Yet another Saints fan here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbuck2907

Reaction score
Hey guys, another Saints' fan here. I joined this forum just to talk with you guys a little. I'm normally over at SaintsReport.com.

Most Saints fans don't know a whole lot about the Seahawks. But, I'll give you guys some general info about our team, or at least the way that I view our team, and if you have any questions or comments, I'll do what I can do discuss or answer.

I'm really not sure what to make of this game. I feel like if we can establish the run game, we will be fine. However, now that Walter Thurman is out, I'm sure Brees will test his backup.

I think the volume at your stadium could be a factor. The Superdome is incredibly loud for opposing teams, which is why we rarely lose at home. But, with that said, I think the dome's volume level gives us a little bit of a leg up in that we do hear those huge volumes every week; it's just that they are in our favor. Still, I think we might be a *little* more prepared for the 12th man than most teams.

I wouldn't take the Atlanta game as a serious reflection of our team. Basically, we had our starting guard (Evans) and running back (Sproles) sit out of the game in preparation for you guys. We played a very vanilla game and it was about 3rd game in less than 2 weeks. So, I like to think that we were a little tired and benching some of our starters for that game. Besides, Atlanta always plays us close. They are our main division rival.

One more thing about the noise, Brees and Payton always try to script the first 10 to 14 plays of ever game. So, barring the need to audible, having those plays pre-scripted will help deal with the crowd noise a little. I would think that everybody on the offense will know those plays before the game even starts.

I'm really curious to see how this game plays out. The last game that I remember very well against you guys was the playoff game a few years back. We were pretty banged up, and our running backs from that game were literally guys we had hired off the street the week before. Since then, we try to keep a stable of running backs-by-committee about 5 players deep (Sproles, Thomas, Ingram, Robinson, and I think Cadet, a special teams guy, and our full back will take a run every now and then). I've always thought that overall, Thomas is our most reliable, best back, Sproles is our most dangerous back, and Ingram is sort of a work in progress. Ingram has been horrible his entire time here, but has really come alive the last few games. To be fair, he was hurt with "turn toe" for a large part of his career so far, so maybe he's just playing healthy now. We tend to use him as our "power back"...if it can be said that have a power run game at all, he's it.

Our O runs a lot of screen passes, especially with Sproles, and if we can execute those, I think you guys will be in bad shape. However, those passe are easily tipped, so relying on the screen game too much makes me nervous.

Jimmy Graham is a beast, but has been playing injured. He has seen a little more activity each week, and I've heard conflicting stories about what his foot injury is, but he's not 100%. Still, he's very dangerous.

Our O-line is not nearly as good as it has been in past years, but it has gradually gotten better and better over the season. It seems to be performing decently right now.
Our D seems to be getting better and better throughout the season as well. We have a couple of injuries on D right now, which could play into your favor, but most of our D is still intact. When a team has a really great receiver (e.g. Megatron, Dez Bryant, etc) we tend to double team them and take them completely out of the game.

We lost the Pats game, in my opinion, due to a lot of bad officiating.
We lost to the Jets because the Jets genuinely beat us with defensive play and a good run game. The best way to beat Drew Brees is to keep the ball out of his hands. I think we could have game-planned better and perhaps beat the Jets, but overall, we didn't play well, and they did.

We have a very good road record in the Sean Payton era. We do win in outdoor stadiums a lot, but we don't tend to blow teams out on the road, which we often do at home.

You guys seem very, very confident that this will be a win for you. I don't know how to take that. Very few teams are very confident against us. Depending on which forum we visit, you will see a lot of homerism on our side as well, but I don't think, generally speaking, we are taking you guys ver lightly. We see you as a dangerous team.

Anyway, you guys have any questions?

Largent80

Reaction score
We are 10-1 and should be 11-0....why would you think we should not be confident?...Oh, also undefeated at home since 2011, and we have our starting R & L tackles back on the o-line, and Percy Harvin......

OrFan

Reaction score
So, why do all Saints fans seem to think they need to start yet another "Saints fan here" thread? Can't they post in all the others?

