Would we really let Sherman......

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":3c80jca4 said:
Tical21":3c80jca4 said:
As far as Lynch, I hit on this in another thread, and it really isn't like me to not be forward-thinking all the time, but I can't see a scenario where Lynch gets most of the touches this season, plays well, and then isn't with the team in 2015. I think the only way he isn't with us is he hits the major wall this season, or is injured and Michael/Turbin totally go off in that span. Since we rely so heavily on the power running game, I can't see us going into a season as a contender with a question mark at tailback.

Lynch's base salary next season is $7.5 million. And IMO, we are more than fine at tailback without Lynch. Michael is going to be a star if healthy, and Ware is already a poor man's Lynch. Plus, they can just draft a stud in round 2 or 3 if need be. $7.5 million is a lot of dough for a RB for a team that desperately needs cash. Even a team like Seattle. And remember, Seattle has a history of letting guys go a year early.

I looked ahead to next season and there's really only two ways the team can find the money to pay Wilson+Earl+Sherm. Either cut/trade Lynch or let Avril walk and replace him with a guy who's dirt cheap like Mayowa. Both are viable options, but I would much rather trust Michael than trust Mayowa. I think it says a lot that Seattle kept Ware on the 53 man roster all year too.

They have the option to keep Lynch and still work things out. Maybe they will. They have some options, my gut says this is Lynch's last hurrah in Seattle though.
I agree that he probably won't be back at that price. Does having to take a paycut mean he walks away? If we go 12-4 or whatever, make a deep run in the playoffs, and Lynch is productive again and is still the centerpiece of the offense like I believe he will be, I can't see us letting him walk. I'm as big of a Michael believer as there is, but you don't cut the heart of your offense when you're in Super Bowl or bust mode.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical, can you elaborate further on what you mean by "Super Bowl or bust mode"? I mean, we're a young team with a young QB, I'd say were about the least "Super Bowl or bust mode" team in the NFL right now. Every other NFL team needs to do more to win Super Bowl 49 than we do, and I'm not referring to the fact that we just won Super Bowl 48. The Broncos, now they're in that mode for sure, IMO.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2oadv9hy said:
Sherman just walk? Maybe given our defense is Safety driven.
rain7":2oadv9hy said:
Dunno, something tells me that there is something to what Hall was saying. The namndi asomugha example makes me think twice.
Have you guys been smoking something? (Sorry -- have your posts been smoking something?)

rain7":2oadv9hy said:
Put another way, if we had two maxwells, do we really think things would fall apart? Earl seems like the true centerpiece to this defense. Also sems suspicious that we turned a cfl player into a probowler and two late round picks into probowlers as well, scheme seems like a big part of it.
If anybody but Sherman covers Crabtree at the end of the NFCCG, Crabtree makes the catch.

Put another way, if we had two Maxwells, we don't go to Super Bowl XLVIII.

theascension

Reaction score
As great as Maxwell is he's still developing and was still beat by Demaryius Thomas in the SB many times including the PI play on the TD. He has room to improve but he's only been the starter for half a season so far. Sherman on the other hand is -by any measure- a top 5 cornerback and by interceptions (a more important stat I think for a CB than total yards or pass defenses) number 1. You don't just let that walk, you simply don't.

plyka

Reaction score
rain7":4gcg4m65 said:
Dunno, something tells me that there is something to what Hall was saying. The namndi asomugha example makes me think twice.

Put another way, if we had two maxwells, do we really think things would fall apart? Earl seems like the true centerpiece to this defense. Also sems suspicious that we turned a cfl player into a probowler and two late round picks into probowlers as well, scheme seems like a big part of it.

This idea that "scheme" can turn a CFL player into a probowler is nonsense. Take every other CB in the CFL and bring him on this team and he wouldn't be turned into a pro-bowler. Hence the reason why Pete hasn't brought any other CBs over.

More likely is that these players had the talent, Pete/JS saw the talent, and developed that talent. I mean if scheme was all there was to it, we could replace Sherman with me. I'd only take 1 million per year and would not complain.

Tical21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1gdk2ad5 said:
Tical, can you elaborate further on what you mean by "Super Bowl or bust mode"? I mean, we're a young team with a young QB, I'd say were about the least "Super Bowl or bust mode" team in the NFL right now. Every other NFL team needs to do more to win Super Bowl 49 than we do, and I'm not referring to the fact that we just won Super Bowl 48. The Broncos, now they're in that mode for sure, IMO.
If we don't go to the Super Bowl, the season is a disappointment. I really can't think of any other way to interpret the statement, what were you getting at?