Yes! I don't have to die! Yet...

nanomoz

Reaction score
Vive le Aroooooooos!

0 for 6 on 3rd down in the first half. Holy shit. At home. Against a team that had given up nearly 80 points in the first two weeks!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
AVL":3nnmoajt said:
Quit whining...

You don't get to tell me or other fans what to do greenhorn. :177692:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Aros":1ks38oou said:
I don't think this was an example game for how bad we are. There's a definite dichotomy between 12's who think this was a great win, yeah we have work to do still but overall great win, and the 12's like me that still think there are serious issues to address if the goal is getting back to the Super Bowl for the third straight year.

And what a problem to have, right?

Look, I was as happy as the next 12 walking out of the stadium. Beautiful day, my Hawks just gave an NFC conference rival a goose-egg in our house. The problem I encounter all of the time in here (and any NFL forum) is that there is the feeling that you become somehow less of a fan (even if it's not stated) if you gripe after a win. Truth is, we are ALL great fans. We simply choose to share our passion in different ways. For some it is to find the positive end of story, for others it's to dig into the problems even after a victory. And for many others it's somewhere in between.

One thing I am is honest. I am honest in real life face-to-face with people and I am the same behind a keyboard. I refuse to diffuse my thoughts just because I think it might come off wrong or upset the status quo. Honesty with my feelings will always trump saying nothing or riding the company line.

I am not always right but I am absolutely convicted in my beliefs when I type them out. So in that spirit I type the following:

The Seahawks are still one of the best teams in the NFL but I see we have areas to fix. I know the coaches and players are on it but as a fan you want those things fixed yesterday. I love my team, always will 16-0 or 0-16. W's are a magic elixir for players, coaches and fans.

Go on a winning streak and the fans have less to bitch about. It's a truism that is as old as dirt.

Again, you aren't wrong. On any level. You have every right to feel concerned at the surface.

But haven't we seen this script before? Multiple times? We saw this post at least 4 times last year. This team has the same problems it always has. It is nothing new.....and yet-

Haven't we been to the past two super bowls anyway?

Look, at any point our sluggish-ness could bite us in the butt in regards to the end of the year results. But until it does, I am going to accept our team as weirdly flawed, but beautiful.

The results speak for themselves.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree with dridiags post.

Watching the game, I was pissed that they passed on 3rd and 1, and didn't convert. I was yelling "that's what you get for being cute and throwing on 3rd and 1". Then they go out and run after that on 3rd and 1, and get smoked and lose 2 yards.

So I'm thinking, what's Bevell supposed to do ? He's not a total idiot. He's seen what we've done to our OL, he sees them in practice, and knows what they are and aren't capable of. If he's throwing on 3rd and 1, if he's dialing up more short, quick passes, and he's doing some trick plays, it's because he knows we can't dominate in the run game, yet.

That said, our offense is really bad. I'm honestly surprised that we have to build chemistry between Wilson and Graham. The guy has the biggest catch radius in the NFL. Wilson will chuck it up all day long to Kearse, so he's not adverse to throwing a jump ball. Hell, 2 years ago, he was chucking up jumpers to Baldwin.

I think it's a few things: Wilson had too many distractions this offseason. He's not as sharp as he was the last 2 years to start the year. He doesn't seem to know how to throw a back shoulder fade to Graham, or throw it to the opposite side of the defender for that matter. He's not helping his receivers box out defenders by throwing the ball right at them. He's not hitting guys in stride on crossing routes. He seems tentative (I blame the OL for this).

Overall, it's a good win, but I'm not happy scoring 6 points and going 0-6 on 3rd downs in the first half against a Bears team that has given up an average of over 30 points, at home, to their first two teams. I'm not happy that the Bears had NO sacks the first 2 games and we gave them not 2, not 3, but FOUR. This is a bad offense right now.

KC has scored more than we have at Lambeau, and they have a QB who is afraid of throwing the ball more than 10 yards in the air (and the entire league knows it), and more mediocre WRs than we do.

I'm not sure where our defense stands as of now. Sure, it was a dominating performance, but it was against a backup QB with absolutely no weapons, and they still couldn't stop the only option (Forte) in the 1st half.

