WR Roster Battle

Which 2 WR's are we most likely to keep?

• Lockette

Votes: 50 41.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 80 66.1%
  • Norwood

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Richardson

Votes: 83 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
McGruff":39inhgjr said:
Northwest Seahawk":39inhgjr said:
Attyla the Hawk":39inhgjr said:
Too early.

I'll assume that Baldwin, Lockett are locks. Richardson I fully expect to get PUPed, then subsequently IRed. But he's a lock if he's on the roster

I kind of think everyone else is potentially on the bubble.

Kearse, I believe is the safest. But if more than one of the bubble WRs really emerges, I definitely see a cap reason to drop him. This team is against the cap. And club control factors into roster decisions much more prevalently amongst the rotational players across the board.

Lockette is probably second safest. If we're talking about the 5th or 6th WR in the group, then ST value is going to figure prominently. Lockette is very good in that respect. For us to waive him is going to require his replacement to bring something to the table in that regard. T. Lockett is essentially a replacement for what we lost with Tate. We're not going to finally get Tate's replacement and then similarly lose ST value elsewhere. Ultimately, we don't have a ton of club control on Lockette either. Replacing him isn't vital in 2015, but factors into the 3 year plan starting in 2016. If a rook gets close Seattle could do a preemptive move here.

Matthews and Norwood and Williams really seem to be vying not just for a final roster spot, but also the potential to kick Kearse/Lockette to the curb. Again, Matthews has the least club control here. So that could certainly factor in if all things are equal. In my opinion, there is significant competition amongst the 4th+ WR spots.

It's also not a guarantee that we go with 6 WRs. The competition at RB is equally fierce. It's conceivable that we keep 6 there and only 5 WRs. Seattle didn't just have issues at KR/PR. Our ST blocking took severe hits with the losses of Maragos, Robinson and Farwell. I'd say those losses were greater than the loss of Tate.

Matthews was instrumental in the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl if he isn't given a legit shot to shine this year there making a mistake . It's not like they have a lot of 6'4 receivers with his kind of ability and experience in Seattle's system either.

I don't understand how you are using this word . . . "Given" Can you explain? Because IMO almost nobody on this team should be "given" anything. If Matthew gets a shot it is because he will have earned it in practice and on the field. If he doesn't earn it in 2015, then what he did in 2014 is irrelevant.

If by "given" you mean given an opportunity, then that is what Pete does for all 90 players out there.

I'll answer that this way as of today based on what I saw last year these are the best 3 WR's on the roster .
Baldwin
Kearse
Matthews

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is the first time in a long time I have thought we actually had 6 good WRs on the roster.

Lockette isn't one of them.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vmdpikm said:
This is the first time in a long time I have thought we actually had 6 good WRs on the roster.

They say Lockette has looked very much improved as a receiver. Then again, I have also heard he was not running with the first team on punts and kickoffs.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":36aifavb said:

I agree with this statement. He will never be anything but a 4rth or 5th WR on the depth chart time to see what someone else can do .

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2pcorjl3 said:
Scottemojo":2pcorjl3 said:

They say Lockette has looked very much improved as a receiver. Then again, I have also heard he was not running with the first team on punts and kickoffs.

They've said that every year. Of course, MAYBE it's REALLY true THIS year, and maybe his special teams value (he's known for making return men shit their pants) will keep him around.

Norwood is the guy I see leaving. His short arms will eventually limit him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":brqgnjjv said:
hawknation2015":brqgnjjv said:
Scottemojo":brqgnjjv said:

They've said that every year. Of course, MAYBE it's REALLY true THIS year, and maybe his special teams value (he's known for making return men shit their pants) will keep him around.

Norwood is the guy I see leaving. His short arms will eventually limit him.

Norwood has 32 1/8" arms . . . which is longer than the NFL average for a WR (31'').

Compare that to Tyler Lockett's 30'' arms or Kasen Williams' 32'' arms. I'm seeing conflicting things on Baldwin's arm length: one site lists it at 27'', which seems too short, even for a guy who is around 5'9. I haven't been able to find what was reported during his Pro Day.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-21-at-3.38.22-PM.png

Ozzy

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2key3jwe said:
Scottemojo":2key3jwe said:

I agree with this statement. He will never be anything but a 4rth or 5th WR on the depth chart time to see what someone else can do .
This is why I think Kasen has a chance over a guy like Lockette.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see a mysterious hamstring injury or something happening and guys being put on the 6 week injury list, to cover for us when we actually have a person get dinged up.

Basis4day

Reaction score
chris98251":qxj8yzej said:
I see a mysterious hamstring injury or something happening and guys being put on the 6 week injury list, to cover for us when we actually have a person get dinged up.

Unfortunately, if you practice during training camp you are no longer eligible for PUP. If they want to come back later in the year you need to carry them on the active roster. There is still IR designated to return, but you only get to use one of those a year.