OP
OP
S

starbuck2907

Reaction score
OrFan":1lw7k81v said:
So, why do all Saints fans seem to think they need to start yet another "Saints fan here" thread? Can't they post in all the others?

A mod can merge them all. Might be better if you guys merged and pinned them all until after the game or something. I didn't know that there were at least two other threads already here. When I first arrived, I just saw one other one and wanted to start some conversation. You guys feel free to merge this into one of those. My bad.

This is actually the first time I've ever bothered posting on another team's message board.

I know very little about your team. I hear the defense is good, your QB is good, and that your homefield advantage is great.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Hawks are 10-1, of course we are confident. This game is here, check out Seattle's home record of late and check out Wilson's home record as a Hawk. I have a healthy respect for N.O., but the scripting plays vs the noise won't be a factor for you guys, all teams do that. As for the beastquake playoff game a few years back, you do realize the Hawks were only 7-9 that year and you guys were Super Bowl champs the previous season right? That was a mediocre Seattle team.

Back to the noise thing you are leaving out protection calls, audibles, and snap counts. All are effected by earsplitting noise.

Rob Ryan's defense doesn't scare me. Seattle handled it with ease last year in RW's 2nd game, putting up 27.

IMHO, sadly the biggest factor might be the zebras, as I don't think the NFL is too keen on having the NFC HFA decided in week 13 with a Seattle win, hopefully I'm wrong about that and we get a cleanly officiated game.

Brees, Graham, and Sproles going to be a tough customers no doubt and I expect them to give Seattle's D fits at times but I think they along with the offense will make enough plays for a Seattle victory. Just my .05 worth.

OP
OP
S

starbuck2907

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":300yl3si said:
IMHO, sadly the biggest factor might be the zebras, as I don't think the NFL is too keen on having the NFC HFA decided in week 13 with a Seattle win, hopefully I'm wrong about that and we get a cleanly officiated game.

You know, this is also my biggest fear. The refs have been astoundingly bad this year, affecting the outcome of far too many close games.

I'm sitting here watching the Carolina/Miami game right now...it's not a very great game to watch. The energy just isn't there, the stands are half empty. It's really making me want a "real" football game with that playoff atmosphere like we're going to get next week.

Outside of you guys, Carolina is who I am most worried about. They aren't looking too great today.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Huge difference in being used to hearing the noise, and being used to dealing with the noise. Drew Brees is used to hearing the noise....when he's on the sideline watching the defense. But now he's gonna be on the field with the noise, trying to communicate audibles, protection, etc. That's a whole 'nother beast.

That said, drew Brees, Peyton manning, etc are great quarterbacks, and can *minimize* the advantage. But make no mistake, it is an advantage.

C-Dub

Reaction score
starbuck2907":27lo2u3x said:
OrFan":27lo2u3x said:

A mod can merge them all. Might be better if you guys merged and pinned them all until after the game or something. I didn't know that there were at least two other threads already here. When I first arrived, I just saw one other one and wanted to start some conversation. You guys feel free to merge this into one of those. My bad.

This is actually the first time I've ever bothered posting on another team's message board.

I know very little about your team. I hear the defense is good, your QB is good, and that your homefield advantage is great.
We have a great QB, and one that can rival the best. We have a defense that is great, and much, much better than that mediocre garbage you put on the field. And our homefield advantage is the best.

I'd like to understand your definitions of good and great and how you're using those words to describe your team before furthering this discussion.

OP
OP
S

starbuck2907

Reaction score
Largent80":e4tw3sfp said:
Brees has played here before, but the rest of the team?

We still have a fair number of players on the team from the last time we played there. Obviously, there has been some changes, but I can think of 5-6 players offhand without evening thinking too deeply about it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Interrupted for a message from our sponsors.
uhaqyju8.jpg

We now return you to your regular scheduled program.

Steve2222

Reaction score
You hear we have a good defense and QB? Do you even watch football?

Our defense and Russell Wilson are well documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts