WR Roster Battle

Which 2 WR's are we most likely to keep?

• Lockette

Votes: 50 41.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 80 66.1%
  • Norwood

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Richardson

Votes: 83 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":20jhm7qv said:
Why all the hate on Kearse and Lockette? They aren't the best receivers in the league but they are definitely good enough to make our 53 man roster.

I think you are mistaking hope for hate. I think most people's perspective on Kearse and Lockette is that they are average receivers at best, and it would be nice if younger, cheaper, better players replaced them.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If Richardson was healthy I think our lineup would be

1. Richardson
2. Baldwin
3. T. Lockett
4. Kearse

At this point paying a 4th wr $2+mil won't make to much sense with 3 other wrs that are more physically talented but have less reps waiting.

Do Kearse or Norwood have any trade value?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Laloosh":1xbs1y91 said:
massari":1xbs1y91 said:
What's the reason the Hawks released a guy like Leon Washington and keep someone like Lockette? I thought they just didn't want to waste roster spots for guys who only contributed to Special teams?

Was that more of a salary cap or performance thing?
Cap thing.
Not the way that I remember it.

Leon was released almost immediately after the Harvin trade went down.

Harvin replaced Leon as the K/O returner and occasional RB.

If cap space was saved it wasn't a lot... like maybe $1.5 - $2M.

chris98251

Reaction score
I laugh at what were complaining about, we have a receiver making two million dollars that makes the big catch, now lets look at Dez Bryant and his drop last year and how much he makes.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
chris98251":wv7l1ntv said:
I laugh at what were complaining about, we have a receiver making two million dollars that makes the big catch, now lets look at Dez Bryant and his drop last year and how much he makes.

you seem to forget all the drops Kearse has....Was Dez's a drop?? I seem to recall a lot of catches against our team last year...not even fair to compare the two..although Dez is a psycho.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cyrus12":ey8zvnjh said:
chris98251":ey8zvnjh said:

you seem to forget all the drops Kearse has....Was Dez's a drop?? I seem to recall a lot of catches against our team last year...not even fair to compare the two..although Dez is a psycho.

So now we decide to be selective, he's WR, I don't see asterisk next to each players name indicating Psycho, or anything else, you don't like the Bryant example then you always have Crabtree as another.

You can say Wilson isn't Brady also since he isn't a pocket passer and makes to much money now.

I don't see an asterisk next to Wilson as a Running QB any more then I see one next to Brady as a Cheater, I see QB.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2ev1sfx7 said:
If Richardson was healthy I think our lineup would be

1. Richardson
2. Baldwin
3. T. Lockett
4. Kearse

At this point paying a 4th wr $2+mil won't make to much sense with 3 other wrs that are more physically talented but have less reps waiting.

Do Kearse or Norwood have any trade value?

Nope.

4. should be Matthews.

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
Matthews has done nothing in this camp to supplant Kearse. He still has a lot to prove this preseason.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfiend":26ov81qo said:
Matthews has done nothing in this camp to supplant Kearse. He still has a lot to prove this preseason.

I haven't been to every practice, so I don't really know if that is true, but it wouldn't take a whole lot more than nothing for Matthews to supplant Kearse.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Does Russell have a say in which WR's are starting? If so I think he trusts Kearse, over the likes of Norwood, Matthews, and Lockette.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
To early to say but everyone had BJ Daniels as a lock last year because he looked great in training camp again and then did nothing in the actual preseason games. Here's my locks as of now subject to change after I see them play in preseason.

Kearse
Baldwin
Matthews
Lockett
Richardson on the pup

Graham should see some time at WR as well he lined up as a WR a lot for NO but I can't read Bevell's mind so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they use him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Too early.

I'll assume that Baldwin, Lockett are locks. Richardson I fully expect to get PUPed, then subsequently IRed. But he's a lock if he's on the roster

I kind of think everyone else is potentially on the bubble.

Kearse, I believe is the safest. But if more than one of the bubble WRs really emerges, I definitely see a cap reason to drop him. This team is against the cap. And club control factors into roster decisions much more prevalently amongst the rotational players across the board.

Lockette is probably second safest. If we're talking about the 5th or 6th WR in the group, then ST value is going to figure prominently. Lockette is very good in that respect. For us to waive him is going to require his replacement to bring something to the table in that regard. T. Lockett is essentially a replacement for what we lost with Tate. We're not going to finally get Tate's replacement and then similarly lose ST value elsewhere. Ultimately, we don't have a ton of club control on Lockette either. Replacing him isn't vital in 2015, but factors into the 3 year plan starting in 2016. If a rook gets close Seattle could do a preemptive move here.

