Would you keep Kearse? (Poll)

Would you stick a tender on Kearse for around $2.5m?

• Yes

Votes: 111 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 27.4%
  • Reluctantly, I don't see too many other options

Votes: 56 24.3%

• Total voters

swagcity21

Reaction score
Seafan":2qg34nzg said:
HawKnPeppa":2qg34nzg said:
He's not consistent enough. If Holmgren was still HC, he would have been gone long ago.

Not true. Inconsistent WRs was the hallmark of Holmgrem's legacy in Seattle. Including Jerry Rice.

Insert Darryl Jackson here...

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
HawkFan72":37o7s33f said:
I thought Kearse was going to take off this year, but he was more inconsistent than ever. I think he missed his chance to shine. He makes some amazing plays, but I don't think he will ever be reliable.

TIme to move on, unless the coaching staff really believes they cannot find anyone better. Either way, an upgrade is needed.

Oddly reminiscent of 2008-2011 at UW, huh?

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2ht603f1 said:
He's not consistent enough. If Holmgren was still HC, he would have been gone long ago.

Holmgren kept bringing Obomanu back. I see Kearse as basically the same guy.

evergreen

Reaction score
Our receiving corps is pretty thin. Kearse made some awesome catches and killer drops. He's fine until you mention millions. No way with 11 draft picks he gets 7 digits from us.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kearse makes you beat your head against the wall until the game is on the line and then comes up money.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I like what Kearse brings to the table. But relying on him to be a starter is too much right now. We need someone to push Kearse to 3 or 4, I think that's where he would be in a much better place for the team

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm confident PC and JS will bring in competition for this position.

Kearse is too inconsistent to be relied on. While he has come up with some of the biggest plays in franchise history, he's just not a threat for Wilson to throw to consistently

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's like every other position discussion, until there's an upgrade we have to keep Kearse.

Kearse is a fantastic local boy made good story, but if our WR corp ever wants to get to the point of being an asset to this team instead of a liability, Kearse should be expendable.

But as of now? No, we need him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
rideaducati":3la0jdq6 said:
HawKnPeppa":3la0jdq6 said:

Nice! That's a pretty good comparison.
Kearse is also a great contributor on special teams.
He'll probably get a vet minimum deal or slightly above. Kearse is a #4 receiver who is terrific on special teams and does a decent job with run blocking. We should keep him if we can, but not at $2.5M.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":eqn7p14p said:
HawKnPeppa":eqn7p14p said:

When did Obomanu ever have as many spectacular plays?
Kearse has had a lot of drops but he's also had some kick-ass catches too.
The Seahawks need to bring in some real talent Receivers or good blocking TE's that can CATCH, and stay relatively healthy before they jettison Kearse.

kjreid

Reaction score
Having Mathews, Richardson, Norwood, and lockette developing, I see Kerse fitting in and taking ADB's reps. We can pay him 2 with ADB gone.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kjreid":418313v0 said:
Having Mathews, Richardson, Norwood, and lockette developing, I see Kerse fitting in and taking ADB's reps. We can pay him 2 with ADB gone.

Hate to shoot you down but that's an uber-optimistic outlook on things. Matthews could very well be a one-hit wonder, Richardson looks likely to miss some time. Norwood has shown nothing to make anyone think he can realistically develop into a larger role and Lockette's development years are behind him, he turns 30 next year. Doug Baldwin is our only legitimate starting receiver save maybe Richardson.

Our WR corps is in need of an overhaul. If we manage to land one of the bigger vet WR's who become available as well as getting a guy in the first couple of days of the draft then I can see Kearse being let go.

Of course there is a chance to land Kearse on a lower deal, but he might get a nice offer from another team. I'd be a little surprised if he did, I could see him signing with us for something like 2 years/$3m.

kjreid

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":30b0m9yb said:
kjreid":30b0m9yb said:

Hate to shoot you down but that's an uber-optimistic outlook on things. Matthews could very well be a one-hit wonder, Richardson looks likely to miss some time. Norwood has shown nothing to make anyone think he can realistically develop into a larger role and Lockette's development years are behind him, he turns 30 next year. Doug Baldwin is our only legitimate starting receiver save maybe Richardson.

Our WR corps is in need of an overhaul. If we manage to land one of the bigger vet WR's who become available as well as getting a guy in the first couple of days of the draft then I can see Kearse being let go.

Of course there is a chance to land Kearse on a lower deal, but he might get a nice offer from another team. I'd be a little surprised if he did, I could see him signing with us for something like 2 years/$3m.

I agree, I am just trying to point out that the Seahawk offense is not where any WR wants to be, they are the third or fourth option in most cases and the Hawks have their money spent on Defense, OL and now it will be QB and RB (if Lynch stays). I only see money in the budget for 1st contract and fringe veteran 4's or 5's. I am optimistic because if you look at those above that is really all we had last year and we went to a super bowl.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think you have to keep Kearse on a 2nd round tender (2.4m) at this point.

I think the hope was that PRich and Norwood would have done enough to allow Kearse to walk but PRich is hurt for a while and Norwood is still an unknown. At this point we keep Kearse for 2015 and let him UFA the year after with someone else. Also I think we draft one and maybe two WR's in this year's draft to compete. One of those two WR's being a KR/PR type.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2p89coj1 said:
At this time we don't have anyone else. You resign him if the money is right.
Agreed, but I sure hope we continue to bring in competition. Kearse belongs much lower on the depth chart.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Considering we lost our three starting WRs (Tate, Rice, Harvin) in a 12 month span and will be without one of their replacements (Richardson) for probably six games, you really have no other option here.

Second round tender. Add at least two more talented WRs through draft/FA. Decide from there. My only concern is that continuity convinces us stay rather, um, average at outside WR. Eventually, we will probably need to move on and also put Doug back in the slot.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
This thread is mildly crazy although the poll is correct. We will 100% tender him. There is NO doubt of this.

He will have to be at least a second round tender because he was undrafted so $2 million but I would expect us to sign him to a 2-3 year deal with more money upfront.

Also, this drop thing is simply not correct. His drop rate is 2.9% with only 2 drops credited to him this season.

He would be a WR3 and well worth it at 2 million as he can step into a starting role for brief periods of time and has shown great comfort within the system.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2zlbngrn said:
This thread is mildly crazy although the poll is correct. We will 100% tender him. There is NO doubt of this.

He will have to be at least a second round tender because he was undrafted so $2 million but I would expect us to sign him to a 2-3 year deal with more money upfront.

Also, this drop thing is simply not correct. His drop rate is 2.9% with only 2 drops credited to him this season.

He would be a WR3 and well worth it at 2 million as he can step into a starting role for brief periods of time and has shown great comfort within the system.

I couldn't care if his official drops were 2, I can think of at least five. As to the second round tender, it's already $2.187m and will only go up.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
So you don't tender him and let him go for nothing? That is crazy.

$2.2 million is not that much money for a WR like Kearse. He is definitely worth that much to us as he has shown flashes and knows the system and Russ well. How much cheaper could you even get?

I would understand this thread more if he was an UFA. But he isn't going anywhere.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3lo0w101 said:
So you don't tender him and let him go for nothing? That is crazy.

$2.2 million is not that much money for a WR like Kearse. He is definitely worth that much to us as he has shown flashes and knows the system and Russ well. How much cheaper could you even get?

I would understand this thread more if he was an UFA. But he isn't going anywhere.

Where did I say that? I voted against letting him go, reluctantly. I was just pointing out that drop stats are unreliable.