You are Russell Wilson: You Choose

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I don't understand why fans expect players to NOT treat this like a business. If I'm a player, I'm getting paid what I'm worth. I wouldn't really care about what the fans think, because fans ultimately expect players to put it all on the line even WHEN they take a paycut

Maybe if owners, GMs, and coaches really want to win, they should take pay cuts too? Seriously, why are players the only ones expected to make a business sacrifice.

I'll never care about the Brady comparison because A...Belicheck doesn't spend the extra cap space anyway and B...his wife makes 300 million. If my wife made 300 million, sacrificing 5-10 million or so a year wouldn't be a big deal

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1mhkg1uu said:
I don't understand why fans expect players to NOT treat this like a business. If I'm a player, I'm getting paid what I'm worth. I wouldn't really care about what the fans think, because fans ultimately expect players to put it all on the line even WHEN they take a paycut

Maybe if owners, GMs, and coaches really want to win, they should take pay cuts too? Seriously, why are players the only ones expected to make a business sacrifice.

I'll never care about the Brady comparison because A...Belicheck doesn't spend the extra cap space anyway and B...his wife makes 300 million. If my wife made 300 million, sacrificing 5-10 million or so a year wouldn't be a big deal

Fans react this way because of a couple things:

1) not every player is simply interested in money as their ultimate motivator. Playing with certain other players may be more rewarding, along with living in a certain area, playing for a certain coach, or recognizing the chances to win are greater in some places than others. Money usually talks, but it doesn't have to be the final factor.

2) Some players have occasionally taken lower $ contracts for some of the reasons listed above, and that places hope in the minds of fans (who dream that the players had the best of motives) that perhaps this year, our stars will take less than market value.

I completely understand when players take the money-first approach. They have their own interests to serve. The Front Office has limited resources (within the cap, anyways), but usually wishes to pay it's players what they deserve without costing the team wins. That's the tough part, and where business decisions get made.

LTH

Reaction score
The one thing ive learned about this game its all about the money... Holmgren said it best when he said when a player says its not about the money, its about the money...

but if im Wilson i sign an extension to the end of Carroll's contract... and then win another SB... when Carroll retires then i would move on... Thats what i would do...but truthfully, i dont think Wilson is that smart...he is listening to his wife... money fame and NY....

LTH68

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson has won everything already, other then padding his legacy in Seattle what is holding him here other then having to move out of his home. Money is the only thing that really can go up going forward for him if he is still thinking of owning a NFL team someday. If he were to go to a Contender that needs a Franchise guy at QB he could get a couple more Super Bowls and cement his HOF status. NY is not there in that ball park yet, we are closer then they are. Buffalo, isn't sexy enough but closer, Miami is a disaster but do have Tannehill whom we liked as a trade option but I don't think have enough draft capital otherwise, would have said the Jags, but the have Foles now, Cincinnati is about the only place I could see him going in as a improvement, but they are cheap and have little to offer also in draft capital. Also other then NY and maybe Miami not a lot of sexy places on this list. The L.A Chargers have Rivers but why would we send Wilson there for another High Priced guy on the actual down side, that's what would probably happen unless there is a three way deal.

Not as much out there for what we would want and where he would like to go for a extension of his contract that is ready to win with him as the missing link. He would have to have a deal he liked in place to go there I would think, nobody wants to give up the farm for a one year rental.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
Max deal now with the understanding it will be reworked in the future to make it more team friendly as the team needs to make room. Doesn't lose any money on the rework, just when he gets the money

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1lcpydjr said:
Russell doesn't even pick up the phone at 34 mil per. He makes far more than that by doing nothing.

Exactly it's going to be in the 40 million range it won't be much more than that Seattle won't pay him much more than 40 million a year and even that is questionable. My guess is there is no deal done this season. I don't think the FO will trade him either but this is the year to do it if there going to because he still has a contract and it will only get more difficult to make a trade and probably get less in return if they try it after his contract expires. I think they have to seriously consider trading him if there not going to resign him now. What i worry will happen is he plays here 2 more season's then leaves and we get hosed in a trade or get nothing at all.

Seymour

Reaction score
LTH":2w60hfm6 said:
The one thing ive learned about this game its all about the money... Holmgren said it best when he said when a player says its not about the money, its about the money...

but if im Wilson i sign an extension to the end of Carroll's contract... and then win another SB... when Carroll retires then i would move on... Thats what i would do...but truthfully, i dont think Wilson is that smart...he is listening to his wife... money fame and NY....

LTH68

According to who exactly? :roll:

Ohh that right..."it makes sense" (admitted entertainment industry agent speculation) according to Colin Cowherd therefor it is now fact. :141847_bnono:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
My guess is they are hung up on guaranteed money.
Why would Wilson want any contract longer than 4 years if he's not paid top dollar and not getting to the open market. I bet JS wants to do a longer contract even if he has to pay Rodgers type money.
JS will gitter dun.

AirStrike

Reaction score
When you have a proven QB you sign him to whatever he wants. You don't let players like that out of the building because it makes everything harder. Drafting, free agency, game preparation. I sure as hell don't want to go into the season with some mid-round rookie or a Case Keenum type standing under centre.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's amazing how many people think they actually know what Russ is thinking and/or assume his wife actually makes his decisions. :roll:

Tical21

Reaction score
Hypothetically....is there a number that Russ' camp could come back with where you would have to say "sorry Russ, we just can' do that?"

Tical21

Reaction score
AirStrike":3apf1fmw said:
When you have a proven QB you sign him to whatever he wants. You don't let players like that out of the building because it makes everything harder. Drafting, free agency, game preparation. I sure as hell don't want to go into the season with some mid-round rookie or a Case Keenum type standing under centre.
You mean you wouldn't want the next Russell Wilson?

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
AirStrike":3c6o2jdd said:
Which is why he won't get out of the building......