On another note, can we pry Forte away from CHI ? He'd be a damned good replacement for Lynch and he's got to be tired of losing.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I'm too realistic as well. I was getting a 2012 vibe from this team before the year started, due to the green OL. I just hope we end up that hot.

morgulon1

Reaction score
drdiags":3fvai1vy said:
I think the Seahawks are forced to do the bargain basement thing with the OL but since Walter Jones and Hutch were playing together, the OL has been in a consistent state of flux. Cable has a set lineman type but the OL always seems to be in a state of coming together.

If Bevell has to go, how the Seahawks build the OL has to be re-considered in my opinion. It seems the Seahawks have a hard time on the offensive side of the ball when it comes to drafting talent. Lockett seems like a keeper, given the draft capital it took to get him, but the team has a lot of misses on the offensive side of the house.

Jeremy Bates with his crazy 4th down fades that never worked was looked at fondly by some but he was just as unorthodox as Bevell.

To me, this offense is what you are going to get as long as Pete is here. Maybe Bevell goes to the Dolphins or Colts this offseason then we get to find out. I am not counting on some earth-shaking offensive change, even with a new OC.

We glue an offensive line together with a RT at LG, a TE at RT a rookie at center. This includes a defensive lineman or two.

It's hard to go out and actually pay decent veterans when 4 players eat 80% of your cap.

It's funny though, the Patriots went out and drafted and are starting 2 rookies on their oline. Guys playing at their position though. They put up 50+ this Sunday. So it can be done.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Well stated. I've felt the same this season. I know it is a new season, but I still have the XLIX vomit taste in my mouth. But like you said, what a problem to have right? I'm with ya. This team has some major issues to fix.

Go Hawks.

Aros":g4h8yzfv said:
I don't think this was an example game for how bad we are. There's a definite dichotomy between 12's who think this was a great win, yeah we have work to do still but overall great win, and the 12's like me that still think there are serious issues to address if the goal is getting back to the Super Bowl for the third straight year.

And what a problem to have, right?

Look, I was as happy as the next 12 walking out of the stadium. Beautiful day, my Hawks just gave an NFC conference rival a goose-egg in our house. The problem I encounter all of the time in here (and any NFL forum) is that there is the feeling that you become somehow less of a fan (even if it's not stated) if you gripe after a win. Truth is, we are ALL great fans. We simply choose to share our passion in different ways. For some it is to find the positive end of story, for others it's to dig into the problems even after a victory. And for many others it's somewhere in between.

One thing I am is honest. I am honest in real life face-to-face with people and I am the same behind a keyboard. I refuse to diffuse my thoughts just because I think it might come off wrong or upset the status quo. Honesty with my feelings will always trump saying nothing or riding the company line.

I am not always right but I am absolutely convicted in my beliefs when I type them out. So in that spirit I type the following:

The Seahawks are still one of the best teams in the NFL but I see we have areas to fix. I know the coaches and players are on it but as a fan you want those things fixed yesterday. I love my team, always will 16-0 or 0-16. W's are a magic elixir for players, coaches and fans.

Go on a winning streak and the fans have less to bitch about. It's a truism that is as old as dirt.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
morgulon1":144lqu0b said:
drdiags":144lqu0b said:
I think the Seahawks are forced to do the bargain basement thing with the OL but since Walter Jones and Hutch were playing together, the OL has been in a consistent state of flux. Cable has a set lineman type but the OL always seems to be in a state of coming together.

If Bevell has to go, how the Seahawks build the OL has to be re-considered in my opinion. It seems the Seahawks have a hard time on the offensive side of the ball when it comes to drafting talent. Lockett seems like a keeper, given the draft capital it took to get him, but the team has a lot of misses on the offensive side of the house.

Jeremy Bates with his crazy 4th down fades that never worked was looked at fondly by some but he was just as unorthodox as Bevell.

To me, this offense is what you are going to get as long as Pete is here. Maybe Bevell goes to the Dolphins or Colts this offseason then we get to find out. I am not counting on some earth-shaking offensive change, even with a new OC.

