Would we really let Sherman......

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":26itipr0 said:
HawkFan72":26itipr0 said:
Pete Carroll's system can make many CBs succeed. It's why so many corners have looked good ever since he started coaching here.

However Sherman really is the best Cb in the league and you don't just let those guys walk away. Another CB could come in and do a decent job (like Maxwell), but Sherman is a star.

Earl is the priority, but Sherman shouldn't be allowed to walk.

Maxwell will be a star too. Book it.

Perhaps. But I honestly think there are many guys who could be stars in this system Carroll has designed.

But Sherman really does have real talent that could excel on many teams. He was raw coming out of college, which is why he was drafted low, but he has really refined his skills and is insanely good.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":xz7cmh7h said:
And then Lady Talon enters the room and doesn't disappoint.:)

I love it. Hence my question because all of your responses have backing. To make it easier for you I expect that we resign him at 9-10 million per....

I think we will pay Sherm. It's the idea that PC is married to him that I speak towards. PC will make a ruthless decision if the right deal comes along or the wrong injury hits.

It's not unheard of to let "shutdown" corners walk in FA and maintain or build contending teams out of the ashes. Sanders walked from ATL and they won the NFC three years later. Asante Samuel walked from the Pasties in FA and they went undefeated (until the Super Bowl) the next year.

Little bit of a difference between PC can't live without him, and PC decides to keep him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This entire off-season has been about retaining Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. You don't dump 20% of your roster just because you feel like it. After everyone saw that the market rate for CBs is VERY REASONABLE (just as I said) and that they would dump all their average/very good players (just as I said), I figured that would put an end to threads like this.

@DavisHsuSeattle: I have run 2015 scenarios, there is $ for Wilson & Sherm and ET and Allen, also makes drafting a WR and OT that much more beneficial on cap

kearly

Reaction score
We'll have the money for Sherman. JS budgets years in advance to work everything out.

You might want to draft Christine Michael in fantasy before the 2015 season though. Just sayin'.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Maxwell could be a painful one to watch walk, but that may be the unfortunate reality.

He'll likely walk into next offseason as the #1 UFA cb on the market (provided Sherman isn't there) - and the Hawks likely will not be able to match. Could be shrewd to see if he'll bite on something much lower now than what he'd get in a year.

I did love Tharold Simon as a prospect, had him pegged as an ideal Seahawks cb. Just redshirted essentially and would any of us be suprised if the coaches made him the next stud off the assembly line?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If I'm Maxwell, I'm playing out my rookie deal and getting PAID (by someone else) as a UFA. He saw how much New England paid for Browner. Would be foolish for him to take an extension now while his value is still a mystery. This is one of the rare instances where the gamble is worth the risk IMO. I'm sure his agent is telling him the same thing.

rain7

Reaction score
KK84":zj0n9mt5 said:
#2. Nnamdi and Sherman are absolutely nothing alike. .

How are they not alike? Taller, slow-ish, long armed press corners with good technique.

Also, im not saying that sherman isnt great, im just saying that it shouldnt be that crazy to think pete and john could decide that they could field an elite secondary without sherman. As I see it, they currently have 3 all pros and a pro bowler. If sherm asks for last-year-revis money, he's gone

DavidSeven

Reaction score
rain7":3g3pl4g8 said:
KK84":3g3pl4g8 said:

How are they not alike? Taller, slow-ish, long armed press corners with good technique.

Also, im not saying that sherman isnt great, im just saying that it shouldnt be that crazy to think pete and john could decide that they could field an elite secondary without sherman. As I see it, they currently have 3 all pros and a pro bowler. If sherm asks for last-year-revis money, he's gone

No. Nnamdi was 30 years old and had been in Oakland 8 seasons before he left for Philly. Not comparable.

Smellyman

Reaction score
rain7":2zgdyevr said:
KK84":2zgdyevr said:

11 years in the league, long in the tooth and Sherman has already passed him in career picks 20 -15 in just 3 years.

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":2ettndze said:
We'll have the money for Sherman. JS budgets years in advance to work everything out.

You might want to draft Christine Michael in fantasy before the 2015 season though. Just sayin'.
You figure? No way!

