score
Would love to get a vet to help the DL & OL'S so we can go to the draft in search of corners,safety and lb/edge. Nick Fairley and Okung or Beachum on the right deals. Not against Charles on a a deal full of incentives that we can cut him in camp if it becomes apparent he is done or not healthy again.

Own The West

Reaction score
I want to sign Revis, 1 yr - $6M. He's already getting $7M from the Jets, so that'd put in him in line with Sherman's $13M.

Respect is what Revis wants most. Put him across from Sherman and see who's side gets thrown at more. How can he refuse a chance to prove who's the best?

RussB

Reaction score
Well im just pissed now. Rams took whitworth and hawks dont do anything again. A damn division rival taking who hawks were supposed to. Prepare for another shit season on offense pete isnt gonna do anything about the o line. Apparently hes interested in old broken down runningbacks like jamal charles who hasnt even played the past 2 years.

Im sorry guys i can already see whats coming, the offense will be just as bad and will be the downfall once again. I am not overreacting, just seems to me they dont care to address the teams main issue. Detroit seems to have interest in remmers too so there is another tackle gone.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm mainly hoping for value picks. My short list of guys that I feel could come in and compete to help some of our weaknesses are:

Connor Barwin as 4th pass rusher and SLB
Menelik Watson as competition at tackle and as depth
Stephen Paea as competition at 3T and backup DE/DT

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I like Charles. Also, now that most of the tackles are gone, one of the upper tier guards would be nice. Maybe one of the tackles left, say beachum, and one of the guards would be great. Other than that, I think the rest is a matter of a good draft this year and young guys stepping up.

kobebryant

Reaction score
So far I haven't seen any combo of player/reported contract details that I'm wishing that the Hawks would have been in on.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
RussB":2eszuhph said:
Well im just pissed now. Rams took whitworth and hawks dont do anything again. A damn division rival taking who hawks were supposed to. Prepare for another shit season on offense pete isnt gonna do anything about the o line. Apparently hes interested in old broken down runningbacks like jamal charles who hasnt even played the past 2 years.

Im sorry guys i can already see whats coming, the offense will be just as bad and will be the downfall once again. I am not overreacting, just seems to me they dont care to address the teams main issue. Detroit seems to have interest in remmers too so there is another tackle gone.

Free agency hasn't even began yet. They are also paying whitworth 13.5 million this year, and 25 next year. I know, they won't pay that, but illustrates the market right now. They can't pay a linemen almost 14 million dollars. 6 to 8, maybe. Not 14.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RussB":3281nlew said:

Whitworth is 35 years old and just signed a deal for $35 million ($25 million of it paid out in the first 2 years of his 3 year deal). I'm not losing any sleep about passing on that one.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Malcolm Smith going to make almost as much as KJ Wright :rofl:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/839919101053034497[/tweet]

So you can cross that one off your list.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1y6dlbe3 said:
I am very interested in Blount. Besides him, I can't really offer any names. Lots of guys I like, but it's all going to depend who the bargains are after the top guys get ovrepaid for a few days. I think we will bring in a vet linebacker.
Tical, I respect your opinion and Jville's the most when it comes to our offensive line. What would you like the plan to be and how much hope do you have for the guys already on our roster?

RussB

Reaction score
I want them to get peterson now. Signing charles will be a mistake. They need to get AP before someone else swoops him up and they could pressure him into taking a paycut since he wants to play for seattle.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":k98stoxo said:
Tical, I respect your opinion and Jville's the most when it comes to our offensive line. What would you like the plan to be and how much hope do you have for the guys already on our roster?

I'll give my two cents.

We should be better this year. Basically 3 of the 5 OL are new. I would expect two of those three to show significant improvement. Based on nothing more than law of averages in how rookies across the league improve after their second training camp.

Gilliam really plateaued last year. We similarly expected him to improve after his first year. He didn't. So it's not a guarantee. But it still is likely that some of those guys are going to be better and play at an acceptable level.