Richardson is still on PUP, so he might come back after week 6 like you outlined.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":2aid5own said:
Kearse authored arguably the three biggest catches in franchise history. He's not going anywhere until he's properly dethroned.

Kevin Smith has probably already made the practice squad and at this point may be on the active roster if we played a game today. He's been that good. He's not small, shown very good hands, and was scary quick before the injury and has shown some flashes of catching that lightning again.

I'm really surprised to hear the McNeil switch. He'd been getting pretty amazing reviews. I think it means they are planning on keeping him one way or another.

I think you can take Matthews and Richardson off that list. There is no way we cut either one of them. I agree that you've got Lockette, Norwood, Smith and everybody else fighting for two spots. Also, they may not even keep 6 if they plan on playing Jimmy outside some or playing a lot of 2 TE.

Good Post.

I agree that the Seahawks could very well keep 5 with Richardson being stashed on the pup list for further evaluation.

The group that makes the most sense to me right now is:

Baldwin- under contract 2 years
Kearse- under contract 1 year
Mathews- under contract 2 years
Lockett- under contract 4 years
Norwood- under contract 3 years
Richardson- under contract 3 years (PUP)
----------
Lockette- under contract 1 year.

If I'm John Schnieder, im looking at talent, experience, plus club control.

With Lockette he has the experience but limited talent with some potential to improve. However, he also is 29 years old on a 1 year contract. He has great ability has a gunner but that was more so in '13 has an unknown. I thought he got phased out a little last year garnering more attention.

I view Smith, Williams, and Daniels as the prime PS candidates. Wouldnt surprise me though at all if they faux stashed Kasen Williams on I.R.

There are only 10 PS spots. Smith who can man all spots plus Daniels and McNiel would make alot of versatility sense. Daniels as a QB/WR/ST (I also think Daniels could get Shead treament and earn full salary.) Archer doesnt look PS worthy yet. McNiel as a WR/CB. Gives you 3 WRs but adds an extra QB and DB to the team while leaving 7 more roster spots on the PS.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If I had to pick between Norwood and Lockette I'd go with Norwood. He is younger, cheaper, under contract for longer, and has a higher ceiling. The downside is we pretty much know what we have with Lockette, a speedy straight line Wr who can play special teams. Never more than a #4. Norwood is too unknown to say what his capacity could be.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Pretty easy call for me. Granted, we will all probably be wrong.
PUP: PRICH

1.Baldwin
2.Kearse
3.Lockette
4.CMatthews
5.Whoever earns this spot/Too early to tell/Speculating is pointless/Nobody is a favorite/Prove it!

That being said, unless we go with 6 (which I doubt), I don't see Ricardo making the team.
Norwood is battling for his life against Kasen and a bunch of unproven commodities. I like Kasen Williams potential, but I believe the answer will be pretty clear by after the 2nd preseason game.

McGruff

Reaction score
Lockette (Ricarrdo) has been overrated as a special teamer based on a couple of splash plays. 2 years ago he wasn't even the 5th best coverage guy on our special teams unit. Lane, Smith, Johnson and Maragos were all way better. I feel confident backfilling our ST's unit with all the hard and fast rookies we keep drafting.

Lockette is a journeyman WR with no upside whatsoever.

netskier

Reaction score
McGruff, I generally agree with your posts, but disagree a bit here. Ricardo was the blocking engine that enabled Beast mode Two, making three blocks on that run, and almost making a fourth. He is a high effort guy.

His elite to speed enables him to get down field to stop many returns before they can start, by forcing fair catches.

If paired with a healthy Richardson, those two going deep can draw away two safeties from the LOS, thus opening up both the running game, and the rest of the passing game.

I like the idea of two fast receivers, two ultra quick receivers, plus two tall receivers, to selectively saturate the defense with either speed, or quickness, or height.

Speed. Richardson and Ricardo Lockett.

Quickness. Baldwin and Tyler Lockett.

Height. Mathews and Norwood.

All three dynamic duos combined with Graham.

netskier

Reaction score
Plus, I think I have read that he has made the catch of the day at least twice, and perhaps three times in camp so far.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brock said today the one guy turning heads is Kevin Smith. I have no idea what's going to happen I just hope Lockett is a starter sooner rather than later.

netskier

Reaction score
Why don't any of these reporters actually report actual results? Some statistics would be nice.

How many catches out of how many catchable balls, for example? Every day of camp.

Instead we are told that some one is turning heads.

Basis4day

Reaction score
netskier":ft40lh7w said:
Why don't any of these reporters actually report actual results? Some statistics would be nice.

How many catches out of how many catchable balls, for example? Every day of camp.

Instead we are told that some one is turning heads.

Such stats don't mean a whole lot (Unless of course they drop everything). Established QBs like a Brady or a Wilson take more risks in training camp to see what kind of throws they can get away with. It affects a statistical analysis of the WRers as a result.

netskier

Reaction score
True, but they mean more than nothing. Information is power. Every little "bit" helps.

Latest posts