Within reason which fa's do you want the Hawks to get?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Looks like Joeckel was the OL addition.

And looks like we got him for relatively cheap and incentive laden contract.

Smart.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":41p8rpg2 said:
Looks like Joeckel was the OL addition.

And looks like we got him for relatively cheap and incentive laden contract.

Smart.

Maybe. The smart move IMO is the Eagles signing Chance Warmck to a $1.5 mil deal that is incentive laden. Absolute steal of a deal.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":24v213sh said:
Thank you Attyla. Excellent synopsis. I'm pretty leery of Kalil, but I like your list of players and your improvement calculations for our offensive line.
UPDATE: Just saw the Kalil post, so that's no longer a concern. Maybe his brother will set him straight in Carolina.

We'll see. It's definitely the x-factor he obviously isn't getting anywhere else. Johnson and Addison in house and Peppers and Munnerlyn from outside on hometown deals softened the Kalil blow $$$.

Very atypical wild early Panthers FA. Ealy trade, letting Ginn, Brown, Tolbert, and Klein walk, tag Short, signing SS Mike Adams, WRs Charles Johnson and Russell Shepard.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
ctrcat":3iydt9cs said:
Siouxhawk":3iydt9cs said:
Thank you Attyla. Excellent synopsis. I'm pretty leery of Kalil, but I like your list of players and your improvement calculations for our offensive line.
UPDATE: Just saw the Kalil post, so that's no longer a concern. Maybe his brother will set him straight in Carolina.

We'll see. It's definitely the x-factor he obviously isn't getting anywhere else. Johnson and Addison in house and Peppers and Munnerlyn from outside on hometown deals softened the Kalil blow $$$.

Very atypical wild early Panthers FA. Ealy trade, letting Ginn, Brown, Tolbert, and Klein walk, tag Short, signing SS Mike Adams, WRs Charles Johnson and Russell Shepard.
Letting Klein go had to hurt. It's Tampa's turn to win your division next year.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":801ws1by said:
ctrcat":801ws1by said:
Siouxhawk":801ws1by said:

Letting Klein go had to hurt. It's Tampa's turn to win your division next year.

With Mayo letting Klein go hurt none, just hate he went to the Saints. We'll see about Tampa.

Josea16

Reaction score
HawksSoc":1792ct9j said:
How we feeling about Jamaal Charles on a cheap deal?
He's awesome but can't stay healthy. Kansas City fans are fine with him leaving and hope we sign his sad ass. So no, if we must get a veteran go for Murray or possibly Lacy. Both aren't glass.

getnasty

Reaction score
Guys left that I wouldn't mind seeing in Seattle at the right price.

Josh Gordon
Michael Floyd
Austin Pasztor
Jonathon Hankins
Dontari Poe
Sen'Derrick Marks
Jamaal Charles

RockinHawks

Reaction score
If Lang doesn't sign, I'd like to see us kick the tires on OT Blake Bell and OT/OG D.J. Fluker.

Also John Simon would be a sturdy addition to the OLB group, and can rush the QB.

getnasty

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2xm96e7z said:
If Lang doesn't sign, I'd like to see us kick the tires on OT Blake Bell and OT/OG D.J. Fluker.

Also John Simon would be a sturdy addition to the OLB group, and can rush the QB.

Simon went to the Colts yesterday

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":3nxezjze said:
I am shocked at the salaries of the mediocre OL. This is getting insane

Matt Kalil - who has been widely considered a major disappointment, and someone I considered the Seahawks could get at a bargain - just signed with Carolina for 5 year, $55 million with $25m guarenteed

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/839929080145412096[/tweet]

WOW

Some of the write ups on this year's FA signings hear are pretty hlarious.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

"Panthers sign OT Matt Kalil (5 years, $55M; $25M guaranteed): MILLEN: THE BACK SIDE Grade
The Panthers had the Blind Side in Michael Oher, and now they have the Back Side, a grade for this utterly awful signing.

Details weren't available when this acquisition was first announced, so my brain nearly exploded when Landon E. sent me an e-mail, notifying me of the financial implications. I can't believe Matt Kalil is set to earn $55 million over five years. It's absolutely mind-boggling. Kalil hasn't been healthy in years, and he hasn't put together a quality season since 2013. He was atrocious in two games this past year before getting knocked out for the final 14 contests. This wasn't a surprise, given that he's incapable of staying healthy.

If Kalil hasn't played well in three years, why is he getting this massive contract? It makes no sense. Kalil should've gotten something like $9 million over three seasons. Handing him $11 million per year and $25 million in guarantees is asinine, and I have no choice but to deliver my ninth Millen in the past 30 or so hours."

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3cq5g6d9 said:
Siouxhawk":3cq5g6d9 said:
Tical, I respect your opinion and Jville's the most when it comes to our offensive line. What would you like the plan to be and how much hope do you have for the guys already on our roster?

I'll give my two cents.