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1icrq0jf said:
If I'm Maxwell, I'm playing out my rookie deal and getting PAID (by someone else) as a UFA. He saw how much New England paid for Browner. Would be foolish for him to take an extension now while his value is still a mystery. This is one of the rare instances where the gamble is worth the risk IMO. I'm sure his agent is telling him the same thing.
Maxwell is gone. We can only pay three.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":3qexzg7j said:
No, not without a the bounty worth 10 kings. Having Earl and Sherman on the field is so crucial, you're practically deleting 2 areas on the field with them.

You seem to know what you are talking about. I agree.

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lady Talon":231rn9j6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":231rn9j6 said:
And then Lady Talon enters the room and doesn't disappoint.:)

I love it. Hence my question because all of your responses have backing. To make it easier for you I expect that we resign him at 9-10 million per....

I think we will pay Sherm. It's the idea that PC is married to him that I speak towards. PC will make a ruthless decision if the right deal comes along or the wrong injury hits.

It's not unheard of to let "shutdown" corners walk in FA and maintain or build contending teams out of the ashes. Sanders walked from ATL and they won the NFC three years later. Asante Samuel walked from the Pasties in FA and they went undefeated (until the Super Bowl) the next year.

Little bit of a difference between PC can't live without him, and PC decides to keep him.
Mostly ribbing you LT, mostly.;)

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Do I think Sherman will spend his entire career here? Absolutely not.
It would be great if he will but I'm not counting on it.

I think he might be around for one 3-4 year deal, then going for the really big cash to set up his great grandchildren for life.

OP
OP
MizzouHawkGal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":1rmh1zd9 said:

You figure? No way!

kearly

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":g0qau3ok said:
kearly":g0qau3ok said:

You figure? No way!

[youtube]Sp67K_Sqd-8[/youtube]

Tical21

Reaction score
If we weren't planning on signing Sherman, we would have signed Tate, maybe Breno, McDonald, Melton, maybe an O-Lineman, etc. Their lack of spending during free agency shows quite obviously that they are planning to keep Sherman around.

As far as Lynch, I hit on this in another thread, and it really isn't like me to not be forward-thinking all the time, but I can't see a scenario where Lynch gets most of the touches this season, plays well, and then isn't with the team in 2015. I think the only way he isn't with us is he hits the major wall this season, or is injured and Michael/Turbin totally go off in that span. Since we rely so heavily on the power running game, I can't see us going into a season as a contender with a question mark at tailback.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
rain7":tmn00ciy said:
KK84":tmn00ciy said:

Knock, knock, knock...are you awake? B-R-A-I-N-S that quickly diagnose a play, the adept ability to locate the ball in flight and I dare say Sherm has the best hands of any corner in the league. Yeah, they are SO similar.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
In my opinion, a lot of it depends on Sherman. I believe the team should at least try to give him an extension this offseason where the average per year is somewhere between 12 and 13 million. If he balks at those numbers because he believes he would get a lot more by waiting another year and entering free agency, then you are probably looking at a scenario where things get a little ugly. Thomas will likely get an extension while Sherman will be forced to play for peanuts again this year. Will this make him holdout? Maybe? Then you place a franchise tag on him and things really get interesting. I'm guessing that Sherman is not going to accept the franchise tag with open arms so I definitely could see him being traded next offseason once he is tagged.

My hope is that Sherman isn't looking for some record breaking contract and is content with a deal that makes him the highest paid CB by a small margin (even if the actual contract is less than what Revis originally signed for with Tampa). What happens with Patrick Peterson could impact negotiations as well.

Tokadub

Reaction score
It seems like I'm the only one who thinks Sherman is going to start regressing this next season. You guys do remember him in crutches during the Super Bowl right? Kind of an ominous sign to me.

Sherman doesn't have world class speed if he loses even half a step he could be worth literally millions less, wouldn't have made that huge tip against 49ers etc.

I am really hoping we let him play out the final year of his contract and see what happens before we rush into another ridiculously huge contract (Harvin) and totally decimate our available cap space.

Although since we cut Tate it makes me quite confused about what the heck we are doing in terms of excessive money for 2014 now, who knows...

I feel more comfortable extending Thomas early than Sherman... Just a hunch though that it would be the wiser decision but I still don't wanna break the bank on him if we can help it.

To me the worst case scenario is Harvin and Sherman seriously injured. That'd be likely over 20 million sitting on the sidelines... With that kind of money couldn't we repair our atrocious offensive line and acquire some legit talent?

I just need to see what happens in the draft, not seeing how we are prepared for Harvins injury or what we are doing to protect Wilson with a real o-line.