Would you keep Kearse? (Poll)

Would you stick a tender on Kearse for around $2.5m?

• Yes

Votes: 111 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 27.4%
  • Reluctantly, I don't see too many other options

Votes: 56 24.3%

• Total voters

drdiags

Reaction score
The team can tender him whatever they want and once he signs it, have him sign an extension for less or be cut. They did this with Maragos and others. I think they redid the tender they gave Johnson, but maybe not? So just because Kearse signs a tender of $2.5M doesn't mean that is what he eventually will get.

He could try calling their bluff like Baldwin did but I am not sure if his leverage is enough to warrant a similar contract extension as Baldwin got. He probably goes the way of Jeron Johnson.

And the dude calling Seahawks fans whiny, why are you here whining about the whiners? "You guys want let me make you a punching bag for my brilliant put downs! ". That 1-2 12th man flag Avatar our Washington living 9ers fan has got a chuckle. Kill him ...

Hyak

Reaction score
I would given you don't know how the draft and FA is going to shake out. Do you guys want Lockette getting more vital snaps at WR?

As for as tendering him, they still could tender him at the draft choice amount instead of the 2nd round tender. All that would mean is that he would be able to sign somewhere else and if the Hawks did not match they would not get any draft pick compensation.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Keeping Kearse as your 2nd WR is lot different than keeping him at 3 or 4. Kearse is a good story and he has made some huge plays over the last couple years but his consistency is not good. It makes sense to keep him at 3 or 4 but he is not a number 2 WR on any team. I don't see anyone going after him and giving up a draft pick. He deserves a raise but he cannot be overpaid....he signs for cheap then keep him...if not look elsewhere or develop Norwood.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I thought Kearse was going to take off this year, but he was more inconsistent than ever. I think he missed his chance to shine. He makes some amazing plays, but I don't think he will ever be reliable.

TIme to move on, unless the coaching staff really believes they cannot find anyone better. Either way, an upgrade is needed.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The same thing can be said of Willson (TE). Makes a few good catches but drops way too many to be liable.

joeshaney

Reaction score
It depends. He's both worth keeping and worth cutting depending on other factors.
For example, if they feel good about Matthews or want to bring in a free agent, then it doesn't make sense to pay that kind of money to a 4/5 wide receiver.

If Matthews (likely) is a one hit wonder and they plan to look for WR help in the draft versus free agency then I say keep him on board. 2.5 million for a #2 wideout is plenty fair. And that what he is until proven otherwise (competition).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
What's interesting to me is that fans of other teams seem to respect Kearse a lot more than a lot of Hawks fans do.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2quef1ts said:
He's not consistent enough. If Holmgren was still HC, he would have been gone long ago.

And if the Hawks had a wide receiver budget (Harvin debacle aside), he would have been gone long ago.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
No I wouldn't keep him. For obvious reasons stated throughout this thread.

Seafan

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1k2rt0rq said:
He's not consistent enough. If Holmgren was still HC, he would have been gone long ago.

Not true. Inconsistent WRs was the hallmark of Holmgrem's legacy in Seattle. Including Jerry Rice.

Seafan

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2kze526u said:
Im content blowing up our WR group and bringing in a bunch of talent for our franchise QB to grow with.

I agree. Find some guys who can catch and separate. But I think that has always been the plan.

What the Hawks do this off season at WR and TE is going to be interesting and telling.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3od021l7 said:
dutchcoug":3od021l7 said:
I get the gist of how RFA work but not the full picture. I keep hearing 2nd round tender and that would cost us $2.5 mil. Couldn't we tender him something much lower? Maybe a 5th or 6th round tender for small money and if someone jumps on it we get a draft pick.

There are three tenders I believe. 1st, 2nd and original value. Considering Kearse was undrafted he has no original value and so the cheapest tender would be a second.

I believe he can still be tendered at 'original value,' which just gives us the right to first refusal with no draft pick compensation.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":v4om25au said:
HawKnPeppa":v4om25au said:

Not true. Inconsistent WRs was the hallmark of Holmgrem's legacy in Seattle. Including Jerry Rice.
You are absolutely right, there were way too many drops back then, and truthfully? Bobby Engram was the most reliable of them all.
As for Percy Harvin, how many spectacular catches did he have while wearing a Seahawks uniform.
Kearse shouldn't be getting anything close to $2.5 M, but he shouldn't be getting all the crap from folks around here either.
I trust that John Schneider will put something together, and find Receivers (and hopefully a Tight end) for RW to meld with.
The problem with having a Run First O-Line, is you have to have some pretty spectacular Receivers play if you want to have any kind of success, especially with a limited passing game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I disagree that our choice is a 2nd round tender or nothing. Kearse has made a few big plays but I don't see another team just throwing money at him. There are plenty of receivers in this draft and lots of UDFA WR this season that will cost a fraction as much. The difference between a 2m contract and a 500k contract really adds up when you are making these decisions across all your positional depth.

My bet is that Kearse is at training camp with a reasonable deal ($/yr) and that he makes the team as our 4th WR.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
vin.couve12":e7sjchjz said:
What's interesting to me is that fans of other teams seem to respect Kearse a lot more than a lot of Hawks fans do.

That's because fans of other teams mostly watch highlights. Put together a film that includes all of the drops and see what they say.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Kearse probably gets to training camp after that I would say its doubtful he makes the team unless the team does not a dd WR's throught the draft and/or FA

Baldwin: keeper but should be the #3
Norwood: probably would have taken someone's job last year if not for injuries
Matthews: keeper, due to size and plays special teams. Developing.
Lockette: keeper due to special teams and overall speed, only real speed threat at this point. Still Developing.
Richardson: likely starts the year on PUP
Walters: probably get resigned as a camp body

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3txowuzz said:
I want him back and I want Richardson to beat him out for a starting role. Kearse seems to be the ideal #4 wide receiver for our team.

Richardson will be lucky to play a single game next year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
blkhwk":2c3bokb1 said:
Kearse probably gets to training camp after that I would say its doubtful he makes the team unless the team does not a dd WR's throught the draft and/or FA

Baldwin: keeper but should be the #3
Norwood: probably would have taken someone's job last year if not for injuries
Matthews: keeper, due to size and plays special teams. Developing.
Lockette: keeper due to special teams and overall speed, only real speed threat at this point. Still Developing.
Richardson: likely starts the year on PUP
Walters: probably get resigned as a camp body

Disagree on Walters and don't think he'll get an offer from the team in FA as the team will find a legit dangerous KR/PR in FA or the draft. Walters was only here b/c the team needed a PR. Kearse will get a RFA tender then be asked like Jeron Johnson and several others in the past to take a 1 yr guaranteed contract at a much lower cap number or be replaced. He'll accept b/c he believes he understands what the team wants him to do. Besides that he's a more dangerous WR than many of the others the team presently has here.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Kearse is a #4 Wide receiver who should make no more then league minimum.