We should be better this year. Basically 3 of the 5 OL are new. I would expect two of those three to show significant improvement. Based on nothing more than law of averages in how rookies across the league improve after their second training camp.

Gilliam really plateaued last year. We similarly expected him to improve after his first year. He didn't. So it's not a guarantee. But it still is likely that some of those guys are going to be better and play at an acceptable level.

That first camp, the head is swimming. And if you get playing time in that rookie season, you get to make a lot of errors. It's that second training camp, where you have a store of experience (mostly bad) from games played where it's possible for the game to slow down considerably. We can't know how much of the bad play was the result of just blown assignments. That should recede.

We really should get a strong sense on what our deposit on experience last season has bought us before week one. These guys should look considerably better in this preseason. If not -- time to cull the street FAs. This time don't release the Jahri Evans' of the FA pool.

I think the plan will be modest. The market is crappy. Both for UFA and draft. But if you focus on specific role players -- I think you can find real impact value. Seattle wants to run the ball better. Getting a snotbubbling knuckledragger of a RT should be had at a reasonable price.

He won't be able to pass protect for $^&#. But then really there aren't many (any?) options to provide that.

That's how I'd see it. See what you have first. Get a cheap role player early. And reevaluate as TC evolves and other -- maybe even better options -- become available as teams cull their rosters.

As for the original posters' question:

Players I find intriguing:

1. AP.

I get he doesn't pass block or catch passes. That's Prosise's role anyway. AP provides power running. Even if he's not a home run threat he used to be, he still is powerful and that's the kind of RB Seattle covets.

2. Menelik Watson/DJ Fluker.

Seattle's OL profile leans to a run blocking mauler. Watson and Fluker are those things. Their pass pro is bleah. But for the deflated price, the job of RT in our line doesn't leverage quality pass pro. Maulers should be cheap.

3. Kalil/Joeckel.

Ok, so if you don't want one dimensional maulers, and want to get some players who will come at a depressed price but with some possible potential. Kalil tested very much like a Seahawk's lineman. Joeckel is young. Both of these guys *should* be better than Sowell was last year. Often times players like this are deemed bad, because they didn't live up to their draft position. However if these guys were picked around where Ricky Wagner was, would they be considered such bad players?

If you can get them in the 4-5m range would that suffice?

4. Connor Barwin.

I love his game. He just very much screams Seahawk attitude. I think he'd not only fit in here, but excel and enhance what we have on the roster. Of all of the UFAs on the market, Barwin looks like the one best suited for the locker room.

5. John Simon.

We brought him in for a look in the draft. He's not an exceptional athlete. Kind of hard to see us taking him. But I liked him in the draft process. If you're looking at a SAM backer, he'd fill that role nicely. He's more of a run defender anyway and that's likely where the SAM will be used.

6. Legarrette Blount

I honestly didn't realize he was available. I have liked him really every year since coming out from college. I always felt that when it was time for Lynch to retire, that Chris Ivory or Blount should be acquired as bridge players to our next franchise RB.

I like what I read here. Agree with it too. OL: They are in their second year and now should be able to pick up each others tendencies and adapt for them.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Some guys I'd be really happy to add

DT Dontari Poe
DT Jonathan Hankins
DT Bennie Logan
DT Sylvester Williams
DT Tyson Alualu
DE Devin Taylor
DE Margus Hunt
DE/OLB Datone Jones
T Ryan Clady
G Brian Schwenke
G TJ Lang
RB Eddie Lacey
RB Terrance West
TE Gavin Escobar
TE Mychael Rivera
WR Kendall Wright
WR Brian Quick
WR Marquees Wilson

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I have this felling like AP and Charles could both have a re-emergence here. I'd be interested in a deal that was team friendly.

I tend to think we have a greater need for a bigger back like Lacey or AP. Another pass catching RB like Charles makes sense if they are concerned about Prosises health.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Warmack was the #1 player that I wanted us to get on my list. He signed for $1.5 mil with the Eagles. We should have gone after him when we had the chance. Damn!!!!!

kf3339

Reaction score
Has Menelik Watson signed anywhere? He would make sense for the RT spot right now.

Not sure there are any FA guards left to bother checking out.

King Dog

Reaction score
kf3339":1eao7xo2 said:
Has Menelik Watson signed anywhere? He would make sense for the RT spot right now.

He's gone. Broncos

kf3339

Reaction score
King Dog":39h3k92l said:
kf3339":39h3k92l said:

He's gone. Broncos

So it's basically Breno and/or the draft. Yep we played this FA period for adding O-Line help really well! :sarcasm_off:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With the addition of Lacy I think it makes the need for OL a little less critical. I think he is a tough runner who if playing up to potential can lead us back to the #1 rushing offense. One thing many don't mention is that he is a pretty good pass catcher. Lacey has a 75% catch rate with 100 receptions, 900 career yards, and 6 TD.

Rat

Reaction score
Is Jonathan Hankins still out there? He'd be an excellent addition to the interior line.