We glue an offensive line together with a RT at LG, a TE at RT a rookie at center. This includes a defensive lineman or two.

It's hard to go out and actually pay decent veterans when 4 players eat 80% of your cap.

It's funny though, the Patriots went out and drafted and are starting 2 rookies on their oline. Guys playing at their position though. They put up 50+ this Sunday. So it can be done.
To me it's quite clear oline is the area Pete and John have struggled most in the draft. Only Okung has been the exception. Wish they could do what NE has done but I'm sure plenty of teams wish they'd found an All-Pro corner in round 5 & a feanchise QB in round 3.

Sealake80

Reaction score
In the 3rd game of 2013 vs NY Giants we got a shut out 23 -0. We didn't shut anybody out in 2014. We shut out the bears in the 3rd game this year. It's hard to do. Probably a good sign for us.

The defense might get really good by the end of the year and I believe the O can get real good too.

I would suggest not dying this season. We have lots of time to get it on track. Even if we lose next week.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's not how you start, it's how you finish and our third down conversions came around as we started pulling away.
Our offensive philosophy was truly evident as you could tell we had wore the Bears down by late in the third quarter. Rawls was able to get to the second level way more frequently. I'm not worried about our start. Dropped balls and a few of those darned false starts played a role in those early stalls. Plus, figure in we didn't get much from the Beast, the focal point of our offense, and I'd say we did fine. Gilliam still scares me at right tackle though. That needs to get corrected

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":273kaapw said:
You're 1-0

Can you really stop, now?

Mao! Mao!

You can't stop the Seahawks.

Ka kawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I guess a hawk would make more of a screech than a ka kaw, huh? I mostly have pigeons around me.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I disagree pretty whole heartedly that Bevell is holding the offense back. That doesnt mean I think he is awesome.. but.. I can see why Carroll likes him. His particular skill is getting the most out of what he has. Bevell doesnt get to make the draft choices, not even sure how much input he gets.. we hear more about Cable getting some, and part of that is because Cable knows hes getting the scraps of the draft most of the time. If you are getting a 5th round pick or later to add to your line, what do you want Tom? It forces Tom into money ball.. you arent going to get conventional guys in the 5th round that are better than conventional 2nd round picks.. so he says "get me a defensive guy who looks like X and can do Y".

Back to Bevell.. our Super Bowl team, that we barely lost started 2 UDFA backed up by 3 more UDFA. A 5th round TE and 2 more that were street free agents. A full back that was a street free agent. A scheme (read option) that no other team has been able to stick with and make work like Seattle does.

There are a lot of offensive geniuses out there that can probably put together a better offense, but their demands are that picks are used early and often on offense. Do we really think Wilson would be Wilson without Bevell? How many other O coordinators would change THEIR ways to fit him? How many could have implemented read option mid-season as Bevell did in 2012?

This has ended up sounding like a spirited defense of Bevell , and its not meant to be. Im just saying, he has obvious strong points that appeal to JS and PC.. they get to spend the dough on D, have a couple expensive guys on O, and get a decent offense on the cheap. Next year could be even cheaper if they dont bring Lynch back and if Graham ends up being a one year rental..then outside of Wilson the offensive is mostly bargain bin guys.

Blaze

Reaction score
I'm not an X's and O's guy so I'm not going to pretend that I am, however I will say that this Seahawks Offense of recent years has reminded me alot of one of those old generators that start spinning when you pull the handle back and it starts slowly spinning, slowly gaining momentum, and it starts spinning faster and faster and when it's at its optimum spin you SLAM!! that handle back into place. That's what I feel this year again, we'll all be pleasantly surprised by our bye week. :D

kmeleon

Reaction score
Sealake80":ha7nzphu said:
In the 3rd game of 2013 vs NY Giants we got a shut out 23 -0. We didn't shut anybody out in 2014. We shut out the bears in the 3rd game this year. It's hard to do. Probably a good sign for us.

The defense might get really good by the end of the year and I believe the O can get real good too.

I would suggest not dying this season. We have lots of time to get it on track. Even if we lose next week.

That wasn't week 3, it was more like week 14 or 15. Just fyi.