Without Kam are they still the Legion of Boom?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic that Kam will be back next week, but no, we're not the same without him. And considering even Austin Davis could beat us last year with short passes, even with Kam on the field, I don't think we can afford to be without him.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Kam and BB were the Boom in the Legion. When Browner left Kam still supplied plenty of Boom, but without Kam?

We'll have to see, but with or without Kam they are still the best secondary in the league (still have the best Safety and the best Corner) so they are definitely still the Legion. Maybe the Legion of Dayum!

Jville

Reaction score
IMO the beginning of enforcement, attitude and style was Lawyer Milloy. Milloy was the man they signed to introduce and define their new style under Carroll in 2010. Kam Chancellor was Lawyer's understudy.

In 2011, a brutally physical corner from the Canadian League was added in the person of Brandon Browner. Kam Chancellor was promoted and handed the starting strong safety job as planned. It was during the course of 2011 that the Legion of Boom forced itself onto the League. A couple years later, Byron Maxwell stepped forward as Brandon's replacement and the legend continued to grow.

With the departure of Byron and Kam, it would appear they may have lost from their collision game a notable amount of kinetic impact. We will get our first look in 24 hours.

Go Hawks!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Legion of Boom was the name given to one of the greatest secondaries to ever set foot in an NFL stadium.

They EARNED that name.

That was:

Brandon Browner, an giant fiercely physical and aggressive cornerback.

Richard Sherman, a brash, confident and gifted corner with a knack for interceptions.

Kam Chancellor, a strong safety with the speed and range of a safety but the size and physical impact of a linebacker.

Earl Thomas, a free safety with incredible speed and a nose for the ball carrier.

That was the LOB.

Brandon Browner has been responsible for helping 2 teams make it to the SB, and was a key player in the play that decided the last one.

Richard Sherman, is playing HOF quality ball and is on the HOF track if he keeps his current trajectory.

Kam Chancellor, was playing HOF quality ball and is also (or was) on the HOF track.

Earl Thomas, might even be considered the best of the group.

We likely will not see that kind of talent assembled in one secondary at the same time for a long time. Without Browner, Kam was still the intimidator on the field, so the LOB label of crushing hits with no equal - still held. Without Kam?

No. The LOB has separated.

We still have a great defense, but the LOB and the standards it set are not a reasonable expectation for this next group.

Twelver

Reaction score
Cary Williams is still trying to get the Seattle technique. Burley is no Lane. Gonna have to score more points.

Rainger

Reaction score
Thanks bobblehead for resurrecting this thread. I think it is a great topic and there will be many who will have their points of view.

I do not think the secondary should still be called the legion of boom. Should the the front four of the ST Louis Rams be called the Fearsome Foursome? NOPE. Time has moved on different players different years.

But thanks for the tread because It is a good one but I still think the subject should be are "they" still the legion of boom but LOL I don't want to get into that.

Good on ya man. :th2thumbs:

SuperMan28

Reaction score
SEA will be fine at LB'er without Kam. It's a stellar group.

The secondary is what I would be concerned with. They use to be so deep at CB and now they only have Sherman as an above average CB. I don't know anything about Bailey, either (SS).

lsheldon

Reaction score
I don't see the name Legion of Boom going away unless the defense takes a big step back. I can see people wanting to consider the LOB just Sherman, Browner, Kam, and Thomas, but the players themselves have said the LOB is about the defense as a whole, not just the secondary. I kind of agree with them. Just my opinion which doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Wow, no love for Kenny Easley the original Seahawks enforcer at Strong Safety?

Jville":5j0cucic said:
IMO the beginning of enforcement, attitude and style was Lawyer Milloy. Milloy was the man they signed to introduce and define their new style under Carroll in 2010. Kam Chancellor was Lawyer's understudy.

In 2011, a brutally physical corner from the Canadian League was added in the person of Brandon Browner. Kam Chancellor was promoted and handed the starting strong safety job as planned. It was during the course of 2011 that the Legion of Boom forced itself onto the League. A couple years later, Byron Maxwell stepped forward as Brandon's replacement and the legend continued to grow.

With the departure of Byron and Kam, it would appear they may have lost from their collision game a notable amount of kinetic impact. We will get our first look in 24 hours.

Go Hawks!

Gametime

Reaction score
I'm going against the grain on this and saying YES... Here's why.

The LOB has never been a set of personal. The LOB is a mindset or a mentality if you ask me. It's not a WHO but a HOW that matters. It comes from the foundation that this team was built on and how they collectively approach the game together!

The re-birth of this entire franchise has been fortified on the backs of hard nosed players needing to prove themselves and to the world they were legit. 5th round, 6th round, UDFA, doesn't matter. Only their effort and mark on the game did.

If you ask me when listening to Dion Bailey speak....it's EXACTLY what the LOB is. He is hungry folks. He wants to prove himself. Kam went against the "we" concept and is doing what he feels is best but it's about him. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't even matter to me. He made a decision he felt was best and he is not here but he absolutely doesn't get to steal the identity of the team. Next. Man. Up. Period.

Thinking about it that way and I'm excited to see them take the field in a divisional road opener. Time to put up or shut up and I think the LOB's intangible "it" will be alive and well. on Sunday. That's my take.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
stizz19":2ju3oyx9 said:
People said that once Browner was gone, however now that Kam is not there...they are just the Legion.
Now with the only two left of the Fearsome Foursome, it's now the Thwack squad, and that's only because Earl Thomas still likes to lay the wood when he tackles.

Laloosh

Reaction score
SuperMan28":hf8rx54f said:
SEA will be fine at LB'er without Kam. It's a stellar group.

The secondary is what I would be concerned with. They use to be so deep at CB and now they only have Sherman as an above average CB. I don't know anything about Bailey, either (SS).

Kam isn't a linebacker. He's a safety and thus, part of the secondary. Hits like a LB though!