That first camp, the head is swimming. And if you get playing time in that rookie season, you get to make a lot of errors. It's that second training camp, where you have a store of experience (mostly bad) from games played where it's possible for the game to slow down considerably. We can't know how much of the bad play was the result of just blown assignments. That should recede.

We really should get a strong sense on what our deposit on experience last season has bought us before week one. These guys should look considerably better in this preseason. If not -- time to cull the street FAs. This time don't release the Jahri Evans' of the FA pool.

I think the plan will be modest. The market is crappy. Both for UFA and draft. But if you focus on specific role players -- I think you can find real impact value. Seattle wants to run the ball better. Getting a snotbubbling knuckledragger of a RT should be had at a reasonable price.

He won't be able to pass protect for $^&#. But then really there aren't many (any?) options to provide that.

That's how I'd see it. See what you have first. Get a cheap role player early. And reevaluate as TC evolves and other -- maybe even better options -- become available as teams cull their rosters.

As for the original posters' question:

Players I find intriguing:

1. AP.

I get he doesn't pass block or catch passes. That's Prosise's role anyway. AP provides power running. Even if he's not a home run threat he used to be, he still is powerful and that's the kind of RB Seattle covets.

2. Menelik Watson/DJ Fluker.

Seattle's OL profile leans to a run blocking mauler. Watson and Fluker are those things. Their pass pro is bleah. But for the deflated price, the job of RT in our line doesn't leverage quality pass pro. Maulers should be cheap.

3. Kalil/Joeckel.

Ok, so if you don't want one dimensional maulers, and want to get some players who will come at a depressed price but with some possible potential. Kalil tested very much like a Seahawk's lineman. Joeckel is young. Both of these guys *should* be better than Sowell was last year. Often times players like this are deemed bad, because they didn't live up to their draft position. However if these guys were picked around where Ricky Wagner was, would they be considered such bad players?

If you can get them in the 4-5m range would that suffice?

4. Connor Barwin.

I love his game. He just very much screams Seahawk attitude. I think he'd not only fit in here, but excel and enhance what we have on the roster. Of all of the UFAs on the market, Barwin looks like the one best suited for the locker room.

5. John Simon.

We brought him in for a look in the draft. He's not an exceptional athlete. Kind of hard to see us taking him. But I liked him in the draft process. If you're looking at a SAM backer, he'd fill that role nicely. He's more of a run defender anyway and that's likely where the SAM will be used.

6. Legarrette Blount

I honestly didn't realize he was available. I have liked him really every year since coming out from college. I always felt that when it was time for Lynch to retire, that Chris Ivory or Blount should be acquired as bridge players to our next franchise RB.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I am shocked at the salaries of the mediocre OL. This is getting insane

Matt Kalil - who has been widely considered a major disappointment, and someone I considered the Seahawks could get at a bargain - just signed with Carolina for 5 year, $55 million with $25m guarenteed

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/839929080145412096[/tweet]

WOW

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thank you Attyla. Excellent synopsis. I'm pretty leery of Kalil, but I like your list of players and your improvement calculations for our offensive line.
UPDATE: Just saw the Kalil post, so that's no longer a concern. Maybe his brother will set him straight in Carolina.

Chapow

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":qql1yqcr said:
I am shocked at the salaries of the mediocre OL. This is getting insane

Matt Kalil - who has been widely considered a major disappointment, and someone I considered the Seahawks could get at a bargain - just signed with Carolina for 5 year, $55 million with $25m guarenteed

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/839929080145412096[/tweet]

WOW

And yet a bunch of people around here are super pissed that the Seahawks didn't dive into free agency head first and spend whatever it took to land one of the the top FA OT.

Looks like it would have taken a lot and probably crippled their ability to do much else. Maybe they actually have some idea what they're doing or some kind of plan or plan something. Weird.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, just glad none of the fans are the GM. Paying 10 plus mil to average lineman? Would not be a smart move at all.