Matthews and Norwood and Williams really seem to be vying not just for a final roster spot, but also the potential to kick Kearse/Lockette to the curb. Again, Matthews has the least club control here. So that could certainly factor in if all things are equal. In my opinion, there is significant competition amongst the 4th+ WR spots.

It's also not a guarantee that we go with 6 WRs. The competition at RB is equally fierce. It's conceivable that we keep 6 there and only 5 WRs. Seattle didn't just have issues at KR/PR. Our ST blocking took severe hits with the losses of Maragos, Robinson and Farwell. I'd say those losses were greater than the loss of Tate.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Richardson and Lockett pretty much have the same skill set but Lockett can also return kicks. I would think this would put Richardson on thin ice. Fortunately they won't need to make that decision as long as he is injured. Norwood needs to have a big pre season or he will end up on the practice squad.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3i6t9obu said:
Too early.

I'll assume that Baldwin, Lockett are locks. Richardson I fully expect to get PUPed, then subsequently IRed. But he's a lock if he's on the roster

Kearse, I believe is the safest. But if more than one of the bubble WRs really emerges, I definitely see a cap reason to drop him. This team is against the cap. And club control factors into roster decisions much more prevalently amongst the rotational players across the board.

Lockette is probably second safest. If we're talking about the 5th or 6th WR in the group, then ST value is going to figure prominently. Lockette is very good in that respect. For us to waive him is going to require his replacement to bring something to the table in that regard. T. Lockett is essentially a replacement for what we lost with Tate. We're not going to finally get Tate's replacement and then similarly lose ST value elsewhere. Ultimately, we don't have a ton of club control on Lockette either. Replacing him isn't vital in 2015, but factors into the 3 year plan starting in 2016. If a rook gets close Seattle could do a preemptive move here.

Matthews and Norwood and Williams really seem to be vying not just for a final roster spot, but also the potential to kick Kearse/Lockette to the curb. Again, Matthews has the least club control here. So that could certainly factor in if all things are equal. In my opinion, there is significant competition amongst the 4th+ WR spots.

It's also not a guarantee that we go with 6 WRs. The competition at RB is equally fierce. It's conceivable that we keep 6 there and only 5 WRs. Seattle didn't just have issues at KR/PR. Our ST blocking took severe hits with the losses of Maragos, Robinson and Farwell. I'd say those losses were greater than the loss of Tate.

Matthews was instrumental in the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl if he isn't given a legit shot to shine this year there making a mistake . It's not like they have a lot of 6'4 receivers with his kind of ability and experience in Seattle's system either.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Kasen Williams is my wild card to make the team and it wouldn't shock me if he did.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We don't need a high floor guy as our 6th WR and would be better off with a riskier player. I agree that Kasen is at least in the conversation. He was impressive during the only practice I have been to so far and his measurables and physicality fit this offense perfectly. The knock on him has always been health but if he is currently healthy then I think he has a real shot to make the initial 53.

Now he may not last the full season and end up being stashed away on the IR, but as others have alluded to that isn't necessarily a bad thing with Richardson coming off the PUP list mid-season.

swagcity21

Reaction score
The vote is Rigged!!! :sarcasm_on:

Richardson starts out on the PUP list so he shouldn't be up there. and a lot can happen in 6 weeks with injury's and production. ultimately I think it stays the same and Matthews and Lockette are the two that are staying on the roster.

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":prqdqvih said:
Richardson and Lockett pretty much have the same skill set but Lockett can also return kicks. I would think this would put Richardson on thin ice. Fortunately they won't need to make that decision as long as he is injured. Norwood needs to have a big pre season or he will end up on the practice squad.

JMO but the only thing Richardson and Lockett have in common is size. Richardson is a straight up speed guy. Very raw in his route running. Lockett is not as straihgtline fast but he is shiftier and better all around as a receiver.

I see Richardson as strictly a slot player. Lockett IMO is going to be best outside.

McGruff

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1d4co068 said:
Attyla the Hawk":1d4co068 said:
Too early.

Matthews was instrumental in the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl if he isn't given a legit shot to shine this year there making a mistake . It's not like they have a lot of 6'4 receivers with his kind of ability and experience in Seattle's system either.

I don't understand how you are using this word . . . "Given" Can you explain? Because IMO almost nobody on this team should be "given" anything. If Matthew gets a shot it is because he will have earned it in practice and on the field. If he doesn't earn it in 2015, then what he did in 2014 is irrelevant.

If by "given" you mean given an opportunity, then that is what Pete does for all 90 players out there.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My sense is the poll mistakenly adds Richardson to the pile when it appears clear he will be PUP'd.

The three WRs truly needing assessment at this point are Lockette, Matthews, and Norwood. of those Norwood is by no means a roster lock and will need to show he deserves a roster spot over the other two. I think he's in a tough spot.

Latest posts